Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubel View Post
But still cutting the power from a device designed to operate 24x7 clearly puts a little extra strain on it.
That's an argument as old as the HDD itself. Some people argue that leaving it spinning 24/7 shortens the life while others say that the strain of constantly spinning up from a stop shortens the life. Studies have been done that favor both positions, but usually the margin of error is about the same as the difference.

That being said, I agree that it doesn't seem worth the risk for such a minor power savings.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

I run mine all the time and they are connected to to a ups like all my electronics. But I can see why someone might shut it off for half the day. The savings add up from multiple devices. A dollar here and a dollar there add up in the savings on the electric bill each month.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm just not that frugal.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #34
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's an argument as old as the HDD itself. Some people argue that leaving it spinning 24/7 shortens the life while others say that the strain of constantly spinning up from a stop shortens the life. Studies have been done that favor both positions, but usually the margin of error is about the same as the difference.

That being said, I agree that it doesn't seem worth the risk for such a minor power savings.
Yes sir it is. One day TiVo's will use SSD's and that won't matter anymore. I'd also worry about the power supply from the daily shutoffs.
pbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #35
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubel View Post
So I'm wondering if the power savings (Roughly $10/$15) a year, is outweighed by the potential damage to the TiVo. All of those hard power cuts aren't great for the drive. Ever had any problems? How long have you been doing that for? Just wondering out loud...
Been doing for the last 3 years, without any problems, nothing every corrupted that I saw, the TiVo may fix the files itself as people have the power cut to TiVos all the time in normal use, power loss, a hard re-boot, moving the TiVo, etc. I do give it 2.5 hours after 2AM to make sure any software update is atomically put in the TiVo. The last thing TiVo would want is many people having problems after any power interruptions as most TiVo users, not on this forum, do not use a UPS on the TiVo.
As for the electronics, I turn off my TV, my DVD player, my sound amp. system, and my Computer (to sleep mode), not any problem with modern electronics.
People have their own hang up on this subject, so do what you feel good about. Long term heat can harm electronics as starting up electronics may, never saw any study on the subject.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #36
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Been doing for the last 3 years, without any problems, nothing every corrupted that I saw, the TiVo may fix the files itself as people have the power cut to TiVos all the time in normal use, power loss, a hard re-boot, moving the TiVo, etc. I do give it 2.5 hours after 2AM to make sure any software update is atomically put in the TiVo. The last thing TiVo would want is many people having problems after any power interruptions as most TiVo users, not on this forum, do not use a UPS on the TiVo.
As for the electronics, I turn off my TV, my DVD player, my sound amp. system, and my Computer (to sleep mode), not any problem with modern electronics.
People have their own hang up on this subject, so do what you feel good about. Long term heat can harm electronics as starting up electronics may, never saw any study on the subject.
Glad you haven't had any problems. You aren't really turning off those other items just putting them in standby mode, unless your actually unplugging them all. Seems like a lot of efforts with little gain to power cycle the TiVo daily, but hey if it doesn't hurt anything and saves you a couple bucks a year sounds good to me.

One day I'd love a house with power meters on every outlet I could review from a web console. One day..
pbubel is offline   Reply With Quote