TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
cwnelson

Removing My CableCard

I have been over the last year been trying to figure out the best way to record cable shows that I can download onto computer now that I have moved to an area with only one cable company which sets the CCI byte on all (even "analog") cable channels to 0x02. Before I moved I had another company that set 0x00 so you can imagine my frustration. Right now I just have an old Series 2 that I use, but its picture quality has degraded over the years and it really doesn't look great even on Best Quality. Plus the transfer times are ridiculously slow.

My question is this: I noticed today when I recorded a show on both the SD and the HD stations that they both took up the exact same amount of space on the hard drive. I looked at both and they are both HD quality. I checked other channels and it looks like all stations are HD except a few that are only in SD. This made me wonder what would happen if I removed the Cablecard and told the Tivo that I would not be using one. Would that mean that the SD stations could now be recorded 1) in HD, since they appear that way now, and 2) unencrypted, so that I can copy freely in HD? Of course, this would mean that I would still not receive certain channels so if there was something I wanted to watch on strictly digital channels, I'd have to put the cablecard back in and do the setup again. But if there was a show I really wanted to have in HD, this might be a way.

I wanted to ask here before I did any experiments. I plan to remove the card and then do the setup and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!
cwnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwnelson View Post
I have been over the last year been trying to figure out the best way to record cable shows that I can download onto computer now that I have moved to an area with only one cable company which sets the CCI byte on all (even "analog") cable channels to 0x02. Before I moved I had another company that set 0x00 so you can imagine my frustration. Right now I just have an old Series 2 that I use, but its picture quality has degraded over the years and it really doesn't look great even on Best Quality. Plus the transfer times are ridiculously slow.

My question is this: I noticed today when I recorded a show on both the SD and the HD stations that they both took up the exact same amount of space on the hard drive. I looked at both and they are both HD quality. I checked other channels and it looks like all stations are HD except a few that are only in SD. This made me wonder what would happen if I removed the Cablecard and told the Tivo that I would not be using one. Would that mean that the SD stations could now be recorded 1) in HD, since they appear that way now, and 2) unencrypted, so that I can copy freely in HD? Of course, this would mean that I would still not receive certain channels so if there was something I wanted to watch on strictly digital channels, I'd have to put the cablecard back in and do the setup again. But if there was a show I really wanted to have in HD, this might be a way.

I wanted to ask here before I did any experiments. I plan to remove the card and then do the setup and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

What cable company? They might be using digital simulcasting which airs a digital feed if you have the right hardware (cable card). The cable card also maps the channels you likely will get the analog feed without the cable card.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
cwnelson

Time Warner. I only yesterday noticed this, so it's a new development.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
cwnelson

Well I did some experimenting. I should have figured this out before I bothered, but I pulled out the cablecard, and then all cable stations went black. I then turned off the tuning adapter and then I got only the analog channels. So all this does is make it impossible for me to save space by recording SD channels when I want to. It does resolve a former issue where there were a few HD channels I couldn't get except by turning the tuning adapter off. I may just have to see about getting the Roamio for more space, but unfortunately this does not fix the famous TWC CCI byte issue. I hope I get another cable option but until then I'm stuck. I've pretty much exhausted all other avenues.