TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
ckaminski74

question about selling a tivo box

since comcraptic gave me a very hard time i am sad to say I no longer am able to use my TIVO. Is there a market for a used TIVO???
ckaminski74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

If it has lifetime then yes. Without lifetime it depends on the box. If it's a Premiere you can probably get something for it. A TiVo HD maybe. Anything else and it's probably trash unless you can find someone who wants it for parts.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
MeInDallas

Yea what model is it? Does it have lifetime subscription or no?
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
ckaminski74

its an XL monthly subscription never left the cabinet.

its never failed me only thing is comcast failed me or i wouldnt be going to direct.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
MeInDallas

Is it a Tivo HD XL or a Premiere XL?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
ckaminski74

Premiere XL
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
MeInDallas

On Ebay they seem to be going for different prices with no lifetime. I think its just kinda what you are willing to take for it. Some are going for around $100+ brand new and the used ones as little as $41 from what I've seen in the completed listings. Unless youre willing to take that kinda money for it, I would just hold onto it for awhile and see if prices get better. I think right now is a bad time to list one with the new ones just being released.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TiVo-Premier...p2047675.l2557
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
ckaminski74

thats what i was thinking of selling it at about 50$
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
MeInDallas

You would probably get it. Just list it with bids starting at $50 and if anyone wants it just let them bid on it more, thats really all you can do at this point. Its hard to get anything for them without a subscription. I have several here I'd like to sell, but I think it will be way more trouble than what its worth.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaminski74 View Post
thats what i was thinking of selling it at about 50$
Can't hurt to put it on Craigslist.

You should use DvrBARS to make an image of the drive first to share with the needy since XLs are probably harder to come by than regular Premiere images.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #11
Tex94

I'm thinking of selling my Tivo HDXL with lifetime service as I have a new Roamio Pro on the way. If I do sell it, is there any way to delete it from My Account at Tivo.com? I cannot find any way to do that. Maybe it doesn't matter? I just don't like the thought of someone else potentially getting access to my account with my other Tivos through this box? Mam I just being paranoid?
Tex94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
I'm thinking of selling my Tivo HDXL with lifetime service as I have a new Roamio Pro on the way. If I do sell it, is there any way to delete it from My Account at Tivo.com? I cannot find any way to do that. Maybe it doesn't matter? I just don't like the thought of someone else potentially getting access to my account with my other Tivos through this box? Mam I just being paranoid?
When you sell the unit just include a note in the box telling the new owner to move the unit after he set it up, OR if you know the E-Mail and name and address of the new owner just have TiVo move itself, no big deal just uncheck the two boxes in DVR preferences on your TiVo web page.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Tex94

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
When you sell the unit just include a note in the box telling the new owner to move the unit after he set it up, OR if you know the E-Mail and name and address of the new owner just have TiVo move itself, no big deal just uncheck the two boxes in DVR preferences on your TiVo web page.
Thanks, i must be dense though as i can't figure out how to set it up with a new email. I did uncheck the boxes on the DVR preferences which is good. But I tried to set it up as a new device on tivo.com and it said the device is already active. I'm sure I'm missing something?

Edit: never mind, just found on tivo.com that I need to call customer service with the info. Thanks for the help.

I can't understand why they want me to call though, seems cheaper for them to just let me enter a new name and email on the site.

Last edited by Tex94 : 09-01-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Tex94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex94 View Post
Thanks, i must be dense though as i can't figure out how to set it up with a new email. I did uncheck the boxes on the DVR preferences which is good. But I tried to set it up as a new device on tivo.com and it said the device is already active. I'm sure I'm missing something?

Edit: never mind, just found on tivo.com that I need to call customer service with the info. Thanks for the help.

I can't understand why they want me to call though, seems cheaper for them to just let me enter a new name and email on the site.
You can't move any Lifetime TiVo without someone calling TiVo, there is a good reason for that.