TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
JesseBearden

Comcast Installation Issues

I got a new Roamio to replace my TivoHD last week. I moved over the cable card and re-paired it via a call to Comcast. None of the channels(Other than Ion and Home Shopping) seemed to come up so I called Comcast again. They recommended I get a new cable card.

I went and they actually gave me 2 in case one was bad. Both of those were the same result. I can see Ion and the home shopping network, but no other channels.

The installer is here now. He can't seem to get it to work. He's saying it might be because they don't have Roamio in their system yet, although he's tried multiple other things.

Does anyone have any other thoughts? I only have "Limited Basic", so I'm only supposed to get like 17 channels. Unfortunately, I only get 2 :/
JesseBearden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Are you calling their dedicated CableCARD line?

Comcast CableCARD Line
1-877-405-2298
Old 08-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
JesseBearden

Yeah. They weren't much help and eventually told me to have a tech come out. He came out and messed with it for about 2 hours and eventually told me that he didn't think the Roamio was supported in Seattle yet.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBearden View Post
Yeah. They weren't much help and eventually told me to have a tech come out. He came out and messed with it for about 2 hours and eventually told me that he didn't think the Roamio was supported in Seattle yet.
They botched the install. It should have been easy to move the card to the other TiVo and then send in the new numbers. The card was already on your account so they must have disabled it.
Here is some info I posted in another thread:
If you are not familiar with CableCard screens and where to get the information that is needed here is some links to help.
Accessing the CableCard MMI screens:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2567
Motorola Troubleshooting screens:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2569
Cisco/SA Troubleshooting screens:
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2571

Do not remove the CableCard from the slot unless you are told so by the cable company. If you need to reset the card do so by restarting the TiVo. Removing the card from the slot may add to your problems.

If a CableCard is bad you will get a black box on your screen with a CableCard error code. Write down the number and call your cable company. If you do not get any error code then there is no problem with the card. The problem will be with the cable company not having the card entered into their system and your account properly.
If a technician shows up with more cards than needed then you are already in trouble. The links above will help you determine if the card is paired properly.

Up until last year when I got two new replacement cards, I used the same S Card since 2004 and a M Card since 2008 with no issues. These two cards were replaced in 2012 when I transitioned to a new headend. These two cards were in my two Kuros and since last month, are now in my two Premiere 4s. I actually own my two cards as I had to buy them at the time they were originally issued in 2004 and 2008.

Restart your TiVo and then use the links to see if you have the right numbers on the conditional access screens. If not try to have a tech come to your home and while he is there call TiVo and have them help setting up the card properly. This will eliminate any stupidity on the cable company's behalf.
The sad thing about all this is any problems cable companies have with CableCards is added to a list of complaints and is then used as an argument with the FCC to end support for the technology. Most of the problems is created by themselves as CableCards is easy to use.

Last edited by Jed1 : 08-26-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
jfh3

Great advice by Jed1.

Most "bad" CableCARDs aren't. If your card was working just before you put it in the Roamio, the odds of it going bad are very, very slim.

Make sure your card shows validated. If not, have the cablecard support line re-pair and re-validate. If that doesn't fix the issue, have them delete the CableCARD from the system, add it as new, and then pair/validate. If that doesn't work, have a field tech check the signal on your line. If OK, ask for a new card and repeat. If not OK, fix signal level and repeat above steps.

There is also the possibility that the tuner in the box is bad.

Also - any idea that the Roamio isn't supported in Seattle is BS. If they insist on a model, call it a Premiere if they don't have Roamio in their list. There is NO difference to the headend.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
JesseBearden

Thanks for all of the feedback...

I've always had Con: Yes and Val: V. I've never seen an "Auth" on that screen though. When I called Tivo they said sometimes Auth isn't there and that's okay.

I did try to have the tech call Tivo but he told me no. He did check the signal and it seemed okay. I live in a brand new building, and up until I got the Roamio, my Series 3 was performing fine, so it'd be quite odd if there was a signal issue.

Having them "delete, re-pair and re-validate" seems interesting. Thus far I have only called and given them the numbers. I've never told them to delete anything.

After a talk with Tivo last night, they walked me through some screens. The guy said his gut told him that Comcast didn't have it set up correctly, but the next course of action was probably to just send the Tivo back and get a new one .

As a last ditch effort, I'll probably put the cable card back in the Series 3 and see if it works. If it does I'll send the Tivo back.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
fdisker2000

I would call until you get someone who knows what they are doing or call TiVo. I once had no cable for a week after moving a cablecard from a Premiere XL to an XL4. Every channel worked except premiums after switching the card; before pairing.
When I called Comcast I lost everything. I exchanged the card three times, then they told me my TiVo was bad. I called TiVo and they did a three-way call with Comcast. The woman from TiVo had to walk the Comcast people through Step by Step.
This morning I switched my cablecard from my XL4 to my Roamio Pro and I had no problems. Comcast had it paired and validated in five minutes.

P.S.: I'm in Tacoma/ Ft. Lewis
fdisker2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdisker2000 View Post
I would call until you get someone who knows what they are doing or call TiVo. I once had no cable for a week after moving a cablecard from a Premiere XL to an XL4. Every channel worked except premiums after switching the card; before pairing.
When I called Comcast I lost everything. I exchanged the card three times, then they told me my TiVo was bad. I called TiVo and they did a three-way call with Comcast. The woman from TiVo had to walk the Comcast people through Step by Step.
This morning I switched my cablecard from my XL4 to my Roamio Pro and I had no problems. Comcast had it paired and validated in five minutes.

P.S.: I'm in Tacoma/ Ft. Lewis
Hah, so I guess all the Roamios are why the CableCard line is busy. I was doing the same thing this morning.

I was rather surprised myself that it went smoothly. Swapped the card, instantly had non-premium channels come up fine. All 6 tuners cooperating. A couple channels like MGMHD wouldn't come up due to the lack of pairing. Took a while to get through to a representative, but they had me paired quickly once I was in, and even the rep seemed a bit surprised at how quickly the card came to life with the activation signal. Still waiting for XOD to show up, but that I expect to take a little bit.

Now we'll see if it remains stable going forward.

Hopefully you get things sorted out, OP.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBearden View Post
Thanks for all of the feedback...

I've always had Con: Yes and Val: V. I've never seen an "Auth" on that screen though. When I called Tivo they said sometimes Auth isn't there and that's okay.

I did try to have the tech call Tivo but he told me no. He did check the signal and it seemed okay. I live in a brand new building, and up until I got the Roamio, my Series 3 was performing fine, so it'd be quite odd if there was a signal issue.

Having them "delete, re-pair and re-validate" seems interesting. Thus far I have only called and given them the numbers. I've never told them to delete anything.

After a talk with Tivo last night, they walked me through some screens. The guy said his gut told him that Comcast didn't have it set up correctly, but the next course of action was probably to just send the Tivo back and get a new one .

As a last ditch effort, I'll probably put the cable card back in the Series 3 and see if it works. If it does I'll send the Tivo back.
Jesse,
If you have two working channels then it may be that Comcast does not have the channels you subscribe to authorized on your account. I understand that Comcast has scrambled almost all of their channels even the Broadcast channels. Tune to a channel your supposed to have and then check you conditional access screen in the cablecard menu and see if it has an S after Auth: You can cycle through the tuners on that screen by pressing the select button on your remote.

Last edited by Jed1 : 08-27-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Great advice by Jed1.

Most "bad" CableCARDs aren't. If your card was working just before you put it in the Roamio, the odds of it going bad are very, very slim.

Make sure your card shows validated. If not, have the cablecard support line re-pair and re-validate. If that doesn't fix the issue, have them delete the CableCARD from the system, add it as new, and then pair/validate. If that doesn't work, have a field tech check the signal on your line. If OK, ask for a new card and repeat. If not OK, fix signal level and repeat above steps.

There is also the possibility that the tuner in the box is bad.

Also - any idea that the Roamio isn't supported in Seattle is BS. If they insist on a model, call it a Premiere if they don't have Roamio in their list. There is NO difference to the headend.
In ten years I have never seen a bad card. Most issues are related to not having the card authorized to work with the headend, mistakes made in validating the card, mistakes made on the customers account, or just plain old signal issues.
CableCards are just a piece of hardware like cable boxes and cable modems and if any hardware is not staged to work with the headed then the hardware will never work. I laugh when I see people or techs getting numerous cards and hoping that one works. If you see a tech showing up with numerous cards then you are in trouble.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
tomhorsley

I just got an answer over in the comcast forums about the rollout in South Florida (which will bring updated firmware to cable cards as the only important bit I want), and they are currently expecting "before the end of the year" (of course just a little while ago they were expecting "this summer").
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #12
JesseBearden

Well, I plugged in my TivoHD and moved the cable card over and called Comcast again. It seems to be getting all of the channels properly.

I'm going to move it back over to the Roamio and call again in a bit, but it's looking like maybe there actually is an issue with my Roamio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
JTune to a channel your supposed to have and then check you conditional access screen in the cablecard menu and see if it has an S after Auth:
I don't have it there, but I've never had "Auth" show up in conditional access. I asked Tivo support about this and they said sometimes it's not there. I don't have it on my TivoHD that I just plugged in either, and it's working fine.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
jfh3

When you move the card back to the Roamio, see if you get most of your channels BEFORE you call Comcast back. You should see all but the CC=2 (i.e. protected) channels.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
brianric

Took me over an hour getting Comcast to properly pair my Roamio Pro. Before I initially called I was getting the non protected channels. Comcast was trying to tell me I wasn't suppose to get channels like AMC. I said "Really?". seeing that my Premiere XL was receiving it. Had to escalate to a higher tier of support to resolve the problem.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
JesseBearden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
When you move the card back to the Roamio, see if you get most of your channels BEFORE you call Comcast back. You should see all but the CC=2 (i.e. protected) channels.
Just the two channels again. Comcast is closed for the night, so I'll call back and try to pair again tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
Are you calling their dedicated CableCARD line?

Comcast CableCARD Line
1-877-405-2298
+1

5 minutes (at most) on the phone and i was DONE. All premium channels working (and luckily i have a Motorola card that can handle all 6 tuners).
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
JesseBearden

I did the swap back to the Roamio and it was still no channels. I swapped back and forth with the TivoHD a few times. Even without activation, the TivoHD gets the normal broadcast channels(ABC, NBC, etc).

One day the Roamio actually got a couple of channels, but with really terrible reception. I noticed the Signal and SnR on the Roamio were considerably worse(60 signal in Roamio vs. 100 in Tivo HD)

I'm in the process of returning the Roamio to Amazon for a new one. Will report back when I have an update.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #18
Rkkeller

Here I am "again" :< everytime I get a new TiVo it takes days and multiple calls to finally get all my channels.

I think they farmed out the Cablecard division now as my first call I got a women who I could hardly understand and it was like she was reading a script or something. I went from most channels to no available channels then she said it could take up to an hour and to call back if still problems.

Of course I called back right away and a semi more helpful person, and all my channels but premiums came on, but when I mentioned them she said she doesn't see any on my account.

I didn't want to bother any more so I said OK and hung up and here I am. Going to try to call today but not sure they work on Sundays or not.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #19
Rkkeller

Woooooooooooooooo... Looks like they work on Sunday and I am all set. All my channels so far and even On Demand.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger, but I just can't seem to psyche up for all the inevitable hassles and frustration I'm going to have getting it working with Comcast... It's a damn shame for TiVo as I know this is probably costing them some sales. If it were "plug and play" I'd have already bought a Pro. I'm still trying to convince myself to give it a try anyway...
Old 09-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #21
jadziedzic

It took me longer on hold waiting for a Comcast rep (about 5 minutes) than it took to re-pair the CableCARD I pulled from my TiVo HD to work with my Roamio Pro (about 2 minutes).
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger, but I just can't seem to psyche up for all the inevitable hassles and frustration I'm going to have getting it working with Comcast...
Don't let these concerns about CableCards scare you away. Back in 2007 I let it scare me for a year. My two Cablecard installations with Comcast in Minnesota went smoothly, and I was kicking myself for having waited.

Sure, some will have issues, because the process is error prone, requiring humans to type in complex strings of numbers, but remember that the Internet forums are mostly full of people lookin for help with issues. The large percentage of people who don't have issues don't bother to go on the Internet and write about it.

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #23
Rkkeller

Believe it or not, I almost didn't get the Roamio as I didn't want the hassle that always happens with Comcast. Last time when I got my Premier it was a nightmare and I had to email that special Comcast corporate email to get it straightened out.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #24
bhowardtn18

Service call

With each new TIVO requiring a cablecard, I have picked up the card myself and done the initial install, only to have to call Comcast to come out each time. And it sometimes takes several visits before we are up and fully running. My belief is that there are limited folks within comcast who can actually solve problems, and I keep having them visit until I get one of those folks. Good luck.
bhowardtn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #25
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhowardtn18 View Post
With each new TIVO requiring a cablecard, I have picked up the card myself and done the initial install, only to have to call Comcast to come out each time. And it sometimes takes several visits before we are up and fully running. My belief is that there are limited folks within comcast who can actually solve problems, and I keep having them visit until I get one of those folks. Good luck.
Lately, have you tried the dedicated CableCard install phone number. I've used that service twice, and twice my pairing went perfectly.

Cable Card Pairing (887) 405-2298
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Rkkeller

Thats the number I used and it took 2 days and multiple calls to get someone that could get it right.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #27
supasta

I am experiencing this issue with my Premiere t the moment.
I get most of the channels, but am missing some biggies suddenly (NBC, FOX)
This happens every few months. Previously I have been able to fix it after multiple calls to the Comcast Cable Card line (I will agree that it takes multiple calls to actually find someone who can fix the problem. So far I have replaced the CC four times and called a countless number or times.)
However, I am tiring of this happening so often lately. So, they offered to have a tech come out, and I obliged. At the least I can have it documented somewhere. Or, maybe the tech can actually resolve the problem.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
Rkkeller

I have been thru this with every new TiVo I get and its a shame. Comcast should just make a website and we can enter all the numbers ourselves and bypass them. My problems have always been on their programming end.

I want to upgrade the HD in one of my TiVo's right now, but the "Comcast factor" is stopping me.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #29
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I have been thru this with every new TiVo I get and its a shame. Comcast should just make a website and we can enter all the numbers ourselves and bypass them. My problems have always been on their programming end.
I believe that this exists. I remember seeing the page during my last problem event. IRRC, it was a simple email web entry page, and said something about taking a week to process.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #30
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post

I want to upgrade the HD in one of my TiVo's right now, but the "Comcast factor" is stopping me.
If the cable companies would just make web sites for this stuff, the the TiVo itself ought to be able to access the sites and plug the numbers in for us, thus insuring it is absolutely impossible to make a transcription error on a long cable card ID number, etc.

Cue "airplane" voice: "Nah! That's just what they'd *expect* you to do!"...
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote