TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsvtdriver View Post
I'm supplying the caps... or I was going to...

So I put the PS I replaced 701 on into my parts S3 to take it to the shop so they have a complete unit to test the PS in. The parts S3 will boot far enough to test the PS (Bad HD). I take it upstairs and plug it in to confirm it still at least powers on the fan and ... it boots. Light come on... video on the screen, etc.

Maybe I didn't let the cap cool down enough post soldering before testing?

Go figure.
Gremlins, obviously.

So do you have a left-over non-working power supply now or what?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #32
sdsvtdriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Gremlins, obviously.

So do you have a left-over non-working power supply now or what?
I have 2 working power supplies.

One all original with distended 701, one with no distended caps.
sdsvtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #33
HerronScott

So there was some issue with the capacitor that you replaced that they fixed for you (bad solder joint or solder bridge)? Did they tell you what the problem was?

In any case, glad that you have it working.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #34
sdsvtdriver

I didn't take anything to the repair shop yet. Here's the results so far:

My original PS that I replaced 701 on does not fully power up my S3. It will, however, power up the parts S3 completely (I put a new HD in it).

The parts PS (with bulging 701) powers up my S3, albeit with 3 LEDs displayed on power up on instead of 4 (no green). Not sure what this means.

I have no idea why the PS I "fixed" does not power up my S3 but will power up the other. The differences between the two boxes are fan, HD, and lack of cable cards. The fan will come on and the HD spins up and ticks, but no display at all. Maybe the PS isn't putting out enough voltage due to my soldering job or other bad caps.

Current plan is to take the parts S3 and my "fixed" PS to the shop and have them replace all the caps, including my 701. Then try that PS in my S3. If it works, then take the parts PS with bulging 701 and have that fixed.

Last edited by sdsvtdriver : 09-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #35
sfhub

The cablecards can make a difference. My unit that wasn't booting (because of bad caps) would boot with cablecard 2 removed.

Caps can be bad even without a bulge. Bulge almost always means bad or starting to go bad. However not having bulge doesn't equal good.

I had to replace the obvious bulged ones on mine C701 and the one next to it.

It was still having issues. The 3 equals caps right behind C701 looked ok, except for one with an almost not perceptable bulge. They tested ok with ESR meter so I didn't replace them, but later realized the ESR test was pointless in that case because those caps were connected in parallel.

I ended up pulling and replacing all 3. The one that had the ever so small bulge was bad. The one next to it was totally flat, but bad also. The 3rd one tested ok, but I figured with 2 bad caps in the parallel circuit, the 3rd one probably took on the brunt of the work for a while, so I replaced it also.

BTW in your original pictures, it looked like the board was burned. Is that just flux or did the board get so heated that the other side burned?

IMO you should replace more caps because your PS is able to power a lower power usage S3 but not a higher power one (the one with cablecards)
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #36
sdsvtdriver

Update

My original power supply is back from the electronics repair guy. replaced all the caps except the big one in the back. The results hasn't changed. It will power the parts unit but as before, won't power my main S3.

I took out the cable cards, no go. Disconnected everything but video/power, no go. Disconnected HD, no go. Unplugged fan, boot (albeit with 3 lights in front instead of 4). The fan is not the original unit in my main s3. I put parts fan in main S3, and the unit boots, with 3 lights.

I then put fan from main s3 into parts unit with parts power supply. No go. This fan/PS combo works fine in Main s3. Nothing makes any logical sense here.

Main s3 with power supply from parts machine and non oem fan - boots.

Parts s3 with power supply from parts machine and non oem fan - no go

Main s3 with repaired original power supply and non oem fan - no go

Main s3 with repaired original power supply and oem fan - boots.

Parts s3 with repaired original power supply and oem fan - boots

The parts PS does have a distended 701, but I'm not going to guess at this point that repairing that will power non oem fan.

I need a drink.

Last edited by sdsvtdriver : 09-16-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #37
Soapm

Quote:
I have no idea why the PS I "fixed" does not power up my S3 but will power up the other. The differences between the two boxes are fan, HD, and lack of cable cards. The fan will come on and the HD spins up and ticks, but no display at all. Maybe the PS isn't putting out enough voltage due to my soldering job or other bad caps..
A slight difference in load is normal even amongst identical equipment. Do you have a volt meter? You can compare the voltages under load which should tell you if it's the PS. Also check connections, maybe one of the connectors isn't mating just right.

Can you post pictures of your soldering? If you suspect a cold solder joint then heat the joint with the tip of the iron until you see the solder melt then take the iron away (or add just a touch of solder). If you created a short it should behave identical on both units.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #38
Soapm

Quote:
Update

My original power supply is back from the electronics repair guy. replaced all the caps except the big one in the back. The results hasn't changed. It will power the parts unit but as before, won't power my main S3.

I took out the cable cards, no go. Disconnected everything but video/power, no go. Disconnected HD, no go. Unplugged fan, boot (albeit with 3 lights in front instead of 4). The fan is not the original unit in my main s3. I put parts fan in main S3, and the unit boots, with 3 lights.

I then put fan from main s3 into parts unit with parts power supply. No go. This fan/PS combo works fine in Main s3. Nothing makes any logical sense here.

Main s3 with power supply from parts machine and non oem fan - boots.

Parts s3 with power supply from parts machine and non oem fan - no go

Main s3 with repaired original power supply and non oem fan - no go

Main s3 with repaired original power supply and oem fan - boots.

Parts s3 with repaired original power supply and oem fan - boots

The parts PS does have a distended 701, but I'm not going to guess at this point that repairing that will power non oem fan.

I need a drink.
See if wiggling the connector causes a change?
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #39
sdsvtdriver

Nothing.

I put the old (at times noisy) original cofan in the unit and took out the non oem fan. Boots fine. I guess that fan just requires too much power from the main board.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #40
sdsvtdriver

Welp, parts Tivo was repaired with new caps. Now I have a complete second working S3. Lucked out and got $99 lifetime added and now I have it online. Thanks for everyone's help!