TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #121
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's mostly sports channels that like 720p. Things with a lot of fast movement look better progressive then they do interlaced.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #122
sirkulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
On FiOS it's not even close to 50/50. The majority of channels are easily in 1080. One or two channels also recently switched from 720P to 1080i.
sorry to go off-topic...aaronwt I got your message, please include your email so I can contact you (can't PM yet)
sirkulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #123
TimA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Comcast is quite good with CableCARD support/activation/re-pairing if you call their CableCARD support number. Not so much if you call the regular support number.

Two years ago, I would have agreed with you. Now, to update anything with a card takes less than 10 minutes.
Agree, my first Comcast CableCard experience two years ago wasn't smooth, but I had a working CC at the end of the day. My second experience a year ago was excellent. The tech rep was so efficient, I was off the phone in minutes with a working Tivo Premiere XL4.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #124
TimA

Anyone want to guess how long it will be before we see a 2TB Plus and a 1 or 2TB Base Roamio from Tivo? A 4TB Pro?

Like most people on this forum, I was shocked at the smallish hard drives in the Base and Plus Roamios. I really think it's a marketing thing and they will upgrade the drives in a year without increasing the price. Tivo can then claim "new and improved" without really doing anything.

Drive cost and bulk availability probably were also a factor when they spec'd the current Roamios, but the ability to easily upgrade the Roamio later to lure in additional customers is a big consideration.
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #125
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimA View Post
Anyone want to guess how long it will be before we see a 2TB Plus and a 1 or 2TB Base Roamio from Tivo? A 4TB Pro?

Like most people on this forum, I was shocked at the smallish hard drives in the Base and Plus Roamios. I really think it's a marketing thing and they will upgrade the drives in a year without increasing the price. Tivo can then claim "new and improved" without really doing anything.

Drive cost and bulk availability probably were also a factor when they spec'd the current Roamios, but the ability to easily upgrade the Roamio later to lure in additional customers is a big consideration.
If you want them, you can get them both now.

WeaKnees.com is already listing larger capacity options for both boxes.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #126
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
On FiOS it's not even close to 50/50. The majority of channels are easily in 1080. One or two channels also recently switched from 720P to 1080i.
What provider you have is irrelevant. It's based on what the channels are broadcasting.

CBS/Viacom: 1080i
NBC/Universal: 1080i
Fox: 720p
ABC/ESPN: 720p

Discovery: 1080i
History: 720p

It may be slanted toward 1080i, but there are plenty of both, as many channels are owned by Fox and ABC/ESPN. Some sports channels, including any NBC-owned ones are 1080i. In general, I think 1080i looks better, but you can do amazing things with 720p, like ESPN.

Content is also converted back and forth a LOT. A lot of stuff is shot at 1080i and broadcast at 720p, and a lot of stuff is shot at 1080p. Not sure if much is shot at 720p.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #127
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
What provider you have is irrelevant. It's based on what the channels are broadcasting.

CBS/Viacom: 1080i
NBC/Universal: 1080i
Fox: 720p
ABC/ESPN: 720p

Discovery: 1080i
History: 720p

It may be slanted toward 1080i, but there are plenty of both, as many channels are owned by Fox and ABC/ESPN. Some sports channels, including any NBC-owned ones are 1080i. In general, I think 1080i looks better, but you can do amazing things with 720p, like ESPN.

Content is also converted back and forth a LOT. A lot of stuff is shot at 1080i and broadcast at 720p, and a lot of stuff is shot at 1080p. Not sure if much is shot at 720p.
Yes the provider doesn't matter much, but if I were to go through all the HD channels the vast majority are 1080i not 720P. Just the Premium channels alone I receive are around forty five at 1080i. Add in the other HD channels and at least 75% of them are in 1080i.

Even alot of the sports channels are in 1080i. BEIN, MASN, CSN, Golf, NFL, Yes, NBA, Tennis, NHL, Fishing, etc. are in 1080i.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-31-2013 at 11:29 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #128
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Comcast is quite good with CableCARD support/activation/re-pairing if you call their CableCARD support number. Not so much if you call the regular support number.

Two years ago, I would have agreed with you. Now, to update anything with a card takes less than 10 minutes.
You wanna put your money where your mouth is? I'll bet you a thousand bucks they won't get it working for me the first try.

Is this still the Cablecard Activation Number?: (866) 986-8486

Last edited by bareyb : 08-31-2013 at 02:31 PM.
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #129
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
You wanna put your money where your mouth is? I'll bet you a thousand bucks they won't get it working for me the first try.
Well, I can't bet on what will happen to you, but my son just went thru activating his Pro (he has an older Series 3 HD-XL, so he knows the cablecard dance) and he said it took less than ten minutes and he was done. Everything works. Premium and all.

Comcast Houston.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #130
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Well, I can't bet on what will happen to you, but my son just went thru activating his Pro (he has an older Series 3 HD-XL, so he knows the cablecard dance) and he said it took less than ten minutes and he was done. Everything works. Premium and all.

Comcast Houston.
That would make me the happiest man on Earth.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #131
Dan203
Super Moderator

Me too. I'm dreading the call to get my CableCARD moved over to my Pro on Tuesday. However I did it like 6 months ago for my Sister and it was a total nightmare, so I'm not expecting it to have improved much since then.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #132
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Me too. I'm dreading the call to get my CableCARD moved over to my Pro on Tuesday. However I did it like 6 months ago for my Sister and it was a total nightmare, so I'm not expecting it to have improved much since then.
I did it about a year ago and same here. Took all of one day and part of another. I'm dreading it too... If it goes smoothly I'll jump for joy. Hey. You never know,,, I'm gonna try and think positive.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #133
Devx

I called just last night to migrate a CableCard from my Tivo HD to the Roamio and the entire call was 15 minutes. That time even includes hold time, account verification, reading the Host and Data ID back out to me and holding them on the line to verify premium channels and all tuners.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #134
MScottC

I'm also a shocked happy Comcast Customer. I called the special Cablecard number, I already had up the pairing screen, read her off the numbers, she read them back to me, and before we could end the conversation, even the premium channels were coming in fine. I'd say no more than 10 minutes. And yes, I have some very not fond memories of this process taking multiple days and phone calls. And that's even recently. They really got their act together on this.

Cable Card Pairing (887) 405-2298
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #135
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Maybe it's a Northern California thing. I'm crossing my fingers because it's the one thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a new box. Not that it's probably going to stop me. I'd dearly love a faster UI. Now that I know it's available the pokey one on my Elite is getting increasingly annoying.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 AM   #136
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well it looks like they are in stock at Amazon.com with PRIME. 12 left... Any reason not to buy it from Amazon?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #137
overFEDEXed

Cox not Comcast but...

Quote:
Dan,

I have a question for you. I do have Cox cable and not Comcast, so that might make a difference.

Yesterday, I opened up my Plus to upgrade my HD. I pulled my Cablecard out of my Elite, that I sold on eBay, and put it in the Plus. i was preparing to call the Cox CC activation line to swap it over, but everything works!

Is this just temporary? You think that I will have problems down the road? I must say that the last time I called Cox, it took all of 15 minutes, so it's no big deal to call. I was just wondering why it accepted the card. I've always called in on new and swaps, as channels would be missing initially. (Channels not authorized)

When I first got my CC's we went through NINE cards, to get three Tivo's up and running. It is much better now.

Also, I never fired up the Plus with the original drive. I did do the setup without the old Elite CC, then popped it in after.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 09-01-2013 at 04:58 AM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #138
I WANT MORE

Quote:
Well it looks like they are in stock at Amazon.com with PRIME. 12 left... Any reason not to buy it from Amazon?
No reason I can think of.
I WANT MORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #139
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
No reason I can think of.
If you plan on upgrading yourself, Best Buy might be a better option if you plan on getting the extended warranty. Not sure how TiVo might handle the extended warranty and upgraded drive even if you replace it with the stock drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #140
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
Dan,

I have a question for you. I do have Cox cable and not Comcast, so that might make a difference.

Yesterday, I opened up my Plus to upgrade my HD. I pulled my Cablecard out of my Elite, that I sold on eBay, and put it in the Plus. i was preparing to call the Cox CC activation line to swap it over, but everything works!

Is this just temporary? You think that I will have problems down the road? I must say that the last time I called Cox, it took all of 15 minutes, so it's no big deal to call. I was just wondering why it accepted the card. I've always called in on new and swaps, as channels would be missing initially. (Channels not authorized)

When I first got my CC's we went through NINE cards, to get three Tivo's up and running. It is much better now.

Also, I never fired up the Plus with the original drive. I did do the setup without the old Elite CC, then popped it in after.
Check the Premium channels. When a card is not paired correctly any channels marked Copy Once will not work. Most cable companies only do this to the premium channels.

Even if they do work you may want to get it paired anyway because if they ever do enable the protection those channels will suddenly stop working and you may not realize it immediately causing you to lose recordings.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #141
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
If you plan on upgrading yourself, Best Buy might be a better option if you plan on getting the extended warranty. Not sure how TiVo might handle the extended warranty and upgraded drive even if you replace it with the stock drive.
Yep. Thats why i cancelled my Amazon order and put an order in to pick up at BB when i get back into town tonight. Even though i had to pay sales tax.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #142
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Do you mean if I plan to upgrade the Hard Drive? I was planning on getting the Pro so I think that's going to be plenty big enough. Not familiar with the extended warranty... Is it from Best Buy or TiVo?
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #143
Dan203
Super Moderator

As long as you don't plan to open the case you can buy an extended warranty from TiVo. It's $30 for 2 years or $40 for 3 years. You can buy it after the fact even if you got the TiVo from another retailer, you just have to call.

The reason people like Best Buy for units they plan to upgrade is because Best Buy has no way of knowing you opened the case, so there is no danger of them refusing to honor the warranty. And TiVo will honor a Best Buy warranty and allow you to transfer lifetime service to the new unit.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #144
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
As long as you don't plan to open the case you can buy an extended warranty from TiVo. It's $30 for 2 years or $40 for 3 years. You can buy it after the fact even if you got the TiVo from another retailer, you just have to call.

The reason people like Best Buy for units they plan to upgrade is because Best Buy has no way of knowing you opened the case, so there is no danger of them refusing to honor the warranty. And TiVo will honor a Best Buy warranty and allow you to transfer lifetime service to the new unit.
Ah. Gotcha. I'll have to think about that. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #145
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought one for my Elite and will again for my Pro. $40 seems like cheap insurance for a $1000 device. ($600 + $400 lifetime)
Old 09-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #146
monkeydust

Quote:

So, Tivo knows if you've opened the case even if you put the original drive back in?
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #147
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
So, Tivo knows if you've opened the case even if you put the original drive back in?
Their logs can tell that you've called in with a bigger hard drive installed then what is standard for your unit.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #148
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I bought one for my Elite and will again for my Pro. $40 seems like cheap insurance for a $1000 device. ($600 + $400 lifetime)
Yeah. That sounds like a pretty good deal. I don't plan to crack the case so the insurance from TiVo would be fine for me. When will your new Roamio arrive?

Last edited by bareyb : 09-01-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #149
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah. That sounds like a pretty good deal. I don't plan to crack the case so the insurance from TiVo would be fine for me. When will your new Roamio arrive?
Tuesday. It arrived in a warehouse the next town over Friday night. But between the weekend and the holiday I have to wait until Tuesday to get it.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #150
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Tuesday. It arrived in a warehouse the next town over Friday night. But between the weekend and the holiday I have to wait until Tuesday to get it.
Ah man... I feel your pain. I'm seriously ready to pull the trigger myself. I'm just dreading dealing with Comcast...

ETA: Maybe I'll see how it goes with yours. Are you gonna try to get it paired on Tuesday?

Side note: Amazon seems to be selling a LOT of these.
They showed 17 available yesterday morning and by last night they only had 2 left. Today they are showing 18 more in stock (more on the way!) and in the 30 minutes since we got to the Hotel they have sold 3 more and now have 15 left. It would appear that TiVo may have a winner on their hands. I don't recall the Elites flying off the shelves like these are.

Last edited by bareyb : 09-01-2013 at 05:56 PM.