TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question question about bad hard drive sectors

I have a series 3 (OLED) TiVo that was having some issues. Fixing a power supply bad cap seemed to only temporarily fix it. I replaced its hard drive with a 500GB one and was finally able to put its original 250GB hard drive in a desktop and ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility on the entire thing. Did the "extended" test (took about 90mins).

It came back with bad sectors and I chose the option to repair them, but it was unable to. I then ran the report and it says the following:

TEST ERROR CODE: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.

Does this pretty much mean the drive is not useable for TiVo purposes? OR can I possibly "write zeros" and this will fix it? Nothing important on here so I don't mind losing it all.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I'd write it off, it's not worth the risk.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
buscuitboy

OK, this is about what I thought and I'm shopping for a replacement (since the 500GB replacement in it now might have the same issue). Is there a place here to go to with recommended replacement models? I'm assuming Western Digital is still the one to go with, correct?

I'm not looking for something large either since this is a unit not used a lot and mainly in a basement rec room. Probably around 250-500GB. I know the WD "green" drives aren't really recommended because of the intellipark feature. How about the "black" and "blue" line?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
OK, this is about what I thought and I'm shopping for a replacement (since the 500GB replacement in it now might have the same issue). Is there a place here to go to with recommended replacement models? I'm assuming Western Digital is still the one to go with, correct?

I'm not looking for something large either since this is a unit not used a lot and mainly in a basement rec room. Probably around 250-500GB. I know the WD "green" drives aren't really recommended because of the intellipark feature. How about the "black" and "blue" line?
Since you can run wdidle3 and disable Intellipark, or set it to 300 seconds (5 minutes), which amounts to disabling it, there's no reason to avoid Caviar Greens if you find a good one at a good price.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
danwat1234

Try a DOS based surface tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have a series 3 (OLED) TiVo that was having some issues. Fixing a power supply bad cap seemed to only temporarily fix it. I replaced its hard drive with a 500GB one and was finally able to put its original 250GB hard drive in a desktop and ran the Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility on the entire thing. Did the "extended" test (took about 90mins).

It came back with bad sectors and I chose the option to repair them, but it was unable to. I then ran the report and it says the following:

TEST ERROR CODE: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.

Does this pretty much mean the drive is not useable for TiVo purposes? OR can I possibly "write zeros" and this will fix it? Nothing important on here so I don't mind losing it all.

The 'error was detected while repairing bad sectors' error on WD's diagnostic software, I have learned that running software called HDD regenerator (free on bittorrent) bootable CD on the drive effectively remaps those bad sectors or marks those bad sectors as bad.
The problem with my drive was that there were a few 'pending bad sectors' and a full read surface scan would not force the drive to remap these bad sectors, so I kept on getting new file corruption errors on chkdsk read-based surface scans every time. Chkdsk wouldn't mark the pending bad sectors as bad no matter how many scans I ran.

When I ran WD's windows diagnostic program (lifeguard diagnostics), it said 'error was detected while repairing bad sector' and the pending sector count was still there.
So It turns out that WD's diagnostic program does not do a write based surface test.
HDD regenerator fixed it right away. It takes a while to scan a large drive but now the drive works perfectly now. Before I thought I'd have to buy a new drive. Planned obsolescence? Their own diagnostic software ought to do everything an aftermarket diagnostic software can do...
Now chkdsk finds no new corruption and WD's software doesn't find any new bad sectors.

Bottom line, use HDD regenerator to get rid of your pending bad sector count SMART attribute. Spinrite may be able to do it too but it's slower. Then it is possible to continue using your hard drive for a long time without error, unless the number of bad sectors is still growing.

But first of course, back up all the files you can.

Last edited by danwat1234 : 08-30-2013 at 03:49 PM.
danwat1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwat1234 View Post
The 'error was detected while repairing bad sectors' error on WD's diagnostic software, I have learned that running software called HDD regenerator (free on bittorrent) bootable CD on the drive effectively remaps those bad sectors or marks those bad sectors as bad.
The problem with my drive was that there were a few 'pending bad sectors' and a full read surface scan would not force the drive to remap these bad sectors, so I kept on getting new file corruption errors on chkdsk read-based surface scans every time. Chkdsk wouldn't mark the pending bad sectors as bad no matter how many scans I ran.

When I ran WD's windows diagnostic program (lifeguard diagnostics), it said 'error was detected while repairing bad sector' and the pending sector count was still there.
So It turns out that WD's diagnostic program does not do a write based surface test.
HDD regenerator fixed it right away. It takes a while to scan a large drive but now the drive works perfectly now. Before I thought I'd have to buy a new drive. Planned obsolescence? Their own diagnostic software ought to do everything an aftermarket diagnostic software can do...
Now chkdsk finds no new corruption and WD's software doesn't find any new bad sectors.

Bottom line, use HDD regenerator to get rid of your pending bad sector count SMART attribute. Spinrite may be able to do it too but it's slower. Then it is possible to continue using your hard drive for a long time without error, unless the number of bad sectors is still growing.

But first of course, back up all the files you can.
WD's program is non-destructive to your data (if nothing goes wrong), what about HDD regenerator?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #7
danwat1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
WD's program is non-destructive to your data (if nothing goes wrong), what about HDD regenerator?
It is nondestructive as well. I think it does a write based surface test on the whole drive, or it may just do a write based surface test on the sectors that it deems as being bad, to get the drive to remap it. I'm not sure.
I'm not sure of how detailed of data recovery it will do to try and find the information in that sector before giving up and overwriting it with junk to get the drive to remap it. Spinrite has the upper hand there, but Spinrite is slower.
danwat1234 is offline   Reply With Quote