TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

What part of "fixed" does TiVo not get?

I've always set my TiVos to output a constant resolution, to avoid the flicker that accompanies a mode change. Currently, I have a Premiere set to use only 1080i, and a Roamio set exclusively to 1080p60 (on two different TVs). Yet, sometimes I still see the flicker, on both these units.

It only happens with some network-transferred videos, which cause the flicker just as I start them. The sad thing is that the before and after resolutions are the same -- the TiVo is technically obeying my settings, but still invoking an unnecessary mode change, to switch from one resolution to the same resolution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
tomhorsley

I see something like this all the time on my computer connected to my Samsung TV. I don't think the resolution changes, but (for example) when it goes from console mode to running X, the timing changes so what was expected to be the start of a frame got delayed a bit (or maybe happened too early), and on my TV this results in little regions all over the screen looking like they are trembling. I have to switch to broadcast TV then back to the computer HDMI to make the TV totally resync from scratch, then everything is fine again.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote