TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #361
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post
What is the standby remote code? I do have a harmony remote
It is in the Harmony software that you use to set up the remote.
In the setup software, go into Devices and click the settings button on the Tivo you want to control.
Click the option "adjust power settings", then click the "next" button.
Now you will choose the option "I want to turn off this device when it's not in use".
Complete the setup and update your remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #362
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I don't know why they have to make it so difficult to put it in standby.
I don't know why anyone would even care about standby.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #363
ShoutingMan

On the phone with Verizon, activating cable card in new Roamio Plus. Got a TiVo mini for the bedroom. Did lifetime. Also paid $99 lifetime for my HDs, and hope to make a profit off eBay.

Off to a good 3 day weekend

CableCard transfer successful. Took only 10 minutes on the phone with Verizon.

The typical hour-long TiVo setup still applied. It had to go through its inscrutable machinations to set itself and connect to the mother ship. But now it's working.

The Roamio is quite zippy compared to the HD, and the HD interface seems like a real improvement. Of note, in menus, video keeps playing in an inset corner in the upper right. Very nice.

The remote is shorter, but same width. The design changes will take some getting used to, but at first use, all seem sensible improvements.

Most importantly, my wife loves it. She's immediately impressed and has completely sworn off the HDs after an hour of use.

And now TiVo self destruct initiated, obliterating the TiVo HDs to prepare for ebay.

Next up, set up the mini
ShoutingMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #364
sbiller

My Roamio Unboxing & Review

http://investordiscussionboard.com/b...nboxing-review
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #365
ShoutingMan

Transferring recordings from old tivos to new TiVo was easy. I had about 20 episodes unwatched. From the Roamio, I did a transfer of all episodes from the two tivos to itself. It added them to a queue. I left for the evening and this morning all shows were transferred. If I'd had hundreds of shows, I'd have looked into tools like pytivo to transfer first to my computer, easily, and then later to the the Roamio. It's not built to facilitate massive transfers.

Tivo HD self destruct sequence initiated. Restoring to factory defaults for eBay sale. Thanks to those who told me about $99 lifetime. Bought that for my TiVo HDs. I'm really hoping to get $200 or more for each of them. That would really take the sting out of the Roamio purchase.

Also need to get the bedroom TiVo cleared out so I can setup the mini. High hopes for the little guy.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #366
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoknucklehead View Post
my only setup issue is it could not find any wireless networks even though mine is working fine. I have it on the bottom shelf of my equipment, is that a possible reason? I had to use my old wireless Ethernet adapter to get online

edit: I tried again the next day and it found my network after a 5 second delay and all is well
My son, who just rec'd his Pro, is having the same problem. He said the initial update (when you first fire it up) stopped & restarted several times, as it kept losing a signal. Finally it worked. He said since then (maybe 2-3 days), it consistently loses the signal. He went to the network settings screen, and watched as it went from "100% signal", to "0% connection not found" 4 or 5 times per minute.

The entire time, he's sitting 8 feet away surfing on his tablet. With a strong signal.

Any suggestions?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #367
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post
I only have 27 (my TiVo Premiere is new) but kmttg moved them in a few seconds.
I used kmttg too. While it did quickly transfer the SPs, it didn't preserve order. I'm not sure what I did wrong.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #368
ncbill

So you were able to get $99 lifetime on more than one monthly Tivo w/ the purchase of a Roamio?

Which department was so generous?

I'd like to give them a try for my monthly units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Transferring recordings from old tivos to new TiVo was easy. I had about 20 episodes unwatched. From the Roamio, I did a transfer of all episodes from the two tivos to itself. It added them to a queue. I left for the evening and this morning all shows were transferred. If I'd had hundreds of shows, I'd have looked into tools like pytivo to transfer first to my computer, easily, and then later to the the Roamio. It's not built to facilitate massive transfers.

Tivo HD self destruct sequence initiated. Restoring to factory defaults for eBay sale. Thanks to those who told me about $99 lifetime. Bought that for my TiVo HDs. I'm really hoping to get $200 or more for each of them. That would really take the sting out of the Roamio purchase.

Also need to get the bedroom TiVo cleared out so I can setup the mini. High hopes for the little guy.

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #369
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
I used kmttg too. While it did quickly transfer the SPs, it didn't preserve order. I'm not sure what I did wrong.
The order that ends up on destination TiVo is the order in which you copied the SPs, so if you copied them out of order with respect to original TiVo(s) that would explain it. Otherwise, order is preserved.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #370
Rose4uKY

I tried to get kmttg I googled it and found some zip file but it installed and then It was downloading files and it said a directory couldn't be found and it didn't work right and I deleted it. I have Tivo Desktop though but is there a link to kmmtg maybe I had a bad link or I did something wrong but I was wanting to try it. My Plus isn't scheduled to be here till Tuesday and I was told last week it would be shipped 2 day air and it wasn't. They had to keep my Premiere activated cause it was set to expire on Friday which is when I was told my new Roamio Plus would be here since my 1st one didn't work when we got it. Can't wait to get it..

Quote:
I only have 27 (my TiVo Premiere is new) but kmttg moved them in a few seconds.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #371
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
I tried to get kmttg I googled it and found some zip file but it installed and then It was downloading files and it said a directory couldn't be found and it didn't work right and I deleted it. I have Tivo Desktop though but is there a link to kmmtg maybe I had a bad link or I did something wrong but I was wanting to try it. My Plus isn't scheduled to be here till Tuesday and I was told last week it would be shipped 2 day air and it wasn't. They had to keep my Premiere activated cause it was set to expire on Friday which is when I was told my new Roamio Plus would be here since my 1st one didn't work when we got it. Can't wait to get it..
Windows installation instructions here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/..._installation/

Most common mistake is people try to launch kmttg.jar within the zip file. You need to unzip the file first and then launch kmttg.jar from outside the zip file.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #372
joneric

Question for other Roamio Plus owners. My router shows 2 wi-fi connections being actively used by my Roamio Plus. Are you seeing this as well? Is one for the TiVo and the other for the built in Stream? I looked through the forums and didn't see this mentioned.
joneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #373
cram501

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneric View Post
Question for other Roamio Plus owners. My router shows 2 wi-fi connections being actively used by my Roamio Plus. Are you seeing this as well? Is one for the TiVo and the other for the built in Stream? I looked through the forums and didn't see this mentioned.
It's being discussed at: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508166

It appears the stream also gets it's own dhcp address.
cram501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #374
joneric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram501 View Post
It's being discussed at: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508166

It appears the stream also gets it's own dhcp address.
Thanks!
joneric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #375
ShoutingMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
So you were able to get $99 lifetime on more than one monthly Tivo w/ the purchase of a Roamio?

Which department was so generous?

I'd like to give them a try for my monthly units.
Yep. Called TiVo and connected to the normal sales department to activate my new Roamio and Mini. Told him I had new hardware to activate and asked if I could get $99 lifetime on my current HDs. He said 'yep'. Set up the Roamio with MSD Lifetime, activated the Mini, and then did the $99 Lifetime for the two HDs. Took maybe 30 minutes on the phone. The customer service guy was very friendly and whisked right through everything.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #376
ShoutingMan

And the Mini got setup yesterday. I like it.

So far works well, if not perfectly. I've had a random connection failure to the Roamio, that recovered with a roundtrip through the main menu.

Installation though is something of a WTF: why does it require usual TiVo hour to download all the guide data, when it's just a dumb terminal to the Roamio? Seems like the Mini should be ready to go in minutes.

And the remote is cheap feeling compared to the new Roamio remote.

There are also one or two features I assumed would be present but aren't (assumed I could see and choose among the Roamio tuners from the Mini. Nope).

But these are quibbles. Basically, it's pretty awesome and I love having a whole-house DVR.

Also enjoying the TiVo app on my iPad. It's amazing to be programming Season Passes on the iPad at the same time my wife is programming WIsh Lists on the Roamio directly. And being able to stream TV to the iPad is nifty . I look forward to trying out the download feature for business travel.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #377
dustyz

Figured I'd hop in here to discuss the standby issue. One of my main gripes about the Tivo Premiere I purchased was the inability to turn it off, or go to standby. We watch our electric consumption religiously, so that sorta thing is important to us. Every kwh counts.

At the same time, I'll offer up some info on the instant power-off option. First, let me just say I only paid $30 for my Premiere earlier this year. I wanted to test it out before going lifetime. Then I heard about the Roamio, so figured I'd wait before going lifetime on the premiere. I've also been working in IT for many years. I realize the concern with an instant off or random power outages causing HD or hardware issue, it makes perfect sense. However, my investment is very little at this point, so I added a timed powerstrip to my Tivo, Wireless Router, Modem, etc. I take it all down during the day & at nite, while it's not being used. An instant power off scenario. It kicks on when I'm home, and off when not needed. We don't record during the day, so it's no big deal. If something is on that we want to record, we just flip the timer. No biggy.

It's worked amazingly well so far. I wouldn't even know it was on a timer if I didn't check the uptime on my router occasionally.

Just my 2 cents. (Looking forward to getting a lifetime Roamio after my 1yr is up on the Premiere)
dustyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #378
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Installation though is something of a WTF: why does it require usual TiVo hour to download all the guide data, when it's just a dumb terminal to the Roamio? Seems like the Mini should be ready to go in minutes.
During connection it downloads and installs software update among other things, not guide data, but agreed all that takes way too long still...

Old 09-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #379
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyz View Post
Figured I'd hop in here to discuss the standby issue. One of my main gripes about the Tivo Premiere I purchased was the inability to turn it off, or go to standby. We watch our electric consumption religiously, so that sorta thing is important to us. Every kwh counts.

At the same time, I'll offer up some info on the instant power-off option. First, let me just say I only paid $30 for my Premiere earlier this year. I wanted to test it out before going lifetime. Then I heard about the Roamio, so figured I'd wait before going lifetime on the premiere. I've also been working in IT for many years. I realize the concern with an instant off or random power outages causing HD or hardware issue, it makes perfect sense. However, my investment is very little at this point, so I added a timed powerstrip to my Tivo, Wireless Router, Modem, etc. I take it all down during the day & at nite, while it's not being used. An instant power off scenario. It kicks on when I'm home, and off when not needed. We don't record during the day, so it's no big deal. If something is on that we want to record, we just flip the timer. No biggy.
I personally think you are wasting your time, wearing out your TiVo's components by power cycling it so much, and risking file system damage from continuous improper shutdowns (not that they give us a "proper" way, which is stupid). There should certainly be a bigger power drainer than a TiVo you could focus on, no?

If you saved 18 hours of it being power on per day, that is only about $10 per year. Even if the risk is small, a single premature failure will wipe away all your "power savings" for it for perhaps dozens and dozens of years on a Lifetime service TiVo. Would you turn off your computer by yanking the power cord every day?
Old 09-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #380
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Would you turn off your computer by yanking the power cord every day?
NO! but a Computer is much different and can't be compared to a TiVo, the new smart TVs may be more like a TiVo and I would guess most people turn their TVs off when not watching. My computer is the only thing I have a UPS connected to, along with my router and Comcast internet phone service modem, after 16 seconds my automatic home back up generator is running.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #381
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I would guess most people turn their TVs off when not watching.
Not if they want the remote to turn it on.

But you point was probably that TV with the display "off" uses much less power than a TiVo.

I imagine that most people with a DVR of whatever flavor leave it on all the time.

Resetting the box prior to removing power probably helps the filesystem if you time it correctly but it won't help the drive. Considering how hot my Roamio runs I suspect it may also be a lot of thermal stress on the board. Perhaps the full-size units run at less than toaster-oven.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #382
dustyz

Quote:
There should certainly be a bigger power drainer than a TiVo you could focus on, no?
We've reduced consumption in all other areas, within financial reason. We try to minimize our usage in all areas... and this is just one more we'd like to drop.

Quote:
If you saved 18 hours of it being power on per day, that is only about $10 per year.
We aren't worried about the financial savings as much as the overall power consumption. Financial savings are just a bonus.

Quote:
Would you turn off your computer by yanking the power cord every day?
It depends, is the power button broke on my PC, keeping it on 24/7? ;-) IOW, I'd rather not hafta pull the plug on the Tivo, but like you said, we don't have many options.

I think the Roamio dropped the wattage a bit tho. I saw a few other threads where peeps have measured 14W while recording, versus the 20W+ on the Premiere. That's an improvement I can appreciate.
dustyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #383
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
NO! but a Computer is much different
Actually, it is not different at all. Power supply, fans, CPU, hard drive, file system, Linux OS, I/O...

Quote:
the new smart TVs may be more like a TiVo
A "smart TV" is not turned off, goes into standby (pseudo off), and it does so when you turn it off in an orderly and designed fashion. Unlike the TV example, the TiVo is designed to run continuously.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #384
lessd

Quote:
Not if they want the remote to turn it on.

But you point was probably that TV with the display "off" uses much less power than a TiVo.

I imagine that most people with a DVR of whatever flavor leave it on all the time.

Resetting the box prior to removing power probably helps the filesystem if you time it correctly but it won't help the drive. Considering how hot my Roamio runs I suspect it may also be a lot of thermal stress on the board. Perhaps the full-size units run at less than toaster-oven.
I said turn the TV off not unplug the TV, than most of the electronics are off except the part to run the remote, on my HDTV I can hear the click of a relay when I turn the HDTV.

Most people have their own ideas about turning a DVR off, and I would say 99% or more leave their DVR on 24/7 as that the way TiVo designed the TiVo, but the loss of power does no harm IMHO except if you are recording, you will stop the recording until the power comes back on, than the recording will start up again if the program has not finished.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #385
Rose4uKY

Thanks, I think it may be working now didn't think it was but now it seems ok.

Most common mistake is people try to launch kmttg.jar within the zip file. You need to unzip the file first and then launch kmttg.jar from outside the zip file.[/quote]

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.

Last edited by Rose4uKY : 09-02-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #386
scottvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It is in the Harmony software that you use to set up the remote.
In the setup software, go into Devices and click the settings button on the Tivo you want to control.
Click the option "adjust power settings", then click the "next" button.
Now you will choose the option "I want to turn off this device when it's not in use".
Complete the setup and update your remote.
That doesn't work. The software asks which button on the tivo remote I use to turn it off. Well there is no button on the remote to turn it off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comments001.jpg (4.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg comments002.jpg (11.8 KB, 27 views)
scottvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #387
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
That doesn't work. The software asks which button on the tivo remote I use to turn it off. Well there is no button on the remote to turn it off.
First off select the option that says it uses a different button for on and off. On the next screen pick the one that says I don't have the original remote but I know the command. In that drop down select TiVo for on and there should be an options for Standby that you can select for off.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #388
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Oops, sorry. Apparently I didn't go far enough into the software.

Can you customize buttons? I found stand by listed in the drop down selections for customizing buttons under the additional buttons tab.

Edit: Or maybe what Dan said above.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #389
tomhorsley

The harmony setup software always reminds me of "You are in a maze of setup screens, all different".

I constantly wonder how many millions more harmony remotes they could sell if the setup software wasn't designed by programmers rejected by the people who design voicemail systems :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #390
dnadrifter

Just wanted to let folks know of my experience. Just set up my new Roamio Plus to comcast. First time with a TiVo.

Biggest problem I ran into was that the the unit wouldn't connect to my network using my network password connection. It could see the network just fine, but couldn't connect to it with the supplied password. I turned password protection off on my router and the tivo connected just fine.

I set up the tivo, let it update itself and download whatever it wanted. I registered with tivo and activated the account. After I was all done setting it up, I tried connecting again with my router set with a password and this time the tivo connected just fine. Not sure what it was, but my guess is the tivo downloaded new software that may have fixed the problem. All sound also went out at the very beginning for some reason, but after updating the tivo and finishing set up, sound was fine.

Pairing the cable card was a non-event. Used the comcast 877-405-2298 number. They asked me for all the data, put it in, said to wait for 45-1hr. Within about 15 min, I had channels. Looks like on-demand is working too. The rep even helped me navigate my tivo as I had never used one before. She clearly knew about TiVo units.
dnadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote