Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #61
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The 8/27 episode contained 12 s-bombs. Seems low compared to the previous week's episode.

Louis and Nigel need to just do it and get it out of the way.
Still think that they throw in that word for the sake of throwing it out there. I just get the feeling the writers must have been given some poetic license to use it and they are going to take full advantage of it
Old 08-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #62
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
I thought the cat case was pretty painful to watch. But at least it looks like we are nearly done with the Ava Hessington case.
Yeah, I know we discuss stupid stuff on other shows, but this one was right up there. Seriously they are going to take up the time of a high powered law firm to have some mock trial about which employee owns a cat? Really? It feels to me that they are trying TOO hard to find a story line for Louis. He's much better when he's sniveling at Harvey's feet than this. That's why I think they should have stuck with Mike working for Louis a bit longer. This could have given Louis more to do with the core plot which would have been a lot better. And he becomes a key part of this year's "US against THEM".

The Harvey / Mike stuff with the English partner screwing them was really good though. I like that every so often Mike gets a bit of a comeuppance, showing us that for all his talent, there's thing you might learn in law school that just pretending to be a lawyer can't teach you.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #63
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
I thought the cat case was pretty painful to watch. But at least it looks like we are nearly done with the Ava Hessington case.
I thought it was mostly to show us how good a "lawyer" Rachel is, and will be...and YAY! She got accepted to Columbia!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #64
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I thought it was mostly to show us how good a "lawyer" Rachel is, and will be...and YAY! She got accepted to Columbia!
But not Harvard! What does that foretell! I love her, and this doesn't sit well with me.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #65
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
But not Harvard! What does that foretell! I love her, and this doesn't sit well with me.
It foretell's nothing. Odds are, by the time she graduates, this show will be done.

As I said, that whole "cat" thing just didn't sit well with me. But hey, Louis is a fun character. They just need to find more "REAL" stuff for him to do.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #66
milo99

i really do like this show, but as others have stated, i'm tired of the infighting story lines. heck, the last couple episodes last season i lost track of what the heck was going on and how the merger all of a sudden happened.

i hope they find their rythm. The end of this week's episode was an interesting twist, could make the rest of the season fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act http://www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/fcpa/

The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended, 15 U.S.C. §§ 78dd-1, et seq. ("FCPA"), was enacted for the purpose of making it unlawful for certain classes of persons and entities to make payments to foreign government officials to assist in obtaining or retaining business.

However, that's a federal law and this case is supposedly being dealt with by the Manhattan District Attorney's office (NY State, not federal). Also, the law only affects US companies or when the bribery takes place inside the US - neither of which apply in this case.

As for the local DA handling a murder case that happened in Africa, that's really a joke.
actually the case is handled by DOJ. whats his face used to be the city DA, but now he's was appointed special counsel or something by DOJ. in the last episode you could also clearly see the DOJ seal on his door when Mike visited him.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #67
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The Harvey / Mike stuff with the English partner screwing them was really good though. I like that every so often Mike gets a bit of a comeuppance, showing us that for all his talent, there's thing you might learn in law school that just pretending to be a lawyer can't teach you.
I don't follow. What would he have learned in law school from the last episode?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #68
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
I've searched for it, most of it is filmed in Toronto but once a year they go to NY for some exterior shots. So it's still a Toronto production...
I'm disappointed that Sarah Rafferty has been within a 40 mile radius of me, and I didn't know it. My spidey senses let me down.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #69
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb08 View Post
I'm disappointed that Sarah Rafferty has been within a 40 mile radius of me, and I didn't know it. My spidey senses let me down.
I miss the Gawker Stalker map. It was fun to watch sometimes. I guess some took it to the wrong extreme, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #70
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I miss the Gawker Stalker map. It was fun to watch sometimes. I guess some took it to the wrong extreme, though.
I never knew there was such a thing.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #71
Howie
Out of Pocket

The whole cat thing was ridiculous. I used to like this show, but it's trying my patience these days.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #72
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
The whole cat thing was ridiculous. I used to like this show, but it's trying my patience these days.
The whole way they're doing the British nemesis for Louis is just ridiculous.
I expect that they'll take a break after ten eps and come back and finish the season in early 2014. I don't expect to be watching then.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #73
wprager

My sons have been re-watching Lost. Last night one of the episodes was The Man from Tallahassee. "Mike" had a small guest role.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #74
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just binge watched the last 3 episodes. God I can't wait till the whole Ava is done and buried.

I didn't mind the cat trial bit and liked that it gave Rachel a way to show how she has grown from her last bit at a "mock trial". And if it really was a "mock trial" couldn't they have gotten some other associate to play dweeb boy? Though it may not have been as effective.

And I must say, I loved Harvey beating the crap out of Stephen. I was like "YES!" when Harvey looked at Donna and strode off. I wish the fight had gone on a bit longer. Thought it was odd to be in the bathroom then I thought of all the glass in the office proper and figured it was better that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #75
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post

And I must say, I loved Harvey beating the crap out of Stephen. I was like "YES!" when Harvey looked at Donna and strode off. I wish the fight had gone on a bit longer. Thought it was odd to be in the bathroom then I thought of all the glass in the office proper and figured it was better that way.
Bathrooms are the best place to beat the crap out of people - lots of hard surfaces. I think that was one of the first lessons offered up by Michael Weston on Burn Notice.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #76
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
My sons have been re-watching Lost. Last night one of the episodes was The Man from Tallahassee. "Mike" had a small guest role.
I've been re-watching Jack & Bobby and on the episode I watched today "Lost Boys" guest starred "Mike"
Old 09-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #77
wprager

"Mike" gets around

I thought the fight was poorly done. I recall there was a scene earlier this season where Harvey was sparring in the ring and he looked like a fish out of water -- perhaps it's not his thing (could have used a body double). And how it ended -- he shoved him against a wall so some mirror got cracked, and that stopped him? The guy is a rugby player; being shoved against a wall would not have fazed him.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #78
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
"Mike" gets around

I thought the fight was poorly done. I recall there was a scene earlier this season where Harvey was sparring in the ring and he looked like a fish out of water -- perhaps it's not his thing (could have used a body double). And how it ended -- he shoved him against a wall so some mirror got cracked, and that stopped him? The guy is a rugby player; being shoved against a wall would not have fazed him.
I laughed at that too. It's like watching pro rasslin' where repeated blows to the face and stomach don't stop a guy but a hit to the shoulder blades incapacitates him.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #79
whitson77
Director Level

And just when we thought the Ava Hessington case was DONE we realize it isn't...
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #80
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

I really like Ava Hessington 'nee Stark. But dislike her storyline alot.
2 R10's- GONE
2 COMCAST HD TiVo DVR's. SofaKing slow.
Snappa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #81
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I seriously thought last night was the season finale. I can't believe the BS storylines they are bringing out with Lewis.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #82
Beryl

Quote:
And just when we thought the Ava Hessington case was DONE we realize it isn't...
Actually, it is more interesting to me now. The Louis storyline is tired though.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #83
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The stuff with Louis was just ridiculous. It would be a total breach of ethics for Harold to dismiss the lawsuit just because Louis bullied him. Either he has a legitimate legal claim, or he doesn't. Louis' blustering would carry no weight. And if Harold caved on a deal like that and screwed over his own client, Harold would probably be looking for another job. Just completely ridiculous.

But then again, since when does this show depict anything having to do with the law in a realistic manner?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #84
cheesesteak
Meh.

What receptionist would let a lawyer from another law firm into one of its lawyer's office and leave him unattended? It happened twice in this episode.

It's a shame what they've done to the Louis character for the whole season. The fact that he bullied Harold was because of a rope climbing incident in gym class was stupid.

Jessica's the managing partner of the firm but in the real world, could a law firm's managing partner do whatever the heck she feels like doing in managing the firm the way this show portrays?

Hail Hydra!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #85
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The stuff with Louis was just ridiculous. It would be a total breach of ethics for Harold to dismiss the lawsuit just because Louis bullied him. Either he has a legitimate legal claim, or he doesn't. Louis' blustering would carry no weight. And if Harold caved on a deal like that and screwed over his own client, Harold would probably be looking for another job. Just completely ridiculous.

But then again, since when does this show depict anything having to do with the law in a realistic manner?
But of course the whole show's premise is based on a scenario that is unrealistic to begin with. I don't mind, the show works for me, more on the interpersonal relationships between the characters than on a realistic law basis. Which is why I am very disappointed in how they treated the Louis character too. The character was great in the "Brackman from LA Law" role of bean counter that every firm needs. Now he's just a clown that could never earn any respect.

I also find it hard to imagine, the way this firm acts, that EVERYONE would be top of their class at Harvard.

Still, I find the show enjoyable and I'll keep watching, but they need to get back more to Mike on the brink of getting "caught" every week
Old 09-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #86
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post

they need to get back more to Mike on the brink of getting "caught" every week
Ugh, that would be dreadful.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #87
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Eh, too many shows fall apart when they try to go down the road of developing some sort of 'life' for the characters. Instead of focusing on the original premise of the show (burn notice is a fine bad example of this). Suits has pretty much made the same mistake.

Or maybe there's some advertising dollars voodoo involved that says it's more profitable to veer off on such utterly stupid tangents because there's an utterly stupid audience than buys into this nonsense. And keeping their rapt attention allows for more advertising profits conning the companies that buy the ad air time. No doubt the metrics exist for calculating it. Me, when I get the sense the show's going down that road I bail. Suits, Burn Notice and a host of others before... Is there some cutesy 'jumped the shark' term for this syndrome?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #88
cheesesteak
Meh.

It's a crime what they did to the Louis character this season. Love letters to a cat. Jeez.

Hail Hydra!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #89
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I'm just fast forwarding anything to do with him now. It's insane to think that he'd sign something because another lawyer didn't do stuff TO HIS OWN CAT

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #90
cheesesteak
Meh.

I'm also surprised that anybody not named Jessica and that Darby guy are signing anything important. Louis and Scottie are junior partners.

Hail Hydra!