TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
BadDuck

Ruh Roh,Stuttering and Reboot

I have had the premiere 4 for almost a year and have started to experience reboots and stuttering during recording playback. I have the 4 year warranty from best buy. Does anyone have experience getting them to swap you out at the store? I called and they told me they need to have it for a week to look into fixing it. I sarcastically asked if they were going to sit in front of it for a few hours to make sure but seriously how would they know its fixed? Think I could get them to swap me for a Roamio on the spot? If they offered me the lowest model do you think I could come up with the difference to upgrade to the plus?
BadDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
mrizzo80

Sounds like they'll do exactly what they told you. They'll need it for about a week so they can repair it and send it back to you.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Other-C...on/td-p/682039
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #3
BadDuck

Actually I went in and talked to the real geeks desk and they will do an automatic swap. The real geeks guy had to look up in the computer what the recommended/authorized action was in this case and it was to give me back what I paid for the box, which was $250, towards a new unit. Since they no longer carry premieres its towards the Roamio. The next hurdle is to see how easy it will be to transfer life time over to the new box. They did have a Roamio on display but it had a demo program running which limited what I could check out but it was fast, really fast.

Also checked out a "ultra hd" Samsung which looked incredible. I couldn't get a straight answer from the rep if I was watching upconverted material or a native 4k demo. But for 6k, I definitely wait.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Sounds like they'll do exactly what they told you. They'll need it for about a week so they can repair it and send it back to you.

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Other-C...on/td-p/682039
I don't think even TiVo can (or will bother to) repair TiVos, and I don't think anyone else can get the (probably non-existant) service manuals.

"Repairing" a TiVo (if the problem is the motherboard and not the drive, fan, or power supply) these days consists of swapping it for another one.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
mrizzo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I don't think even TiVo can (or will bother to) repair TiVos, and I don't think anyone else can get the (probably non-existant) service manuals.

"Repairing" a TiVo (if the problem is the motherboard and not the drive, fan, or power supply) these days consists of swapping it for another one.
I doubt there is anything to repair because I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the current TiVo to begin with. Read between the lines of the OP. A shiny new model came out and he wants it. He doesn't seem to care about getting his TiVo "fixed"; he wants a Roamio Plus.

Best Buy is out $200 and TiVo is out $500 for transferring the Lifetime service to the Roamio. I deliberately linked to that BBY forum post. Evidently plenty of people view buying extended warranties as a way to upgrade to newer and better models for practically nothing.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
BadDuck

Of course a new Roamio would be sweet. There is something wrong with a box that has worked perfect since I purchased it and is now rebooting a couple times a day and stuttering during playback. I appreciate you assuming I am trying to scam the system.