TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Two Roamios vs 1-Roamio & 1-Elite

Short version: Any significant working differences between 1-Elite & 1-Pro, versus 2-Pros?

My current layout is an S3 in the bedroom, call that Wife's TiVo. She also watches it on her kitchen TV, using an HDMI/Ethernet/HDMI converter (house is wired for ethernet, cable & antenna). My TiVo is an Elite, in the den.

My plan is to move the Elite to the bedroom, that becomes her TiVo. Replace the weird wiring to her kitchen TV with a Mini. That Mini would feed off her Elite. I'll get a new Pro to replace the Elite I'm giving her.

[Aside: I'll keep the S3 alive by hooking it up to antenna and using it as a backup when the power fails.]

Question: Looking at this plan, are there any shortcomings in her using my old Elite, as versus buying her a Pro? I'd rather not spend money on another Pro if I don't need to, plus this plan puts my Elite to use. But if I'm missing some significant benefit by having her on an Elite, I'll go ahead and get 2 Pros. Remember that she will have a Mini working from her TiVo, whether Elite or new Pro.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

How often would your wife use the Elite directly? If she's only ever accessing it via the Mini or through your Roamio then it should be fine. However if she uses it directly a lot then she may get frustrated with the speed of the UI. Although I guess you could dump it over to SDUI mode and it would be similar to her S3.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
How often would your wife use the Elite directly? If she's only ever accessing it via the Mini or through your Roamio then it should be fine. However if she uses it directly a lot then she may get frustrated with the speed of the UI. Although I guess you could dump it over to SDUI mode and it would be similar to her S3.
SDUI mode. She's used to it on her S3, and I still use on my Elite. She's not a heavy TiVo user; never does anything but watch shows. I set the SPs, manage priorities, etc.

In fact, she will have to get used to the HDUI on the Mini.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

Am I correct in thinking a Mini is attached to a specific TiVo? But can view from *any* TiVo?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Mini is a reflection of the host TiVo it's paired to. So it's My Shows list is a reflection of the host My Shows. And just like on the host there is a list at the bottom where you can pick any other TiVo on your network to see it's My Shows. (the S3 will be grayed out since it doesn't do streaming)

You may want to just get her accustom to the HDUI since she'll be forced to use it on the Mini anyway. Maybe she wont notice the sluggishness. I switched my wife to a Premiere with HDUI last year and she's never complained about the speed. She only complains about a few of the more minor UI difference.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
astrohip
Stuart F

Thanks, great feedback.

So no other real disadvantage to having an Elite as my 2nd TiVo, instead of 2 Roamios?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Philmatic

You should really get one Pro and two minis. Put them any where you want, but the end result is the same. All three units will have the same collection of shows available from any TV.

If your Elite has lifetime, sell that asap. You can get a few hundred dollars for it and put that towards the price of the Pro/Mini.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
You should really get one Pro and two minis. Put them any where you want, but the end result is the same. All three units will have the same collection of shows available from any TV.

If your Elite has lifetime, sell that asap. You can get a few hundred dollars for it and put that towards the price of the Pro/Mini.
I thought about that. The only thing that spooks me is my wife having my Now Playing instead of hers. Nothing to hide, but I have hundreds of shows & folders, even several entire series I'm saving. She has maybe 5-6 shows at any time. She can easily find what she wants, but I'm afraid if we share a list she'll complain about "never being able to find my shows".

I've been married 31 years, and I know all her hot buttons. This would be one.

Oh, and everything has lifetime. As a TiVo user for 10+ years, I learned early on, lifetime is the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

This is why TiVo really, really, needs to get cracking on the user profile feature. With 6 tuners and 3TB of storage the Pro really is enough for most families. But having to wade through everyone else's crap is still a deterrent.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This is why TiVo really, really, needs to get cracking on the user profile feature. With 6 tuners and 3TB of storage the Pro really is enough for most families. But having to wade through everyone else's crap is still a deterrent.
Agree. This is a perfect example.

It's bad enough she'd have to wade thru hundreds of recordings. But then I'd be subject to "Why do you have 64 Veronica Mars?". "What are all these Firefly's?" "Haven't you already seen every Game of Thrones?" yada yada yada
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Agree. This is a perfect example.

It's bad enough she'd have to wade thru hundreds of recordings. But then I'd be subject to "Why do you have 64 Veronica Mars?". "What are all these Firefly's?" "Haven't you already seen every Game of Thrones?" yada yada yada
I've decided to give my kids the Elite for the same reasons. It's just way easier to keep our stuff on separate boxes. If Profiles were a reality now, I'd probably buy two Mini's and sell the Elite with Lifetime.