TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
brianric

Unexpected Reboot

My Roamio Pro started acting flaky while watching a recorded SD movie. The video froze while the audio kept running, then the unit rebooted. I usually get a unannounced reboot at 3 AM on my Premiere XL, but never at 4 PM. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Sounds like it crashed. Hopefully it was just a fluke and not a sign of impending hard drive failure. Keep an eye on it. You may even want to set up a bunch of dummy recordings to stress test it. Better it fail now while it's new and still under warranty then down the road.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
brianric

Just before watching the movie I tried going into Comcast On Demand, and had great difficulity navigating through the menus, with the remote locking up. Finally got out of On Demand by hitting the Tivo Central button.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Sounds like it crashed. Hopefully it was just a fluke and not a sign of impending hard drive failure. Keep an eye on it. You may even want to set up a bunch of dummy recordings to stress test it. Better it fail now while it's new and still under warranty then down the road.
Just set up six recordings tonight at 8 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #5
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Unfortunately, it looks like mine also crashed and rebooted for no known reason. All I did was turn on the TV and walked away. A moment later I was back and I was looking at a bootup screen. This is not a good sign. I don't think my Premiere rebooted even once in almost a year...
Old 09-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
brianric

I having rebooted since. I think my problem was going into On Demand ten minutes before rebooting. I was locking up, having great difficulty moving through the menus. I'm not concerned about On Demand as I rarely use it, it works ok on my Premiere XL, and I have my Apple TV to use if needed.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
I having rebooted since. I think my problem was going into On Demand ten minutes before rebooting. I was locking up, having great difficulty moving through the menus. I'm not concerned about On Demand as I rarely use it, it works ok on my Premiere XL, and I have my Apple TV to use if needed.
In my case I was doing *nothing* except turning on the TV. I don't think it was even "recording".
Old 09-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
zundian

Mine happened to reboot around the same time yours did last night. What a weird coincidence.

ETA: I just remembered that while fiddling around Saturday morning there was a scheduled call to be made around 3pm that would just not go away, no matter how many calls I forced. That may have lead to my reboot.

Last edited by zundian : 09-02-2013 at 03:43 AM.
zundian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
coldtoes
vermicious knid

Mine rebooted twice today, once after locking up while I was browsing one of the menus (can't remember which one, or what I was doing before) and the second after I attempted to initiate a transfer from an XL HD. Hopefully this is not a sign of more dire things to come.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
swerver

My Roamio plus has rebooted twice, and my new mini once. Since they are brand new, I was working them pretty hard, getting everything set up and testing everything out. First time was a freeze after hitting live tv after testing Netflix and rhapsody. Then the mini froze while testing looking at my premiere show list (which previously hadn't been working quite yet, this was the first time the list loaded), again after pressing live tv. Then the plus again, this time it just suddenly dropped to the startup screens while I was transferring from a pc with a couple more queued, and probably doing a couple other things. That was all yesterday, again during heavy use and they had just been activated and setup so things were still happening with that while I was doing all this... But still. My premiere also probably did that fewer times in a whole year. Anyway today's been good. Maybe it's cleared up.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #11
bdspilot

My Pro rebooted yesterday while watching live TV.
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
bdspilot

Are you guys connecting through a green switch? I was using a Trendnet green switch. I have seen several threads that say there is a problem with green switches and Roamio. I am now connected directly to the router, will see if it helps. I also had drops while streaming from other Tivo's but they didn't cause reboot.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdspilot View Post
Are you guys connecting through a green switch?
no
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
gweempose

No reboots here yet, but now I'm worried that it's only a matter of time. Out of curiosity, when a machine has an unscheduled reboot, does it log the reason so that it can send the information to TiVo?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #15
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
No reboots here yet, but now I'm worried that it's only a matter of time. Out of curiosity, when a machine has an unscheduled reboot, does it log the reason so that it can send the information to TiVo?
I don't think any of us know that. But I mentioned it before as something I hope they are doing.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #16
bdspilot

2 days no reboots
Old 09-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
2 days no reboots
That doesn't say much. I would want multiple months with no reboots.

Besides, how do you know it didn't reboot when you weren't using it? (Legit question... on computer I just use "uptime" or look at /var/log/messages or "last reboot" or "dmesg"; what about TiVo?)
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
bdspilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

Besides, how do you know it didn't reboot when you weren't using it? (Legit question... on computer I just use "uptime" or look at /var/log/messages or "last reboot" or "dmesg"; what about TiVo?)
Had to intentionally reboot this morning to get transfers to work again. It took 2:37. Not too bad.

How do you check the logs or dmesq?

for up time i usually look at "time since OOB tune start:" 2nd to last page of Diagnostics
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #19
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
On the computer? Just type "last reboot" or "uptime" or "dmesg". Looks like dmesg is not dated, so that is useless.

Quote:
for up time i usually look at "time since OOB tune start:" 2nd to last page of Diagnostics
Oh! I completely forgot about that!! Thanks! (I wonder if anything else restarts that, though)
Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
chicagobrownblue

You might want to report the reboots to TiVo so they can look into the problem. Seeing these reboots gives me an additional reason to wait to upgrade.
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #21
bdspilot

[quote=crxssi;9804798]On the computer? Just type "last reboot" or "uptime" or "dmesg". Looks like dmesg is not dated, so that is useless.

I don't understand this. What computer, where?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I'm at 7.93 days without a reboot with my Roamio Pro. The reboot eight days ago was a manual reboot when I was having slow guide data sent to my Minis. This was after after changing switches a few times. From a Dlink green switch to Netgear green switch and then to a Dlink Non green switch.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-08-2013 at 10:28 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

[quote=bdspilot;9804833]
Quote:
On the computer? Just type "last reboot" or "uptime" or "dmesg". Looks like dmesg is not dated, so that is useless.

I don't understand this. What computer, where?
I see if I check out the Stream Sys INfo page from my PC web browser it shows Idle time and standby in seconds. Since I don't have any IOS products I can't use the stream so this time should correspond to the time since the last reboot.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #24
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Not good. Looking at that now shows 51414 seconds. That was only 14 hours ago. If nothing else resets that, it means my unit rebooted this morning without me knowing. But it appears to be the same time my last Service Connection call was made.... so perhaps that resets it?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #25
bbrown9

I've seen a couple of unexpected reboots tonight. The first was about an hour ago when I exited Netflix. I understand that was an update last week for an issue with reboots related to Netflix. I have that update, so either the problem wasn't fixed or there is an additional problem

The second reboot was just a few minutes ago while watching a recording of a TV show.

I'm having Premiere flashbacks.
bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #26
Rootwitch

I'm assuming mine is rebooting too. Twice now, I've come back from a night out to find movies I've recorded broken into 2 segments, with about a 3 minute missing block. IE: Segment 1 of the movie will stop at 54 minutes. Segment 2 will start at 57 minutes. Hopefully there will be a software update to solve this... aggravated...
Rootwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:32 AM   #27
Soapm

Quote:
On an unhacked Tivo you would have to pull the drive and run tivopart to see the partitions. The logs will be in partition 9 (var).
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #28
Soapm

Quote:
Not good. Looking at that now shows 51414 seconds. That was only 14 hours ago. If nothing else resets that, it means my unit rebooted this morning without me knowing. But it appears to be the same time my last Service Connection call was made.... so perhaps that resets it?
Another way is to look for split recording in the NPL.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #29
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
How do you check the logs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
On an unhacked Tivo you would have to pull the drive and run tivopart to see the partitions. The logs will be in partition 9 (var).
On a Premiere you can view the logs by the following, but it does not seem to work on the Roamio

From the Account & System Information menu:
Press: CLEAR, CLEAR, ENTER, ENTER, 0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #30
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootwitch View Post
I'm assuming mine is rebooting too. Twice now, I've come back from a night out to find movies I've recorded broken into 2 segments, with about a 3 minute missing block.
Yep, that exact thing happened to me yet again, this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Another way is to look for split recording in the NPL.
True (see above). But that will only happen if recording something scheduled- I don't think it will even do that on suggestions. Thus, it will be rare.

I have a feeling my box is rebooting at least a few times a week. I might go ahead and write a monitoring script (with ping) to track how big an issue this is...