TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
aristoBrat

And it's dead...

Ugh, the Pro I got on Tuesday is now basically dead...

Starting this afternoon, it started glitching big time when playing back programs. The video (on shows I know were recorded perfectly) would pixelate, and the sound (to the TV, no A/V equipment here) would drop out for more than it would play.

The TiVo Central UI was also super slow to navigate through. You'd press a button, see the orange circle on the front of the TiVo light up immediately, and then it'd be 10-20 seconds before the TiVo would respond to it.

Rebooting, it stays on the first boot screen for about 5 minutes, and stays on the "Almost there..." screen for literally 30-40 minutes.

When it finally gets back to TiVo Central, it displays the same symptoms above.

TiVo tech support were basically "yeah, that's bad, take it back to Best Buy". Best Buy is out of stock, so I guess my choices are wait for them, or use the $40 TiVo Extended warranty that I got on Tuesday and let TiVo replace it (which consumes the extended warranty).

Yay for being an early adopter.
aristoBrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
NYHeel

you don't need to use the extended warranty to cover this. The regular warranty would cover this. Also, you could return to Best Buy and just buy a new one from Tivo. Either way you should be made whole without having to use the extended warranty. That's why the name has the word extended in it. You're still in the original 90 warranty period.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

That sucks. On the bright side at least it died quickly and not after you had a few months worth of recordings built up on it.

Also this sounds like a hard drive failure, so I doubt it has anything to do with being an early adopter. Could have just as easily happened with a Premiere, or any other device with the HDD in it.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
bdspilot

Is it worth starting a thread to see how many DOAs there are. Basic, Plus, Pro. I would think the Basic would have the highest failure rate
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
you don't need to use the extended warranty to cover this. The regular warranty would cover this. Also, you could return to Best Buy and just buy a new one from Tivo. Either way you should be made whole without having to use the extended warranty. That's why the name has the word extended in it. You're still in the original 90 warranty period.
Thanks. I called back again, and this rep explained that they're not supposed to do RMAs under the standard warranty for units purchased elsewhere, unless the units were outside of the return date (from wherever originally purchased). I explained that the Best Buys near me don't have any in-stock, and he got a supervisor to approve doing an RMA. He also explained that normally the customer has to cover the cost of return shipping, but he got the supervisor to override that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That sucks. On the bright side at least it died quickly and not after you had a few months worth of recordings built up on it.

Also this sounds like a hard drive failure, so I doubt it has anything to do with being an early adopter. Could have just as easily happened with a Premiere, or any other device with the HDD in it.
True on the bright side. I thought it booted off of something else and used the spinning drive just for recordings? Guess I need to pay more attention in the drive upgrade thread.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
I thought it booted off of something else and used the spinning drive just for recordings? Guess I need to pay more attention in the drive upgrade thread.
As far as I can tell from my extremely limited research so far that's the case, but the /var partition, the swap partition and the SQLite partition are still on the hard drive. A problem with any of them would probably crash the Linux OS.

Glad you got the RMA and that they're standing behind the product despite the "rules". From everything I've heard so far you're gonna love it.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristoBrat View Post
I thought it booted off of something else and used the spinning drive just for recordings? Guess I need to pay more attention in the drive upgrade thread.
It's my understanding that the basic OS is in flash, but pretty much everything else is on the HDD. So a bad HDD will still cause problems like this. I've had a few HDDs die in TiVos over the years and the symptoms you describe match my experience. But it could have been something else.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
mpf541

There are issue's with every new device. There is alway some percentage that go bad. And you bought at best buy just get your money back and get from tivo.

I looked at best buy and weak knees and opted with buying from tivo. And I got the base model as I wanted the option of OTA. I keep thinking of telling my cable company where to go.

Mine worked right out of the box. No problems. I am sure there are going to be some more that don't work. But thats the chance you take buying right away. I am happy with mine
mpf541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
PoobBubes

What happens to your lifetime service if your TiVo dies within the first 30 days and you exchange it where you bought it? Can you get a refund on the service and just buy it again for the new unit?
PoobBubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

They'll transfer it. But if they give you any grief then you can just get a refund on the first lifetime and just rebuy for the new one.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
aristoBrat

I appreciate TiVo standing in for Best Buy (because the local stores here haven't had a Pro in stock since last Tuesday), but dang, TiVo hasn't even shipped the replacement yet.