TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
tivogurl

Wakeup issues with HDMI

I've noticed an odd problem with my Basic's HDMI handshaking. If my television is off when I wake the Roamio from standby, when I turn on the television the Roamio will not display video. The television says "no signal". If I turn on the television first video is displayed normally. This problem does not occur with my HD.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
I've noticed an odd problem with my Basic's HDMI handshaking. If my television is off when I wake the Roamio from standby, when I turn on the television the Roamio will not display video. The television says "no signal". If I turn on the television first video is displayed normally. This problem does not occur with my HD.
Is there a reason to ever put the Roamio on standby (or does it automatically until a recording needs to take place etc.?) - I've been just leaving mine powered on.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post

Is there a reason to ever put the Roamio on standby (or does it automatically until a recording needs to take place etc.?) - I've been just leaving mine powered on.
A TiVo is always recording - this is how it is able to pause, rewind and replay while in "live TV" mode. All content is played fro
M the HD.

Michael
Old 08-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
tivogurl

Quote:
Is there a reason to ever put the Roamio on standby (or does it automatically until a recording needs to take place etc.?)
Yes. The TiVo doesn't have its recordings interrupted by emergency alerts when on standby.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
consumedsoul

Quote:
Yes. The TiVo doesn't have its recordings interrupted by emergency alerts when on standby.
So the TiVo -does- still record while on standby (and is accessible remotely via apps)? Do emergency alerts get broadcasted to OTA signals (as well as cable)?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's odd. Sounds like a bug. For now there is an obvious solution... always turn the TV on first.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
So the TiVo -does- still record while on standby (and is accessible remotely via apps)? Do emergency alerts get broadcasted to OTA signals (as well as cable)?
I don't know how they work with OTA. With cable they are sent via an OOB signal that TiVo is required to monitor by the CableCARD specification. The spec only requires them to display the alert if the TiVo is actively being used. So if the TiVo is in standby it's allowed to ignore them.

I wonder... with 6 tuners will these ever actually end up in your recordings? Unless you're using all 6 tuners simultaneously (unlikely) then it should have a free tuner to use for the alert leaving your recordings alone. I know coming from an HD with 2 tuners this is common, but maybe it's something you don't need to worry about any more?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's odd. Sounds like a bug. For now there is an obvious solution... always turn the TV on first.
Well, yes. That said, it would be nice to know I'm not the only person seeing this.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, yes. That said, it would be nice to know I'm not the only person seeing this.
When I get mine on Tuesday I'll test it out and see if I have the same problem.

Although, as I said above, are you sure you need to put it into standby? With 6 tuners I doubt you'll have many, if any, instances where EAS ends up in your recordings. (I think it'll always use a free tuner if available)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Bramble

I've been putting my Roamio in standby so it won't respond to the remote when I'm watching old shows on my TivoHD (lots of copy protected stuff still to watch, since Frontier copy protects everything.) and I haven't noticed any problems with it waking up. However I do have a soundbar in between it and the TV. Although sometimes with all the switching I've had to power cycle the soundbar and TV to get video working again. I just put it down to having a temporary crazy setup while I toggle back and forth between the two tivos.
Bramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
I've been putting my Roamio in standby so it won't respond to the remote when I'm watching old shows on my TivoHD (lots of copy protected stuff still to watch, since Frontier copy protects everything.) and I haven't noticed any problems with it waking up. However I do have a soundbar in between it and the TV. Although sometimes with all the switching I've had to power cycle the soundbar and TV to get video working again. I just put it down to having a temporary crazy setup while I toggle back and forth between the two tivos.
You know you don't need to do that. Try this...

Put the Roamio into standby
Grab the HD remote and hold TiVo and Pause until the light stays red
Press 1
Navigate the HD to the System Information screen and push Channel Down.
Exit the system information screen

Now repeat the process on the Roamio but press 2 instead of 1.

That will assign each TiVo it's own remote address so that their remotes will no effect one another.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
consumedsoul

On a side note - I'm trying to program my Logitech Harmony One to 'standby' but I can't select a 'power' button at all in the choices - anyone get this to work successfully?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
tivogurl

Quote:
Although, as I said above, are you sure you need to put it into standby? With 6 tuners I doubt you'll have many, if any, instances where EAS ends up in your recordings.
I have a Basic, so only 4 tuners. Unlikely to be a problem like it was with my HD, but I've made a habit of always putting my TiVo in standby when I'm done watching shows.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
tivogurl

Quote:
That will assign each TiVo it's own remote address so that their remotes will no effect one another.
Good to know. I noticed that while my Roamio remote has no effect on my HD, my Roamio responds to the HD remote.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've had a 4 tuner Elite for a long time. I rarely ever see all 4 lights on at once, and usually when I do it's because I have something padded and they're only all 4 lit for a couple minutes. So the chance of getting an EAS alert recorded into an actual program are pretty slim. In fact I can't remember ever seeing one since getting the Elite. But your recording habits are probably different then mine, so who knows.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
tivogurl

Quote:
When I get mine on Tuesday I'll test it out and see if I have the same problem.
Were you able to see if you have the same problem?
Old 09-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Had forgot about this. But I just tried it and didn't have any problem. I put the TiVo into Standby and turned my whole system off. I then pushed the TiVo button to wake the TiVo up first, then turned everything back on. As soon as the TV came on I could see the TiVo menu.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #18
tivogurl

Quote:
Had forgot about this. But I just tried it and didn't have any problem. I put the TiVo into Standby and turned my whole system off. I then pushed the TiVo button to wake the TiVo up first, then turned everything back on. As soon as the TV came on I could see the TiVo menu.
Weird. I'd suspect my TV but it works perfectly with my TiVoHD and blu-ray player. It's only my Roamio that has the problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine is a Smasung LED Smart TV. But there is also an Onkyo receiver in the middle.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
gweempose

Quote:

It sounds like some sort of HDCP issue. I had a similar problem with my Mini. I solved it by installing a powered HDMI switch between the Mini and the TV.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

Maybe the buffer of the switch/receiver eliminates the problem?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
It sounds like an HDCP issue to me. I had a similar problem with my Mini. I solved it by installing an HDMI switch between the Mini and the TV.
I'll have to look into that. TiVo must have gone with a different, buggy HDMI implementation for the Roamio.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Devx

Quote:
I'll have to look into that. TiVo must have gone with a different, buggy HDMI implementation for the Roamio.
I scanned the thread but could have missed it, what brand/type TV do you have?
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
I scanned the thread but could have missed it, what brand/type TV do you have?
An Insignia of some sort. Don't have the model on hand right now.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
tbielowicz

I am having the same issue. Not happy about it.

My main TV is an LG, which has this issue.

My setup TV was a Samsung which did not have the issue.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
tbielowicz

When I use a standard TiVo peanut remote this issue is there 100% of the time.

When using the the Roamio RF remote, it does not exhibit this issue at all. Very strange. Not sure why it would even make a difference. Unless the RF connection causes the TiVo to push the HDMI signal longer??
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #27
martinso

I have the same issue. Also not happy, as I routinely put the Tivo into standby overnight. At first I thought the problem could be solved by powering up the TV (Samsung Smart TV) first, before taking the Tivo out of standby, but this DID NOT solve the problem. It does seem to be time dependent, as I only experience this issue when I start things up in the morning. BTW, I always use the RF remote. I know only the video is missing, beacause I can hear the audio and feedback beeps just fine.
martinso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
tim1724

I experienced this HDMI issue yesterday. I tried disconnecting/reattaching the HDMI cable, turning TV off/on. Only thing that fixed it was putting the TiVo back in standby and bringing it out of standby again. (Note: The area around the green power LED seems to be a capacitive switch which acts as a standby button. I discovered this by accident and was happy when it fixed the problem!)

oh, and it's a Samsung LN46A750.
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #29
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
I experienced this HDMI issue yesterday. I tried disconnecting/reattaching the HDMI cable, turning TV off/on. Only thing that fixed it was putting the TiVo back in standby and bringing it out of standby again.
I tried that. I've found it to be an unreliable means of getting HDMI to work.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
It sounds like some sort of HDCP issue. I had a similar problem with my Mini. I solved it by installing a powered HDMI switch between the Mini and the TV.
What's a good brand/model of powered HDMI switch? I see quite a few on Monoprice, but I have no idea what distinguishes them. It's also unclear if they have IR or RF remotes.