TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
abovethesink

I don't think my tuning adapter is working

I decided to buy a Roamio last night (first TiVo box!). We got the basic model as we were wavering back and forth on whether or not the features coming with the doubled price were anything we were ever likely to need or use more than once in a blue moon. When we got to Best Buy only the basics were in stock. Decision made!

I thought it would be a headache to get this going with Time Warner (its a headache to get them to take care of their own stuff, let alone a third party issue!), but I built up an expectation of such a negative experience that the bad experience I did get seemed fine. I spent an hour and a half dealing with busy signals, ringing forever, and getting dropped from TWC's menu system before I finally got through to a person. All that to be told to go down to the local office. So I did that and met a very visibly annoyed woman (lots of big sighs and eye rolling) and admitted she had never done this before. After slowly going through her computer for a half hour and making two poor souls trying to pay a bill wait, she finally produced a card and a cisco tuning adapter.

I got it all hooked up and I love what is working, but I am missing some channels and when I try to test the tuning adapter channels (as opposed to the option to test the cable card channels in the settings) I come up blank. I tried unplugging the adapter and plugging it back in, but no dice. Any suggestions?
abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
ViaViaFlickFlack

I had the same issue when I just got my box. Is the green light on the front flashing in a pattern (8 times then a slight pause?). If so you will need to call time warner (866) 864-5889 and have the reprovision the Tuner Adapter. Let them know it's for a Tivo, they have a script to set it up properly.
ViaViaFlickFlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
abovethesink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViaViaFlickFlack View Post
I had the same issue when I just got my box. Is the green light on the front flashing in a pattern (8 times then a slight pause?). If so you will need to call time warner (866) 864-5889 and have the reprovision the Tuner Adapter. Let them know it's for a Tivo, they have a script to set it up properly.
This is EXACTLY what is happening. They'll know what to do if I say "reprovision"? I've never heard that word before.
abovethesink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #4
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by abovethesink View Post
I am missing some channels and when I try to test the tuning adapter channels (as opposed to the option to test the cable card channels in the settings) I come up blank. I tried unplugging the adapter and plugging it back in, but no dice. Any suggestions?
Counter response depends but the simplest way to get a CC+TA is call the EZ-Install+CC number. They'll have them sent from the appropriate warehouse for $10 via FedEx.

Regarding your missing channels. Assuming you don't get the really annoying press Select message then the (for me) the current solution is to wait for TiVo to issue new software.

I have zero problems on my Premiere and lots of problems on my Roamio. I've switched the CCs and TAs to no effect. The Premiere is slowly reliable while the Roamio is quickly unreliable. However I'm going to stick it out because even the Premiere is so much better than the HR24 it replaced.

I'm in the Rochester NY service area.
bodosom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
They'll know what to do if I say "reprovision"? I've never heard that word before.
Just tell them TA is showing a continuously blinking LED. It should blink slowly then quickly then stay on without blinking unless you reboot the TiVo (at least for my STA1520s).

Again in my market it wasn't (at least for me) necessary to provision the TA. In fact since it wasn't correctly added to my account they said they couldn't provision it. It still worked just fine.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
After slowly going through her computer for a half hour and making two poor souls trying to pay a bill wait, she finally produced a card and a cisco tuning adapter.
By the way if you never called the EZ-Install+CC number ((866) 606-5889 ) the card may not be provisioned correctly. You have to validate that the card is properly paired and the support staff will walk you through all the steps including checking the TA.

My first two provisions took about 10 minutes + hold time. The third one (the Roamio) took 58 minutes.