TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Big Brother 8/29/2013

No real surprises here I suppose. We figured Aaryn was going home. How interesting that Elissa succeeds in getting out her original target and she's unhappy about it. You screwed up Elissa, and once again, McRanda wind up running the house, by getting out who they wanted.

Was nice to see Julie have a backbone and call Aaryn out on her comments, and even went as far as reading a few of them outloud to her. I knew Aaryn was going to play the "I'm from the South" card. If that's really a reflection on how Southerners behave, then that's really very sad. I hope Julie is right and she reflects on her behavior, but I kind of doubt it.

Another extended HoH competition. I'm debating whether to go look to see who won. I'm kind of afraid to find out!!

And another double eviction next week. I had a feeling that was coming since they brought back someone and there's what, 2-3 weeks left?

I wonder if Andy will stick with the "Exterminators" or slink back to McRanda. I bet if Mcranda wins HoH Andy will be back with them in a heartbeat.

I wondered why GM didn't vote to keep Aaryn in the house, even as a sign of solidarity with "her girl". Aaryn explained why, but I don't think it matters one way or the other, I think GM and Elissa are the next target of McRanda if they win HoH.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
jr461

Why does it almost always seem that the one person most don't want to win a specific competition actually wins? I haven't seen any statistics, but in years of watching the show, it's uncanny how often this at least seems to happen.

And how did GM still almost win after dropping her ball with a score of like 90 or so? Did Amanda drop hers? If so, it wasn't shown.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post
Why does it almost always seem that the one person most don't want to win a specific competition actually wins? I haven't seen any statistics, but in years of watching the show, it's uncanny how often this at least seems to happen.

And how did GM still almost win after dropping her ball with a score of like 90 or so? Did Amanda drop hers? If so, it wasn't shown.
I think because that person is usually susceptible to being put up, and thus tries harder? I dunno.

I think Amanda went very slowly. The others were going quickly and kept dropping the balls.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I knew Aaryn was going to play the "I'm from the South" card. If that's really a reflection on how Southerners behave, then that's really very sad.
anyone i know in the south would have been shocked and embarrassed by her comments. i've never understood why others think southerners behave like a "hive mind" - that we think and act the same way, or that we all agree with a group of bigoted people who lived here 50 years ago, before i was born.

are there bigots in the south? sure. there are bigots in california and new york, too. check out the list of hate groups listed online by the slpc, it shows that the number of hate groups increases with population, no matter where you live in the country:
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
anyone i know in the south would have been shocked and embarrassed by her comments. i've never understood why others think southerners behave like a "hive mind" - that we think and act the same way, or that we all agree with a group of bigoted people who lived here 50 years ago, before i was born.

are there bigots in the south? sure. there are bigots in california and new york, too. check out the list of hate groups listed online by the slpc, it shows that the number of hate groups increases with population, no matter where you live in the country:
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map
I agree. I felt very embarrassed for you in the south when she said that. That was really horrible. Blaming it on a "southern upbringing" is terrible. She just can't help herself. She's very naive. Maybe her family is very old school south, and she gets her ideas from that. What a shame!
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
GM seemed to be going twice as fast as most of the others in the HoH comp. Hope that pans out and she can get some revenge.

I also cringed at Aaryn's "I'm from the South" comment. I really wonder if she even knows or remembers what she says.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
gweempose

I was happy to see the floaters finally realize they have the numbers and form an alliance. It's just a shame Elissa is such a bad player that she never reached out to any of them during her reign as HoH. It was a golden opportunity for her to solidify some deals, but instead she basically wasted her HoH. Now she's on the outside of the alliance, and it's going to be tough for her to make it to the end. Not that she deserves to. She is seriously one of the worst players I've ever seen. Even her taped goodbye to Aaryn was a huge blunder. Here is someone that will be casting a vote at the end of the game. Why on Earth wouldn't she at least try to make it seem like she felt bad for evicting her. Say something like "I know we had our differences in the house, but I honestly fought for you to stay. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the numbers. Oh well, I'll probably be joining you next week, since McRanda and Andy are clearly gunning for me."

My how things can change quickly in the BB house. Suddenly, it's not looking so good for McRanda. If neither of them wins HoH this week, I think it's almost a fact that they will both be on the block. With the double eviction, they could both very well be heading to the jury this week.

That interview with Aaryn after she was evicted was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen. I had been waiting for it with eager anticipation all season, but when it finally came, I almost felt bad for her. She was like a deer caught in the headlights. I don't think she saw that coming at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Julie called her out on everything, but it was still hard to watch someone get lambasted on live TV like that.
(3) Minis

Last edited by gweempose : 08-30-2013 at 12:58 PM.
gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
LlamaLarry

I read what Aaryn said quite a bit different than you guys. I felt that she was saying the viewership was ascribing her these racist tendencies because THEY are stereotyping her because she is Southern.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
The audience laughing at Aaryn's answers was kinda awesome. I'm sure she wasn't expecting that.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
nyc13

So are the others going to be called out on this on live TV, or just Aaryn? Given the TV edit the others have gotten, I suspect the latter.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
That interview with Aaryn after she was evicted was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen. I had been waiting for it with eager anticipation all season, but when it finally came, I almost felt bad for her. She was like a deer caught in the headlights.
with all of the coverage of aayrn's comments, i really couldn't see that jc had another way to go with the exit interview.

yes, aaryn was stunned, and her face turned a shade of plum, but it wasn't because she was embarrassed by what she said - she finally realized that someone overheard her, and called her out for what she "thought(?)" were "private" comments.

julie quoting aaryn to her face made this season worth watching, and it was satisfying to watch aaryn squirm. maybe she'll think twice before making comments like that ever again.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 08-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post

Maybe she'll think twice before making comments like that ever again.
One can only hope so. I just worry that hatred like that is too deep seeded.
(3) Minis

Old 08-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

My feeling is that, when she goes back to her family and friends, who may very well be just like her, she'll act as she always did. For once I thought Julie handled the interview very well. I was really wondering how they were going to handle it. Kudos to CBS for calling her out on it. Maybe they had to make peace with the viewers and HAD to call her out. But they could have softballed it and they didn't.

On Elissa, I guess she didn't think she would have gotten Aaryn's vote anyway, so it didn't matter what she said to her.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Don't know if it's been mention in other BB threads, but I always found it interesting how her name is spelled.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Don't know if it's been mention in other BB threads, but I always found it interesting how her name is spelled.
Yeah, I think it was mentioned. I noticed that right away when the stuff came out about the racist comments.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post

For once I thought Julie handled the interview very well. I was really wondering how they were going to handle it. Kudos to CBS for calling her out on it. Maybe they had to make peace with the viewers and HAD to call her out. But they could have softballed it and they didn't.
Julie was appalled and personally offended by Aaryn's comments in the house. Considering her husband is the head of the network, it was pretty obvious she wasn't going to pull any punches. I agree that she handled it very well.
(3) Minis

Old 08-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #17
Ment

It's too bad Aaryn went to jury instead of having to do the interview rounds right away. Kudos for Julie/CBS for laying it out there, thought for sure they were going to fill the audience with CBS puppets or change timing ala Howard. Loled when Aaryn said she was now good friends with Candace.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
mdougie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
It's too bad Aaryn went to jury instead of having to do the interview rounds right away. Kudos for Julie/CBS for laying it out there, thought for sure they were going to fill the audience with CBS puppets or change timing ala Howard. Loled when Aaryn said she was now good friends with Candace.
I spotted actors in the audience so they did try to stuff it with CBS friendlies and she still got booed.
mdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdougie View Post
I spotted actors in the audience so they did try to stuff it with CBS friendlies and she still got booed.
I watched the east coast feed online so didn't record. Were they wearing uniforms?
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
mdougie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I watched the east coast feed online so didn't record. Were they wearing uniforms?
No uniforms just recognized some people from other shows. Like spotting someone in Hells Kitchen.
mdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #21
BrandonRe

Thought it was great when the audience laughed to show they didn't believe Aaryn's lame excuses. For a minute I actually wondered if Julie was going to tell Aaryn she had actually lost her job/contract due to her comments. Now that would have been the icing on the cake.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRe View Post
For a minute I actually wondered if Julie was going to tell Aaryn she had actually lost her job/contract due to her comments.
that could have only happened if she wasn't going to jury. the rules won't allow any outside info passed to the jurors, so that was never really an option for jc.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #23
stellie93

Would somebody post the results of the competition please?
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #24
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Would somebody post the results of the competition please?
I couldn't take it anymore, so I Googled it.

Spoiler:
GM won HoH

(3) Minis

Old 08-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
That interview with Aaryn after she was evicted was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen. I had been waiting for it with eager anticipation all season, but when it finally came, I almost felt bad for her. She was like a deer caught in the headlights. I don't think she saw that coming at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Julie called her out on everything, but it was still hard to watch someone get lambasted on live TV like that.
My thoughts EXACTLY.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #26
brianric

Quote:
I couldn't take it anymore, so I Googled it.

Spoiler:
GM won HoH
There's a Big Brother Season 15 Live Feed and After Dark Discussion (SPOILERS) thread in this forum that gives the same information.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #27
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post

There's a Big Brother Season 15 Live Feed and After Dark Discussion (SPOILERS) thread in this forum that gives the same information.
True, but that thread contains spoilers about everything. If someone only wants to know the results of the HoH competition, it's much safer for them to read my spoiler here than to try to find the same information over there.
(3) Minis

Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #28
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

I wonder if they are gonna give Amanda the same treatment if/when she is booted.

I keep hearing that Amanda is real life friends with the shows exec producer so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
2 R10's- GONE
2 COMCAST HD TiVo DVR's. SofaKing slow.
Snappa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #29
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappa77 View Post
I wonder if they are gonna give Amanda the same treatment if/when she is booted.

I keep hearing that Amanda is real life friends with the shows exec producer so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
after the confrontational exit interview with aaryn, if jc softens the tone with amanda, the conspiracy theories will thrive, and a few forum members heads will explode!

Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #30
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
True, but that thread contains spoilers about everything. If someone only wants to know the results of the HoH competition, it's much safer for them to read my spoiler here than to try to find the same information over there.
except the spoiler shows in the email notification.