TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
pbubel

FIOS CableCard Won't Pair

Got my new Roamio and picked up a CableCard from the Verizon store today. Enter the Roamio's Host and Data ID into the online system and it activates without issue. Everything looks good expect none of the HBO and Cinemax channels work. Since they are the only copy protected channels in the lineup I call Verizon figuring the pairing process failed and they can fix it.

Instead support tells me there is a known problem with pairing Tivo Roamio's and they are working on a fix but have no ETA. She promised to e-mail me some information on the problem but of course nothing has arrived yet.

Anybody else have this problem? I'm planning to give them a call back tomorrow during the day.
pbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

Mine was fine at first but then HBO and Cinemax went out some time later. Then the tech support person screwed me a bunch of ways. Now I can't get HBO and Cinemax on my ELite that was working and I can't get anything but the local channels on my Roamio. It's like the CC was removed from my account. The As*H*** reset my connection so the phone dropped out, without telling me he was going to do that. And then never called me back. And of course I couldn't get a hold of anyone on their supposedly 24/7 number after that. I have to deal with the idiots in the morning. I might have to stop by the FiOS store and exchange cards.
I do wish that guy would have never messed with anything since he apparently had no clue what he was doing or he just screwed me on purpose which could also be the case.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Take the FiOS CableCARD out of the Roamio, and look at the part number on the back, above the bar code.

If that number is either one of these:
514517-002-00 (MCPOD1)
514517-006-00 (MCPOD2)
we think you'll experience a problem.

We believe CableCARDs with this number:
514517-017-00 (MCPOD3)
will work correctly.

If you have an MCPOD1 or MCPOD2 card, call Verizon and ask them to swap your card for an MCPOD3 card.
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
pbubel

Hi TivoMargret, thanks for the info. I just checked and the card I picked up tonight for the Roamio is 514517-017-00 (MCPOD3). My Elite which I confirmed is still working uses an older 514517-006-00 (MCPOD2).

I'm wondering if I'm just having a normal pairing issue and the rep found the knowledge article about Roamio's not pairing and stopped trying to troubleshoot it.

Anything else I can try before giving them a call back in the morning?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
headless chicken

Besides the exorbitant prices, this is another reason why I will never be an early adopter
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

If I have to swap the card I hope they don't try and charge me $4.99 for the new one instead of the current $3.99 I'm paying.

I need to wait until I finish with chat tech support. I had taken the card out of my Roamio and put it back in my Elite so I could try and at least get my other channels back. I'm waiting on the tech to re-activate that card then he needs to repair both of my cards again to fix what the earlier tech screwed up.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

I see I have 514517-002-00 for my newest card, the one that was in the Roamio, so I doubt my older card is the 514517-017-00 that I need. I'll need to try and exchange it in the morning.

Thanks for the info
Old 08-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Besides the exorbitant prices, this is another reason why I will never be an early adopter
Live a little my friend. I ended up getting my unit for 375 not 400 and it's the only way to get dynamic tuner allocation and the faster interface. Totally worth this minor issue. Not like I don't have HBO Go while we get this fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see I have 514517-002-00 for my newest card, the one that was in the Roamio, so I doubt my older card is the 514517-017-00 that I need. I'll need to try and exchange it in the morning.

Thanks for the info
Long as the one in the Roamio is the newest model you should be fine.

Last edited by pbubel : 08-30-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
iadbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbubel View Post
Hi TivoMargret, thanks for the info. I just checked and the card I picked up tonight for the Roamio is 514517-017-00 (MCPOD3). My Elite which I confirmed is still working uses an older 514517-006-00 (MCPOD2).

I'm wondering if I'm just having a normal pairing issue and the rep found the knowledge article about Roamio's not pairing and stopped trying to troubleshoot it.

Anything else I can try before giving them a call back in the morning?
I had the exact same problem. I used the self-install process and it activated the card, but HBO/Cinemax didn't work at all (i.e., station not available message).

Called Verizon at that point. The first CSR completely messed it up causing all channels to be lost. The second CSR, who had never activated a cablecard before, got the card working again (i.e., reactivated). Then he performed a "Reinit", his words, which got the cablecard to successfully pair/validate. After that, HBO and Cinemax worked perfectly. I'll note that the "Val" value showed "V" after the process rather than "?", which was the initial value after activating the card.

Thus, I must have had the preferred series card, 514517-017-00 (MCPOD3), but it still comes down to the CSR's knowing had to properly pair the cards in the first place.

Plainly Verizon needs to fix its cablecard activation process so that the automated process actually pairs the cards. From what I have read on this forum, this has been issue ever since the copy protection for HBO/Cinemax changed last summer.
iadbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadbound View Post
I had the exact same problem. I used the self-install process and it activated the card, but HBO/Cinemax didn't work at all (i.e., station not available message).

Plainly Verizon needs to fix its cablecard activation process so that the automated process actually pairs the cards. From what I have read on this forum, this has been issue ever since the copy protection for HBO/Cinemax changed last summer.
I think you're right, same exact thing happened to me when I got my media center PC. Nothing but a nightmare, Verizon just doesn't care about training.

Better story was when I moved and the tech showed up and wanted to install two M cards in my old Tivo HD, he didn't realize the M card's support more than one turner. Said his entire shop tells people they need two M cards in a Tivo.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
iadbound

Quote:
I think you're right, same exact thing happened to me when I got my media center PC. Nothing but a nightmare, Verizon just doesn't care about training.
I agree on the training point, but I get the feeling the average CSR rarely gets a call about cablecards.

My thought is that Verizon needs to fix its automated activation so that it authorized and validates rather than just authorizing. This would reduce its cablecard calls and save the consumer a lot of headaches.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
pbubel

Quote:
I agree on the training point, but I get the feeling the average CSR rarely gets a call about cablecards.

My thought is that Verizon needs to fix its automated activation so that it authorized and validates rather than just authorizing. This would reduce its cablecard calls and save the consumer a lot of headaches.
YES! Completely agree with that. Why waste the money on paying somebody to take my call.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Long as the one in the Roamio is the newest model you should be fine.

It's my newest card, which is the oldest on the list that TiVoMargaret had.

I went by the FiOS store this morning and exchanged my card for a 514517-017-00 (MCPOD3) card.
So hopefully this will work fine.

Now I just need to see if the network issues(It kept losing it's Internet connection) I had with my Pro last night were somehow related to the cable card. Since they did not start until the FiOS rep had screwed up my card in the Roamio Pro. I initiated a clear and delete early this morning and then just unplugged my Roamio Pro before I went to work.

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-30-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Called Verizon at that point. The first CSR completely messed it up causing all channels to be lost. The second CSR, who had never activated a cablecard before, got the card working again (i.e., reactivated). Then he performed a "Reinit", his words, which got the cablecard to successfully pair/validate. After that, HBO and Cinemax worked perfectly. I'll note that the "Val" value showed "V" after the process rather than "?", which was the initial value after activating the card.

Thus, I must have had the preferred series card, 514517-017-00 (MCPOD3), but it still comes down to the CSR's knowing had to properly pair the cards in the first place.

The thing is with their automated process there should be no need to talk to a person. In the past this has worked well for me, but not this time. I plan to use the automated process tonight with the new card. I'll be able to do it online(instead of the phone automated service) this time though since I have an activation number for the new card.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
NYHeel

Quote:
The thing is with their automated process there should be no need to talk to a person. In the past this has worked well for me, but not this time. I plan to use the automated process tonight with the new card. I'll be able to do it online(instead of the phone automated service) this time though since I have an activation number for the new card.
Let us know how it goes. This is one reason I'm considering getting a new card for my Roamio when it comes rather than deal with repairing one of the cards in my premieres.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
Bwatford141

I don't have HBO or Cinimax anymore, but I didn't have to pair my cable card at all when I replaced my XL4 with the Roamio. All channels are working great. I thought for sure that I would be calling verizon...guess not.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
I don't have HBO or Cinimax anymore, but I didn't have to pair my cable card at all when I replaced my XL4 with the Roamio. All channels are working great. I thought for sure that I would be calling verizon...guess not.
All mine were working with just swapping the card except for HBO and cinemax which require pairing to work. If I had it over again I would have never called tech support. Since after he did some things the card would not receive any channels except the local ones.

It would have saved me a lot of frustration. Plus after the tech screwed things up I started losing my internet connection every few seconds on the Roamio.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #19
uashruf

I also had this problem with my Roamio and Elite. The cable cards went in and HBO and Cinemax went out. I was sent a new cable card but the same problem happened.

However, I was lucky and got a CSR who really wanted to help. After about an hour and running up and downstairs between TiVos, everything is working. I spoke to his supervisor to compliment the CSR I was put in touch with (having worked with two others that were clueless) and the supervisor told me that they will make the fix known to all CSRs via an email.

SO, I believe if you call Verizon customer service again, they will be able to get it sorted out. I didnt know it was a common problem since the device is still so new. I didnt ask what was done, but the CSR said he deactivated all of the cable cards I had an reactivated them one at a time with new Host ID and Data IDs.

Dont give up, as I think you can have it working perfectly like me. Just call again.

TiVo is really one of the best things ever.
uashruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
shamilian

Quote:
If I have to swap the card I hope they don't try and charge me $4.99 for the new one instead of the current $3.99 I'm paying.
Don't worry as of Aug 1 Verizon raised all the cards to $4.99, just go my new bill.....
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post

Don't worry as of Aug 1 Verizon raised all the cards to $4.99, just go my new bill.....
Mine are still $3.99 but the lady at the store said it will go up in Dec
Old 08-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
sirkulation

Quote:
Mine are still $3.99 but the lady at the store said it will go up in Dec
aaronwt, please PM me about your tivo for sale. I just joined and the forum won't let me PM you (or anybody else) yet. Thx
sirkulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #23
jasbur

Got my new bill yesterday and cablecard is now $4.99.
Last month's bill they started adding $2.42 for "Regional Sports Network Fee"
I wonder what they're gonna try adding next month.
I always hated Comcast for "bill creep" and after several years with Verizon, they are starting to do the same thing.
jasbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

I got the new card up and working. I did the online activation and it did activate the card but it did not pair the card even though the info was entered. This time I used chat tech support instead of the telephone. It took almost half an hour but at least the tech got everything working. And i don't seem to be having any network issues with the Roamio either. At least not yet. Now I just need to see if I can transfer my SPs online.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
pbubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwatford141 View Post
You got lucky by not having HBO or Cinemax anymore, you only need to pair CC's if you have those channels.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
pbubel

Quick update for anybody that cares. I called Verizon back yesterday afternoon and worked with a tech. Him and his surpervior attempted to pair the card with no luck. I was in a hurry to get to dinner so at the end of the call I didn't think to check my regular cable channels which no longer worked. My locals did so I got fooled.

Ended up calling back after dinner and another tech and his supervisor (a different guy) worked on it again with no luck. They were able to restore my cable channels, just not get it paired so I could watch HBO or Cinemax. They are now sending a tech out on Sunday to fix it. Not sure what a tech can do but at least they are trying.

Anybody else have any luck? Any tips are welcomed. Thanks all happy long weekend to everybody!
Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #27
iadbound

Quote:
Quick update for anybody that cares. I called Verizon back yesterday afternoon and worked with a tech. Him and his surpervior attempted to pair the card with no luck. I was in a hurry to get to dinner so at the end of the call I didn't think to check my regular cable channels which no longer worked. My locals did so I got fooled.

Ended up calling back after dinner and another tech and his supervisor (a different guy) worked on it again with no luck. They were able to restore my cable channels, just not get it paired so I could watch HBO or Cinemax. They are now sending a tech out on Sunday to fix it. Not sure what a tech can do but at least they are trying.

Anybody else have any luck? Any tips are welcomed. Thanks all happy long weekend to everybody!
The CSR who got mine working said he performed a set top box refresh followed by a "reinit." After that the card was paired. I can't see any reason to roll a truck.

I would note that the first CSR messed it up completely, and just like you, nothing worked after he tried to pair it. Not satisfied with the result, I decided to call back. The second CSR got the reactivated the card. At that point, everything but HBO and Cinemax worked. He then did the refresh and reinit.

In any event, you might try calling back before the truck rolls.

BTW--I see we are neighbors.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
innocentfreak

I did the chat tech support on their website which I believe is 24/7 and they were able to pair it in about 3 minutes. The wait to chat took longer.

I simply told them my card activated fine, but the pairing didn't go through since I couldn't watch HBO and Cinemax. He knew what I was talking about and asked me which card. He hit it again and 3 minutes later it was working.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #29
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The CSR who got mine working said he performed a set top box refresh followed by a "reinit." After that the card was paired. I can't see any reason to roll a truck.

I would note that the first CSR messed it up completely, and just like you, nothing worked after he tried to pair it. Not satisfied with the result, I decided to call back. The second CSR got the reactivated the card. At that point, everything but HBO and Cinemax worked. He then did the refresh and reinit.

In any event, you might try calling back before the truck rolls.

BTW--I see we are neighbors.
The chat tech support person I was communicating with said he did a reload of the card. It took several minutes but once it was finished I had HBO and Cinemax coming in.

After this experience I won 't be using phone support as my first choice in the future. That tech screwed everything up for me. And the chat tech support, at 3Am, got most of it working again. I just need to remember in the future to use the FiOS in Home Agent to access the chat tech support.

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-31-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
Ferd57

Fios says it is a Roamio problem

Have now spent four hours with five different Fios representatives and they all now seem to say this is a Roamio issue not a Fios issue. Any updates out there?
Ferd57 is offline   Reply With Quote