TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
twobad

Need Tivo software for replacement HD

I paid for a "lifetime subscription" TCD540040 with a Maxtor HD date of manufacture 2004 that failed the seatools long test- bad sectors. Attempts at using Spinrite v6.0 failed to get the drive to run again using level 2 and level 4 utilities. I have some old hard drives lying around and would like to get the unit up and running again without dropping $99 bucks on a new HD or $38 bucks on software.

Is it possible (legally) to obtain the image such that an off-the-shelf HD can run in the 540040 and if so, where would one find the software.

Thank you,

-=T=-
twobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
MeInDallas

Head over to this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=388695
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
reubanks

This way is more direct...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...85#post9160085

Randy
1 HDXL w/WD20EADS and Lifetime
1 THD stock Lifetime. Smouldering wreckage...
reubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
twobad

Thank you

Thank you gents
(and especially the p.m. guy who I can't thank via PM 'cause I don't have ten posts...)
-=T=-
Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
twobad

Question regarding "backup" and restore.

Winmfs instructions detail backing up then restoring the original Tivo HD.

Would I be correct in assuming that I will not be backing up the original Tivo drive, but will, instead, use the image I now have (via PM) as the source and put this on the new drive?

This would mean I have one less HD connected, correct?

Thanks,
-=T=-
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobad View Post
Winmfs instructions detail backing up then restoring the original Tivo HD.

Would I be correct in assuming that I will not be backing up the original Tivo drive, but will, instead, use the image I now have (via PM) as the source and put this on the new drive?

This would mean I have one less HD connected, correct?

Thanks,
-=T=-
That is correct. You don't have a working Tivo drive to do a backup from. I have never used winmfs with just an image, but I assume it will read from a CD.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #7
twobad

Got a replacement drive up and running

Now I'd like to shoot the moon and see if I can transfer my old shows over to the new drive. The old drive failed the seagate tools long test due to "bad sectors". Do ya'll think it's possible to copy a drive with bad sectors or should I just chuck the drive towards the landfill?
thanks,
-=T=-
Old 05-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Now I'd like to shoot the moon and see if I can transfer my old shows over to the new drive. The old drive failed the seagate tools long test due to "bad sectors". Do ya'll think it's possible to copy a drive with bad sectors or should I just chuck the drive towards the landfill?
thanks,
-=T=-
I'm the PM guy and you're welcome. As for transferring the shows, the only way to do that is if the drive is functioning in a Tivo. You can't hook the drive up to a computer and copy files even if you are running Linux.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #9
twobad

THANK YOU lillevig!!!!

Thank you for the information re: non functioning HD in the Tivo not being copied- that is as I would have guessed.

I can't tell you how happy I am to keep from having to trash my Tivo! I haven't used it in some time, but now I will!

Thanks again!
-=T=-
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
WO312

Quote:
thanks,
-=T=-
One thing you could try - since you know that you can make a good drive. Hook up the old Tivo drive and the new drive (that you just created) to winmfs and see if it can read the old Tivo drive. If it can, you could do a total copy over. This will overwrite your new drive, but no matter since you can always re-do it if things fail. If not, then it is toast and just put the new drive back in the Tivo. If you've already tried this then don't bother.

If winmfs doesn't work you could try dd_rescue, but that's a whole 'nother story. Chances are your drive isn't readable, period. Especially if SpinRite doesn't fix it.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #11
twobad

Twobad here... I was able to install the image and record two episodes of a TV show. I made a few changes in the menu (nightight and LED's), the TIVO then asked me to "restart" it. I did that from the menu and it never came back up. Now it reboots every 45-60 seconds and the left, green LED never flashes yellow for me to put a "diagnostic" code in (like 57).

STUPID ME did not record all the machinations I went though to get the TIVO up n running a couple of months ago.

I have a .tdk image file but am bewildered on how to use it to prepare may hard drive- in other words, does it need an MFS or WinMFS program, master / slave or CS setup, which drive should be master or at the end of the ribbon cable.

The old grey matter appears to be getting soft.

I have a few days before the next episode airs so any advice (or a tutorial) on placing a .tdk image on a hard drive on a computer with only one IDE channel would be MOST appreciated.

Also, was the "update" the tivo asked me to restart for the culprit (and should I avoid any "updates" in the future) or was this just bad voodoo?

THANKS GUYS!,
-=T=-
Old 08-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Twobad here... I was able to install the image and record two episodes of a TV show. I made a few changes in the menu (nightight and LED's), the TIVO then asked me to "restart" it. I did that from the menu and it never came back up. Now it reboots every 45-60 seconds and the left, green LED never flashes yellow for me to put a "diagnostic" code in (like 57).

STUPID ME did not record all the machinations I went though to get the TIVO up n running a couple of months ago.

I have a .tdk image file but am bewildered on how to use it to prepare may hard drive- in other words, does it need an MFS or WinMFS program, master / slave or CS setup, which drive should be master or at the end of the ribbon cable.

The old grey matter appears to be getting soft.

I have a few days before the next episode airs so any advice (or a tutorial) on placing a .tdk image on a hard drive on a computer with only one IDE channel would be MOST appreciated.

Also, was the "update" the tivo asked me to restart for the culprit (and should I avoid any "updates" in the future) or was this just bad voodoo?

THANKS GUYS!,
-=T=-
As long as WinMFS can find the drive, it should be able to write to it from the .tbk file, so be sure you don't tell it the wrong drive when you click "Select Drive", because it will overwrite whatever's on that drive.

And an image taken from a Maxtor drive of that era will need to go onto one at least as big as the Maxtor was, and they were slightly bigger than the other brands for a given or advertised size in GBs. You have to go by the LBA number or go with a bigger drive. For instance my 540 image won't go onto a WD or Seagate 40GB drive, but will go onto anyone's 60 or 80GB drive.

However, your problem may be a power supply with "capacitor plague" that's unable to put out quite as much power as it did originally and therefore not enough to operate the TiVo properly.

The good news is that it's fixable for about $10 or less in parts if you know which end of a soldering iron to hold.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #13
twobad

Thanks, Unitron!

I visually inspected the caps and did not see any bulging or other signs of failure. That said, I've recapped an LCD monitor board and the chassis of a vintage 1981 video game monitor so I think this is something I can handle. My local electronics store went tits up 3 months ago so I'm relegated to buying online, which is no problem, other than my impatience.

That said, is there a list (and diagram) of the caps for the TCD540040 floating around on the interwebs so I can order replacements before removing each cap for identification?

Thanks again!,
-=T=-
Old 08-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Thanks, Unitron!

I visually inspected the caps and did not see any bulging or other signs of failure. That said, I've recapped an LCD monitor board and the chassis of a vintage 1981 video game monitor so I think this is something I can handle. My local electronics store went tits up 3 months ago so I'm relegated to buying online, which is no problem, other than my impatience.

That said, is there a list (and diagram) of the caps for the TCD540040 floating around on the interwebs so I can order replacements before removing each cap for identification?

Thanks again!,
-=T=-
I don't know if there's anything wrong with your power supply or not.

If it does have a cap or 3 that need replacing, they'll likely be the ones tucked under the heat sink overhang where they're the hardest to get to.

And they'll almost certainly be the ones on the +5 or +12 Volt or both outputs.

You can look at the bottom of the PS board where the red wire and the yellow wire connect and trace the copper back to where the + lead of caps are connected to find the ones on the 5 and 12 Volt rails.

If you have or can borrow a voltmeter, back probe the hard drive power connector's red and yellow wires to check the voltages and do it again with that same Molex plug removed from the hard drive to see if the readings are about the same regardless of whether the hard drive is part of the load or not.

Be careful not to even partially dislodge the ribbon cable that leads from the motherboard to the front panel--this can cause a partial short that takes out a component or 2 on the motherboard.

And be careful not to disturb the ribbon cable from the power supply to the motherboard either.

Voltage readings shouldn't be more than a half volt above or below +5 on the red and +12 on the yellow, and should be similar with and without the drive power connected if the voltage regulating circuitry on the PS is working properly.

Ground the meter's negative lead to the metal chassis on the side away from the power supply, or at least back probe the black wire on the Molex that's not next to the colored wire you're putting the + lead into and don't let the leads touch.

Remember that part of the power supply is connected straight to the wall socket power and with the cover off of the TiVo there's no internal cage keeping you from coming into contact with those live parts.

And always, always, know exactly where both ends of the TiVo power cord are at all times.

And try to avoid plugging and unplugging the cord from the back of the TiVo anymore than absolutely necessary and don't wiggle it side to side when you do.

If you can plug it into an outlet strip with a switch during testing instead of a wall socket you have to get on your knees and crawl under furniture to reach, even better. It's good to be able to shut the power off immediately just in case.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
unitron

One other thing.

If there's a problem with the motherboard itself, you might be able to pick up another 540 cheap on Craigslist or at Goodwill or a yard sale, and someone who knows what they're doing soldering and unsoldering Surface Mount Devices and is set up to do so can move the lifetimed machine's crypto chip to the other motherboard.

This is possible up through the first of the Series 3s, but not with the later S3 HDs and S4s and 5s.

The TiVo Service Number for that particular unit is stored on the crypto chip and the connection in the TiVo, Inc, database is between your PLS status and the TSN, so if the chip is successfully moved, the new motherboard contacts the TiVo servers and reports the original TSN and as far as TiVo is concerned it's the same old lifetimed machine.