Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Two questions -Adding memory and % bar

Not sure where to ask this or if it's possible, but I was wondering about adding more memory to my premiere. By that I mean more storage - for regular and for HD. I know people have done it for the Series 2's - I have one that I got from TCF that had it added. Could someone give me a link to a thread where this is discussed?

I was also wondering about the % bar on My Shows. I have about 75 in "deleted show" section because the one I have was bought used and I deleted most all of the old stuff (did find some old Quantum Leaps I was happy to see). Anyway, the % bar shows at 22% and then after a weeks worth of stuff I record it goes to like 26%. It hit 33% last week and I went into the deleted show section and "permanently deleted" a bunch of stuff but that was a pain.

Some of the reason is HD. I am recording more shows in HD now then I ever did before. I changed my cable plan and get more channels. I guess I wonder do I need to worry that much about the storage and if so when do I start?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Go to the Tivo Upgrade Forum to get instructions how to increase drive size (i.e. storage).

Deleted items do not impact the usage bar, you don't need to manage that folder at all. Some like to micro manage it, but their rationale is their personal preference.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I was also wondering about the % bar on My Shows. I have about 75 in "deleted show" section because the one I have was bought used and I deleted most all of the old stuff (did find some old Quantum Leaps I was happy to see). Anyway, the % bar shows at 22% and then after a weeks worth of stuff I record it goes to like 26%. It hit 33% last week and I went into the deleted show section and "permanently deleted" a bunch of stuff but that was a pain.
Recordings in the recently deleted folder (RDF) do NOT count toward your used space. If your Premiere is at 45% and you permanently delete 100 HD recordings from the RDF, it will still show 45%.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Not sure where to ask this or if it's possible, but I was wondering about adding more memory to my premiere. By that I mean more storage - for regular and for HD. I know people have done it for the Series 2's - I have one that I got from TCF that had it added. Could someone give me a link to a thread where this is discussed?

Some of the reason is HD. I am recording more shows in HD now then I ever did before. I changed my cable plan and get more channels. I guess I wonder do I need to worry that much about the storage and if so when do I start?

What you mean is putting in a bigger hard drive.

(you could add one of the TiVo-approved WD external 500GB or 1TB drives, but I'd advise against it for a couple of reasons, cost per GB and potential for problems that'll cost you your recordings)

You should be able to find the Western Digital WD20EURS 2TB hard drive for $100 or less on Amazon or newegg, and you can use the free jmfs software to copy the drive in your Premiere now to that 2TB and then expand into the extra space.

You'll need a set of Torx bits to open up the Premiere and take the drive out.

You'll need a PC with a CD burner to make a bootable cd from the jmfs .iso file by burning it to the cd-r as an image.

You'll need that same PC or another one to connect both drives to in order to do the copy and expand.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
WRX09MD

Try Weaknees.com. Upgrade easily with them.
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Hi Betts, as others have said the upgrade sub-forum here goes over it. The actual thread is Premiere Drive Upgrade Instructions - with all-in-one jmfs Live CD

I personally haven't done an upgrade on a Premiere (my elite is already maxed out at 2tb from the factory), but I've use that same JMFS tool before and it's was easy enough.