apw2607

Walt Mossberg reviews the new Roamio

Including a review of a early release of the stream out the house feature

http://allthingsd.com/20130820/new-r...ivo-on-the-go/
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

So protected content can't be streamed outside of the home, I take it? This will screw over anyone on TWC, Cox, etc. that wants this feature. But given how crappy it looked in his review, might not be worth it anyway.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Bryan Lyle
Tivo'n since 1999

Right. The chances of channels like HBO streaming outside your home are almost 0.
Bryan Lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lyle View Post
Right. The chances of channels like HBO streaming outside your home are almost 0.
Wouldn't the program be better streaming off of HBOGo anyway?
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Exactly why stream out of your home on a slower pipe when you can directly on a faster pipe.

HBO and the rest just needs to start allowing non cable subscriptions.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
What about your protected content recordings? Does this change your mind?

It's not about live TV, or VOD...
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
jjd_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
What about your protected content recordings? Does this change your mind?

It's not about live TV, or VOD...
What do you mean protected content recordings? HBOGo pretty much carries everything HBO has to offer.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #8
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Exactly why stream out of your home on a slower pipe when you can directly on a faster pipe.

HBO and the rest just needs to start allowing non cable subscriptions.
Yah then we won't have to get a Tivo.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Lyle View Post
And once again, the Slingbox looks good....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
What do you mean protected content recordings? HBOGo pretty much carries everything HBO has to offer.
That depends on how old it is. They typically have everything currently airing on HBO, but if I recorded a movie 6 months ago it may not be available on HBOGo any more.

Also I noticed that for the few weeks leading up to the new season of Newsroom they removed it from HBOGo. Not sure why. I know it was there a few months earlier because I used it to watch the first season.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
And once again, the Slingbox looks good....
Slingbox is exploiting the analog hole at the moment. But someday all devices will be strictly HDMI, and when that day comes Slingbox is going to be in the same boat because they wont be able to stream anything with HDCP protection.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
So protected content can't be streamed outside of the home, I take it? This will screw over anyone on TWC, Cox, etc. that wants this feature. But given how crappy it looked in his review, might not be worth it anyway.
I am wondering if this protected content is determined by the CCI bit. I suspect it is, but it really isn't the same thing.

The CCI bit 0x02 - is a limiter for copy once, but as far as I know it doesn't specifically exclude streaming outside the home. Is TiVo interpreting the rules to exclude all content with this CCI bit set for external streaming? I can actually see the Premium subscription channels such as HBO, having additional constraints within the rules, but I do not see any limitations to streaming either locally or externally within these specific rules. Anyone?

http://w2.eff.org/IP/pnp/FCC_PnP_Ruling.pdf

Quote:
D. Limits on Copy Protection Encoding
65. The final component of the proposed encoding rules is comprised of caps on the level of copy protection that may apply to
various categories of MVPD programming.

These proposed caps do not obligate the encoding of programming with copy restrictions, nor do they prescribe a specific level of copy protection for particular programs. MVPDs would remain free
to negotiate with content providers for any level of encoding that falls below or is equal to the applicable cap for the relevant programming category, which is referred to in the draft rules as a
“Defined Business Model.”

The defined business models and corresponding copy protection caps proposed in the draft rules include:
(1) Unencrypted broadcast television – no copy restrictions may be imposed;
(2) Pay television, non-premium subscription television, and free conditional access delivery transmissions – one generation of copies is the most stringent restriction that may be imposed; and
(3) VOD, PPV, or Subscription-on-Demand transmissions – no copies is the most stringent restriction that may be impose d, however, even when no copies are allowed, such content may be paused up to 90 minutes from its initial transmission.

66. These defined business models are intended to reflect the conventional methods for packaging programming content in the MV PD market as of December 31, 2002.

To the extent that an MVPD wishes to implement a new service within a defined business model, other than unencrypted broadcast television, and seeks to modify the established encoding rule applicable to that business model for their specific service, it would be able to petition the Commission in order to do so.

Such petitions would be subject to public notice and comment and the Commission would be required to consider the potential im pact of the proposed change upon consumers and the
public interest.

Out of a recognition that this process could provide rival MVPDs with a competitive advantage by forecasting in advance new services and products, the draft rules allow for a temporary bona fide trial of a service.

To ensure that this trial provision is not abused, complaints may be filed when an MVPD has a good faith belief that a new service within a defined business model has been launched without petitioning the Commission.

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 08-30-2013 at 04:49 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

There really aren't any rules or provisions for streaming outside the home in the CableCARD spec. Doesn't the Dish DVR have built in Slingbox functionality? Does it allow all content? Or does it have restrictions on premium channels?

TiVo could be setting a precedent here for cable, so they might be working with their cable partners to see how they want to handle it.

If they are just blindly blocking all copy once content then that seems a bit over protective, since this isn't actually copying anything.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There really aren't any rules or provisions for streaming outside the home in the CableCARD spec. Doesn't the Dish DVR have built in Slingbox functionality? Does it allow all content? Or does it have restrictions on premium channels?

TiVo could be setting a precedent here for cable, so they might be working with their cable partners to see how they want to handle it.

If they are just blindly blocking all copy once content then that seems a bit over protective, since this isn't actually copying anything.
And we are making some assumptions on what is actually being blocked based on these reviews... Most reviewers are like me (I have FIOS) with only the Premium channels set to copy once. Has any of the reviewers said they couldn't stream at all because of the restrictions?

It is an early version of the software... I suppose we will know when it is released in November, but I really hope TiVo pushes the boundaries on this one a little.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
And we are making some assumptions on what is actually being blocked based on these reviews... Most reviewers are like me (I have FIOS) with only the Premium channels set to copy once. Has any of the reviewers said they couldn't stream at all because of the restrictions?

It is an early version of the software... I suppose we will know when it is released in November, but I really hope TiVo pushes the boundaries on this one a little.
I agree. Don't read too much into this. It was a early release and tivo I'm sure is working out the agreement with the content providers regarding what can be consumed out the house
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I thought the big benefit of streaming over downloading was that it would work with content that has the CCI flag set. Nearly all of my recordings these days has that restriction. If the Mini can't stream that stuff out of the home, this new feature is a non-starter for me.

Way to go TiVo, you've disappointed again. Let's hope you figure this out before release.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote