TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
tivaulo

Have you tested your Basic for Gigabit?

I know the box say one thing and the website says another. So nothing better than someone's real life experience to solve this problem.

If your switch is nice enough to have two separate lights for 10/100 and 1000. Have you connected your Basic to that switch and seen the gigabit light go on?

Or if you have any other reliable way to test it could you please post?

Thanks
tivaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
jodell
TiVo geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivaulo View Post
I know the box say one thing and the website says another. So nothing better than someone's real life experience to solve this problem.

If your switch is nice enough to have two separate lights for 10/100 and 1000. Have you connected your Basic to that switch and seen the gigabit light go on?

Or if you have any other reliable way to test it could you please post?

Thanks
100 Mb/s is what my Roamio connects as. I would love it if a software update would support 1000 Mb/s but I am not hopeful.

I went looking for a spec sheet for the chipset to see if it really supported 100/1000 Mb/s but did not succeed.

Jeff
jodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
JWhites

Weird because the spec page for the Roamios all say gigabit, as does some reviewers so that's why there seems to be confusion online.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #4
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Weird because the spec page for the Roamios all say gigabit, as does some reviewers so that's why there seems to be confusion online.
This isn't weird at all;

1. The TiVo website has been, and still is, wrong.
2. Reviewers believed the TiVo website.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
jcthorne

Yes, verified on my Roamio basic connected to a cisco 48 port managed switch. 100mbit. The TiVo page is wrong and they choose not to fix it. They were told last week about it.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Why does it matter? If it streams/transfers to other devices without an issue, is there something to be gained that I don't understand by having a potential connection speed that will not be used?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
This isn't weird at all;

1. The TiVo website has been, and still is, wrong.
2. Reviewers believed the TiVo website.
I still bitterly expect a software or firmware update to push out that fixes it, but then again I'm looking at the Plus and/or MoCA anyway so....
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
tivaulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yes, verified on my Roamio basic connected to a cisco 48 port managed switch. 100mbit. The TiVo page is wrong and they choose not to fix it. They were told last week about it.
That's probably illegal to knowingly have a comparing table with the wrong information in it.

Now I don't know anymore. I was about to get rid of my failing S2 and Premiere and go for a basic+mini combo. Now I could probably find a Premiere4+mini for half the price of a RoamioPlus+mini. Is the faster cpu worth that much?

That's another "shoot your own foot" move by Tivo.
tivaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Why does it matter? If it streams/transfers to other devices without an issue, is there something to be gained that I don't understand by having a potential connection speed that will not be used?
The Plus/Pro reportedly does actually exceed 100 Mbit on transfers, so the port may actually be the limiting factor on the base Roamio (the first time this was ever true for a TiVo).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
The Plus/Pro reportedly does actually exceed 100 Mbit on transfers, so the port may actually be the limiting factor on the base Roamio (the first time this was ever true for a TiVo).
'Limiting factor' during what activity, i.e., what would someone notice?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Limiting factor on the speed of transfers

Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Limiting factor on the speed of transfers
I'll rephrase.

Both my Mini and Roamio Basic are connected to my gigabit Ethernet network.

Will I see a degraded picture on the TV connected to the Mini because the Roamio Basic can only transfer at 100 versus a Plus or a Pro that could transfer at 1,000?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
DaveDFW

Quote:
Will I see a degraded picture on the TV connected to the Mini because the Roamio Basic can only transfer at 100 versus a Plus or a Pro that could transfer at 1,000?
No, the transfers don't work that way. The host Tivo does not re-encode the video stream to match available bandwidth. It merely transfers the video exactly as recorded.

If a network were slower than the speed needed to transfer the video stream, you'd experience stops and starts instead of degraded image quality.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No.

This isn't about streaming.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
I'll rephrase.

Both my Mini and Roamio Basic are connected to my gigabit Ethernet network.

Streaming is different than coping or transferring a file,. When you are streaming from your Roamio Basic to a Mini the bit rate for the highest quality video you can record is something less than 20 Mp/sec so that is all the band width that will ever be used.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
TC25D

Thanks!

Since it is not possible to transfer anything to a Mini and I won't be transferring anything to the Roamio Basic from any other source, the 10/100 speed of its Ethernet connection is a non-issue.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Streaming (and scrubbing through the timeline) would work better on a gigabit capable device than it would on a device that could only do 10/100.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote