TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
joelw

Problems Out of the Box

I'm very disappointed in the setup of my Roamio Plus. I called Tivo to switch my activation from my Premier XL to my new Roamio, and they couldn't get it done. After many attempts and a long time on hold, Tivo concluded that there's a problem at their end, and they are working on activating my unit. It could take 24 - 48 hours Really? Come on guys... I have no guides, information, pause, and can't record. I checked it out this morning, and there's no progress.

Second problem - the Roamio's telling me that my expander unit is not compatible with the Roamio. I've been using this on the last two generations of Tivo's with no problems. The tech guessed, however, that the problem lies with the authorization failure. I don't know if I'm going to wait another day or two for the problems to be resolved. I'm thinking of just taking the Roamio back to Best Buy and exchanging it for a new one.
joelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
NJChris
Moogs!

From reading another thread about the expander, I think it mentioned you need to do all the updates then it will recognize the external.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
joelw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post
From reading another thread about the expander, I think it mentioned you need to do all the updates then it will recognize the external.
Thanks for the reply - I did the updates as part of the initial setup, but ... nothing.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
NJChris
Moogs!

The other thread mentioned the person forced it to connect to Tivo a few times after the initial setup, including rebooting.

I'm surprised the support for it isn't in the initial software since it's not something new.
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
joelw

Here's an update to my earlier post - The Roamio is now activated, and has full functionality

As for the extender disk, the Roamio recognizes it, BUT wants to prepare it for use by formatting. All programs will be lost. I'm going to keep my XL on the network for a few days and try to transfer my recordings to the Roamio. Then, I'll let it format the extender disk. All is good.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah you can't just move the expander to another TiVo and keep all your shows. The way the expander works is that it's married to the TiVo it's connected to, and once it is all shows recorded there after are split between the internal drive and the external drive. This is specifically to prevent people from connecting the external drive to a PC and extracting the shows. The only way to move shows is to use MRV to transfer them via the network.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
phillygirl

Expander

joelw,
did you just have to do multiple updates for it to recognize the expander? I'm still getting the "does not support this expander" message.
phillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think it was mentioned in another thread that you have to force a few calls and go through a couple of updates before it'll recognize the expander.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
joelw

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl View Post
joelw,
did you just have to do multiple updates for it to recognize the expander? I'm still getting the "does not support this expander" message.
Once Tivo was able to activate my new unit, the expander was recognized. I didn't have to run through the menus or force a connection.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Ahh... so it's an activation problem. I wonder why the TiVo has to be activated to support an extender?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Goober96

Speaking of activation, Weaknees sent me my TSN even though my Pro just shipped today. What would be the advantage to activating it before I receive it?
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober96 View Post
Speaking of activation, Weaknees sent me my TSN even though my Pro just shipped today. What would be the advantage to activating it before I receive it?
In my case activating the unit while I could read the TSN. Had an eye exam when my Pro arrived, eyes were still dilated.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote