Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

The Bridge "Vendetta" 8/28/2013 S1E8

Wow. Didn't see THAT coming.

They did a great job with the reveal. Someone on the periphery, yet inside enough to have all the knowledge needed. You had to be wondering why they kept showing Alma and her affair, other than to drive Marco nuts. Now we know. I thought the way so many threads all tied together was simply masterful.

And with four episodes left, we have plenty of time to explore... well, everything.

Graciela's discovery of the trackers can't be good news for Ray-Ray. Who wanted to know if he had to make a down payment again.

[Aside: Dear The Killing, this is how you write a mystery. You don't have to have the red herring of the week, that drives your viewers away by the millions. And then a reveal, two years later, that comes from left field. You can create a few false trails, and when the reveal is made, it's actually not the end-all, be-all. It's just one more part of a larger story, that keeps us watching.]
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
astrohip
Stuart F

Just now read James Poniewozik's review. He compares this to The Killing, and even talks about how this reveal is not the end-all be-all to the show. Same words I used. I did not read his review before my post. I'm not shy about quoting online reviewers, but we just ended up at the same place by happenstance.

It is a great review though...

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/0...-mystery-show/
Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
wprager

Radzinski?
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I thought the way so many threads all tied together was simply masterful.
Yeah, things that at first seem to be absurdly coincidental, it turns out their connections are the whole reason the story is happening in the first place (I'm thinking in particular of the killer dating the cop's wife, when it will no doubt turn out that he targeted her specifically because she is his wife).

As you say, masterfully done. I'm tempted to track down the Scandinavian version.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Gerryex

I'm following most of the stuff that's going on, but I'm confused by Linder. First off, I don't know if that's the actor's natural voice, but it is the lowest voice I think I've ever heard and most of the time I have a hard time understanding what he's saying. Now, earlier in the show didn't he take a woman from Mexico in the trunk of his car to a remote trailer in the desert? And didn't he ultimately kill her and then burn her up in a barrel. Or was that just her clothes that he burned. But either way he did kill her didn't he?

And then later on he tries to get the girlfriend of the nasty Mexican boss back to her mother. Where does Linder fit into all of this?

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
wprager

All along I was wondering if Linder was or wasn't a suspect. He's got that voice that sounds like the serial killer on the phone (which, of course, we know started out being a voice actor, reading lines several years earlier). But I thought Linder's voice being so low was misdirection. Then Hank *also* has a very deep voice, so I began to wonder if he was the killer.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
wprager

Metacritic has The Bridge at 77. Under the Dome is 72. I am deleting it from my bookmarks.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Metacritic has The Bridge at 77. Under the Dome is 72. I am deleting it from my bookmarks.
That's just crazytalk.

I don't know who Metacritic is, but clearly they're crazytalkers.

(Unless 80 is "Greatest Show Ever" and 70 is "Worst Show Ever," in which case I withdraw my comment.")
Old 08-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
(Unless 80 is "Greatest Show Ever" and 70 is "Worst Show Ever," in which case I withdraw my comment.")
LOL
Old 08-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
wprager

Quote:
That's just crazytalk.

I don't know who Metacritic is, but clearly they're crazytalkers.

You should see where they have Firefly.

On second thought, no, maybe you shouldn't.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Yeah, things that at first seem to be absurdly coincidental, it turns out their connections are the whole reason the story is happening in the first place (I'm thinking in particular of the killer dating the cop's wife, when it will no doubt turn out that he targeted her specifically because she is his wife).

As you say, masterfully done. I'm tempted to track down the Scandinavian version.
He is absolutely targeting the cop's wife. Because the cop was having an affair with *his* wife while they were still married.

One more vote for all the comparisons to The Killing and how badly they bungled it. The Bridge, and Broadchurch, is how you do a series long murder mystery.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
He is absolutely targeting the cop's wife. Because the cop was having an affair with *his* wife while they were still married.
Yes, I qualified with "no doubt" only because they haven't revealed that he is specifically targeting her yet. But there can be, well, no doubt.

But it is the kind of thing a lesser show would have made just a spectacular and convenient coincidence.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
wprager

His wife *and* kid were killed, so you could say he's targeting the wife and kid. Mind you, she's pregnant, so a twofer?

On the other hand, it wasn't Marco who killed them, and he already killed the driver.

Bottom line, what now? We've got 4 episodes left?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
sharkster

I, too, am rather confused about the deep-voiced (creepy!) guy.

Well stated, Astrohip, and LMAO at the reference to Ray's 'down payment'.

This has really come around nicely, as of this episode. I'm also liking to see Don Swayze in his role. Haven't seen him in anything for a long time. I was always intrigued with him. I always thought he looked exactly like his brother, Patrick, only FUGLY.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
jebbbz

Linder, the deep-voiced guy, appears to be a good guy. The woman he took from Mexico in his trunk was running away from Calaca, the cartel enforcer Linder later beat to death with a steam iron. In episode 1, when he shows up in Mexico, she asks if he is "the one," presumably the one to take her to safety. He, in episode 4, took her out to some sort of ranch/hideout for safety. Apparently, this is his mission as he currently seems to be trying to get Fausto's girlfriend to let him rescue her (mixed results, so far).
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
wprager

I must admit, I'm not sure I like this show any more. They made Marco a sleaze, his wife is vindictive and really not of a very high opinion of herself (I mean, really, her and "Radzinski"? In what universe?) Some extremely graphic scenes the last couple episodes (violence *and* sex). I feel a bit sorry for Sonya, but I'm struggling for any characters that I actually like and can root for -- I guess "Shaggy" started to redeem himself, but he is sober for, what, 2 days? (Peter Russo on House of Cards was sober for longer than that so I'm a little leery for getting attached to characters that appear to be back on the straight and narrow.) And I keep expecting Ray-Ray to so "Pennny caaaan!"

And other than the characters, the story is just a tad too convoluted. One of the reviews for this episode called the killer's 6-year plan Rube Goldberg-esque, and I agree. Must have sounded really great on paper but there are just a few questions, like:
- Marco knew the guy well, so that means he's never been to Alma's work? They don't have office parties where you bring your spouse? No pictures from company events?
- The killer's plan heavily involved a bat-****-crazy for a fall guy, going back as far as 5 years (the recording makes use of the terminology used in the guy's writings); but people like that generally don't last very long -- they either get killed or are caught by the authorities, and he had this planned going back 5-6 years?
- He must have lived around El Paso since his wife could have an affair with Marco -- and he's been walking around, working, carrying out all those complicated plans of his without fear of being noticed? Did he even *try* a simple disguise?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #17
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
Linder, the deep-voiced guy, appears to be a good guy. The woman he took from Mexico in his trunk was running away from Calaca, the cartel enforcer Linder later beat to death with a steam iron. In episode 1, when he shows up in Mexico, she asks if he is "the one," presumably the one to take her to safety. He, in episode 4, took her out to some sort of ranch/hideout for safety. Apparently, this is his mission as he currently seems to be trying to get Fausto's girlfriend to let him rescue her (mixed results, so far).
Yes, I remember him killing the bad guy with the iron. But what happened to the woman in the trunk? I thought he killed her and then burned her in the barrel. Or was it just her clothes and if so what happened to her?

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #18
wprager

Linder rescues prostitutes from Juarez by smuggling them across the border. He may be strange, but he's a "good guy".
Old 09-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
He dropped her off at that ranch where she would be safe.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
VegasVic
Craps Player

I like this show. Confusing sometimes yes. Five to go.