There's tax on the service ??
there is...and it sucks...
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #32
bdspilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil View Post
Which state, I'm in OK and at checkout it showed no tax but I didn't complete the transaction.
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #33
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdspilot View Post
Which state, I'm in OK and at checkout it showed no tax but I didn't complete the transaction.
i'm in NY
Old 08-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #34
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Unless something has changed, purchased services are not taxed (unless there are specific laws to tax them, such as on cable and phone).

Hmm, maybe it IS changing: http://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/sb...ndustries.aspx
Old 08-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #35
atmuscarella

Quote:
i'm in NY
Yes us lucky NYers have been paying sales tax on TiVo service since 2006
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #36
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I keep an old Series 2 Humax that I paid full lifetime on in 2005 ($299 at that time) and run it up before activating any new TiVo so I will get MSD pricing, if I sold that Series 2 the rest of my TiVos would not be qualify for MSD as you must have one TiVo that you paid full Lifetime on in your account.
Before this thread, I have never heard of such a requirement. If this is true, it really sucks.

Doesn't even make sense. If you have EVER paid full price on lifetime, then there should be a record of that and you should be eligible for discounts from that point forward. Even if you sell the original box on which you paid full price lifetime, that doesn't take away that you paid full price once.

I can't confirm or deny it, since I still have an ancient "Philips 20 Hour PTV Recorder" with lifetime showing on my account. But I sold or threw that box away many years ago. I can't remember exactly what happened. I think it went bad and was not worth repairing.

Only thing I can find on their site says "for a Product Lifetime subscription to qualify you for the multi-service discount, the TiVo DVR to which it is attached must have connected to the TiVo service within the last 180 days." It doesn't say it has to be the one you paid full price on the LifeTime service.

Last edited by crxssi : 08-24-2013 at 06:16 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #37
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Yes us lucky NYers have been paying sales tax on TiVo service since 2006
damn...if i has known this wasn't every where i would have had my dad in TX buy it then send him the money...
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #38
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinw View Post
It does not work if you are buying a TiVo and the service plan at the same time. I'm thinking and hoping it works when you activate the TiVo that you bought somewhere else such as Weaknees.
That's how it worked when I bought my P4 from Yogi Comp. It did not work when trying to buy a DVR+Service on Tivo.com
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #39
justinw

I better email Weaknees and get my TSN and activate it before someone turns that code off. I didn't realize that they would send you the TSN in advance.

Last edited by justinw : 08-24-2013 at 07:15 PM.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #40
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
I better email Weaknees and get my TSN and activate it before someone turns that code off. I didn't realize that they would send you the TSN in advance.
i didn't either but thought it'd be worth a try...just replied to the invoice email and asked...
Old 08-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #41
justinw

Quote:
i didn't either but thought it'd be worth a try...just replied to the invoice email and asked...
Thank you! I did the same thing and was able to get Lifetime for $399. I went ahead and bought the extended warranty which is something I've never done, but I figure that I'm spending so much on this Roamio Pro that I misewell do it.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #42
bdspilot

Quote:
Thank you! I did the same thing and was able to get Lifetime for $399. I went ahead and bought the extended warranty which is something I've never done, but I figure that I'm spending so much on this Roamio Pro that I misewell do it.
When did you order your Tivo?
bdspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #43
justinw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdspilot View Post
When did you order your Tivo?
The 20th. Shipped the next day will be here on Wednesday
Old 08-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #44
lessd

Quote:
damn...if i has known this wasn't every where i would have had my dad in TX buy it then send him the money...
It is a funny tax we have in CT as we have a 6.35% tax but only 1% tax on TiVo service, 6.35% on any hardware we purchase from TiVo directly. I have lived in this state for the last 30 years and never heard of this special 1% tax, nor have I ever paid it except to TiVo. I could be somewhere in my cable bill/or cell phone bill I guess.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #45
jmill

Here is the tax table for TiVo and/or TiVo Service:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #46
ciucca

I could not get the MSD since I was told the 2 premieres I purchased were at a discount and I do not have a full price unit on my account, since I sold it. This is ridiculous money grab. Does anyone have the same issue? Was there a way around it.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #47
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmill View Post
Here is the tax table for TiVo and/or TiVo Service:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31
so then next time i'll go through my grandparents in AZ instead...good to know...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
I could not get the MSD since I was told the 2 premieres I purchased were at a discount and I do not have a full price unit on my account, since I sold it. This is ridiculous money grab. Does anyone have the same issue? Was there a way around it.
purchase the box else where and then use PLSR for the service
Old 08-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #49
ciucca

Quote:
I hope that code still works, when I get the box. I'm sure TIVO monitors this board and will probably disable it soon. Thanks for the help. I hope the box arrives soon, I bought it from weaknees.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #50
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
I hope that code still works, when I get the box. I'm sure TIVO monitors this board and will probably disable it soon. Thanks for the help. I hope the box arrives soon, I bought it from weaknees.
email them now and get your TSN...i did that and it worked and someone else in this thread did it after they saw i did...you can purchase the service today...
Old 08-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #51
ciucca

Quote:
email them now and get your TSN...i did that and it worked and someone else in this thread did it after they saw i did...you can purchase the service today...
Thanks I am planning to do that. Weaknees said my Roamio Pro is not in stock until Monday or Tuesday, and they will send the TSN with the shipping notice. I have my fingers crossed the code will still work.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #52
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Hasn't that code been around for forever? I'm surprised it still works. I only wish it would give an additional $100 off MSD pricing. I remember trying it when I got my launch Elite.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #53
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Hasn't that code been around for forever? I'm surprised it still works. I only wish it would give an additional $100 off MSD pricing. I remember trying it when I got my launch Elite.
Yes it has, all the way back to the days before the Premiere was even on the radar, and probably even longer than that.

I think it will stick around. I have my reasons/suspicions as to why I believe so, but I'll keep them to myself.

I doubt they'd get rid of the code validity alone. If they made a move, it would probably involve removing the place you can enter a promo code, and only put it back for the duration of special promotions, like holiday sales.

"The TiVo works in mysterious ways"

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-25-2013 at 07:43 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #54
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yeah it has, but the restrictions have changed iirc. I do agree and wish it worked on MSD. I would probably sell my two XLs and buy a second Roamio either base or Plus.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #55
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Yeah it has, but the restrictions have changed iirc. I do agree and wish it worked on MSD. I would probably sell my two XLs and buy a second Roamio either base or Plus.
IIRC, it was always just a way to get the same discount as MSD, without having an eligible device/subscription, but you could never stack the two.

However, I do recall that you used to be able to use it when buying directly from TiVo. Now, I see many reports that you can only use it when you buy elsewhere and go to TiVo for your lifetime service purchase.

I think when TiVo quit selling directly, without requiring a subscription to purchase a TiVo, that's when things changed.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
innocentfreak

That's what I was referring to. It seems to only work if you buy the subscription and not the box from TiVo.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #57
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
That's what I was referring to. It seems to only work if you buy the subscription and not the box from TiVo.
It's a dumb strategy, IMHO, unless they would rather have you buy retail elsewhere, rather than directly through them.

I guess we should just be thankful that you CAN buy elsewhere, without having to buy a subscription at the same time...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #58
ciucca

PLSR!!! I got my $100 off the lifetime even though I no longer have an eligible box for MSD.

Why didn't the CSR tell me about it. He basically said FU!

Look at me I'm happy about dropping around a grand on my new roamio pro. I'm thinking this is the last one I should ever need to buy, if the reviews are correct.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #59
Bwatford141

I also was not eligible the $100 discount. I ended up purchasing my Roamio plus at BB and used PLSR to get lifetime for $399.
Bwatford141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #60
jmpage2

Quote:
PLSR!!! I got my $100 off the lifetime even though I no longer have an eligible box for MSD.

Why didn't the CSR tell me about it. He basically said FU!

Look at me I'm happy about dropping around a grand on my new roamio pro. I'm thinking this is the last one I should ever need to buy, if the reviews are correct.
Ever? Ha.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote