TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 AM   #331
HarperVision

(Moved to coincide with OP moving post to its own thread)

Last edited by HarperVision : 08-29-2013 at 05:26 AM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #332
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
A computer is much different as the drive could be writing when the power goes off and the data file may get trashed, no so with a TiVo,
Sorry, but that is just not correct. There is just as much chance, probably MORE that the TiVo will be writing to disk when the power fails. (Doesn't mean it *will* damage the file system, however).

Quote:
I turn my TiVo off at 4am each day and back on at 5pm (by a timer) never had any problem, I don't record anything in the off period. Been doing this for years so I would assume I would have found some problem in all this time if turning a TiVo off could cause a problem.
Linux filesystems are well built, but not infallible. Cutting equipment on and off like that with hard drives is a sure way to promote premature drive and component failure through thermal cycling. And it drastically increases the probability of filesystem damage (both physically and logically)

Quote:
Some people like a belt and suspenders, no problem doing things that way, if it makes you feel better, that in itself is a good reason to do what your doing.
In my case it has nothing to do with feelings. I am basing my assertions as an IT professional with 27 years experience in computers and electronics, not on rumors and wives tales.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #333
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
In my case it has nothing to do with feelings. I am basing my assertions as an IT professional with 27 years experience in computers and electronics, not on rumors and wives tales.
Sorry, that's still anecdotal evidence in my book (and I've been in the field for 35 years). Google's drive failure paper (link to paper), which did not address this particular problem, destroyed all my belief in such assertions (everybody knows that temperature is correlated with drive failures!)
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #334
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
A computer is much different as the drive could be writing when the power goes off
A TiVo is pretty much guaranteed to be writing when the power goes off (continuous Live TV buffering if nothing else).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #335
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
A TiVo is pretty much guaranteed to be writing when the power goes off (continuous Live TV buffering if nothing else).
The difference is that the buffer in a TiVo has no value after you cut the power from the TiVo, on a computer if you just spent an hour on a Word paper and the power goes off you may have a loss of some/ or all of your work. I have Word back up every 10 minutes but still..

Old 08-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #336
ncbill

That's what my Basic did before it stopped working.

Tried re-starting (& pulling the power) and it wouldn't do anything besides cycle between the welcome screen & no video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow View Post
I am getting " no signal" when wanting to watch live TV. ...All my channels has been searched and found yet when I click on a channel it sayd " searching no signal" V 52 or V5..

Then I would go back to that channel it it is working...then I search another channel same thing searching no signal..I go back to the other channel same thing no signal V 52 or V 53..then all channels have no signal..

At first I thought it was my area I live in but never anything like this.. I unhooked from my TiVo roamio and just used my TV..did not have that problem.

Has anyone ever have this problem with OTA? if so how do I fix it? is there an update for this or should i call customer service and return it for a new one..it does have a problem keeping a signal with all those tuners

ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #337
Big Boy Laroux

I don't have a whole lot of space in the cabinet where my tivo Resides. Any UPS suggestions with a smaller form factor that would still do the job?
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #338
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I don't have a whole lot of space in the cabinet where my tivo Resides. Any UPS suggestions with a smaller form factor that would still do the job?
Maybe this? at 3.46 inches by 6.30 inches by 11.34 inches. I know it's not exactly what your looking for size wise but the battery is really what takes up most of the space at 4.15 inches by 5.95 inches by 2.55 inches. Here is the product family http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=29
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #339
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Sorry, that's still anecdotal evidence in my book (and I've been in the field for 35 years). Google's drive failure paper (link to paper), which did not address this particular problem, destroyed all my belief in such assertions (everybody knows that temperature is correlated with drive failures!)
The paper clearly indicates that power cycling *DOES* increase drive failure rate (although it is small in their particular study). And I wasn't just talking about drive failures, but ALL components in the machines.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #340
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The battery going bad should not make the UPS reboot. That would be something wrong with the circuitry. I've run a bunch of UPSs with bad batteries and the only time there was an issue was when the power went out. The UPs would only supply power for a short time and then shut off. The only time I've had a UPS reboot is from the internal components going bad.
I had a combination of a bad battery and a touchy UPS reboot my equipment. (Old APC Back-UPS 500).

Basically the battery was so shot it has no runtime, so if the UPS ever tried to cut over to battery it was an instant power loss. Which only make the UPS worthless, not counter-productive, except it would attempt to go to battery for voltage dips or blips mild or short enough that the computers power supply would have been able to handle them. Except the UPS pulled all power for over a second, instead of the milliseconds that cause the lights to flicker.

Oops. (My fault for not checking the battery earlier and doing something about it)
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #341
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Maybe this? at 3.46 inches by 6.30 inches by 11.34 inches. I know it's not exactly what your looking for size wise but the battery is really what takes up most of the space at 4.15 inches by 5.95 inches by 2.55 inches. Here is the product family http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=29
Thanks, i'll check it out!
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #342
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's weird I have two big UPSes that I use for my entertainment center. 1500VA each. They were relatively expensive at about $200/ea, but they have lasted forever. We rarely have power outages, but we recently had one that lasted for like 4 hours. Both of those UPSes, despite being like 8+ years old, ran for hours. I have a few cheaper 300-500VA ones that I've only had for a couple of years and they're all dead to the point where they cut out within a few seconds after the power dies. Even the mid grade 1200VA APC I had for my computer only lasted a few years.

The other thing about the two big ones is they are different brands. One is an APC and the other is a Belkin. I guess when you get up into the bigger units they just produce a better quality product.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #343
scottvf

Can the Roamio be turned off with a single button click?
And before anyone says it needs to be on to record shows, what I mean is it stops sending a video signal through hdmi, and stops recording live on the hard drives.
I had a dish network dvr and it had a power button that would do this. It stopped using the hard drives (which meant they lasted longer and didn't head up) and would turn off video signal. It would still record all the shows.

I don't know why tivo doesn't do this on all their tivos.

I have a receiver and dvdo edge that will turn off automatically when there's no signal. But because tivo premiere always broadcasts a signal that function won't work. I would like to press 1 button that would stop the live recording on all tuners and turn off video signal. It seems a waist of power and wear and tear on the hard drive to be recording all tuners all the time.
scottvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #344
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is a standby button. However all it does is turn off the lights and the output. It does not stop recording.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #345
Devx

So just sitting down with my new Pro. The first thing I noticed after it finished booting is that it is incredibly fast. OMG, wow. Time will tell how much of an impact on speed there will be with all 6 tuners going and a relatively full HD. If past signs are an indicator it should retain most, if not all, of its speed.

The new remote is ok. Muscle memory took to the new select button position instantly. Probably because of the Glo remote on the Elite. Will take longer to get used to the new guide button placement. I read a few posts about range issues or intermittent flakiness but I haven't noticed anything. Tested 2 rooms over through about 4 walls (~30ft) and I could still control the TiVo.

Remote finder feature is interesting. Not very loud though, if the remote is truly lost it will be necessary to search each room to find it. I couldn't hear it until I was in the room it was in.

No opinion on the new background just yet. I don't dislike it however.

Holy crap, I still cannot get over the speed. Will probably purchase a Roamio basic to replace my other Tivo HD early next year after things shake out a bit.

As an aside, I know TiVo has to make money but a bit disappointed that the box cannot at least work in demo mode for a few days (15-30 days?) while the sub is pending. I didn't want to activate until I could find time to get the Cablecard out of the old TiVo HD and figure out my transfer situation. With so much disabled I feel forced to activate even if I don't have a Cablecard ready for it yet.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #346
innocentfreak

Did they change it? TiVo used to work up to 7 days without activation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #347
aaronwt
HD Addict

I used the online SP manager earlier. I was very surprised how quickly they showed up on my Roamio Pro. I got my SP list down to 102 SPs before transferring. At first I tried to transfer them all at once but that didn't work. So I did 20 to 25 at a time which worked fine.

I don't know exactly how long they took to show up. But around 25 minutes later I looked at the box and all my SPs were there and I already had dozens of shows scheduled to record for the next week. Although it had only picked up a portion of the shows to be recorded so far. But it was quick and certainly a million times better than having to manually set up the SPs again. Like when the Premiere was launched.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #348
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Did they change it? TiVo used to work up to 7 days without activation.
My Roamio Pro came up with a message about needing to be activated. I couldn't do much of anything until it was activated. Except watch live TV.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #349
innocentfreak

Oh ok. I know back when I activated my Elite it took almost a week to show activation, but had a message of how many days of free service remaining.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #350
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I used the online SP manager earlier.
I only have 27 (my TiVo Premiere is new) but kmttg moved them in a few seconds.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #351
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Oh ok. I know back when I activated my Elite it took almost a week to show activation, but had a message of how many days of free service remaining.
I didn't wait around. Maybe that would have changed a little later but I wanted to mess around with everything right away. I was going to get lifetime service on it anyway. So if there were any issues I figured had 30 days to get a refund on lifetime if I needed to(or need to) return the Roamio Pro back to BestBuy.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #352
Devx

I plan to put lifetime on it like my other Tivo's. I thought I could save myself some hassle on returns if the box suffered sudden death.

After purchasing the Elite, I distinctly remember a grace period before requiring activation. Currently, many options on the Roamio interface are unavailable or error out.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #353
scottvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There is a standby button. However all it does is turn off the lights and the output. It does not stop recording.
Is this button on the remote? I don't see any standby button on it. I don't want to get up to turn it off. And I want to program my universal remote to put it in standby.

Last edited by scottvf : 08-30-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #354
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post
Is this button on the remote?
No, he's referring to the touch-sensitive power button on the front of the Roamio that places the unit in standby mode.

The typical option for standby still exists on the Settings menu and I'd assume the standby remote code still works as well. The standby remote code can be programmed if you have a harmony universal remote. Others may have it but not sure.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)

Last edited by Devx : 08-30-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: edited for clarity after OP edit
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #355
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just opened up a web browser to view the list of recordings from my Roamio Pro on my network. I started downloading a recording in the MPEG-TS format. Download speeds are fluctuating between 170Mb/s and 195Mb/s to my PC from the Roamio Pro. Much faster than the Elites or Premieres can download from.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #356
cyberbeach
Mere member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeach View Post
I have observed that you can save yourself a lot of repeated calls related to cable card pairing by setting up the Tivo, skipping the cable card step, getting the online setup done, then letting the box sit for 24 hours. Once it shows as authorized by Tivo, then go back and put in the cable card.

Doing it this way, usually the only call I need to make is once or twice to get HBO working.
Should mention: If you bought the Tivo from Tivo, it will already be activated, and you don't have to wait 24 hours for it to show as activated. However, it still works best if you skip the cable card setup and let it update and get the guide info etc. before going back and doing the cable card setup.

WIRED .... 2013 RoPro, Minis (FIOS)
RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
DESIRED . 2020 Tivo 32K 96fps 3D Holodecks (Verizon-WarnerCast)
cyberbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:04 AM   #357
scottvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
No, he's referring to the touch-sensitive power button on the front of the Roamio that places the unit in standby mode.

The typical option for standby still exists on the Settings menu and I'd assume the standby remote code still works as well. The standby remote code can be programmed if you have a harmony universal remote. Others may have it but not sure.
What is the standby remote code? I do have a harmony remote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #358
tivoknucklehead

my only setup issue is it could not find any wireless networks even though mine is working fine. I have it on the bottom shelf of my equipment, is that a possible reason? I had to use my old wireless Ethernet adapter to get online

edit: I tried again the next day and it found my network after a 5 second delay and all is well

Last edited by tivoknucklehead : 08-31-2013 at 05:35 AM.
tivoknucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:03 AM   #359
scottvf

I don't know why they have to make it so difficult to put it in standby.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #360
Beryl

2 of my 3 UPS towers arrived. The one I attempted to install with the Roamio is going back. Everything worked except for the Ethernet ports. Not a biggie but I hate paying $100+ for something with a failing component. I like that it supported Ethernet, coax and power inputs. The other that I added to my office (with desktop/server) is fine. That one was a higher priority anyway.

Interesting, after switching to and from the UPS, the Roamio Basic completely "gave up the ghost" and wouldn't start. Tried the unplug and plug routine that worked after my power outage and although the lights came on, nothing showed up on the TV. Verified the HDMI port on the TV wasn't blown through all of the power shenanigans. Popped in the old HDLX and it worked fine. 20 minutes after calling Comcast for the M-card pairing, all is well again as I await my Plus to arrive. Only one week after using a Roamio, I forgot how SLOW the processor is in the HDLX but it is better than no TiVo at all.

The Basic was a lemon and now I'm thinking about NOT selling one of my S3 TiVos and retaining one as a backup.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote