TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #61
JWhites

I would love to find out if the new slide remote will include the Remote Finder feature and if the Roamio remote and new Slide remote will have some sort of battery status information somewhere either on screen or in the System Info menu like the original slide remote had when used with Bluetooth. Does anyone know?

JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #62
krkaufman

Controlling Two TiVos with One Remote... Use IR & RF as "switch"

Regarding these posts longing for the days of the 1-2 hardware switch on the TiVo remote, allowing control of distinct TiVos in a room/location...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I wish these remotes still had the 1-2 switch like the old days. We still have 2 TiVos* in the same room so there is no way I could ever use a single TiVo remote for my setup, even if I could learn the Input button from my receiver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The 1-2 switch would also allow people to use two Basic units, one configured for cable and the other for OTA, in the same room without needing a separate remote for each one. Not sure how likely that scenario is, but I could see it happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
I really miss the hardware switch. I still ave a number of those remotes, but now that I've started to use the ABCD buttons, I don't really use them except for changing settings and features.
I'm rolling-out a Roamio/Mini solution in a house peppered with OLD S2 DirecTiVos (HDVR2), and, needing to keep the old units around for a time, I was faced with preventing IR/remote control overlap. I was half-way through the process of pulling my old S2 peanut-style remotes off the shelf and programming them with a non-global IR remote address when it hit me...

Wouldn't the following process allow me to effectively use the TiVo-C/TiVo-D IR/RF mode switcheroo to control two TiVos with a single remote, with one unit being controlled via RF and the other via IR?
  1. On TiVo #1 : Program a non-0 IR remote address (e.g. "M") into my RF-capable Roamio/Mini
  2. On TiVo #2 : Program a different non-0 IR remote address (e.g. "N") into my second TiVo
  3. Ensure the dual-mode, RF-capable remote is set to the IR remote address (i.e. "N") for the IR-controlled TiVo, TiVo #2
So, now, when the remote is in RF-mode, it controls TiVo #1; and when the remote is switched to IR mode, it controls TiVo #2.

This has worked OK, so far, under limited testing. That said, the following thread causes me some concern for the long-term stability of the solution: Roamio Remote keeps switching from RF to IR

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #63
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
So, now, when the remote is in RF-mode, it controls TiVo #1; and when the remote is switched to IR mode, it controls TiVo #2.
Another observation from testing... If the RF target device (Roamio/Mini) is unavailable, whether powered-off or rebooting, the remote appears to recognize this and automatically switches over to IR signaling -- and then automatically reverts to RF once communication is reestablished. (edit: And, of course, those IR signals will be targeting the *other* non-RF TiVo, TiVo #2 in the original example, above.)

Something my users will need to be aware of, but it doesn't seem sufficient to ditch the OneRemote workaround.

Last edited by krkaufman; 02-28-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #64
tootal2

I keep pressing the guide button instead of the select button. Im use to the old remote

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #65
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I keep pressing the guide button instead of the select button. Im use to the old remote
Heh, that was a concern I had as I started pulling the old remotes back into the mix, before going the OneRemote route. Among all the other differences, the Select/Guide button conflict definitely had me worried the most.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #66
philt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Regarding these posts longing for the days of the 1-2 hardware switch on the TiVo remote, allowing control of distinct TiVos in a room/location...

I'm rolling-out a Roamio/Mini solution in a house peppered with OLD S2 DirecTiVos (HDVR2), and, needing to keep the old units around for a time, I was faced with preventing IR/remote control overlap. I was half-way through the process of pulling my old S2 peanut-style remotes off the shelf and programming them with a non-global IR remote address when it hit me...

Wouldn't the following process allow me to effectively use the TiVo-C/TiVo-D IR/RF mode switcheroo to control two TiVos with a single remote, with one unit being controlled via RF and the other via IR?
  1. On TiVo #1 : Program a non-0 IR remote address (e.g. "M") into my RF-capable Roamio/Mini
  2. On TiVo #2 : Program a different non-0 IR remote address (e.g. "N") into my second TiVo
  3. Ensure the dual-mode, RF-capable remote is set to the IR remote address (i.e. "N") for the IR-controlled TiVo, TiVo #2

This has worked OK, so far, under limited testing. That said, the following thread causes me some concern for the long-term stability of the solution: Roamio Remote keeps switching from RF to IR
I have a mini in the same room as my roamio so that P&P works on my tv. When I had 2 tivos, I always used the old remote to switch it between the 2 tivos to change channels on either one. Now I use the roamio remote but pull out an old remote to control the mini. I would much rather have a 1-2 switch.

philt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #67
chrispitude

To answer OP - left the factory Roamio remote in the box, stuck with the Glo remote I bought for my Premiere. I read many complaints about falling back from RF to IR and decided not to bother with it.

chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #68
mattack

I have gotten used to the smaller Roamio remote.. but for some reason, it seems *even more* prone to problems I seem to have with a lot of remotes, but in a very weird way..

It works for the Tivo functions for a very long time, but often *won't* work for the TV functions, unless I pull off the battery cover and sometimes even have to push on the battery cover.

Yes, it's like there's not a good connection being made.. but somehow the regular Tivo functions work fine.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #69
Mikeguy

And when invoking the regular television functions, you're pointing the remote at the television, right? I have to remind myself of that, at times, using the RF signal for the TiVo box but the television still using the IR.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #70
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I have gotten used to the smaller Roamio remote.. but for some reason, it seems *even more* prone to problems I seem to have with a lot of remotes, but in a very weird way..

It works for the Tivo functions for a very long time, but often *won't* work for the TV functions, unless I pull off the battery cover and sometimes even have to push on the battery cover.

Yes, it's like there's not a good connection being made.. but somehow the regular Tivo functions work fine.
When the battery gets low, the IR transmitter used to send signals to the TV gets weak long before the RF transmitter used to talk to the TiVo dies.