TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
tivogurl

Why isn't activation instant?

Purchased PLS for my Roamio, My Account says "We're still processing your activation".
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
rifleman69

Because the credit card needs to be authorized?
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
RockinRay

I have noticed it takes about 24 hours for that message to go away...

Ray
All Lifetime
RockinRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

You get like a 15 day grace period, so it shouldn't matter in terms of operation. But it does seem strange how slowly things propagate through TiVo's system. In this day and age it's surprising when anything like this isn't instant.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post
I have noticed it takes about 24 hours for that message to go away...
Does that mean I can't activate my Roamio until tomorrow?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Because the credit card needs to be authorized?
Which took what, 5 seconds?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

No you can set it up right now. Like I said you get a grace period so it'll work right now whether the PLS has finished processing or not.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Purchased PLS for my Roamio, My Account says "We're still processing your activation".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
You get like a 15 day grace period, so it shouldn't matter in terms of operation. But it does seem strange how slowly things propagate through TiVo's system. In this day and age it's surprising when anything like this isn't instant.
I believe they only give you 7 days of free service with a new Tivo now, but that free service is limited to scheduling and recording programs. Anything that requires a MAK such as transferring videos or streaming videos will not be possible until the activation is completed on Tivo's end so it kind of does matter to some degree when you want to move recordings to the new box.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
DaveDFW

Having just run through guided setup on my Plus last night, I can say that there was a longish period after the main software update where no features worked--no 30-minute buffers, only one tuner available, no pause capability, no guide, etc.

After some time had passed, the box was working as you'd expect during the initial trial period--everything except the functions that require a MAK.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Which took what, 5 seconds?
There is more to the transaction than that. Just because the card has been authorized doesn't mean that is when it is charged. Part of my job is taking credit card payments here at work. The charges don't go through until after business hours each day. That allows for a grace period in case any changes or Voiding needs to take place before the charge actually hits the card.

Each morning we get a report from the bank with all of the transactions from the previous day. Then the payment is entered to each accountand only in the afternoon will the payment be reflected on your account once all of the days cash has been posted and uploaded into the system. I'm not saying Tivo does the same thing, but this has been my experience.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
There is more to the transaction than that. Just because the card has been authorized doesn't mean that is when it is charged. Part of my job is taking credit card payments here at work. The charges don't go through until after business hours each day. That allows for a grace period in case any changes or Voiding needs to take place before the charge actually hits the card.

Each morning we get a report from the bank with all of the transactions from the previous day. Then the payment is entered to each accountand only in the afternoon will the payment be reflected on your account once all of the days cash has been posted and uploaded into the system. I'm not saying Tivo does the same thing, but this has been my experience.

What Whiskey Tango said.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote