Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #271
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb And Number2 View Post
SWAT team kicks in a door, Walt Jr. raises a crutch...
Bullets fly, the room is dripping with Aunt Jemima Butter Rich Syrup...
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #272
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Better one though he looks more like Jesse here.

I was searching pics and found a couple of him with longish hair. Interesting. I also watching a movie called Last House on the Left and he was a bad dude in that. Ironically he got his face beat up in that movie and looked more like Jesse then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #273
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I was searching pics and found a couple of him with longish hair. Interesting. I also watching a movie called Last House on the Left and he was a bad dude in that. Ironically he got his face beat up in that movie and looked more like Jesse then.
I had just seen him as the smarmy Mormon guy in Big Love when I watched him in the Breaking Bad pilot, and my first reaction was "This guy? C'mon." But he won me over pretty quickly. The different roles just proves what a great actor he is.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 AM   #274
jkeegan

My rewatch is all Slaughterhouse Five style - I'm watching a few scenes here and there out of order.

Just saw the desert scene again.

1) Didn't notice Saul'a license plate before.. LWYRUP.

2) While I agree with Jessee that Walt was obviously acting in Walt's best interest at the beginning of that conversation, I gotta disagree with whoever said that they thought a look of Walt's indicated that he was considering snapping Jesse's neck. Absolutely no way. Rewatch the scene.

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #275
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
....1) Didn't notice Saul'a license plate before.. LWYRUP.
Yeah, and I think we've seen that before if I'm not mistaken...

Quote:
....2) While I agree with Jessee that Walt was obviously acting in Walt's best interest at the beginning of that conversation, I gotta disagree with whoever said that they thought a look of Walt's indicated that he was considering snapping Jesse's neck. Absolutely no way. Rewatch the scene...
And I agree with this...when the hug first began, I wondered, but as it continued to unfold, it was VERY apparent that was NOT the case.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #276
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
And I agree with this...when the hug first began, I wondered, but as it continued to unfold, it was VERY apparent that was NOT the case.
Yes. On the other hand, there's not much doubt in my mind that there was not an ounce of sincerity on Walt's part...he was straight-out trying to manipulate Jesse. It wasn't sinister, it was just awkward...and as I suggested earlier, Walt just ain't the hugging type. He isn't as good at it as he would have needed to be to really sell it.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #277
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Agreed. No malice, all manipulation.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #278
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yes. On the other hand, there's not much doubt in my mind that there was not an ounce of sincerity on Walt's part...he was straight-out trying to manipulate Jesse. It wasn't sinister, it was just awkward...and as I suggested earlier, Walt just ain't the hugging type. He isn't as good at it as he would have needed to be to really sell it.
It really is interesting how some people can get entirely opposite opinions of what's going on than others, watching the same scenes.

Jesse is like a son to Walt. Though that's part of the problem... son vs. partner. Walt's never been good at showing his emotions to anyone.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #279
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I agree. Jesse is family to him. He wouldn't anymore kill him than he's willing to do Hank. That isn't saying he's not willing to manipulate and ruin their lives to keep himself afloat.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #280
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Interesting discussion about that scene on this week's podcast. Aaron Paul said they filmed it several different ways: one with Jesse fighting to get away from Walt the whole time, one with Jesse not fighting but clearly realizing that Walt is manipulating him, one where Jesse just breaks down and sobs, etc. Aaron actually didn't even know which one they ultimately used in the final cut until he was doing the podcast, which is hosted by the show's editor.

So that tells me that in the script, there wasn't a clear description of what the emotions were supposed to be for that scene, and they just decided to try several different ways and see what worked the best.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #281
jkeegan

I liked their call.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #282
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Jesse is like a son to Walt.
And look at how he treated his son in this episode.

I do agree that Walt truly cares for Jesse, just like he meant everything he said to Walt Jr. But his interactions with them were motivated more by convenience than concern.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #283
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I liked their call.
I didn't. I think it would have been much more powerful had Jesse hugged him back. Jesse falling for it one last time.

His anger at realizing the ricin ruse would have been that much more powerful (even if the ruse happened long before they hugged). But what we feel now for Jesse would have been much more heartbreaking.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #284
getreal
postcrastinator

While we anxiously await the next episode, let's reflect back on the relationship between "Seinfeld" and "Breaking Bad" ...

From Seinfeld to Breaking Bad
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #285
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I agree. Jesse is family to him. He wouldn't anymore kill him than he's willing to do Hank. That isn't saying he's not willing to manipulate and ruin their lives to keep himself afloat.
I disagree. I think Walt is willing and able to kill both Hank and Jesse. Walt is overwhelmingly driven by his sense of self preservation. He will do anything it takes to stay on top and stay alive. Mass murder. Poisoning a child. Lying to everyone about everything.

He is not at the point where he will kill family but only because he thinks he can control Jesse and that he is smarter than Hank. He still feels like he's in control and that he can outwit his opponent. I have no doubt if Jesse had not been interested in the relocation package, then he would have had a more permanent trip to Belize.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #286
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Which makes what happens next interesting (now that Jesse is staying, and not at all aligned with Walt)...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #287
danterner
Not it!

I don't think the comparison can be extended out too far without breaking, but I heard an interesting observation that Breaking Bad is analogous to Hamlet, with Jesse as Hamlet, Walt as King Claudius, and Skinny Pete and Badger as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and Skylar as Gertrude (who is poisoned and dies - wonder if Skylar has some ricin in her future). I could see Saul as Polonius, too. It kind of works, if you squint and ignore all the places where it doesn't.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #288
john4200

IIRC, Hamlet, Laertes, Ophelia, Polonius, Claudius, and Gertrude, and even Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, all die. Everyone dies!

BTW, you forgot to cast Laertes and Ophelia (and Horatio). Ophelia is obvious. I might have made Jesse Laertes and Hank Hamlet, but none of them fit very well. As you implied, the whole thing is rather forced. At least whoever you cast as Horatio gets to live.

Last edited by john4200 : 08-29-2013 at 08:01 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #289
jkeegan

To everyone mentioning that Walt poisoned a kid... ..while technically true (since he gave the kid Lillies of the Valley), Walt did at least opt for the version that wouldn't kill the kid. If he was pure evil at that point it would have been easier to use the ricin (he already had it available to him, and could have given it to the kid a few days later than he did with the Lillies of the Valley).

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 08-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #290
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
IIRC, Hamlet, Laertes, Ophelia, Polonius, Claudius, and Gertrude, and even Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, all die. Everyone dies!
Whoa ... major SPOILER ALERT there!!!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:24 AM   #291
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Whoa ... major SPOILER ALERT there!!!
I believe the statute of limitations has run out on that one.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:26 AM   #292
jasrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I believe the statute of limitations has run out on that one.
KRAMER: Anyway, it's been two years. I mean isn't there like statue of limitations on that?

JERRY: Statute.

KRAMER: What?

JERRY: Statute of limitations. It's not a statue.

KRAMER: No, it's statue.

JERRY: Fine, it's a sculpture of limitations.

KRAMER: Wait a minute, Just wait a minute...Elaine, Elaine! Now you're smart, is it statue or statute of limitations?

ELAINE: Statute.

KRAMER: Oh, I really think you're wrong
jasrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #293
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I had just seen him as the smarmy Mormon guy in Big Love when I watched him in the Breaking Bad pilot, and my first reaction was "This guy? C'mon." But he won me over pretty quickly. The different roles just proves what a great actor he is.
Jesse Pinkman...come on down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Y7...e_gdata_player

edit - how the heck do you add a YT embed link?

Last edited by markymark_ctown : 08-30-2013 at 11:06 AM.
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #294
JohnB1000

Like this
Like This

It's funny how Aaron Paul's personality is way more like Jesse than the guy he played in Big Love yet most of us who watched Big Love initially has an adjustment period to him in Breaking Bad.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #295
MonsterJoe
salty meat-poles

because he's a meth cook IRL
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #296
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I watched "Big Love" and "Breaking Bad" at the same time and for some time had no idea that Aaron Paul was in both shows-THAT is how great an actor he is!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #297
Hank
AC•FTW

Ok, while we're at it, looks like Heisenberg was once a coffee addict.

Carnation Coffeemate commercial (1988)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Heisenperk?

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #298
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Like this

It's funny how Aaron Paul's personality is way more like Jesse than the guy he played in Big Love yet most of us who watched Big Love initially has an adjustment period to him in Breaking Bad.
thanks! still don't know how to do it
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #299
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
thanks! still don't know how to do it
I know

It's really hard to explain because the forum parses links when you use them as example.

Take your link (I added a space to make it not parse)

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Y7MSgJkjc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The video link is what I highlighted, after "v=" up to and not including the &

Copy that, then click the YouTunbe link in the post header (same place for bolding or images).

Enter any name you want in the box that pops up

The paste your video id "Q4Y7MSgJkjc" in this case (no quotes) where the cursor is placed.

Again I added a space.

[Y T="TheVideo"]Q4Y7MSgJkjc[/yt]
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #300
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I didn't. I think it would have been much more powerful had Jesse hugged him back. Jesse falling for it one last time.

His anger at realizing the ricin ruse would have been that much more powerful (even if the ruse happened long before they hugged). But what we feel now for Jesse would have been much more heartbreaking.
I think it was important, though, that they demonstrated Jesse's increasing disillusionment with Walt. Some people complained that Jesse figured things out too quickly, but I think most of the pieces were already in place. What was holding him back was that he, much like Hank, had a vision of Walt that conflicted with the notion that he was capable not only of poisoning a kid, but blatantly lying about it.

Jesse had already put many of the pieces together when initially accusing Walt of poisoning Brock, but ultimately dismissed them as notions considered out of anger because "Walt could never do that". Why didn't he question the fact that Brock had coincidently gotten poisoned with a substance that evoked ricin-like symptoms at the same time as his ricin had gone missing? For the same reason that Hank didn't question Walt crashing the car right before they got to the laundry facility. It didn't fit their images of Walt.

Although Hank was primarily joking back when he asked Walt if the "W. W." in Gale's journal stood for "Walter White", I think subsciously his brain was making connections. But his picture of Walt was so different that his conscious mind dismissed any such notion as crazy. Similarly, Jesse's brain was likely subsciously making many connections as well, but his conscious mind dismissed them because he did not think Walt was capable of such things.

Ironically, Hank having such a dramatically different image of Walt probably made it easier to accept all the things Walt had done as Heisenberg once he had accepted Walt as Heisenberg. He likely felt that if Walt was capable of building a drug empire, he was capable of anything.

Jesse, on the other hand, already knew about Walt's drug activities. He had been with Walt from the beginning, and had seen him grow into Heisenberg. Walt was the wise teacher who cared for him in ways his biological father never had. Although objectively, the leap from Jesse's vision of Walt to accepting Walt's willingness to poison a kid was not as great as the leap Hank had to make, it was a much harder leap for Jesse.

Thus, I think it was important that they showed the mental statue of Walt that Jesse had built in his mind slowly being eroded away. By the time Walt asked him to leave town, it was practically, if not completely gone. Jesse knew he was being manipulated, but accepted it because starting over probably didn't seem to be that bad of an idea. And what was the alternative? To fight Walt? What good would that do him?

It was in this state that Jesse, while standing on the side of the road waiting to be picked up, realized that Huell had stolen his drugs. Pulling out his cigarettes then caused him to remember the last time he thought Huell had stolen something, and all of the connections he had made earlier came rushing back. But this time there was no "Walt could never do that" to prevent him from connecting all the dots. And now he had a reason to stay. Revenge.