TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #31
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I don't get why she would be dead. Does she not know how to swim? She's got enough body fat to be able to float relatively easily.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #32
mwhip
All better

I am confused why we went through a whole issue with water and the guy owning the well when there is a whole lake over by Big Jim's House!?!

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #33
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
I am confused why we went through a whole issue with water and the guy owning the well when there is a whole lake over by Big Jim's House!?!
Because the lake water was poisoned with methane (or something) released when the dome came down, which is what killed all the fish. At least until this episode, when that plot point apparently was forgotten.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #34
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I'm not watching this anymore...and given how few threads and posts in said threads, I'm not the only one who bailed on this piece of schtako...
Huh, there's one thread per show, were you expecting more ?

There's plenty of posts as well.

Consider something like The Killing or Fallen Skies rarely gets a weekly thread.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #35
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
TV rule of thumb: If you didn't see them die, they aren't dead.
For all we know she went in the water on purpose and hoped Jim would leave her to drown when in reality she was a championship swimmer and could survive in water with both hands tied behind her back.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #36
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
I don't get why she would be dead. Does she not know how to swim? She's got enough body fat to be able to float relatively easily.
So fat people can't drown?
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #37
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
For all we know she went in the water on purpose and hoped Jim would leave her to drown when in reality she was a championship swimmer and could survive in water with both hands tied behind her back.
It looked to me like she fell in on purpose. If this was an unknown actress I *might* believe that she was dead. I don't think they kill Mare Winningham that quickly.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #38
nickels
opinionated dope

Google searching supports the fact that fat is less dense than water, so fat people do float easier than skinny people. Time to research if watching bad TV makes me stupider.

Mare Winningham possible spoiler
Spoiler:
On IMDB she is only listed in one episode of Under the Dome. So she probably will not be back this season. Barbie actor is already listed on all of this season's episodes.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #39
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
TV rule of thumb: If you didn't see them die, they aren't dead.
This is what I assume as well. She'll come back to give a reason for Maxine to really be mad.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #40
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
So fat people can't drown?
Anyone can drown, but if you are more buoyant and know how to swim, having your arms tied shouldn't be a huge obstacle to surviving.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #41
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
Huh, there's one thread per show, were you expecting more ?

There's plenty of posts as well.
I'm amazed every week at how many posts there are for this show. Of course, none of them says anything nice....

Stephen King must have made twice the money by extending this--why else would he say their ending is better than his? But then he makes the story so good that you don't mind a less than awesome ending. They are doing the opposite--the ending may be great, but who will be left to watch it?

I thought it looked like she jumped off the boat too, and then suddenly remembered that her hands are tied and she can't swim. Par for the course.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #42
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post

This is what I assume as well. She'll come back to give a reason for Maxine to really be mad.
Mad Maxine, running a thunderdome fighting ring? I see what you did there.
| Twitter:
Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #43
DeDondeEs

The sheriff and deputies missed out on an opportunity to lock up the few access doors to the cement factory and have all of the undesirables in the town locked up in one place.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #44
warrenn

Quote:
It would be difficult to swim with her hands tied. An experienced swimmer in a controlled setting could probably swim to shore. A normal person in a crisis situation would probably panic, and that would lead to drowning.

Experienced triathletes have drowned during the swim portion of the race. It wasn't because they were knocked out or anything. They got a gulp of water or something and went into panic mode. Most people cannot pull themselves out of a panic state. If you panic in the water, you'll probably end up dead.

Drowning for real is nothing like on TV. People don't yell and flail around. Instead, they slowly bob up and down pawing at the water. It's an instinctive reaction. See this video around the 0:45 mark:

Drowning signs aren't like the movies
You need to upgrade your Flash Player
. It seems like that guy should be able to swim to shore, but he's on autopilot. If someone doesn't rescue him, he will drown.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #45
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

You realize you're trying to use your knowledge of reality to explain something that happened on Under the Dome?
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #46
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

Why does Angie swing her arms so wildly whenever she walks or runs? Annoying.

Glad Big Jim killed someone. Need more of that.

Why is hot chick here now? Boring.

I now hate doe-eyed deputy's raspy voice.

Stop swinging your arms so much when you walk, Angie.

Get better, show.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #47
midas
I heard that

I don't know why you people keep talking smack about this show. I think it's the funniest show on TV.

Really, Junior staring into the camera and saying, "But what does it mean?" Come on, it doesn't get any funnier than that.

Unless it's not supposed to be a comedy. In that case, never mind.
midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #48
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
I don't know why you people keep talking smack about this show. I think it's the funniest show on TV.

Really, Junior staring into the camera and saying, "But what does it mean?" Come on, it doesn't get any funnier than that.

Unless it's not supposed to be a comedy. In that case, never mind.
Of course it is a comedy.
| Twitter:
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #49
BradJW

I think I'm a decent swimmer. I know I can stay afloat a pretty long time in the water. But without the use of my arms, far from shore, with currents? I wouldn't like my odds.

I think it's a given she's dead. I can't believe we're even discussing any alternate possibilities.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #50
BradJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
Why does Angie swing her arms so wildly whenever she walks or runs? Annoying.

Glad Big Jim killed someone. Need more of that.

Why is hot chick here now? Boring.

I now hate doe-eyed deputy's raspy voice.

Stop swinging your arms so much when you walk, Angie.

Get better, show.
Too late to get better.

I'm not sure why everyone else is watching, but i'm watching because for my kids, this is appointment TV, and there's so little TV we watch together regularly. For that reason, I'm in it until the bitter end.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I'm amazed every week at how many posts there are for this show. Of course, none of them says anything nice....

Stephen King must have made twice the money by extending this--why else would he say their ending is better than his? But then he makes the story so good that you don't mind a less than awesome ending. They are doing the opposite--the ending may be great, but who will be left to watch it?
Aren't the ratings for this show still pretty good? I don't recall reading about a big drop in the ratings. I think we here at TCF are a lot more critical of TV shows than the average viewer. (How else would you explain the success of Two and a Half Men and 52 versions of CSI?) I definitely see how this show could be fun mindless entertainment, even for as dumb as it is. If you over analyze the show, it seems THAT much dumber.

It doesn't say much for the viewing public when stuff like this get good ratings and smartly written TV like Community barely hangs on.

Still, here we are ALL still watching. In reality, we should all stop watching and help prevent stuff like this ever getting on the air again. But it's a train wreck and it gives us all something to talk about. I doubt this show would last during the regular TV season when there's a lot better on.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #52
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
It looked to me like she fell in on purpose. If this was an unknown actress I *might* believe that she was dead. I don't think they kill Mare Winningham that quickly.
I don't think she's that well known anymore. I recognized her right away, and said, "Hey, that's Mare Winningham." And my wife said, "Who?"
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #53
nickels
opinionated dope

"I know you killed my husband, but he wanted you to do it because he loved me. In our future no more lies."

Do the writers even read their garbage before filming it? That scene between Julia and Barbie was as far fetched as they come. I don't care if Barbie is Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and any other man hunk all rolled into one. Julia's reaction was about as far from reality as one can get.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #54
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
"I know you killed my husband, but he wanted you to do it because he loved me. In our future no more lies."

Do the writers even read their garbage before filming it? That scene between Julia and Barbie was as far fetched as they come. I don't care if Barbie is Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and any other man hunk all rolled into one. Julia's reaction was about as far from reality as one can get.
Didn't they set this up with Julia lamenting on how gambling ruined their marriage and I think they were separated? Then it appears that the hubby hired Barbie to kill him so she could collect the insurance money (because suicide negates the policy)? So, yeah, it's far fetched, but they did try to explain it.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #55
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJW View Post
I think I'm a decent swimmer. I know I can stay afloat a pretty long time in the water. But without the use of my arms, far from shore, with currents? I wouldn't like my odds.

I think it's a given she's dead. I can't believe we're even discussing any alternate possibilities.
Why can't you use your arms at all? They are just tied together in front of you. You can still use them, just not for traditional swimming strokes.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #56
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Julia is convinced her husband did a variation of "suicide by cop" by pulling an unloaded gun on someone he knew would likely kill him.

Hard to blame a guy for that, huh? Especially when dead hubby left behind a whopping big life insurance policy.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

And yet I bet in real-life there was a high profile instance of something similar happening. Different people react differently to different things. There is never one way that every person would react.

Just like earlier with people complaining about Barbie turning down a hot chick in bed. In real life this happens. Everyone doesn't think about sex 24/7. There is a lot more to life than sex.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #58
warrenn

Quote:
Why can't you use your arms at all? They are just tied together in front of you. You can still use them, just not for traditional swimming strokes.

If you're a strong swimmer and if you remain calm, you could probably swim to shore. But she's fully clothed and unprepared. It all depends if she can remain calm. And it didn't look like she exercised regularly, so I wonder even if she could even swim to shore with her arms free.

If she goes under and gulps in water, she will go into an instinctual drowning mode. It should be easy to get out of, but it's hard to fight instinct. It's like saying waterboarding shouldn't be that effective--it's just a little water up the nose. But it triggers a response in a very deep part of the brain and you can't fight it. Drowning is like that.

There was a guy who drowned recently in the lake nearby. He was walking in the shallow water just yards from shore. The shore dropped off suddenly and he went under and gulped in water and drowned. He was literally a few feet from shallow water, yet he couldn't save himself.

It's easy to say she should be able to swim to shore, but you have to factor in the freak-out panic mode that the brain will go into if it thinks it's drowning.

Of course, this being UtD, actual realism will be disregarded. Likely they'll have her swim for miles, catch up to the boat, use the propeller to cut the ropes on her wrists, climb aboard, and have an emotional reunion with Big Jim where they spend the night looking at the stars and making love.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #59
sharkster

Definitely a pretty silly episode but I didn't find myself squirming the whole time, looking for an excuse to just hit delete.

What a poor use of the talents of Mare Winningham. Seems like she will die out there, but I would have liked to see more of her - instead of her creepy-evil daughter. Hoping they kill that one off soon. That whole storyline went from stoopid to stoopider.

Interesting how the Barbie/Red thing went when he 'fessed up to the killing. I'm fine with that.

The whole mini dome thing is pretty ridiculous. I haven't read this book, but this reminds me of other SK books that were really good, yet the movies they made were just more silly and nonsensical than anything.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #60
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Julia is convinced her husband did a variation of "suicide by cop" by pulling an unloaded gun on someone he knew would likely kill him.

Hard to blame a guy for that, huh? Especially when dead hubby left behind a whopping big life insurance policy.
If only she could get the proceeds of the policy in paid in salt and propane.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote