TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #31
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

no battery level on the remote itself but yes it has the red light that blinks to indecate a button push
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #32
innocentfreak

Battery level a least with the slide is under the system info screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #33
JWhites

Thanks Surralone.

innocentfreak, I remember that and am wondering if that is the case with the Roamio's new remote as well?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #34
JWhites

I wonder if the new slide remote will work with the Remote Finder feature.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #35
Alanbrad

I like the new slide remote..slide is working well ?

Robot Vacuum

Last edited by Alanbrad : 09-23-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Alanbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #36
joelw

My new Roamio remote doesn't always work properly. At times I can press any of the buttons multiple times (including channel up & down), and nothing happens. Then, suddenly, it will work. My Premiere XL remote always seems to work on the Roamio. Could it be something to do with IR vs. RF? My unit is about 15 feet away, and there's nothing blocking the signal.
joelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #37
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw View Post
My new Roamio remote doesn't always work properly. At times I can press any of the buttons multiple times (including channel up & down), and nothing happens. Then, suddenly, it will work. My Premiere XL remote always seems to work on the Roamio. Could it be something to do with IR vs. RF? My unit is about 15 feet away, and there's nothing blocking the signal.
You could have interference.

I don't think we know what frequency is being used, but it is probably 2.4 Ghz, which is the same as WiFi B/G, Microwave ovens, cordless phones, bluetooth, etc...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #38
joelw

I'm in my basement (man cave). Nothing else down here which could interfere. Interestingly, when this happens, I try the Premiere XL remote, and it works perfectly. The Roamio remote acts as if the batteries are dead, but they're not. The red light on the remote flashes, as well as the yellow indicator light on the Roamio, so the signal is reaching the unit. It just doesn't do anything! Very frustrating....
joelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #39
innocentfreak

Maybe the IR is bad in the remote assuming you mean you tried the Premiere XL remote on the Roamio.

Have you tried the Roamio remote on the Premiere XL?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #40
jscozz

So I am not clear on this... does the Roamio send both IR and RF at the same time or do you have to switch it between the two? If you have to switch it, how do I control TV volume and input with a single button press? If I have to switch to IR just to use those buttons, that is a pain in the butt! Am I misunderstanding something here?
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #41
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
You could have interference.

I don't think we know what frequency is being used, but it is probably 2.4 Ghz, which is the same as WiFi B/G, Microwave ovens, cordless phones, bluetooth, etc...
I would like to think that because the Roamio can use wifi that the remote and stuff would specifically be made immune to 2.4GHz interference.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #42
aaronwt
HD Addict

Here is the TiVo support page for the Romaio Remote

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2719

Quote:
...When you press buttons on the remote, the activity indicator flashes different colors to indicate what kind of signal the remote is sending:

If the activity indicator flashes red, the remote is sending IR commands to the DVR.
If the activity indicator flashes amber, the remote is paired and is sending RF commands to the DVR....

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #43
jscozz

Thanks. I just read through the entire remote doc... but it still does not say anywhere that in RF mode it will send IR to TV for Input, volume, etc. Does anyone know if RF mode is ONLY for the Tivo functions, and does not affect non-tivo buttons like volume, mute, input?
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #44
aaronwt
HD Addict

It should be sending IR for those buttons if it's like past remotes.

I didn't set mine up for my receiver yet. I guess I might as well do it now.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #45
aaronwt
HD Addict

OK I just set the remote up for use with my Denon receiver. Once I set it up then the yellow circle on the TiVo flashes with every button press, whether the buttons for the Denon or the buttons used with the TiVo. But it is only flashing amber with all of these button press. Which according to the remote control support page is IR. Even if I cover the IR window of the remote it will still control the TiVo.

So it is sending IR to the Denon and RF to the TiVo. I am going to turn this off though because the circles on the TiVo are huge and it's annoying to see the circle flash with every button press. I guess I will need to use some light dims on my Romaio Pro.

EDIT: Hmm.. maybe I just didn't notice the amber circle flashing before?

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-29-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #46
ufo4sale

Excuse my ignorance but why does it matter how the TiVo receives the signal If both are being received?
Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 AM   #47
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscozz View Post
Thanks. I just read through the entire remote doc... but it still does not say anywhere that in RF mode it will send IR to TV for Input, volume, etc. Does anyone know if RF mode is ONLY for the Tivo functions, and does not affect non-tivo buttons like volume, mute, input?
It is in RF mode by default and only sends IR for the TV/amp power/volume/source.

The TiVo commands are never both IR and RF, it is one or the other, and the default is RF. You can switch it into all IR mode if you would (which is blech).

And just because you claim to "no other devices" in your cave, doesn't mean there isn't potential interference....
Old 08-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #48
cyberbeach
Mere member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Also weird is the new guide button the button that is used the most not being in the same place is odd. But overall I like it
The thing about moving the guide button:

On the one hand, it's in a better place on the Roamio Remote (under select) - easier to get to without accidentally pressing Live TV or Info, or hitting Guide when you mean to hit Live TV or Info.

On the other hand, I stashed my new Roamio Remote away to await the day when all the remotes have the new Guide button location. I can learn and change, but I can't deal with different locations on different remotes in different rooms. The Mini still has the Guide button at the old location, as do my Premiere backlit remotes.

When the new slide comes out, I can get one of those.

Also one more thing: the Roamio Remote isn't backlit. So that makes it a free throwaway remote, not a "serious" remote. It belongs in the box with the cables you didn't use so that it's safely there when it comes time to sell it.

Thinking of the Roamio Pro, who's going to buy a $600 DVR and then use a non-backlit remote with it?

WIRED .... 2013 RoPro, Minis (FIOS)
RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
DESIRED . 2020 Tivo 32K 96fps 3D Holodecks (Verizon-WarnerCast)
cyberbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #49
cyberbeach
Mere member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
OK I just set the remote up for use with my Denon receiver.
I have my remotes set up to control the volume on my Denon and Sony receivers (different rooms), but I've never gotten the remotes to turn the receiver on/off, have you?

WIRED .... 2013 RoPro, Minis (FIOS)
RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
DESIRED . 2020 Tivo 32K 96fps 3D Holodecks (Verizon-WarnerCast)
cyberbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #50
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeach View Post

Also one more thing: the Roamio Remote isn't backlit. So that makes it a free throwaway remote, not a "serious" remote. It belongs in the box with the cables you didn't use so that it's safely there when it comes time to sell it.

Thinking of the Roamio Pro, who's going to buy a $600 DVR and then use a non-backlit remote with it?
I wish they'd give me a remote instead of throwing it away How could they not have the damn thing for sale yet? I agree I do wish it was backlit and honestly have no idea why they would go so backwards in this. I mean even regarding the button locations, it feels like a slap in the face at tradition.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #51
lessd

My Roamio Plus does not want to set up to my Plus remote using RF, after the first button press the amber light blinks for some time, and the next button push gives me the same amber blinking, but no RF, pushed the find me Roamio button and the button light up but the remote does not give any sound. What am I doing incorrectly.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #52
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Also weird is the new guide button the button that is used the most not being in the same place is odd.
The moved Guide Button seems to be one of the biggest complaints about the new remote. But I honestly didn't even notice it because I guess I never use the guide. Do people really use the guide that much? Does it have any purpose if you NEVER watch live TV?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #53
MScottC

What amazes me on this forum is the comments from people who just assume that because they don't use a feature nobody uses it. Yes, a lot of us use the guide. Yes a lot of us use "live TV." And no we are not any less TiVo wise than you are. I've been using TiVo since 1999, and I use all the features that my device is capable of. Don't chide others who do differently than you do.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #54
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Do people really use the guide that much? Does it have any purpose if you NEVER watch live TV?
1) Hard to say.
2) Of course.
bodosom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #55
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Do people really use the guide that much? Does it have any purpose if you NEVER watch live TV?
Exactly how is one to discover new programs without the guide? Perhaps something is captured through suggestions, but perhaps not.

I tend to use the guide about once a month or so to look through everything offered in primetime on my favorite channels (such as NatGeo, History, Science, Epic, etc) to see what is coming. Much of what I watch are NOT series, they are "specials".... one-offs, and those can only be known about with research.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #56
innocentfreak

Quote:
Exactly how is one to discover new programs without the guide? Perhaps something is captured through suggestions, but perhaps not.

I tend to use the guide about once a month or so to look through everything offered in primetime on my favorite channels (such as NatGeo, History, Science, Epic, etc) to see what is coming. Much of what I watch are NOT series, they are "specials".... one-offs, and those can only be known about with research.
http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2013/09/premieres/

I go through this every weekend and schedule anything for the next week or so that looks interesting.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #57
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
What amazes me on this forum is the comments from people who just assume that because they don't use a feature nobody uses it. Yes, a lot of us use the guide. Yes a lot of us use "live TV." And no we are not any less TiVo wise than you are. I've been using TiVo since 1999, and I use all the features that my device is capable of. Don't chide others who do differently than you do.
Wow. I wasn't trying to chide anyone. I was asking what I thought was a legitimate question because I was interested in the answer. I do see some answers that make sense, so I'm glad I asked because that may be a reason for me to start looking in the guide once in a while. Sorry if I offended you with my question.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #58
generaltso

Quote:
Makes sense. I usually look on the Internet for new shows that I might like to record, but I bet I would find a lot of things that might be of interest if I scan through the guide every once in a while, which I never really thought of. At least I won't have to get used to the new button placement since I was never used to where it was before
Old 08-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #59
temitch

Where is the IR sensor on the Roamio Pro? I want to block it so the unit only accepts RF commands. I have a second Tivo Premier setup to use for ota broadcasts and don't want the Roamio to respond to it's ir comands.
temitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #60
tivogurl

Where do I get the codes to setup my Roamio's remote to control my TV's power, etc? No manual shipped with my Basic.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote