laria
Librocubicularist

One is 1 TB and one is 500 GB.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #332
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post

One is 1 TB and one is 500 GB.
That doesn't seem like enough space to record every episode of every new show, plus all your existing shows. Do you offload them to external storage?
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #333
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
That doesn't seem like enough space to record every episode of every new show, plus all your existing shows. Do you offload them to external storage?
Not really. I did have to last year because the TiVo that has the 1 TB drive now had a 500 GB like the other one, and it started going bad and finally died. By the time we replaced it, the schedule was thrown all off and we had a large backlog. That was unusual, though... I have been doing my "record anything that sounds remotely interesting" strategy for years.

I said "just about everything that is new on broadcast networks", not "every new show". I don't record cable networks outside of the summer season (with an exception or two... I record White Collar on USA for example, although I guess that's the only one I can think of at the moment), only ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/CW. I don't pick up reality or competition shows, either.

I record CBS and FOX on the 500 GB drive because CBS makes up the majority of "shows I already watch" viewing. It holds about 75 hours of HD. It doesn't fill up that quickly because it's mostly shows I already watch and will watch steadily.

I record ABC, NBC, and CW on the 1 TB drive. It holds over 150 hours of HD. Even if I watched zero tv that I recorded, it would take a while to fill it up. As it is though, I do watch SOME of the tv throughout the week... it's only the new shows that I usually let build up unless it sounds really interesting. Plus there are always the shows that get cancelled early. I just delete them all unwatched if they get cancelled.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #334
newsposter
Poster of News

do you stop watching canceled shows even if there is no real story. like a sit com etc? i could definitely see not watching something like following if you knew it ended in 3 eps

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #335
laria
Librocubicularist

Yes. Once they are cancelled, they are gone.

Edit: I should say, if they are cancelled and not showing anymore. Sometimes I will finish out the season if the network is going to finish out the season (i.e. Last Resort last year... I watched to the end).
Old 08-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #336
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I enjoy Sorkin's shows, but I do find watching them rather exhausting. It's not the kind of TV where you can just sit back a chill out. The dialogue is often so fast and clever that it requires a tremendous amount of concentration.
I think that's a *good* thing.. Though I've also argued I wouldn't want EVERY show to be like that. Sorkin, Mamet, & David E. Kelley do various amounts of "requiring a lot of concentration" shows.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #337
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I'm done with Camp. It's meh and I don't really care about how anything resolves...as opposed to Under the Dome which is so awful I just have to see how it plays out.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #338
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I'm done with Camp. It's meh and I don't really care about how anything resolves...as opposed to Under the Dome which is so awful I just have to see how it plays out.
the entire thing flies up into the sky of course. this is such a slow show it's not funny.

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #339
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I kinda like Camp. It's fine as a summer replacement show. It's kinda Parenthood meets Royal Pains. Light fair. If I had a ton of shows to catch up on, I'd probably not bother with it.

I HAVE rediscovered Netflix, now that my new BD player has resolved the sound issues I was having with my old one and my Roku (can't get DD+ to work on the Roku XS and the old BD player, resolved with the new one) So I've been watching a few episodes of Weeds. Starting S2 of United States of Tara (I saw S1 when I had a couple of months of free Showtime). I might take a look at The West Wing as well and see if I can watch a season or two before the fall season starts.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #340
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I kinda like Camp. It's fine as a summer replacement show. It's kinda Parenthood meets Royal Pains. Light fair. If I had a ton of shows to catch up on, I'd probably not bother with it.
I'm also trying to plan ahead for the fall season when all my favorites come back...

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #341
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Okay update. Help please. These are sitting on my TIVO. Need to watch or delete. And then I have a bunch more I need to download or stream if I want to catch up. Where do I start? I'm committed to getting this done now. Tired of putting it off.

Vampire Diaries
The Mentalist
White Collar
Once Upon A Time
Boardwalk Empire
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #342
laria
Librocubicularist

I only watch Vampire Diaries and White Collar on that list, so I vote one of those two.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #343
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I only watch Vampire Diaries and White Collar on that list, so I vote one of those two.
Is Vampire Diaries good so far this season? I was not left last feeling like it would be.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #344
laria
Librocubicularist

Oh! I thought this was still about last season's shows.

I haven't started watching TVD yet this season, so I'm not sure. I've been kind of procrastinating because I was kinda "meh" on the ending of last season.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #345
cherry ghost

I think this is the best season yet of Boardwalk Empire
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #346
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Okay update. Help please. These are sitting on my TIVO. Need to watch or delete. And then I have a bunch more I need to download or stream if I want to catch up. Where do I start? I'm committed to getting this done now. Tired of putting it off.

Vampire Diaries
The Mentalist
White Collar
Once Upon A Time
Boardwalk Empire
I have 3 episodes each of Once Upon A Time and it's spinoff. I started falling behind once baseball post season started and have caught up to everything but this. I usually watch with my daughter so I'm waiting for her to want to watch (and actually if it wasn't for her, I'd probably cancel the SPs).

My choices from that list to watch first would be White Collar and Boardwalk Empire. But of course I don't watch the other two shows
Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #347
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Stopped watching OUAT early last season. Just decided I didn't care anymore. Still watching and enjoying White Collar. I"m one episode behind, but trying to keep up. Haven't started this season of Boardwalk Empire yet, but planning to start soon, as I really enjoyed S3. Never watched TVD or The Mentalist.

So obviously I'd choose White Collar and Boardwalk Empire.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #348
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Is Vampire Diaries good so far this season? I was not left last feeling like it would be.
The Originals is FAR superior in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #349
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
The Originals is FAR superior in my opinion.
i have that on my to watch list. You know my love of Elijah so I am in. Saw the built in pilot last season and really enjoyed it.

Okay so Boardwalk tonight then. I will try not to revive old threads.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #350
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Vampire Diaries
The Mentalist
White Collar
Once Upon A Time
Boardwalk Empire
Obviously YMMV...

VD: don't watch
Mentalist: I want to hold off on a watch/delete for now. The season is ok, but let's see where it goes, and then we can make your decision for you
WC: it's still early in the season, I would say it's ok, but not exemplary so far.
OUaT: I quit watching. Finally. You should too.
BE: Best season in a while. Gone from a show I would watch when I got around to it, to must see TV.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #351
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
i have that on my to watch list. You know my love of Elijah so I am in. Saw the built in pilot last season and really enjoyed it.

Okay so Boardwalk tonight then. I will try not to revive old threads.
Funny, I was searching for this thread and couldn't find it last week when I seemed to be hopelessly behind. Lazy weekend cleared that up Thanks for reviving
Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #352
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Funny, I was searching for this thread and couldn't find it last week when I seemed to be hopelessly behind. Lazy weekend cleared that up Thanks for reviving
You're welcome, I just skimmed the 5-6 SPN threads to find it in my subscribed threads because I'm so behind on shows I can't even come chat with you all much anymore and that makes me sad. Another reason I want to get caught up!
Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #353
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
You're welcome, I just skimmed the 5-6 SPN threads to find it in my subscribed threads because I'm so behind on shows I can't even come chat with you all much anymore and that makes me sad. Another reason I want to get caught up!
A lot of people save shows and binge watch them. I don't like doing that if I can help it and one of the reasons is so I can chat here about the show during the week the episode occurs. I really enjoy that. I haven't seen this week's Boardwalk Empire and there's a thread about it that's staring me in the face that I want to participate in!!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #354
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

Vampire Diaries
The Mentalist
White Collar
Once Upon A Time
Boardwalk Empire
Depending on how far you're into the Mentalist, they are identifying who Red John is in the current season so far.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #355
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Depending on how far you're into the Mentalist, they are identifying who Red John is in the current season so far.
They are?? I'm only halfway through last season. I think it's the show I have the most sitting but just can't bring myself to delete for fear that I'll never go back to it. I just love Jane so I'm not sure what my wait is about.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #356
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
They are?? I'm only halfway through last season. I think it's the show I have the most sitting but just can't bring myself to delete for fear that I'll never go back to it. I just love Jane so I'm not sure what my wait is about.
Yes.

Towards the end of Season 5, Jane got some clues as to who Red John is and started up a plan to identify and catch him.
The current episodes are him enacting this plan.

So if you're invested in the Red John storyline, you might not want to dump the series just yet.

Also, this week's episode was pulled at the last minute and a rerun was show instead.
So you would want to make sure that you record the upcoming episode.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #357
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Yes.

Towards the end of Season 5, Jane got some clues as to who Red John is and started up a plan to identify and catch him.
The current episodes are him enacting this plan.

So if you're invested in the Red John storyline, you might not want to dump the series just yet.

Also, this week's episode was pulled at the last minute and a rerun was show instead.
So you would want to make sure that you record the upcoming episode.

Good to know thanks!!!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #358
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I know it is not much compared to some of you but I am 16 hours behind already this season. I HATE falling behind I am thinking about dumping the shows I am furthest behind on which would be The Blacklist (5 episodes) and Tomorrow People (3 episodes)
Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #359
BruceShultes

Quote:
Unless you have your DVR set to record at least an half-hour past scheduled ending time, you will need to watch almost every episode of the Mentalist via CBS.com anyway.

As soon as the NFL started, CBS pushed their whole schedule back each week by the amount that week's NFL game over ran the scheduled start time for 60 Minutes.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #360
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I know it is not much compared to some of you but I am 16 hours behind already this season. I HATE falling behind I am thinking about dumping the shows I am furthest behind on which would be The Blacklist (5 episodes) and Tomorrow People (3 episodes)
Blacklist is very good.

Tomorrow People I dumped after one episode.