Forum Jump

Old 08-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #121
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I never realized that they counted spelling in Final Jeopardy:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t3

Although according to the story he would have still finished in the same overall place if he did get credit for it.
People seem to be making a bigger deal out of it then it is. Either way he would have lost. And he seems more of a loser now for whining about it. He misspelled it, move on. He lost no matter what. Why should he be special. The kid who won it spelled it correctly.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #122
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
People seem to be making a bigger deal out of it then it is. Either way he would have lost. And he seems more of a loser now for whining about it. He misspelled it, move on. He lost no matter what. Why should he be special. The kid who won it spelled it correctly.
Really . . .

In Jeopardy under the category of "Point"ed items we have a $400/$600 clue.

An issue regarded as potentially debatable, but no longer practically applicable.

Spoiler:
What is Moot Point?

waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #123
logic88

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
FJ has different rules than regular Jeopardy. They will allow misspelling, as long as the word is otherwise correct. So phonetically is generally allowed. But if the misspelling creates a different word--emanciptation is not emancipation--then it will not be accepted.

So if the answer is "John Deere", they would allow "John Dear".
How 'bout bad penmanship? Some of the answers (from other shows, not this one) seem close to being illegible. Is there a rule about using block letters in FJ?
logic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #124
whitson77
Director Level

I didn't think Alex was a jerk or smug at all. He probably could have omitted the "badly" but his tone was certainly not rude IMO.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #125
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitson77 View Post
I didn't think Alex was a jerk or smug at all. He probably could have omitted the "badly" but his tone was certainly not rude IMO.
Agree.

I am impressed at how good AT is as host. There is a lot of subtlety to what he does. He keeps several balls going while do a bit of improv.

I also like that he appears to be the world's smartest man. He reads the correct answers or whatever like he always knew it.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #126
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
And you have seen something like this happen on FJ? I get the feeling that you have a ton more experience watching the show than I do.

I am not sure dear/deer/deere is fair either.

FWIW - I would suck at FJ as I am a really poor speller. (Among other reasons.)
I watch every episode, every day. I love J! For a while, I was even playing Coryats.

The reason deer/dear is fair is because them be the rules. Spelling doesn't matter as long as the word is the same. Misspellings only matter if the pronunciation would be different. Like emanciptation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
How 'bout bad penmanship? Some of the answers (from other shows, not this one) seem close to being illegible. Is there a rule about using block letters in FJ?
If they can read it, it counts. They have judges for this reason (among others). I'm surprised sometimes how lenient they are on writing.
Quote:
I also like that he appears to be the world's smartest man. He reads the correct answers or whatever like he always knew it.
This drives my wife nuts. She hates how he always knows the answer. She once said he probably stays up the night before reading all the answers (questions).
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #127
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
This drives my wife nuts. She hates how he always knows the answer. She once said he probably stays up the night before reading all the answers (questions).
LOL! Yes, I am sure he rehearses. He has to be familiar with the clues. Also he needs to get the pronunciation correct, etc.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #128
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
The reason deer/dear is fair is because them be the rules.
I get that. I was just thinking about the "Alice in Wonderland" scenario where it was published under two different names so either would be correct. However, with the movie Deer Hunter, it was published under that name. It was not published under Dear Hunter.

To me it seems that it should be one way or the other. But the show has worked with the current rules for 30 years or so, so it's not a big deal. Just my thinking. I also hate it when the worst player wins, but that is part of what makes Jeopardy Jeopardy.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #129
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
I never realized that they counted spelling in Final Jeopardy:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/05/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t3

Although according to the story he would have still finished in the same overall place if he did get credit for it.
Funny that this came up again tonight. And I think the contestant knew it the second her answer was revealed judging by her reaction. If anything her answer was more correct than the kids the other night.

Of course for a teacher to have a spelling error; tsk, tsk. She should have proofread her answer.

Spoiler:
Wrote "Waitin" instead of "Waiting"

Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #130
logic88

Quote:
If they can read it, it counts. They have judges for this reason (among others). I'm surprised sometimes how lenient they are on writing.
So the kid made a mistake by using block letters instead of cursive!
logic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #131
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm not sure why it's a huge story - he would have lost anyway.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #132
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
The most important tactic I learned from J! is never give someone's first name unless it is required. If you give only the last name they will say it's correct. But if you give an incorrect first name, you get it wrong.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #133
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
The most important tactic I learned from J! is never give someone's first name unless it is required. If you give only the last name they will say it's correct. But if you give an incorrect first name, you get it wrong.
Agreed. However, how easy do you think it would be implement this in real life? I think our natural inclination is to think of people with a first and last name so it wants to come out that way. Also there is the added time pressure of needing to produce the answer quickly. All these things come into play to make this more difficult than it might seem. (IMO) I think it would take some training to not do that. I know I would practice extensively before hand to minimize this habit.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #134
waynomo
My One Time

astrohip - Do they give you extra time if you need to come up with the first name?

The situation I am thinking about is when the person struggles a bit coming up with the name so they finish just before the buzzer rings, but only gives the last name and the answer needs a first name to be correct. In that situation do they give the contestants a few more seconds? If so, how many more?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #135
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
QFT. They will always accept it unless there is some ambiguity with a last name only. But if you blurt out "Alfred Einstein" when "Einstein" would have sufficed... bzzz. No mo' money.

Quote:
astrohip - Do they give you extra time if you need to come up with the first name?

The situation I am thinking about is when the person struggles a bit coming up with the name so they finish just before the buzzer rings, but only gives the last name and the answer needs a first name to be correct. In that situation do they give the contestants a few more seconds? If so, how many more?
Here's what I've seen, and that doesn't make it gospel. Sometimes a contestant will say an answer that's not incorrect, but not clearly the full answer they are looking for. It could be they only give a last name where the judges are looking for a full name. Or it could be just part of the answer. Maybe the contestant said "Boer" and they are looking for "Boer War". Alex will often look at the judges for a ruling. If the contestant jumps in with the correct answer before the judges rule, it is often accepted.

Having said this... the shows are edited. We have no idea what might have actually happened but was cut from the broadcast. For all we know, they actually asked the contestant for a better answer.

BTW, summer hiatus now. Repeats until next season, which should be in a few weeks. Rumor has it we will see a new set design this year.

Jboard.tv, the Jeopardy forum, has a daily thread on each show. And more often than not, the actual contestants will chime in. You learn some interesting things. Like how much easier it is to win sitting at home.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #136
Honora

Quote:
QFT. They will always accept it unless there is some ambiguity with a last name only. But if you blurt out "Alfred Einstein" when "Einstein" would have sufficed... bzzz. No mo' money.

Here's what I've seen, and that doesn't make it gospel. Sometimes a contestant will say an answer that's not incorrect, but not clearly the full answer they are looking for. It could be they only give a last name where the judges are looking for a full name. Or it could be just part of the answer. Maybe the contestant said "Boer" and they are looking for "Boer War". Alex will often look at the judges for a ruling. If the contestant jumps in with the correct answer before the judges rule, it is often accepted.

Having said this... the shows are edited. We have no idea what might have actually happened but was cut from the broadcast. For all we know, they actually asked the contestant for a better answer.

BTW, summer hiatus now. Repeats until next season, which should be in a few weeks. Rumor has it we will see a new set design this year.

Jboard.tv, the Jeopardy forum, has a daily thread on each show. And more often than not, the actual contestants will chime in. You learn some interesting things. Like how much easier it is to win sitting at home.
Regarding the editing, I've always wondered about those instances where Alex says that the judges had checked and found that a previous response that had been deemed incorrect should have been accepted. Does the contestant question it and they edit that out? Otherwise why would they recheck their sources?

Does anybody know?
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #137
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honora View Post
Does anybody know?
I don't know, but I always got the impression that the judges are constantly checking especially when someone comes up with an answer they didn't expect. Of course it goes both ways. That Alex will hear an answer as correct, but the contestant has slightly pronounced it wrong. Somewhere there was an example of someone answering "Wimbleton" instead of "Wimbledon." "Ton" was incorrect, but Alex gave him credit. They later deducted points for an incorrect response.

I don't think the contestants get a protest vote, but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited by waynomo : 08-06-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #138
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Having said this... the shows are edited.
Sort of.

I saw a taping over 10 years ago. I don't think the procedure has changed. From the beginning of the show till the end of Double Jeopardy the show is taped in real time. They pause the taping before Final Jeopardy begins so the contestants have time to get their wagers correct.

As explained before the tapings that I witnessed, they don't want the contestants to screw up their wager for this critical round. They bring in consultants that help the contestants make a proper wager. How much help is debated. I know they at least make sure they don't wager more money than they have.

Last edited by waynomo : 08-06-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #139
doom1701
I blue myself!

Quote:
FJ has different rules than regular Jeopardy. They will allow misspelling, as long as the word is otherwise correct. So phonetically is generally allowed. But if the misspelling creates a different word--emanciptation is not emancipation--then it will not be accepted.

So if the answer is "John Deere", they would allow "John Dear".
It's probably just because I come from the home of John Deere, and because my family's livelihood (and that of most of my friends) has come from working for Deere directly or indirectly...but if someone spelled in "John Dear" and it was accepted, I'd be ready to punch someone in the face four or five times.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #140
nickels
opinionated dope

I just fully watched the episode from last Wed. where the kid added the extra T on final Jeopardy. All I took from it was that Alex T handled it like a toolbag. "Wow that spelling was pathetic you little idiot!" - he may as well have said it like that, the kid added one letter (and Mr "Know it all" actually said he added a 'P' instead of a 'T', dummy). If you watched through the credits, as a parent it was heartbreaking. That kid's chin was quivering and you could tell by his face that he was very upset and trying not to cry. Alex made him look like a fool.

The only thing missing from making this episode epic is if the winner would have pulled a Clavin (as mentioned earlier). His cocky bet could have gone horribly wrong. Damn so close!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #141
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I just fully watched the episode from last Wed. where the kid added the extra T on final Jeopardy. All I took from it was that Alex T handled it like a toolbag. "Wow that spelling was pathetic you little idiot!" - he may as well have said it like that, the kid added one letter (and Mr "Know it all" actually said he added a 'P' instead of a 'T', dummy). If you watched through the credits, as a parent it was heartbreaking. That kid's chin was quivering and you could tell by his face that he was very upset and trying not to cry. Alex made him look like a fool.

The only thing missing from making this episode epic is if the winner would have pulled a Clavin (as mentioned earlier). His cocky bet could have gone horribly wrong. Damn so close!
The kid made himself look like a fool. Alex just brought more attention to it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #142
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The kid made himself look like a fool. Alex just brought more attention to it.
I don't think Alex made him look like a fool.. I think Alex saw the kid knew the correct answer but it was misspelled.

If Alex was the the single judge of the show I could perceive his tone and pause to be a little rude, however Alex is just a host and was wanting the judges (not shown) to make a ruling on the kids answer, and in that context Alex is not rude at all.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #143
Edmund
Remote Czar

The kid, and I guess his family thinks if he had been credited with right answer he would be $3000 richier. I guess they don't watch Jeopardy that often?
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #144
astrohip
Stuart F

First spy pics of the new set. Now this is just the splash/intro set, not the actual game board set.

Old 08-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #145
waynomo
My One Time

Is there a montage of the set through the years?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #146
astrohip
Stuart F

Picture of the new podiums and contestant area...

Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #147
Boot
to the head

Quote:
First spy pics of the new set. Now this is just the splash/intro set, not the actual game board set.

They have a fake game board that they use for the intro?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"
" - GiGi
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #148
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I don't think Alex made him look like a fool.. I think Alex saw the kid knew the correct answer but it was misspelled.

If Alex was the the single judge of the show I could perceive his tone and pause to be a little rude, however Alex is just a host and was wanting the judges (not shown) to make a ruling on the kids answer, and in that context Alex is not rude at all.
I had a bunch of shows saved on the DVR and I just watched this one-the kid was from Newtown, CT-if ANYONE deserves a break, it's a kid from that town! ...just sayin' It was clear that the kid knew the answer. I mean, jeez, the kid would have won the same amount of $$ either way, why not give him credit? FOR REAL!

I can't STAND Alex! He demeans women constantly-if a woman is up against two men, and loses, he will ALWAYS remark, "You were up against two tough, tough, fellows..." or something assinine to that effect. Dude, whatever! Shut the f**k up! No one cares what you have to say!

(Yes, I know-tell us how you really feel! )
Old 09-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #149
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I mean, jeez, the kid would have won the same amount of $$ either way, why not give him credit? FOR REAL!
Because that's not how Jeopardy works. Rules are rules.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #150
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Because that's not how Jeopardy works. Rules are rules.
Yes, and normally misspelling does not count against someone, and they could tell that the kid knew the answer, and I think they arbitrarily ruled against him!