TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

Companies don't tend to add features unless they think they will benefit a large portion of their customers and/or will entice new customers to buy. I don't think this qualifies under either category. Given their apparently limited resources I think they'd be better served adding user profiles, since that might actually entice someone to buy a 6 tuner unit for the whole family.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #32
Rose4uKY

I would love for it to have user profiles and would like for me and my boyfriend to each see are own shows in a separate folder then I would like a user profile that has concert videos and movies and stuff we both like and want to watch in that folder. We just moved in together and my season pass is about 20 shows his isn't as many I don't think. But were sending back our 300HD hour 2TB Premiere for a 150HD/1TB Roamio but that's still going to be a lot of shows to sort through. I was hoping when we got the Premiere it would have user profiles cause 2TB is a lot to sort through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Companies don't tend to add features unless they think they will benefit a large portion of their customers and/or will entice new customers to buy. I don't think this qualifies under either category. Given their apparently limited resources I think they'd be better served adding user profiles, since that might actually entice someone to buy a 6 tuner unit for the whole family.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

I envision there being folders for each user with the shows they specifically requested, and then an "All" folder with everything recorded in it. If two users requested the same show then only one copy is recorded but each person sees it in their list. Each person can yhen delete it from their list, but the show is not actually deleted until it's deleted from everyone's list or from the "All" list.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
thenightfly42
Seņor Senior, Jr.

Every recorded show already has tags in the description for the show ("Sitcom", "Sports"). I wonder how folders based on those tags might work.
thenightfly42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
Rose4uKY

That would be nice!

Quote:
I envision there being folders for each user with the shows they specifically requested, and then an "All" folder with everything recorded in it. If two users requested the same show then only one copy is recorded but each person sees it in their list. Each person can yhen delete it from their list, but the show is not actually deleted until it's deleted from everyone's list or from the "All" list.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenightfly42 View Post
Every recorded show already has tags in the description for the show ("Sitcom", "Sports"). I wonder how folders based on those tags might work.
I think that's what the 3 pane My Shows is going to do. Have a way to group recordings by genre.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #37
JoeTaxpayer

I'm someone that would like folders. I have 3 groups - My kid's shows ('nuff said), the show I watch with my bride, and the crap I've accumulated but would like set aside such as rock concerts I watch/listen to while in my workshop. When my wife and I are together it would help keep the list just showing what we'll watch and avoid discussion of my 26 episodes of "Woodsmith".
Old 08-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
I'm someone that would like folders. I have 3 groups - My kid's shows ('nuff said), the show I watch with my bride, and the crap I've accumulated but would like set aside such as rock concerts I watch/listen to while in my workshop. When my wife and I are together it would help keep the list just showing what we'll watch and avoid discussion of my 26 episodes of "Woodsmith".
You could do that via profiles. Profiles wouldn't have to be keyed to a specific person. You could setup one for the kids, one for just you and one for you and your wife and then access the one that matches your needs at that moment.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
That would be nice!
If you have more than one person using it, yes it would. And if you don't, then probably not (or not necessarily).

But an option to create custom folders and direct recordings to those is nice for BOTH multi-person situations AND single-person situations. Then you can do whatever you want!

[You could approximate custom folders using profiles by a single person, but it is not necessarily the same thing and could be much, much more limited]
Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think a single TiVo used by multiple people is a more likely scenario and that's why I think TiVo is more likely to implement profiles than custom folders. Then again knowing TiVo we may never see either one.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #41
mattack

Quote:
I'm not talking about how complex it would be to do, I'm talking about how complex it would be for an average Joe Schmoe to actually use. TiVo has never really be a fan of adding geek centric options. I remember at one point they were going to complete revamp the Wish List section to include advanced Boolean search parameters, they even beta tested it briefly, and then the whole thing got scrapped because it was deemed too complicated for the average user to use.
Was it more complex than the extra include/exclude kinds of options we can put on wishlists now?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #42
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Was it more complex than the extra include/exclude kinds of options we can put on wishlists now?
There was, at one time, a much more complex version of this. It never made it to the public because it was deemed to complicated to use. Instead we got the watered down version we have now for the sake of simplicity. I suspect any features we see with regards to enhanced grouping will also be watered down for the sake of simplicity. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #43
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
I think the 3 column view would allow you to see shows in a group without actually having to go "inside" the group. Should allow for quicker navigation in/out of groups.

I'm still hoping they eventually add some sort of user profile feature. With 6 tuners and 3TB of space this thing just begs for multiple users. But wading through a bunch of crap someone else recorded is no fun for anyone.
2TB S3 LT owner here, been awaiting the new Roamio (skipping the XL4) and we are in essence 4 different and unique users, wife, 15 yr old and 12 yrold daufgters and myself.... 129 season passes. Sometimes I find myself wadding through 4 or 5 screens of groups to get to what "I" want to watch, very annoying

I would love to be able to have 4 or 5 "main" users folders in the Now Playing, so I can click on mine and see only my recordings and not all the teen, tween and lame stuff they records.

I know the family, especially the girls, will immediately take over the nwe toy and i'll be back to square one as far as scrolling up & down through pages of crap.

G

..... of vourse I could buy multiple boxes, even used S3s with lifetime but then thw wife will moan about the pile of boxes in the entertainment unit (plz no comments, I know, entertainment center is for multiple devices, I am maxed out at 8 )

edit: I use the term group or folder without knowing how TiVo classifies or differentiates the two types, so to clear up any confusion, what I'd like to see have in the Now Playing is 4 or 5 User Labled folders/groups/whatever with each containing the recordings tagged by the user that recorded it or tagged in the Season Pass.

How hard is it to have an extra line to select in the season pass manager preferences screen something like: put recording in Gmans Folder?

Last edited by GmanTiVo : 08-29-2013 at 12:07 PM.
GmanTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #44
gweempose

Now that they have a box that is capable of holding 450 hours of stuff, and it is designed to be used as a central hub for the entire home, they need to implement MUCH better management tools. I liked how it was on ReplayTV where I could create folders for "Movies", "Relaity Shows", "Kids", etc ... This has always been a feature I wanted to see on TiVo as well, but it has now become essential if they want to fully realize the whole home DVR concept.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #45
gweempose

Just to give you guys an idea of how large 3TB is, I moved 21 episodes of Justified on to my Pro last night, and it takes up only 4% of the available space. It truly is a huge amount of space, and with 6 tuners, it could easily be the only box a typical family would need.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #46
Rose4uKY

And to think my Sereis 3 only had 20 HD hours and I would get the message every so often that I had to delete something in order for something else to record. LOL! I know I am giving up a Premiere 2TB which is only 14% full with a ton of stuff on it and lots of suggestions for the Roamio Plus which is 1TB but that will till be plenty for just me and my boyfriend. My season pass list is only about 20 something shows once they all start back up again in the fall.

If stuff is copyrighted is there no way at all to transfer it to your computer or another Tivo? I have several Rock Concert videos I hate to lose. Also I was reading about KMTTG Tivo to go I think it is. I havbe Tivo desktop but is this different? I tried to download it and it was a zip file I googled it but it didn't completely work it said a directory wasn't found or something. I put in my media key and it never worked. I guess I can look for a thread on it on here but thought I'd ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Just to give you guys an idea of how large 3TB is, I moved 21 episodes of Justified on to my Pro last night, and it takes up only 4% of the available space. It truly is a huge amount of space, and with 6 tuners, it could easily be the only box a typical family would need.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #47
tom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
I saw HD folder mentioned above. Does the Roamio still have the HD folder?

That thing is silly.
The HD folder has been a very important forlder for me to have on my Series 3.

I might go 4 or 5 days without watching TV then come in and see I only had 12 tivo sugestions instead of a good selection to choose from of 30 to 40 because it recorded a number of things in HD. Or I could quickly see which of those I had purposely recorded were taking up space and could free space at a 5 to 1 ration by deleting them first so my tivo suggestions file would start being useful again.

Without it I would have no quick way to triage what was eating up memory space...very especially in TIVO selections.

As almost everything becomes HD it is not as important.
tom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #48
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
If stuff is copyrighted is there no way at all to transfer it to your computer or another Tivo? I have several Rock Concert videos I hate to lose.
If the show has a red X when you look at from your other TiVo then it is protected and can not be transfered to another TiVo or to a PC. It's stuck on the original TiVo that recorded it. The only way to get it off would be to use a realtime capture device connected to the component outputs to capture it on the PC.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #49
tom22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
2TB S3 LT owner here, been awaiting the new Roamio (skipping the XL4) and we are in essence 4 different and unique users, wife, 15 yr old and 12 yrold daufgters and myself.... 129 season passes. Sometimes I find myself wadding through 4 or 5 screens of groups to get to what "I" want to watch, very annoying

I would love to be able to have 4 or 5 "main" users folders in the Now Playing, so I can click on mine and see only my recordings and not all the teen, tween and lame stuff they records.

I know the family, especially the girls, will immediately take over the nwe toy and i'll be back to square one as far as scrolling up & down through pages of crap.

G

..... of vourse I could buy multiple boxes, even used S3s with lifetime but then thw wife will moan about the pile of boxes in the entertainment unit (plz no comments, I know, entertainment center is for multiple devices, I am maxed out at 8 )

edit: I use the term group or folder without knowing how TiVo classifies or differentiates the two types, so to clear up any confusion, what I'd like to see have in the Now Playing is 4 or 5 User Labled folders/groups/whatever with each containing the recordings tagged by the user that recorded it or tagged in the Season Pass.

How hard is it to have an extra line to select in the season pass manager preferences screen something like: put recording in Gmans Folder?
I'm not sure about the "how hard can it be" part but the family story is funny.... I have a 16 year old boy and a 13 year old girl and have much of the same... I'm divorced (maybe my wife got tired of my focus on the competing entertainment devices - ; ) ) so that helped.

I'm one to bicker and bargain with my service providers every few years to be sure I'm getting the best pricing and also to provide some incentive for competitiors in providing - more- open highest speed interenet than the next one. I switched my internet to ATT and tried their U-verse (while mainting my cable tivo subscription for a month until I was sure) ...

... the way the package deals work and the steep discounts offered when I was (legitimately) canceling U-verse.. they were going to give me uverse on top of broadband and phone at a very low rate.

I considered making a rule that the kids would use U-verse for all their programming so I'd get 100% use of the Tivo....

... they revolted ... I'll need a bigger tivo and I'll need to sort through the files.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #50
tom22

Oh.. I think there might be a technical limitation making a tagging system a bigger job than we might first guess.

They aren't set up for "Folders" within "Folders" are they ? For example.. if I go to the much maligned HD recordings folder (that I find useful to find good prospects to delete to free the most space) .. that folder no longer has shows grouped by show name.

I'm sure I would prefer to go to a list of all of my families recordings grouped together in folders by series name (as they are now) over a list of only my programs that didn't have my programs in separate groups. (having nova's mixed in with cold-case files would be more of a pain than having to pass over a folder than said The Simpsons , or Cake Boss or Toddlers and Tiarras or whatever they're watching now )
Old 08-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #51
Dan203
Super Moderator

If they added profiles then I assume the show groups would still work. If they added a custom folder option then you're right, their folders are only 1 level deep so it would just be a big list at that point.

There was a screen shot posted years ago showing profiles. Basically when the My Shows list was selected in the main menu the right side had selections for All, Mom, Dad, Jimmy, Susie, etc... I assume that when you selected a specific person My Shows would still work as it does now, with groups, but the shows listed would simply be filtered by the user that requested them.

Edit: Here's what I was referring to...
http://gizmodo.com/5056067/a-sneak-p...user-interface
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #52
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
If they added profiles then I assume the show groups would still work. If they added a custom folder option then you're right, their folders are only 1 level deep so it would just be a big list at that point.

There was a screen shot posted years ago showing profiles. Basically when the My Shows list was selected in the main menu the right side had selections for All, Mom, Dad, Jimmy, Susie, etc... I assume that when you selected a specific person My Shows would still work as it does now, with groups, but the shows listed would simply be filtered by the user that requested them.

Edit: Here's what I was referring to...
http://gizmodo.com/5056067/a-sneak-p...user-interface
Well it's been almost 3.5 years since the Premiere was launched and still no sign of profiles.

It would certainly be useful to organize my SPs by putting them in different profiles.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #53
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's been 3.5 years and the HDUI isn't even finished. I'm just hoping that the usage scenario for the 6 tuner box gives them incentive to prioritize profiles.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #54
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
It's been 3.5 years and the HDUI isn't even finished. I'm just hoping that the usage scenario for the 6 tuner box gives them incentive to prioritize profiles.
And/or custom folders