TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #301
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangtime79 View Post
BTW, when I called to turn off the Series 3 month-to-month (sue me, I bought the Lifetime on this box) they did offer a $99 Lifetime for the Series 3 for what its worth.
Sue you? Lifetime is the way to go. I learned my lesson on past Tivos.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #302
aaronwt
HD Addict

Have they offered $99 on any of the Premieres? I have a Premiere on $6.95 a month that I use for OTA. I would love to be able switch that to lifetime for $99 when I get lifetime service on my Roamio Pro.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #303
Beryl

The Roamio Basic is going back.

It has wonderful features but I do think I got a lemon. Fortunately, I already ordered the Plus and had planned to return the Basic anyway.

Last night, we had a 2 hour power outage. The Roamio did not come back like the rest of my equipment (except the PC server and TV which only needed to be powered on). Powering it on with the remote didn't work and plugging it in and out of the surge protector didn't work. Unplugging the power plug from the device and plugging it back in did. That wasn't convenient since it is located behind a cabinet and of course one of the rubber feet fell off.

Keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the Plus is not problematic. I'm holding on to my HDXL until the end of the year in any case.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #304
aaronwt
HD Addict

Might be a good time to get a UPS too.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #305
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Probably. I do have an automatic natural gas backup generator but it covers areas that don't include the Roamio. It does cover the Premiere though. The Premiere did really well during the cutovers. I didn't have to do a thing and the Premiere was working in a couple of minutes.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #306
JWhites

Wait so your saying that when the power goes out, the Premiere does as well, then the generator comes on and the Premiere reboots? If so that's not a good thing since that could screw up the hard drive if it's in the middle of recording something and corruption. A UPS is always recommended with computers to prevent data loss, and a TiVo is literally a computer, and a UPS will provide steady power, even during the transition between utility power and generator power.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #307
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
A UPS is always recommended with computers to prevent data loss, and a TiVo is literally a computer, and a UPS will provide steady power, even during the transition between utility power and generator power.
Unless the battery in the UPS is borderline, then the UPS can destroy the Tivo. I had a APC 1500 KVA, after a few years of service, start to continually reboot itself. I had the Tivo, modem, router, and 32 in lcd HD TV hooked up to the UPS. TV was off at the time. I powered down the UPS, pulled all loads off on it, powered up the UPS and it stopped rebooting. I'm attributing this to the battery going south. I just replaced the uPS with a CyperPower 1500 KVA unit. I'll put the TV on a separate surge suppressor. I now have two Tivos, with the router, AT&T micro cell and modem on the UPS.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #308
JWhites

Well yes batteries over the years do age out, which happens with everything given enough time, that's why newer APC models have visual and audible indicators regarding the battery health.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #309
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Probably. I do have an automatic natural gas backup generator but it covers areas that don't include the Roamio. It does cover the Premiere though. The Premiere did really well during the cutovers. I didn't have to do a thing and the Premiere was working in a couple of minutes.
You still need a UPS. I have a standby generator also, but it takes 10-15 seconds before it kicks in and the power is flowing again. In those 10 seconds, all my TiVos lose power, and they all have to reboot (and of course, if recording, they lose 5+ minutes of the recording).

Get a UPS!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #310
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You still need a UPS. I have a standby generator also, but it takes 10-15 seconds before it kicks in and the power is flowing again. In those 10 seconds, all my TiVos lose power, and they all have to reboot (and of course, if recording, they lose 5+ minutes of the recording).

Get a UPS!
Okay!

I knew I needed one. I don't care about losing recordings but it made zero sense to spend $6K on a generator that gets used maybe 3 times a year for less than 5 hours and not have UPS on key electronics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-4014600418.jpg (27.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #311
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
+1

A TiVo is a computer. It should be on a UPS. Mine always are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Probably. I do have an automatic natural gas backup generator
Generator is useless. It does not prevent power failure, dips, sags, etc. If you have an automatic generator, you don't need a very BIG UPS, though
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #312
elwaylite

I keep anything with a HDD on a UPS.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #313
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Unless the battery in the UPS is borderline, then the UPS can destroy the Tivo. I had a APC 1500 KVA, after a few years of service, start to continually reboot itself.
I have hundreds of UPS's (home and work) of all difference sizes. I have *NEVER* seen a UPS cause the connected equipment to power on and off over and over. I am not saying it is not possible, but that is a very unusual and freaky occurrence.

Usually when the battery dies, it just holds up the equipment less and less time until it just stops holding things up. And most of them will shut off and just stay off in such a condition. My higher end units will perform a battery load test every week and if it doesn't pass, it will alarm with a warning, giving time to replace the battery before it completely fails.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #314
TheWizz

I have a whole home generator that runs on natural gas, so if the power goes out, I'm back in business in less than a minute. However, I still have all my computers on UPS as well, which includes any/all DVRs. It's worth a hundred bucks for the extra/continuous protection.
TheWizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #315
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I have hundreds of UPS's (home and work) of all difference sizes. I have *NEVER* seen a UPS cause the connected equipment to power on and off over and over. I am not saying it is not possible, but that is a very unusual and freaky occurrence.
Scared the living daylights out of me when I realized what was happening, and trust me, it is possible. I would have thought that with a weak battery the load would still be powered by the UPS until AC power is lost, and then it shuts down and stays off. Load couldn't been more than 100 watts, so I was totally surprised.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #316
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Unless the battery in the UPS is borderline, then the UPS can destroy the Tivo. I had a APC 1500 KVA, after a few years of service, start to continually reboot itself. I had the Tivo, modem, router, and 32 in lcd HD TV hooked up to the UPS. TV was off at the time. I powered down the UPS, pulled all loads off on it, powered up the UPS and it stopped rebooting. I'm attributing this to the battery going south. I just replaced the uPS with a CyperPower 1500 KVA unit. I'll put the TV on a separate surge suppressor. I now have two Tivos, with the router, AT&T micro cell and modem on the UPS.
The battery going bad should not make the UPS reboot. That would be something wrong with the circuitry. I've run a bunch of UPSs with bad batteries and the only time there was an issue was when the power went out. The UPs would only supply power for a short time and then shut off. The only time I've had a UPS reboot is from the internal components going bad.
I replaced around twenty batteries in my UPSs last year since they were all many years old. And were not giving me the runtime they used too.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #317
Dan203
Super Moderator

There are actually two kinds of UPSes. Active and passive. Most of them are the passive kind that detect when the power goes out and switches to the battery in a few nanoseconds. Those kind are not effected by a bad battery unless the power is cut. Active UPSes however always feed power from the battery and then constantly recharge from the A/C, similar to a laptop. These can start putting out bad power if the battery starts to die, which can in turn effect the connected devices.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #318
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

Get a UPS!
I have a home cable amp so for that to work for me I would need a UPS in the cellar, I have the standby auto natural gas general set to a 16 sec start time, and I don't use any UPS supplies except on my main computer, never been a problem, at least for me as the TiVo is designed to withstand a power interruption and I would guess that most of the TiVos in the USA are not on any UPS supplies except for people on this forum. Someday I may regret not having 15 UPS units on all my electronics.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #319
JWhites

Quote:

Usually when the battery dies, it just holds up the equipment less and less time until it just stops holding things up. And most of them will shut off and just stay off in such a condition. My higher end units will perform a battery load test every week and if it doesn't pass, it will alarm with a warning, giving time to replace the battery before it completely fails.
Yup. Regarding the cycling, the only thing that comes to mind would be if it was overloaded, but if that was the case there's usually an alarm and it won't power on at all.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #320
brianric

Quote:
The battery going bad should not make the UPS reboot. That would be something wrong with the circuitry. I've run a bunch of UPSs with bad batteries and the only time there was an issue was when the power went out. The UPs would only supply power for a short time and then shut off. The only time I've had a UPS reboot is from the internal components going bad.
I replaced around twenty batteries in my UPSs last year since they were all many years old. And were not giving me the runtime they used too.
No matter, I tossed the UPS after recycling the battery.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #321
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Yup. Regarding the cycling, the only thing that comes to mind would be if it was overloaded, but if that was the case there's usually an alarm and it won't power on at all.
Less than 100 watts on a 900 watt unit is not overloading the UPS.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #322
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
never been a problem, at least for me as the TiVo is designed to withstand a power interruption
It is not designed to withstand power interruption any more than any other computer is. It might be fine for quite some time, but it might also trash the filesystem eventually. And it is not good for the circuitry. And it certainly is annoying to lose recordings or chunks of recordings with every slight power blip.

A $50 UPS is all it takes.

In my case, I have a nicer $300 UPS, and it covers everything of importance, since everything is nearby.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #323
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
The My Shows screen is just the new name for Now Playing.
Now Playing/Now Showing/My Shows

Dang, can't they just pick one and stick with it?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #324
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Now Playing/Now Showing/My Shows

Dang, can't they just pick one and stick with it?
They missed out not choosing a name they could trademark like "Season Pass".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #325
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
It seems like a shortcut to the same information located in the bar at the top of the screen in the pic above. Would that be correct?
The bar at the top is partly where the idea for "What to Watch Now" came from. It goes beyond that, though, and is aligned with the feature on the iOS app that showed up recently.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #326
JWhites

Quote:
It is not designed to withstand power interruption any more than any other computer is. It might be fine for quite some time, but it might also trash the filesystem eventually. And it is not good for the circuitry. And it certainly is annoying to lose recordings or chunks of recordings with every slight power blip.

In my case, I have a nicer $300 UPS, and it covers everything of importance, since everything is nearby.
I think it could also be one of the causes of premature power supply failures with the sags and surges that sometimes come with the switching over to generator?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #327
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
They missed out not choosing a name they could trademark like "Season Pass".
Here are all the current registered trademarks. http://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/poli...e_US_FINAL.pdf and for other countries: http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/resour...trademark.html

I'm surprised by the vastness of what TiVo has trademarked, even down to the sounds.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #328
lessd

Quote:

A computer is much different as the drive could be writing when the power goes off and the data file may get trashed, no so with a TiVo, I turn my TiVo off at 4am each day and back on at 5pm (by a timer) never had any problem, I don't record anything in the off period. Been doing this for years so I would assume I would have found some problem in all this time if turning a TiVo off could cause a problem.
Some people like a belt and suspenders, no problem doing things that way, if it makes you feel better, that in itself is a good reason to do what your doing.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #329
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
You need binoculars to see just how many tuners are recording. Not that with SIX it make much difference.
True. I mean at least with the Premiere there was a light for each recording.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:03 AM   #330
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
It's the cute cartoony one that has the TiVo man walking through various decades and eventually stepping out onto a stage with a classic rolled background behind him. I've seen it before... it's not entirely new, if any part of it is new.

OK, searched out the standard Premiere opening, and it's identical up till the end in how the TiVo man exits walking through the decades of entertainment.
What about any Welcome videos for the Roamio? On my Premieres there was a 2 minute video already on the hard drive with people sitting on a couch with a black background talking to users about why they love their TiVo. There was also several TiVo Tour videos that would automatically download back in 2010. Sadly that hasn't occurred on my Premieres I purchased this year. Also there is this really cool video I was able to download on my Premieres and I found it on YouTube too!