TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
y2jdmbfan

Remove sold TiVo boxes from website...

Guys,

I have two old boxes with lifetime that I no longer own listed in my account info page. How can I get rid of these?

Thanks,

Y2J
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

You can't get rid of them, they'll be listed there forever.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
buscuitboy

I had this with a lifetimed Series 2 I sold on ebay. To this day, its STILL listed under my account. Even though I authorized it to be moved from my account, I was told the new owner has to "claim" it. They never have.

However, in all honesty, it has sort of helped me out. I was able to get a $99 lifetime offer for a Series 3 HD box since I had mutiple TiVos on my account including this Series 2 (or at least that is what the rep said).

Now, I did also go into my account and disable all "video sharing" and "enable video downloads" for this Series 2 as it was suggested on this forum. This way the new owner can't possibly purchase anything with this DVR (or at least until they claim it to their own account).

It was also suggested here to just set up a totally new online TiVO account and then move the TiVO in question over to it. I suppose That is another possible route.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
However, in all honesty, it has sort of helped me out. I was able to get a $99 lifetime offer for a Series 3 HD box since I had mutiple TiVos on my account including this Series 2 (or at least that is what the rep said).
How do you get that kind of deal? Just call up customer support and ask for it?
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I had this with a lifetimed Series 2 I sold on ebay. To this day, its STILL listed under my account. Even though I authorized it to be moved from my account, I was told the new owner has to "claim" it. They never have.

Now, I did also go into my account and disable all "video sharing" and "enable video downloads" for this Series 2 as it was suggested on this forum. This way the new owner can't possibly purchase anything with this DVR (or at least until they claim it to their own account).

It was also suggested here to just set up a totally new online TiVO account and then move the TiVO in question over to it. I suppose That is another possible route.
Tivos that I have sold still show up under My Account. But they don't show up under DVR Preferences which is where you set the Video Sharing options.

And under My Account, I can see the name of the Tivo that the new user is using.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
Tivos that I have sold still show up under My Account. But they don't show up under DVR Preferences which is where you set the Video Sharing options.

And under My Account, I can see the name of the Tivo that the new user is using.
That a problem if the new owner used dirty words to name his TiVo.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Fill their TiVos with nonsense Season Passes and set them all to KUID, they hopefully will call TiVo to get it fixed, and moved to their own account.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
buscuitboy

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
How do you get that kind of deal? Just call up customer support and ask for it?
yea, basically I just called them up and asked for it. On a different occasion, I threatened to cancel an existing Premiere monthly subscription unless I could get a $99 lifetime offer for the Series 3 as well. They went for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Fill their TiVos with nonsense Season Passes and set them all to KUID, they hopefully will call TiVo to get it fixed, and moved to their own account.
Funny cause I have actually thought about attempting this.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I have close to a dozen Tivo's on my account. Only Series 2 and above. I'm not sure what happened to my old Series 1's.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
It is easy to create a new TiVo account and just move the offending TiVo to this account.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

They'll still show up forever. At least in the main list. I've bought several TiVos for family members and then moved them to their own accounts, but I can still see them on my account. I have access to both accounts and can see the same TiVo on both. However on my account I can't rename them, change billing options, etc... I just see them in the list.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
They'll still show up forever. At least in the main list. I've bought several TiVos for family members and then moved them to their own accounts, but I can still see them on my account. I have access to both accounts and can see the same TiVo on both. However on my account I can't rename them, change billing options, etc... I just see them in the list.
Right. I've transferred ownership over the phone with the new buyer during the transaction and they still show up.

I can even see the last 4 digits on the credit card that they use for service.

Does anyone know if the number of sold tivos on your account affect how many times you can use the MSD ?
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think I read somewhere that a single lifetime unit can only be used to purchase 5 MSD lifetime units. But I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
lessd

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that a single lifetime unit can only be used to purchase 5 MSD lifetime units. But I'm not sure how accurate that is.
If you have a full price Lifetime on your TiVo account, you can purchase 5 more Lifetimes at the MSD price, if you then sell the 5 MSD Lifetime TiVos, and they come off your account, (the part of your TiVo account that let you name the TiVo) you can purchase 5 more with MSD. That one reason I keep an old Series 2 Lifetime TiVo on my account as that has full lifetime, I use it in a guest bedroom and I make sure I use in at once every 6 months.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm actually scared I might have to pay for full lifetime on my new Roamio. I sold my two S3 units recently. My Elite and my wife's Premiere were both bought with MSD. I do have one Premiere XL lifetime, but it's sort of a strange case. I had bought a bunch of those $199 lifetime cards back when they discontinued lifetime and sold a bunch of them on eBay for excessive amounts of money. However I held on to one just in case I ever needed it. Well 3 years later I bought the Premiere and tried to use it. However it wouldn't work. I talked to one of my contacts inside TiVo and they fixed the problem for me, but I'm not sure how exactly it's registered in their system. If it was labeled as MSD then I don't have any full lifetime units on my account and will need to pay for full lifetime on the Roamio. I guess we'll see when I get it and try to setup service.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
lessd

Quote:
I'm actually scared I might have to pay for full lifetime on my new Roamio. I sold my two S3 units recently. My Elite and my wife's Premiere were both bought with MSD. I do have one Premiere XL lifetime, but it's sort of a strange case. I had bought a bunch of those $199 lifetime cards back when they discontinued lifetime and sold a bunch of them on eBay for excessive amounts of money. However I held on to one just in case I ever needed it. Well 3 years later I bought the Premiere and tried to use it. However it wouldn't work. I talked to one of my contacts inside TiVo and they fixed the problem for me, but I'm not sure how exactly it's registered in their system. If it was labeled as MSD then I don't have any full lifetime units on my account and will need to pay for full lifetime on the Roamio. I guess we'll see when I get it and try to setup service.
Just use the code PLSR as people are saying it works for a non TiVo purchased unit.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

What does that do, give you $100 off?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #18
lessd

Quote:
What does that do, give you $100 off?
The code PLSR gives you $100 off from the non MSD price, people on this form have reported that it still works with a TiVo that you did not purchase directly from TiVo itself.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Cool thanks. If you use that does it count as MSD? Or does that TiVo then have full lifetime for future MSD discounts? Might be worth using anyway if that's the case.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
That a problem if the new owner used dirty words to name his TiVo.
So go to your account and change the name back on the website. As long as it's in your account, you have full control over its name.

Change it something like "Please Call TiVo" or something.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
lessd

Quote:
Cool thanks. If you use that does it count as MSD? Or does that TiVo then have full lifetime for future MSD discounts? Might be worth using anyway if that's the case.
Using the code PLSR I would assume but don't know for sure, would just give you a MSD TiVo.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #22
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
So go to your account and change the name back on the website. As long as it's in your account, you have full control over its name.

You can still see TiVos in your web account even after they have been moved to a new account and you are no longer able to change the name.

For example I just sold a S3 unit and the guy moved it to his account but I still see a TiVo called "Gammy" in my list when I log into my account on TiVo.com.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post

The only way for the new owner to name the tivo is to have it on their account. The tivo will always be listed on the original owners account but not as an active tivo, therefore, no access to it.