TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #991
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
this reminds me of the guy on this board, i cant remember his name, that in one thread he was complaining how poor he is and he cant afford doctors or what not, but then in numerous other threads, he buys cell phones, juicers, beds and what not. i remember his avi, guy with a beard who i think lives in the woods.

__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #992
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,442
Best Buy is now allowing you to add to cart the Plus model for those interested. It still shows backordered and set to ship 1-2 weeks. I would guess they should have stock soon though so it probably won't be that long.

Amazon is showing back in stock 8/22 or tomorrow.
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #993
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Amazon is showing back in stock 8/22 or tomorrow.
To clarify, those will be DVR's sold by Weaknees, not Amazon. If you're wanting to take advantage of Prime shipping, Amazon still shows 1-3 weeks until more stock arrives.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #994
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
To clarify, those will be DVR's sold by Weaknees, not Amazon. If you're wanting to take advantage of Prime shipping, Amazon still shows 1-3 weeks until more stock arrives.
And you can get a discount by ordering directly from Weaknees instead of through Amazon with the codes someone mentioned.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #995
lessd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 5,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And you can get a discount by ordering directly from Weaknees instead of through Amazon with the codes someone mentioned.
I did and the TR-6 shipped tonight, with $25 off and no tax.

My abbreviation for the new Roamio TiVos

Roamio basic with 4 tuners TR-4

Roamio Plus with 6 tuners and a 1Tb drive TR-6

Roamio Pro with 6 tuners and a 3Tb drive TR-6P
__________________
Les Daniels

_____________________________________________
3 Roamio Plus upgraded to 2Tb & 3Tb, and 2 Minis, Also 1 not used Humax Series 2 with a DVD burner
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #996
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Crap!!!! $600?!?!?

Is the only difference between the Plus and the Pro the 3TB drive? if so I hope someone figures out how to expand it quickly. Because if they are the same, I'm not paying $200 for an extra 2TB. Not when I just picked up several 3TB drives for $110 each. And the last 2TB drive I picked up earlier this Summer was only $70.
Yeah, and once you add service to it so it, you know, actually works, it's $1100!!!! The Premiere XL4 was $900, this is getting kind of insane, even though it looks like it's finally the box that the Premiere should have been.

I'm going to be jealous of this when I go back downstairs and watch TV in the fall. Right now, I've only been using the Minis in the kitchen and my room, and they are zippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
I'm very disappointed that the larger units don't do OTA. That is really what I was waiting for. And if the smallest unit can't take a 1 TB drive, I'm really going to be annoyed. I simply wanted a 6 tuner model that allowed me the option of dropping cable. This bites.
It's tough to see the use case for 6 tuners if you basically only have 5 channels, 4 of which are terrible. Of course you can put a 1TB in there. Even if it's a thin 2.5" drive (unlikely), those are coming soon in 1.5TB from HGST (I'm getting one for the storage drive on my MBP to complement my new 500GB Samsung 840 series SSD).
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #997
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,224
And for those of you hemming and hawing over space, just remember you can NEVER have too much space! Even if you're good about DVR management, you'll run into times like the Olympics where you'll want to suck down hundreds upon hundreds of hours of HD video, 3-4 channels at a time.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #998
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post

It's tough to see the use case for 6 tuners if you basically only have 5 channels, 4 of which are terrible.

You must be stuck in time with analog OTA.

Now that OTA has gone digital, there are a lot more channels. I grant you that most of them are crap and/or Spanish oriented, but it's not just the big 3 any longer.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #999
tomhorsley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 608
And if you arrange some copper wires in a special pattern and connect them to your TV, you can usually get a lot more channels OTA, like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/...a/antenna.html
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #1000
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

You must be stuck in time with analog OTA.

Now that OTA has gone digital, there are a lot more channels. I grant you that most of them are crap and/or Spanish oriented, but it's not just the big 3 any longer.
There's the big 4 and PBS. There are a couple of actual channels that are junk, and then the rest is all subchannels, which are really junk, and are horrible quality SD, since they're overcompressed. I wish subchannels would die so that we could go back to the 19mbps feeds!
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #1001
b_scott
TiVo Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
And for those of you hemming and hawing over space, just remember you can NEVER have too much space! Even if you're good about DVR management, you'll run into times like the Olympics where you'll want to suck down hundreds upon hundreds of hours of HD video, 3-4 channels at a time.
lol no i won't.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #1002
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
lol no i won't.
So you don't bother watching the Olympics? Why do you even have a TiVo? Just go back in your dark little corner where you came from.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1003
HarperVision
Registered User
 
HarperVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 941
Wow so the only reason to own a TiVo now is to watch and record the Olympics?........who knew!!!
__________________
Dave Harper
Director, Event Technology
ISF, CTS
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #1004
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr
 
dswallow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Long Branch, NJ, USA
Posts: 48,702
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
So you don't bother watching the Olympics? Why do you even have a TiVo? Just go back in your dark little corner where you came from.
I suspect there's gonna be a whole lot of people who won't watch or record the Olympics in Russia next year.
__________________
¯\_(ツ)_/¯****************
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #1005
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,334
I don't really watch sports of any kind. I still find plenty of use for my TiVo.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #1006
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cox Cable Market, NV
Posts: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Wow so the only reason to own a TiVo now is to watch and record the Olympics?........who knew!!!
I think there are a few who won't admit to it, but do watch the figure skating to watch for "wardrobe malfunctions" or failure of wardrobe to keep some female bits contained/covered. I suppose some of those won't record it, but will wait for the YouTube out-takes.
__________________
Cisco tuning adapters should never be used inline (using the TA coax OUT port) to connect a TiVo, if MoCA is in use. Use a splitter w/PoE filter on leg to TA, use other leg for the TiVo. Enjoy!
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #1007
tomhorsley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 608
I used to try and watch the olympics, but the only thing I really wanted to see was events like downhill racing and ski jumping. The broadcasters know this, so they subject you to interminable blather about other events and up close and personal interviews with the 2nd cousin of the mother of one of the figure skater's costume designers, and after every one of these segments they end with "coming up, downhill racing". Once I finally figured out that "coming up" is TV broadcaster speak for "when hell freezes over", I totally abandoned trying to watch olympics.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #1008
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User
 
crxssi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't really watch sports of any kind. I still find plenty of use for my TiVo.
You are not alone. I don't watch any sports of any type. But there is a lot of other stuff I don't watch, also. It is amazing how little on cable actually interests me.
__________________
Series 1-> Series 2-> DirecTiVo HD-> TiVo HD-> Premiere -> Roamio Pro
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1009
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't really watch sports of any kind. I still find plenty of use for my TiVo.
+1
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #1010
series5orpremier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 79
The Olympics were exciting in the 60s and 70s but since then the training has become so systematic that they're effectively professionals, some already paid handsomely or performing for big contracts. The athletes are less relatable and less sympathetic characters while the networks spend more time on filler and manufactured drama like every other reality show. No thanks.

With the Cold War there was also a serious political subtext to the whole thing but now it's like who cares.

Last edited by series5orpremier : 08-27-2013 at 09:07 PM.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #1011
wco81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 243
I watch a lot of sports but live, not recorded.

But have no problems filling up DVRs with non-sports content.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #1012
brianric
Registered User
 
brianric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pennsville, NJ
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't really watch sports of any kind. I still find plenty of use for my TiVo.
Ditto.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #1013
TheWizz
Registered User
 
TheWizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 33
I was going to order my Roamio Pro and Minis from Amazon.com, however, I live in Houston Texas area and they charge sales tax anyway and Amazon showed they weren't ready to ship for a few days, so... I just ordered direct from Tivo for the "free" shipping. I ordered them on a Thursday afternoon and they arrived at my door the next day! I believe Tivo has a distro point in the DFW area. Overnight for free isn't bad.
TheWizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #1014
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I suspect there's gonna be a whole lot of people who won't watch or record the Olympics in Russia next year.
Actually that's true. It's an unfortunate situation that it's in a country with no regards for human rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I used to try and watch the olympics, but the only thing I really wanted to see was events like downhill racing and ski jumping. The broadcasters know this, so they subject you to interminable blather about other events and up close and personal interviews with the 2nd cousin of the mother of one of the figure skater's costume designers, and after every one of these segments they end with "coming up, downhill racing". Once I finally figured out that "coming up" is TV broadcaster speak for "when hell freezes over", I totally abandoned trying to watch olympics.
You do realize this is the TiVo forum, right? You can record and FF the junk and watch pieces 3+ hours of video in 30 minutes or less. That's why TiVo is so great for the Olympics. Watch a bit here and there, and FF the rest.

If you don't watch the Olympics, don't bother with cable. You clearly don't like TV at all!
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #1015
tomhorsley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
You do realize this is the TiVo forum, right? You can record and FF the junk
You do realize it would take hours just to FF past the junk to the one thing you want to see that happened at some random time during the broadcast?
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1016
wco81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
You do realize it would take hours just to FF past the junk to the one thing you want to see that happened at some random time during the broadcast?
You know what the next advance in DVRs would be?

Index recordings so that you can skip to specific points. If there's some way for broadcasts to send signals or data corresponding to specific time indices.

Of course they don't like that you can already skip commercials so the networks won't cooperate. But if they allowed the community to create and share indices that you can download and use when playing back recordings.

The indices wouldn't be available when the show first airs. But for on demand recordings or perhaps some East Coast viewer creates indices for some show and a West Coast viewer loads that index while viewing.

Even better, a lot of DVR viewers don't see recordings for a day or two so many could benefit.

Even better, for the service fees that Tivo collects, they could be making the indexes and have software that detects what recordings you have and download the index for that show.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #1017
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,895
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
You do realize it would take hours just to FF past the junk to the one thing you want to see that happened at some random time during the broadcast?
I usually use "skip to tick" and go in 15 minute intervals. You can narrow it down pretty quickly that way.
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #1018
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
You know what the next advance in DVRs would be?

Index recordings so that you can skip to specific points. If there's some way for broadcasts to send signals or data corresponding to specific time indices.

Of course they don't like that you can already skip commercials so the networks won't cooperate. But if they allowed the community to create and share indices that you can download and use when playing back recordings.

The indices wouldn't be available when the show first airs. But for on demand recordings or perhaps some East Coast viewer creates indices for some show and a West Coast viewer loads that index while viewing.

Even better, a lot of DVR viewers don't see recordings for a day or two so many could benefit.

Even better, for the service fees that Tivo collects, they could be making the indexes and have software that detects what recordings you have and download the index for that show.


Better yet crowd based ticks. Where your friends can send you tick marks. For example you could skip directly to Miley on the VMAs.

In this forum we are constantly referring to events on shows. It would be cool to publish our favorite timestamps and have Tivo automatically merge them into recordings when playing.

And lets add Social OnDemand folders to that as well.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #1019
b_scott
TiVo Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: chicago, il
Posts: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
So you don't bother watching the Olympics? Why do you even have a TiVo? Just go back in your dark little corner where you came from.
huh? Some people don't care about the Olympics. Especially this year with the Russians being bigots.

Is the Olympics the only reason you have one? Surely you watch other shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
If you don't watch the Olympics, don't bother with cable. You clearly don't like TV at all!
OK now I know you're trolling.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #1020
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I usually use "skip to tick" and go in 15 minute intervals. You can narrow it down pretty quickly that way.
One issue with doing that for Olymic coverage is that as recordings get longer the tick interval increases.

I think by the time you get to a 9 hour long olympics recording the tick interval is up to 45 minutes apart. That makes it much easier to accidently skip right past something you're interested in. (If it's an event that they keep cutting to for short streches)
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite
Jonathan_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |