TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #991
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
this reminds me of the guy on this board, i cant remember his name, that in one thread he was complaining how poor he is and he cant afford doctors or what not, but then in numerous other threads, he buys cell phones, juicers, beds and what not. i remember his avi, guy with a beard who i think lives in the woods.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #992
innocentfreak

Best Buy is now allowing you to add to cart the Plus model for those interested. It still shows backordered and set to ship 1-2 weeks. I would guess they should have stock soon though so it probably won't be that long.

Amazon is showing back in stock 8/22 or tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #993
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Amazon is showing back in stock 8/22 or tomorrow.
To clarify, those will be DVR's sold by Weaknees, not Amazon. If you're wanting to take advantage of Prime shipping, Amazon still shows 1-3 weeks until more stock arrives.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #994
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
To clarify, those will be DVR's sold by Weaknees, not Amazon. If you're wanting to take advantage of Prime shipping, Amazon still shows 1-3 weeks until more stock arrives.
And you can get a discount by ordering directly from Weaknees instead of through Amazon with the codes someone mentioned.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #995
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And you can get a discount by ordering directly from Weaknees instead of through Amazon with the codes someone mentioned.
I did and the TR-6 shipped tonight, with $25 off and no tax.

My abbreviation for the new Roamio TiVos

Roamio basic with 4 tuners TR-4

Roamio Plus with 6 tuners and a 1Tb drive TR-6

Roamio Pro with 6 tuners and a 3Tb drive TR-6P

Old 08-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #996
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Crap!!!! $600?!?!?

Is the only difference between the Plus and the Pro the 3TB drive? if so I hope someone figures out how to expand it quickly. Because if they are the same, I'm not paying $200 for an extra 2TB. Not when I just picked up several 3TB drives for $110 each. And the last 2TB drive I picked up earlier this Summer was only $70.
Yeah, and once you add service to it so it, you know, actually works, it's $1100!!!! The Premiere XL4 was $900, this is getting kind of insane, even though it looks like it's finally the box that the Premiere should have been.

I'm going to be jealous of this when I go back downstairs and watch TV in the fall. Right now, I've only been using the Minis in the kitchen and my room, and they are zippy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
I'm very disappointed that the larger units don't do OTA. That is really what I was waiting for. And if the smallest unit can't take a 1 TB drive, I'm really going to be annoyed. I simply wanted a 6 tuner model that allowed me the option of dropping cable. This bites.
It's tough to see the use case for 6 tuners if you basically only have 5 channels, 4 of which are terrible. Of course you can put a 1TB in there. Even if it's a thin 2.5" drive (unlikely), those are coming soon in 1.5TB from HGST (I'm getting one for the storage drive on my MBP to complement my new 500GB Samsung 840 series SSD).
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #997
Bigg

And for those of you hemming and hawing over space, just remember you can NEVER have too much space! Even if you're good about DVR management, you'll run into times like the Olympics where you'll want to suck down hundreds upon hundreds of hours of HD video, 3-4 channels at a time.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #998
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post

It's tough to see the use case for 6 tuners if you basically only have 5 channels, 4 of which are terrible.

You must be stuck in time with analog OTA.

Now that OTA has gone digital, there are a lot more channels. I grant you that most of them are crap and/or Spanish oriented, but it's not just the big 3 any longer.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #999
tomhorsley

And if you arrange some copper wires in a special pattern and connect them to your TV, you can usually get a lot more channels OTA, like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/...a/antenna.html
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #1000
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

You must be stuck in time with analog OTA.

Now that OTA has gone digital, there are a lot more channels. I grant you that most of them are crap and/or Spanish oriented, but it's not just the big 3 any longer.
There's the big 4 and PBS. There are a couple of actual channels that are junk, and then the rest is all subchannels, which are really junk, and are horrible quality SD, since they're overcompressed. I wish subchannels would die so that we could go back to the 19mbps feeds!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #1001
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
And for those of you hemming and hawing over space, just remember you can NEVER have too much space! Even if you're good about DVR management, you'll run into times like the Olympics where you'll want to suck down hundreds upon hundreds of hours of HD video, 3-4 channels at a time.
lol no i won't.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #1002
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
lol no i won't.
So you don't bother watching the Olympics? Why do you even have a TiVo? Just go back in your dark little corner where you came from.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1003
HarperVision

Wow so the only reason to own a TiVo now is to watch and record the Olympics?........who knew!!!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #1004
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
So you don't bother watching the Olympics? Why do you even have a TiVo? Just go back in your dark little corner where you came from.
I suspect there's gonna be a whole lot of people who won't watch or record the Olympics in Russia next year.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #1005
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't really watch sports of any kind. I still find plenty of use for my TiVo.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #1006
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Wow so the only reason to own a TiVo now is to watch and record the Olympics?........who knew!!!
I think there are a few who won't admit to it, but do watch the figure skating to watch for "wardrobe malfunctions" or failure of wardrobe to keep some female bits contained/covered. I suppose some of those won't record it, but will wait for the YouTube out-takes.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #1007
tomhorsley

I used to try and watch the olympics, but the only thing I really wanted to see was events like downhill racing and ski jumping. The broadcasters know this, so they subject you to interminable blather about other events and up close and personal interviews with the 2nd cousin of the mother of one of the figure skater's costume designers, and after every one of these segments they end with "coming up, downhill racing". Once I finally figured out that "coming up" is TV broadcaster speak for "when hell freezes over", I totally abandoned trying to watch olympics.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #1008
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't really watch sports of any kind. I still find plenty of use for my TiVo.
You are not alone. I don't watch any sports of any type. But there is a lot of other stuff I don't watch, also. It is amazing how little on cable actually interests me.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #1009
atmuscarella

Quote:
+1
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #1010
series5orpremier

The Olympics were exciting in the 60s and 70s but since then the training has become so systematic that they're effectively professionals, some already paid handsomely or performing for big contracts. The athletes are less relatable and less sympathetic characters while the networks spend more time on filler and manufactured drama like every other reality show. No thanks.

With the Cold War there was also a serious political subtext to the whole thing but now it's like who cares.

Last edited by series5orpremier : 08-27-2013 at 09:07 PM.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #1011
wco81

I watch a lot of sports but live, not recorded.

But have no problems filling up DVRs with non-sports content.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #1012
brianric

Quote:
Ditto.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #1013
TheWizz

I was going to order my Roamio Pro and Minis from Amazon.com, however, I live in Houston Texas area and they charge sales tax anyway and Amazon showed they weren't ready to ship for a few days, so... I just ordered direct from Tivo for the "free" shipping. I ordered them on a Thursday afternoon and they arrived at my door the next day! I believe Tivo has a distro point in the DFW area. Overnight for free isn't bad.
TheWizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #1014
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I suspect there's gonna be a whole lot of people who won't watch or record the Olympics in Russia next year.
Actually that's true. It's an unfortunate situation that it's in a country with no regards for human rights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I used to try and watch the olympics, but the only thing I really wanted to see was events like downhill racing and ski jumping. The broadcasters know this, so they subject you to interminable blather about other events and up close and personal interviews with the 2nd cousin of the mother of one of the figure skater's costume designers, and after every one of these segments they end with "coming up, downhill racing". Once I finally figured out that "coming up" is TV broadcaster speak for "when hell freezes over", I totally abandoned trying to watch olympics.
You do realize this is the TiVo forum, right? You can record and FF the junk and watch pieces 3+ hours of video in 30 minutes or less. That's why TiVo is so great for the Olympics. Watch a bit here and there, and FF the rest.

If you don't watch the Olympics, don't bother with cable. You clearly don't like TV at all!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #1015
tomhorsley

Quote:
You do realize this is the TiVo forum, right? You can record and FF the junk
You do realize it would take hours just to FF past the junk to the one thing you want to see that happened at some random time during the broadcast?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1016
wco81

Quote:
You do realize it would take hours just to FF past the junk to the one thing you want to see that happened at some random time during the broadcast?
You know what the next advance in DVRs would be?

Index recordings so that you can skip to specific points. If there's some way for broadcasts to send signals or data corresponding to specific time indices.

Of course they don't like that you can already skip commercials so the networks won't cooperate. But if they allowed the community to create and share indices that you can download and use when playing back recordings.

The indices wouldn't be available when the show first airs. But for on demand recordings or perhaps some East Coast viewer creates indices for some show and a West Coast viewer loads that index while viewing.

Even better, a lot of DVR viewers don't see recordings for a day or two so many could benefit.

Even better, for the service fees that Tivo collects, they could be making the indexes and have software that detects what recordings you have and download the index for that show.
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #1017
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I usually use "skip to tick" and go in 15 minute intervals. You can narrow it down pretty quickly that way.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #1018
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
You know what the next advance in DVRs would be?

Index recordings so that you can skip to specific points. If there's some way for broadcasts to send signals or data corresponding to specific time indices.

Of course they don't like that you can already skip commercials so the networks won't cooperate. But if they allowed the community to create and share indices that you can download and use when playing back recordings.

The indices wouldn't be available when the show first airs. But for on demand recordings or perhaps some East Coast viewer creates indices for some show and a West Coast viewer loads that index while viewing.

Even better, a lot of DVR viewers don't see recordings for a day or two so many could benefit.

Even better, for the service fees that Tivo collects, they could be making the indexes and have software that detects what recordings you have and download the index for that show.

Better yet crowd based ticks. Where your friends can send you tick marks. For example you could skip directly to Miley on the VMAs.

In this forum we are constantly referring to events on shows. It would be cool to publish our favorite timestamps and have Tivo automatically merge them into recordings when playing.

And lets add Social OnDemand folders to that as well.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #1019
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
huh? Some people don't care about the Olympics. Especially this year with the Russians being bigots.

Is the Olympics the only reason you have one? Surely you watch other shows.

Quote:
If you don't watch the Olympics, don't bother with cable. You clearly don't like TV at all!
OK now I know you're trolling.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #1020
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I usually use "skip to tick" and go in 15 minute intervals. You can narrow it down pretty quickly that way.
One issue with doing that for Olymic coverage is that as recordings get longer the tick interval increases.

I think by the time you get to a 9 hour long olympics recording the tick interval is up to 45 minutes apart. That makes it much easier to accidently skip right past something you're interested in. (If it's an event that they keep cutting to for short streches)