JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #32
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
But a lot of people still like him.
Just like they like the Olive Garden.
The same people think the best Chinese restaurant is PF Chang's.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
Bob Coxner

I don't care for Leno as a comedian but here's an interesting letter from a member of The Presidents music group. It comes from The Lefsetz Letter music blog:

Subject: Re: Another Leno comment

Bob,

The Presidents were on Leno a few times in the mid 1990s. Every time we were on the show, Jay came to our dressing room -- alone, with fruit basket or other gift in hand -- to introduce himself and chat for a little while during the long hours between arrival and taping. We were also free to wander around the set as we pleased. I recall playing frisbee in the glorious LA winter sun (glorious if you're from Seattle) in the parking lot next to one of Jay's crazy cars.

The set felt like a warm, friendly and welcoming place, not typical for a TV or film production environment.

Contrast this with a visit to Letterman, where guests are sequestered in a tiny green room far from the stage for hours before taping, then held after the end of taping in another green room immediately adjacent to the stage while the halls are cleared after the show so Dave doesn't have to even see any of his guests, much less interact with them.

I didn't meet a lot people in the entertainment business willing to do what Jay did every time we visited his show, which was to take a minute to say hello and have a very human and real interaction.

Dave

BTW, if you're into music in the slightest then I highly recommend the blog: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
MikeCC
TiVotee

Dave certainly has been funny, and does have an acerbic slant to things that is in stark contrast to Jay's way of interviewing.

I thought at first that was just the television-persona each had created.

Dave's acerbic slant to things can come off as smug and sanctimonious, sometimes. I gotta admit, I have found how he treats some guests as fairly rude at times.

Jay is very different. He comes across as less confrontational.

While some folks may find Jay's style as an interviewer as boring, he does tend to make guests feel more relaxed. And apparently, a large segment of the viewing public like an interviewer who seems like a guy they'd like chatting with themselves.

Now, with the letter from The Presidents music group that poster Bob Coxner reprinted, it seems like Jay Leno is genuinely interested in making his guests feel welcome. It ain't just an act.

Different styles. But Leno seems like an honestly nice person.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
MikeMar
Go Pats

The last night talk shows I watched was when Craig Killbourne was on, I used to watch every ep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #36
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
... Jay is very different. He comes across as less confrontational.
Not sure that Hugh Grant nor Kanye West would agree with that ...

But I agree with your premise that Leno comes across as a softer, gentler character than Letterman. But Dave seems to be a quicker wit than Jay.

I would like to see them eventually patch up their former friendship. Like Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
The last night talk shows I watched was when Craig Killbourne was on, I used to watch every ep.
I recall watching Kilborne doing The Daily Show. I thought it was funny, but Craig seemed pretty smarmy with an apparently extremely inflated ego. The Daily Show has been completely transformed since Jon Stewart took over, making Kilborne's tenure a faint memory. I saw only a couple of episodes of Greg Kinnear's version of The Daily Show prior to Kilborne, which was another completely different incarnation of the show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #37
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Although Kilbourne could sometimes come across as smarmy, as mentioned in a previous post, I used to really like his interviews. Not that he asked any probing questions or anything; only that he somehow had a knack for getting the guests to just be themselves. I often got the a feeling I were seeing these people's actual personalities; not just their usual "performance persona" you see when they're on Leno, etc.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #38
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Interesting that the video in the OP was in Aug 1991 and Johnny asked him if he could see him doing this another 20 years for a total of 30 years. He laughed hysterically and said, no way. Well, his 30 years would have been in 2011.

Edit: and I guess longer than Carson did it. Hard to believe.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #39
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I recall watching Kilborne doing The Daily Show. I thought it was funny, but Craig seemed pretty smarmy with an apparently extremely inflated ego. The Daily Show has been completely transformed since Jon Stewart took over, making Kilborne's tenure a faint memory. I saw only a couple of episodes of Greg Kinnear's version of The Daily Show prior to Kilborne, which was another completely different incarnation of the show.
Greg Kinnear's Daily Show? Are you sure you're not hallucinating? (Or thinking about "Later" perhaps?)

I realize they are user-generated content, but in a quick search, neither imdb nor wikipedia shows info about Kinnear ever hosting The Daily Show (imdb mentions him twice as a GUEST).

I've made these musings elsewhere, so I'll keep it short: I liked Kilborn on the Daily Show, but the show ITSELF was way different. From *what I remember*, the long segments were much closer to spoofs of things you'd see on 20/20, rather than more politically oriented stuff as you see now… Plus a *little* bit of topical news stuff. I remember even FFing the long segments often (and I think a comment of mine to that effect was published in the Late Show News e-newsletter), and watching only the equivalent of "Weekend Update".

Nowadays, I watch the entire show, and it's mostly the show being almost entirely different. (Though of course the original creators are still in the credits on every show.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 AM   #40
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Greg Kinnear's Daily Show? Are you sure you're not hallucinating? (Or thinking about "Later" perhaps?)
Sorry, I meant his Late Show.

EDIT: Oh, and I said Kilborn, not Kinnear.

Last edited by Jeeters : 01-15-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #41
mattack

"getreal" mentioned Greg Kinnear's Daily Show. (which doesn't exist)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #42
DougF

I think getreal is talking about that show on E years ago. Was it called "Talk Soup"? Both Kilbourne and Kinnear were on that.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #43
mattack

I don't think so, but the imdb info on talk soup is so wrong I can't trust it.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #44
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
A couple of years back we saw Jay Leno at the Mirage in Vegas. This was 2-3 years ago, and he was still doing "Bill Clinton is horny" jokes, and jokes about how his parents can't use the VCR. He hadn't updated his act in decades.
Thread bump alert!!!

I was just reading the review of his act here in Milwaukee:
http://www.jsonline.com/entertainmen...220765201.html

According to this, he's *still* doing "Clinton is horny" jokes. He's updated them a bit, it seems, as they're now "Clinton is horny and old" jokes.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #45
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Thread bump alert!!!

According to this, he's *still* doing "Clinton is horny" jokes. He's updated them a bit, it seems, as they're now "Clinton is horny and old" jokes.
Does the reviewer know what network Time Warner is blocking?

Quote:
It was one of seemingly hundreds of topics, from recent floods to the NSA scandal to Paris Hilton and Anthony Weiner, ripped from headlines for what was essentially an 80-minute "Tonight Show" monologue.

That might have been thrilling for any diehard "Tonight Show" fan and Time Warner cable subscriber who has been blocked from WTMJ-TV (Channel 4) for a month. But these were largely shallow, safe jokes that drew shallow, mild laughs.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #46
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Does the reviewer know what network Time Warner is blocking?
Time Warner is fighting with *both* CBS, Inc. and Journal Communications, Inc. right now. Stations owned by both firms are blacked out at this time. The CBS fight has been getting more attention nationwide, since their affiliates are in major markets, while Journal Communications owns affiliates in smaller areas, so has been overlooked.

WTMJ-TV is owned by Journal Broadcast Group, and is an NBC affiliate serving the Milwaukee area. Journal Broadcast Group also owns WGBA-TV, the NBC affiliate serving the Green Bay area.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #47
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Thread bump alert!!!

I saw Leno in Vegas back in the 80's. He was VERY funny. Of course, that was a long time ago.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #48
GoPackGo

Everyone agrees that Leno was pretty much the best comedian back then. Like the Louis CK of the time.

Once he got the Tonight Show, and the way that he got it, everything changed.

Last edited by GoPackGo : 08-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #49
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Everyone agrees that Leno was pretty much the best comedian back then.
Even Letterman has said so.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #50
tigercat74
Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Even Howard Stern said Leno was great and he hates Leno.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
tigercat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #51
mattack

Quote:
Even Letterman has said so.
yes, I have said, and maybe even said earlier in the thread, that at the time, I was slightly happy Letterman didn't get the TS, since then we would still get BOTH shows.. But after Jay became permanent host, he just got boring.

Letterman has mellowed out a lot, and some would argue he still does a lot of the same jokes he used to, but I still find him funny, and record/watch it.. (though I'm now only a couple of *weeks* behind, I've started watching them more often -- and I watch on my other recorder faster than
realtime.. May go back to converting it to an audio podcast to listen to on my iphone.. most of the humor is audio, not video, so I get the vast majority of the benefit that way)

But I still record all of the other late night ones (even will start recording Arsenio again), to FF through 99% of and save some musical guests, the few recurring funny bits (even Jay -- headlines & JayWalking).
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #52
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Letterman doesn't do stand up. Jay does 150+ dates of stand up a year in addition to the Tonight Show, which is kind of amazing. He doesn't take time off, ever.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #53
mattack

So? That doesn't mean he's funnier than Letterman.

(Letterman *used* to do standup.)
Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #54
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Letterman doesn't do stand up. Jay does 150+ dates of stand up a year in addition to the Tonight Show, which is kind of amazing. He doesn't take time off, ever.
Even more amazing is that he lives off the money he makes from his stand up gigs and doesn't even touch the multi-million dollar salary he gets from NBC.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #55
jilter
Happy to be here.

I heard a discussion the other day on the radio and they were saying Leno is legendary among other comedians for his stand-up. They were saying it as a positive, I know I was not mis-hearing.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #56
StacieH
betativowho??

I'm going to LA this weekend to visit a friend. We have tickets to see Craig Ferguson tape his show on Monday. As of now, the guests that night are the actor who plays Raj on Big Bang Theory, and Angela Kinsey, who was in the Office.

I just checked who was scheduled for the next day, and one of the guests is Jay Leno. Phew. Glad I dodged that one....hopefully they don't switch guests those two nights!
StacieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #57
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacieH View Post
I just checked who was scheduled for the next day, and one of the guests is Jay Leno. Phew. Glad I dodged that one....hopefully they don't switch guests those two nights!
Thanks for the heads up. Just went in to set it up to record. I'll be curious what Leno has to say on his departure from TV. Even Letterman commented that Leno is still number one in the ratings.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #58
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
I heard a discussion the other day on the radio and they were saying Leno is legendary among other comedians for his stand-up. They were saying it as a positive, I know I was not mis-hearing.
Was legendary.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #59
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

He just stopped developing material based on actual current events. If he worked on that for his standup, I think it would still be good. But he doesn't, for some reason.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #60
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
He just stopped developing material based on actual current events. If he worked on that for his standup, I think it would still be good. But he doesn't, for some reason.
Well, he does current material every night on TV for millions of viewers. So maybe he figures most people who come to his stand-up shows also watch his TV show, so he doesn't want to do them a disservice by telling all the same jokes or jokes about the same subjects they've already heard during his monologues.