TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #271
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Thanks but why would this effect a minimal 2-4Mbps Internet stream?
Perhaps the limitations of your upstream of your internet service? Also, don't forget that if the downstream is running at its limit, it will slow your upstream, and visa-versa. The tests only do one at a time, not concurrently.

Many tests don't accurately reflect what the TRUE speed is once you have been running for three minutes or more. Many post your best result, or make an average. You need to know the sustained speed. Any other data also coming and going at the same time takes away from what your total is (for streaming).

Far too many tests don't even test long enough to give you accurate data.

Also, some routers have a built-in throttle feature to keep you from overloading your upstream, and they get it wrong. I tried it out, and found it was not going to work when I start off with a "Powerboost" 40Mbps up, which settles at less than 10Mbps max total after a minute or three.

On top of that, some ISPs throttle you once the data has already been transmitted, as they can identify the type of traffic, and choose to limit it, so heavy users don't slow down everybody else (or that's what they claim).
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #272
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
if it wasn't for the slow transfer speeds the WDTV Live Hub would be pert near perfect!
I fully agree! I often wish I could hack it to make a DVR out of it.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #273
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post

Perhaps the limitations of your upstream of your internet service? Also, don't forget that if the downstream is running at its limit, it will slow your upstream, and visa-versa. The tests only do one at a time, not concurrently.

Many tests don't accurately reflect what the TRUE speed is once you have been running for three minutes or more. Many post your best result, or make an average. You need to know the sustained speed. Any other data also coming and going at the same time takes away from what your total is (for streaming).

Far too many tests don't even test long enough to give you accurate data.

Also, some routers have a built-in throttle feature to keep you from overloading your upstream, and they get it wrong. I tried it out, and found it was not going to work when I start off with a "Powerboost" 40Mbps up, which settles at less than 10Mbps max total after a minute or three.

On top of that, some ISPs throttle you once the data has already been transmitted, as they can identify the type of traffic, and choose to limit it, so heavy users don't slow down everybody else (or that's what they claim).
I was talking about the exact same conditions for both scenarios with the ONLY difference being using the WDTV Live Hub or the PC Slingplayer 2.0 program. They are both wired to the same gigabit router, an Asus RT-AC666U.

What say you now?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #274
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I was talking about the exact same conditions for both scenarios with the ONLY difference being using the WDTV Live Hub or the PC Slingplayer 2.0 program. They are both wired to the same gigabit router, an Asus RT-AC666U.

What say you now?
I bow-out and wait for somebody else to take a stab at it (for now).
Old 08-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #275
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Ah, now I see what you mean... they did add it at the end of the My Shows list. I've ignored it like I ignore everything else at the end of that list. :|
Everything else in that list (except for the incredibly useless "HD Recordings") can be turned OFF in Settings-> Settings-> Channels-> My Video Providers
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #276
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
No, it [What to Watch] is in the main menu *AND* in "My Shows". It has NO BUSINESS being in "My Shows". It is not "My" choice, and it is not a "Show".

I have ZERO problem with it being on the main menu. And I would have no problem with it being in My Shows *IF WE COULD OPT TO TURN IT OFF" like the other crap they keep shoving in My Shows...
Quote:
Ah, now I see what you mean... they did add it at the end of the My Shows list. I've ignored it like I ignore everything else at the end of that list. :|

Any chance either one of you could post a picture of what you are seeing, and also the My Shows screen? Thanks.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #277
innocentfreak

The My Shows screen is just the new name for Now Playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #278
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
The My Shows screen is just the new name for Now Playing.
That's how it is on my current Premiere. I'm trying to ascertain if within the My Shows screen, there is anything other than the bar across the top of the screen - containing useless information, and taking up additional precious screen real estate.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #279
PaulNEPats

Picked up my Plus today.. Love it so far. Funny thing is I was able to pop in my m card without pairing it. Hbo and all my other premiums are coming in just fine. Fios subscriber here.
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #280
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Any chance either one of you could post a picture of what you are seeing, and also the My Shows screen? Thanks.
My Shows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0525.jpg (43.0 KB, 312 views)
Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #281
cashcow

Thumbs down OTA Problems

I am getting " no signal" when wanting to watch live TV. ...All my channels has been searched and found yet when I click on a channel it sayd " searching no signal" V 52 or V5..

Then I would go back to that channel it it is working...then I search another channel same thing searching no signal..I go back to the other channel same thing no signal V 52 or V 53..then all channels have no signal..

At first I thought it was my area I live in but never anything like this.. I unhooked from my TiVo roamio and just used my TV..did not have that problem.

Has anyone ever have this problem with OTA? if so how do I fix it? is there an update for this or should i call customer service and return it for a new one..it does have a problem keeping a signal with all those tuners
cashcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #282
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow View Post
I am getting " no signal" when wanting to watch live TV. ...All my channels has been searched and found yet when I click on a channel it sayd " searching no signal" V 52 or V5..

Then I would go back to that channel it it is working...then I search another channel same thing searching no signal..I go back to the other channel same thing no signal V 52 or V 53..then all channels have no signal..

At first I thought it was my area I live in but never anything like this.. I unhooked from my TiVo roamio and just used my TV..did not have that problem.

Has anyone ever have this problem with OTA? if so how do I fix it? is there an update for this or should i call customer service and return it for a new one..it does have a problem keeping a signal with all those tuners
Haven't had an issue w/ mine, OTA signals averaging around 72-75 and looks/sounds great.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #283
Rose4uKY

Mine came today and won't even boot up keeps saying welcome starting up and going to a blank screen back and forth and it says no signal. Tivo is shipping me out a new one. I got a brick so now I have to wait a couple more days.. :-( Has this happened to anyone else?

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #284
steve614
what ru lookin at?

That sucks. I think you are the first I've read.
I know it's no consolation, but there is always a dud in anything massed produced. Kind of surprised more people haven't posted about receiving a dud.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #285
innocentfreak

I think I read one other person had the same problem. It is probably a bad hard drive.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #286
Rose4uKY

I know I read about it all the time from other people with other electronics and this is the 1st it's happened to me. But there sending one right out by Friday and I will than send back my Premiere and my non working Roamio. At least I have my Premiere still and my old S3 with Lifetime so I'm not missing shows. I even wanted to hook it up to another TV and my boyfriend was right still didn't work was a waste of time. Would never boot up. Oh well glad those that have theirs like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I know it's no consolation, but there is always a dud in anything massed produced. Kind of surprised more people haven't posted about receiving a dud.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #287
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
I know I read about it all the time from other people with other electronics and this is the 1st it's happened to me. But there sending one right out by Friday and I will than send back my Premiere and my non working Roamio. At least I have my Premiere still and my old S3 with Lifetime so I'm not missing shows. I even wanted to hook it up to another TV and my boyfriend was right still didn't work was a waste of time. Would never boot up. Oh well glad those that have theirs like it.
This gives you more time to watch the shows that are on the Premiere you'd be sending back.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #288
tivogurl

The tuning problems I've been hearing about are more disturbing. Black screens, bad recordings. Supposedly it's because of the current 20.3 OS release.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 AM   #289
Kolenka

So, I ran into an interesting issue with the Roamio after setting it up and attempting to use the stream functionality. I had configured both ethernet and Wifi on the TiVo, and figured things were okay. But when I started getting inconsistent connectivity with the Stream chipset, I tried to disable the Wifi and remove that variable from the equation.

Turns out I really couldn't seem to do it. Once you've configured Wifi, you can only replace the valid configuration with a new valid configuration. Even if you attempt to replace the valid password with a bad one, it will fail to replace it and instead use the valid one you entered earlier.

The flip side is that it does seem to have some sort of "priority" to one connection over the other, but it is very unintuitive to manipulate. A downside to using the existing SDUI which assumes only one type of connection...

In the end, turned out my ethernet cable was at fault. Replacing it with a more recent cable fixed up the connectivity issues, although it worked with the Premiere. It looks like it is a bit pickier with older cables.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #290
JWhites

While on the Premiere and the Roamio highlighted in the My Shows list and the TSN blurred, I'm curious to see what the Roamio icon looks like and how it's identified on the ride side of the screen. For example with a Premiere looking at a Premiere 4, it shows a Premiere icon and "TiVo Premiere Q/4"
Could I trouble you for a pic please?
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 AM   #291
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
My Shows
Thanks for the pic. I now understand what the What to Watch item is. Another folder to clutter up the interface. I think TiVo will never learn what a clean UI should look like.

What's in this folder? Suggestions from what's currently on TV? The internet? Nexflix? Amazon?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #292
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I think I read one other person had the same problem. It is probably a bad hard drive.
Should these really be making it though quality control? I would vote "no".
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #293
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
The tuning problems I've been hearing about are more disturbing. Black screens, bad recordings. Supposedly it's because of the current 20.3 OS release.
Where did you hear this? Do you have a link? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #294
innocentfreak

Quote:
It happens regularly with just bare drives though. On some drives you will easily see a 25% DOA rate.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #295
Kolenka

Quote:
Quality Control for mass produced stuff has always been about random sampling. It is good enough to get failure rates down in the <1% range, assuming shipping doesn't cause the failure rate to climb up, or there isn't some actual design flaw that doesn't show up during the QC tests.

But to squeeze out that last 1% is very expensive. You can't use sampling, which means a lot more time (think 4-10x more time spent testing every device) which translates to lower volumes and/or higher prices. They do this more during pre-production though.

Quote:
Thanks for the pic. I now understand what the What to Watch item is. Another folder to clutter up the interface. I think TiVo will never learn what a clean UI should look like.

What's in this folder? Suggestions from what's currently on TV? The internet? Nexflix? Amazon?
Whatever sources you have turned on usually, with a bias towards TV. No recordings are in it, but it seems like a second way to get at the screen which is also on the main menu. No idea why it even needs to be there.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #296
series5orpremier

Quality control costs money. Welcome to corporatism and the global economy.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #297
Big Boy Laroux

take this with a grain of salt, cause i am coming from a TiVo HD, but... this thing is FAST. good god the responsiveness is amazing. blows my mind.

setup was painless. Luckily I have a motorola cablecard at the proper version, and Comcast direct CC line took only 5 minutes to pair my card with the new TiVo.

I actually really like the new remote. LOVE the remote finder. But i wish it had some basic learning function. Unfortunately I have an Onkyo receiver, so i can only program it with power on (not power off). I hope the new slide remote coming out has some learning (and it BETTER keep the remote finder).
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #298
Rose4uKY

I know but I have all my season passes still hooked up to my S3 which is in our spare bedroom where one of the minis our. I can watch it if I need to on another input but my thing is almost everything on our Premiere is copyrighted all these concert videos from AXS TV that we like Journey and AC/DC and Bon Jovi I wish I could save them. But I am hoping they will be on again.. Hope we get our new Roamio tomorrow she said at least by Friday 2 day cross shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
This gives you more time to watch the shows that are on the Premiere you'd be sending back.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #299
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
My Shows

Quote:
Whatever sources you have turned on usually, with a bias towards TV. No recordings are in it, but it seems like a second way to get at the screen which is also on the main menu. No idea why it even needs to be there.

It seems like a shortcut to the same information located in the bar at the top of the screen in the pic above. Would that be correct?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #300
hangtime79

Initial thoughts:

Loving the Roamio, moved up from Tivo Series 3 that died in July. Absolutely love the speed. No problem on the pairing. My Series 3 had two multi-stream running as single cards. I popped one of the cards, put in the Tivo called TWC, repaired and authorized and away I run. Recordings are coming in great and I love the 6 tuners.

BTW, when I called to turn off the Series 3 month-to-month (sue me, I bought the Lifetime on this box) they did offer a $99 Lifetime for the Series 3 for what its worth.
hangtime79 is offline   Reply With Quote