TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #61
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
If Verizon is using Motorola M Cards, while tuned to one of the problem premium channels, bring up your Conditional Access screen in your CableCard menu and look at the bottom left for Auth:
http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...617/redirect/1
Does it say S? Of is it something else from this list? ...
Great post.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #62
ckelly33

Quote:
If Verizon is using Motorola M Cards, while tuned to one of the problem premium channels, bring up your Conditional Access screen in your CableCard menu and look at the bottom left for Auth:
http://support.tivo.com/ci/fattach/g...617/redirect/1
Does it say S? Of is it something else from this list?

Auth (should say 'S')If this field contains any other value than S, the CableCARD has not received proper authorization for the channel. Possible values include:
PM sent with an off-topic question on this screen.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #63
cram501

As an update, I received a new cable card in the mail from Verizon today. I didn't realize one was coming.

After getting it paired, it looks like my pixelation is gone. It's only been going for about 15 minutes but the picture has been clear.

I'll post how it is going after a few hours.
cram501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #64
Jed1

I just seen this picture from another post:
Highslide JS
I had a similar issue a few years ago and the problem was at the headend due to a problem in receiving the feed from the satellite.
I am not saying this is the issue but HBO and Cinemax come off the same bird.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #65
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Great post.
Thanks! I am trying to help as I hate to see CableCards get a bad rap.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #66
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram501 View Post
As an update, I received a new cable card in the mail from Verizon today. I didn't realize one was coming.

After getting it paired, it looks like my pixelation is gone. It's only been going for about 15 minutes but the picture has been clear.

I'll post how it is going after a few hours.
What is the firmware version of the new card?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #67
cram501

I"m not sure which firmware is which... but

Old had the following:
FW: 02.65
FW*: 06.25

New one only had one entry:
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #68
cram501

Quote:
I just seen this picture from another post:
Highslide JS
I had a similar issue a few years ago and the problem was at the headend due to a problem in receiving the feed from the satellite.
I am not saying this is the issue but HBO and Cinemax come off the same bird.
That is exactly what I was seeing although a more visible picture floated in and out. I know HBO and CINE signals were fine since they worked on the other Tivo's and the FIOS box.

Well.. and the fact it works now.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #69
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I"m not sure which firmware is which... but

Old had the following:
FW: 02.65

New one only had one entry:
The version on your newer card seems to be what at least one other person here (in addition to myself) have been reporting.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 PM   #70
bjheels

I just got off the phone with Verizon activating my new Roamio. Verizon was aware of the macroblocking issue. It took and hour for them to get HBO added back to my account and I am seeing the macroblocking. I sent an email to Margret. I will give it a few days and see if others get the issue resolved. I reused the older M card from my TivoHD.
bjheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #71
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjheels View Post
I just got off the phone with Verizon activating my new Roamio. Verizon was aware of the macroblocking issue. It took and hour for them to get HBO added back to my account and I am seeing the macroblocking. I sent an email to Margret. I will give it a few days and see if others get the issue resolved. I reused the older M card from my TivoHD.
What is the firmware version?
Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 AM   #72
jasbur

I'm able to see my HBO now, but it's still an issue.
My HBO was completely unwatchable with severe macroblocking.
I set 6 things to record on other channels to get all of the tuners off of HBO. Then I stopped the recordings and tune to HBO and it either comes in clear or with much less macroblocking to where it's watchable. After a reboot, HBO is back to completely unwatchable.
I've done this process 4 times, 3 times the image was clear and 1 time there was a small amount of macroblocking,
I don't know why that's working, and it's not acceptable enough for me to keep the Roamio if we don't figure this out.
Anyone else wan't to try it to see if this is a fluke? I haven't tried extended viewing periods yet.
jasbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:58 AM   #73
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

While HBO is macroblocking, has anyone pulled the CableCARD and reinserted it, to see if that temporarily fixes it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #74
Xiidaen

Verizon called me last night to trouble shoot this issue, which surprised me. Most of their efforts were around various ways of resetting the cable card, none of which solved the issue. I was surprised to hear from them without TiVo being on the call but pleased that something was happening...I'll be more pleased when there is a resolution.

They told me they would continue researching and get back to me.

Pulling/resetting the card does not have any impact for me.
Xiidaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #75
bjheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
What is the firmware version?
FW 02.65
FW*06.25

Not sure what this means, but here it is.
bjheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #76
bigguy126

Is there anyone who has FIOS that has HBO/Cinemax and it IS working fine?
I am holding off buying the Roamio till this is resolved.
bigguy126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #77
cram501

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy126 View Post
I originally had the problem. I received a new cable card yesterday and the problem is fixed.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #78
ken0918

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy126 View Post
It's working fine for me.

I don't have the specifics of my Cablecard since I'm at work, but my Roamio Plus is hooked up via Moca through Verizon's router and I'm in Central New Jersey (Mercer county). Everything paired easily enough with a call to Verizon and I was up and running.
ken0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #79
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I originally had the problem. I received a new cable card yesterday and the problem is fixed.
I'm curious if this means it is really a FIOS procedural issue.

Maybe when they re-pair a card they do a different process than when they pair a DIFFERENT cable card.

They did send me 2 new cable cards, but I had no called them to try anything yet since I had sent all of my existing info to Margaret to forward to the TiVo team.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #80
Xiidaen

I originally tried this with three separate cards -- but none of them were new. All three worked in either the S3 or Premier -- all had this macroblock issue on the Roamio.

As part of that process, all three were deleted from my account and added as new cards without result.
Xiidaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #81
cram501

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I'm curious if this means it is really a FIOS procedural issue.

Maybe when they re-pair a card they do a different process than when they pair a DIFFERENT cable card.

They did send me 2 new cable cards, but I had no called them to try anything yet since I had sent all of my existing info to Margaret to forward to the TiVo team.
I don't think it's a procedural problem. I tried 3 cable cards previously multiple times over a couple of hours with Verizon as they tried different things. The cards had been activated and paired properly multiple times.

I think it has something to do with older cable cards. The ones that failed to work on the Roamio with copy protected channels were in my devices for a couple of years. I've sent the information on the good and bad cable cards to Tivo so hopefully that will help.

The older cable cards worked fine in the old Tivos. Hopefully they'll figure it out. It could be the cable cards or some software tweak with the Tivo to use the older ones.

It's pure conjecture on my part since I have no idea on what the problem actually is.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #82
iadbound

Just purchased a Roamio Plus. First time Tivo owner. I also just had FIOS installed yesterday. The Verizon DVRs all worked fine.

I then picked up my Tivo (lucky grab at a Best Buy) and a cablecard from a Verizon store.

When I went through the automated phone activation process, the card activated and all channels worked except, of course, HBO and Cinemax. I didn't get any pixelation issues. Instead, they just didn't work at all.

I called Verizon and suggested they try to "Validate" the card because the "Val" value was showing "?" rather than "V". They went through a bunch of different steps, including multiple chat sessions between the CSR and other departments. After two hours, the card didn't work at all. They created a trouble ticket that would result in an escalation of my problem, but they were not in any hurry at that point. Interestingly, they didn't suggest sending out a new card.

Disappointed with the result, I decided to call back and try another CSR. The new guy, who had never activated a cablecard, managed to get it reactivated. Moreover, after reactivating, he successfully got the Tivo and the card to pair thereby changing the Val value to "V". HBO and Cinemax have worked perfectly since (albeit less than 12 hours). He indicated that he performed a "Reinit" command, which he believed did the trick. He got this all sorted out in about 30 minutes.

FYI -- Attempts at the "Validate" commands all failed because the system complained about the format of the Cablecard ID -- previous tech said it complained about the Data ID.

Now I just to have figure out to really use the Tivo. Seems like it is very powerful, but a detailed manual would be a help to a new user.
iadbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #83
cram501

I had similar problems when getting the 3 cable cards paired multiple times. There is something some of them do that reset/change the data id. Although the card gets validated, it can't get paired since the data id's no longer match.

I started writing it down when I went through the process so when it changed, I could prompt them to reenter the value. That solved a lot of the "activate but not paired" problems I ran into.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #84
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadbound View Post
Now I just to have figure out to really use the Tivo. Seems like it is very powerful, but a detailed manual would be a help to a new user.
They used to send a series of introductory videos. This doesn't seem to be happening with the Roamio. (?)

They also used to include a printed manual. (It's funny the things you don't notice are missing, until others point them out -- first video cables, now a manual. I didn't need these things because I was already familiar with TiVos and was putting the Roamio in place of an S3, so I didn't realize they weren't there.) But printed manuals are pretty passÚ these days, so I usually look for a PDF on the company's site. Unfortunately I'm not seeing that for the Roamio, either. They do still have them for the older models:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...1333/kw/manual

I suggest the Premiere book; it's still mostly applicable to the Roamio. (The link labelled "Viewer's Guide" is the full manual.)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 08-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #85
iadbound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
printed manuals are pretty passÚ these days, so I usually look for a PDF on the company's site. Unfortunately I'm not seeing that for the Roamio, either. They do still have them for the older models:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...1333/kw/manual

I suggest the Premiere book; it's still mostly applicable to the Roamio. (The link labelled "Viewer's Guide" is the full manual.)
Thanks for the link. I was leaning toward your assumption (i.e., that Tivo would have a manual online), but, like you, I didn't see one.

I agree printed manuals are old school, but I don't think a PDF file is too much to ask for in a $399 product.
iadbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #86
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I had similar problems when getting the 3 cable cards paired multiple times. There is something some of them do that reset/change the data id. Although the card gets validated, it can't get paired since the data id's no longer match.

I started writing it down when I went through the process so when it changed, I could prompt them to reenter the value. That solved a lot of the "activate but not paired" problems I ran into.
I remember that I had problems with the data ID changing. I don't remember what was causing it, or the fix either. I really dread when a CC has to be changed paired... It holds me back from buying a new box.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #87
Bramble

Do we know what's causing this yet?

I have Frontier FIOS, so pretty much all the non-locals have the CCI bits set. I moved my old cable card from my Series3 this morning and called to have it repaired, I didn't notice anything initially but after I got home from work I noticed macro-blocking on just every channel with CCI that I've checked. I've checked the Conditional Access Screen, and it does say 'S' for these channels. Pretty much everything is unwatchable.
Bramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #88
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Do we know what's causing this yet?

I have Frontier FIOS, so pretty much all the non-locals have the CCI bits set. I moved my old cable card from my Series3 this morning and called to have it repaired, I didn't notice anything initially but after I got home from work I noticed macro-blocking on just every channel with CCI that I've checked. I've checked the Conditional Access Screen, and it does say 'S' for these channels. Pretty much everything is unwatchable.
You should email Margret. She is looking for emails from anyone who is having this issue with details.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...48#post9786648

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Marget aka TiVoDesign asked for anyone seeing this issue to email her.

Margret @TiVo.com

Email her your TSNs, I would include any TSNs you have tried on and whether you currently see this.

Also describe exactly what you are seeing in your situation and what you have attempted to resolve so they can start researching. The more information the better. I would also include your setup and details similar to what I mentioned above. Is MoCa enabled on the TiVo, is it off? Is MoCa on the router on or off? Does your Premiere on the same cable work? etc. Anything you can think of no matter how insignificant might help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
I'd love to get email from everyone who has a Roamio on FiOS and has HBO.

Please send me your TSN, your city/state/zip, and indicate if HBO is clear or macroblocked.

to: margret@tivo.com subject: "Roamio + FiOS + HBO"

(We are trying to understand if this is regional or not.)

Thanks!
--Margret
While her message states, HBO I would email her since on regular FiOS HBO and Cinemax are the only copy once channels. Since Frontier does everything it would most likely be helpful.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #89
cyberbeach
Mere member

Okay, emailed Margaret:

TSN ***-****-****-****

*******, CA 90***

Roamio Pro, Verizon FIOS (Pomona), HBO & MAX Channels Severe pixelation (not watchable, usually no coherent picture)

Macroblocked

Set up Roamio Pro last night. Moved cable card from XL4 to Roamio. Called activation number - all channels activated automatically, except for HBO which required a call.

HBO came on but is breaking up badly.
HBO was working fine on the XL4 with the same cable card, same connection.
HBO is still working fine on the other XL4 that is still connected in another room.
MAX channels have same issue.
All other channels on the Roamio including other premiums like Showtime are working fine.
Signal strength is 90-95 on all channels including HBO.
I tried changing the Roamio Tivo setup to only use 720p, but that made no difference.
Signal runs to a Sony ES-series receiver (about 5 years old) and Sony flat-screen HX929.

PS: I'm in a jam because I have until Saturday 8/31 to return the XL4 to Amazon.

WIRED .... 2013 RoPro, Minis (FIOS)
RETIRED . 2012 XL4'S, STREAMS, 2009 HD XL's, 2007 HR10-250's, 2002 SAT T60's, 1996 SAT A1's
DESIRED . 2020 Tivo 32K 96fps 3D Holodecks (Verizon-WarnerCast)
cyberbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #90
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

Check your CableCARD part number

We have a theory on this problem with macroblocking/pixelation on Verizon FiOS premium channels.

If you are experiencing this problem please pull out your CableCARD, and look at the part number above the barcode on the back.

If that number is either one of these:
514517-002-00 (MCPOD1)
514517-006-00 (MCPOD2)
we think you'll experience the problem.

We believe CableCARDs with this number:
514517-017-00 (MCPOD3)
will work correctly.

Please let me know ASAP if your experience differs from our expectations. (margret@tivo.com)

Thanks!
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote