TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
bmgoodman

Managing 450 HD hours

So I've heard some stories about "user profiles", though I don't think there's been any official information on that topic. So I'm wondering if there are currently ANY tools on Roamio to help manage 450 HD hours? I'd like to replace 2 Tivos with 1 Roamio, but I'm not sure my wife will want to sift through hundreds of hours of my *junk* to find the pearls that are *her* shows!
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
innocentfreak

Currently no. There was mention of a three column My Shows coming in a future update possibly this year, but no explanation of what that would mean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
PoobBubes

The iPad app helps (at least versus my Premiere UI).
PoobBubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoobBubes View Post
The iPad app helps (at least versus my Premiere UI).
I use the iPad app. How do you feel it's better than the TiVo menu for program organizing? I use iPad to see multiple TiVos, and erase while not at the TiVo. Aside from that, it's still a list of shows.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
monkeydust

I'm don't understand why we haven't gotten the ability to do folders in the last 13 years since Tivo has been around. Doesn't seem like it would be a hard thing to program. But, then again, this is the company that still has SD menus on a HD box...

This is another reason why I'm staying with a 1TB box for now. I really don't see a reason to store that much programming on a Tivo. I watch a show and delete it and am unlikely to watch again (if I do, thats why we have Amazon or Netflix). The only shows we watch over and over are Disney movies for my daughter.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
PoobBubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
I use the iPad app. How do you feel it's better than the TiVo menu for program organizing? I use iPad to see multiple TiVos, and erase while not at the TiVo. Aside from that, it's still a list of shows.
I can scroll down the list of shows much faster than I can waiting on the Premiere UI. I know it's not the same as sorting options, but every little bit helps.
PoobBubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I'm don't understand why we haven't gotten the ability to do folders in the last 13 years since Tivo has been around.
TiVo desperately needs to add the ability to have custom folders (directories) so users can file programs where they want and set season passes to point to directories of their choice. It is not rocket science, I don't know why they haven't done it yet.

I don't know why I bought a "Pro" when a Plus would have been fine, knowing I will NEVER need that much space and organizing that much video will be a nightmare.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoobBubes View Post
I can scroll down the list of shows much faster than I can waiting on the Premiere UI. I know it's not the same as sorting options, but every little bit helps.
Got it. And I agree. When I watch a show on Bedroom TiVo and need to erase of other rooms, the iPad App is what I prefer.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
It is not rocket science, I don't know why they haven't done it yet.
Probably the same reason TiVo hasn't added retry on tuning failures (to ameliorate T/A issues).
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
There was mention of a three column My Shows coming in a future update possibly this year, but no explanation of what that would mean.
I think the 3 column view would allow you to see shows in a group without actually having to go "inside" the group. Should allow for quicker navigation in/out of groups.

I'm still hoping they eventually add some sort of user profile feature. With 6 tuners and 3TB of space this thing just begs for multiple users. But wading through a bunch of crap someone else recorded is no fun for anyone.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm still hoping they eventually add some sort of user profile feature. With 6 tuners and 3TB of space this thing just begs for multiple users. But wading through a bunch of crap someone else recorded is no fun for anyone.
I am just one person. I would much rather see custom folders and recording destinations first. Although after THAT, having profiles would be a good addition
Old 08-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I am just one person. I would much rather see custom folders and recording destinations first. Although after THAT, having profiles would be a good addition
What would profiles give you that custom folders wouldn't?
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't think we'll ever see custom folders. Because the folders on TiVo are not actually folders, they're groups. The same show can appear in multiple groups. For example say you download an episode of a show from Amazon. That same episode will appear in the special Amazon folder, the shows folder and the HD folder. The same thing happens with wish list recordings. I guess they might someday add a way to setup a sepecial group with your own criteria as to what goes into it, but it'll never be like a file system where you can move recordings to custom folders.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
swerver

Groups are fine instead of folders, if they are already doing that then it shouldn't be too much work to add an interface for custom groups. Functionally it provides the same thing folders would, only better since like you said you can tag the same show to be in many groups. For instance, I'd like to add some groups like kids shows, or movies, or dad's stuff that no one else is interested in. Go to the groups ui, multi-select everything I want in the group, then maybe a way to order the groups or hide ones you don't want like HD shows.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
innocentfreak

Quote:
I don't think we'll ever see custom folders. Because the folders on TiVo are not actually folders, they're groups. The same show can appear in multiple groups. For example say you download an episode of a show from Amazon. That same episode will appear in the special Amazon folder, the shows folder and the HD folder. The same thing happens with wish list recordings. I guess they might someday add a way to setup a sepecial group with your own criteria as to what goes into it, but it'll never be like a file system where you can move recordings to custom folders.
That could work if they let you tag shows. This way you could create custom folders for tags such as genres, movie or tv, premiere, reruns, etc.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
swerver

And allow season passes to be tagged in a group too.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

See that seems way too complex and I just don't see that ever happening. I could see them allowing custom groups based on basic criteria already in the data, like genre, but allowing you to manually tag shows or add custom data to effect grouping just doesn't seem like something they would do.

User profiles are much more likely to come to fruition.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
And allow season passes to be tagged in a group too.
Exactly.

It really doesn't matter if they are tags or groups or folders, it is really all the same thing.... as long as the programs will NOT appear as a single endless list.

We should be able to create custom WHATEVER and then be asked on season passes where to place the recordings (or what tag or group or whatever to use).

It is not complex. The UI already supports grouping by show and grouping by the TOTALLY USELESS "HD Recordings" "folder". They just have to, at a minimum, add some code in the SP stuff, and preferably a menu option under each recording that lets you "move" the stuff.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm not talking about how complex it would be to do, I'm talking about how complex it would be for an average Joe Schmoe to actually use. TiVo has never really be a fan of adding geek centric options. I remember at one point they were going to complete revamp the Wish List section to include advanced Boolean search parameters, they even beta tested it briefly, and then the whole thing got scrapped because it was deemed too complicated for the average user to use.

I could see them maybe allowing you to create custom groups based on a few hard coded criteria (i.e. Movies or Dramas) but I doubt we'll ever see anything like you're describing.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I'm not talking about how complex it would be to do, I'm talking about how complex it would be for an average Joe Schmoe to actually use. TiVo has never really be a fan of adding geek centric options. I remember at one point they were going to complete revamp the Wish List section to include advanced Boolean search parameters, they even beta tested it briefly, and then the whole thing got scrapped because it was deemed too complicated for the average user to use.

I could see them maybe allowing you to create custom groups based on a few hard coded criteria (i.e. Movies or Dramas) but I doubt we'll ever see anything like you're describing.
Well, all I can do is hope your expectation is incorrect

I personally think wading through dozens and dozens of screens of programs is very user unfriendly and most people out there understand the concept of folders and grouping (although probably not boolean searching, unfortunately).
Old 08-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

Maybe that's what the rumored 3 pane My Shows will do. Break it down by category, or type, or something so it's not such an unwieldy list.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Maybe that's what the rumored 3 pane My Shows will do. Break it down by category, or type, or something so it's not such an unwieldy list.
Most anything would be an improvement over what we have. Although I would still much rather have control over how things are categorized (as, I suspect, most of the people on these forums would).
Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

edit: Found this in the cnet review...

Quote:
Another new interface feature will be a three-column view of your recordings. Currently in the TiVo interface all of the recordings are kept under My Shows, a single list that's sorted alphabetically or by date. You can group all recordings of one show into one folder, but that's where the organization ends. The new three-column view will allow you to filter recordings by categories like Movies, Kids, and Sports. This feature won't be available immediately for Roamio, but is expected in about six months.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

SO does that mean 1 to 1.5 years?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

If we don't see it as part of the Fall update then who knows. Could be complete vaporware and never show up.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #26
andyw715

I saw HD folder mentioned above. Does the Roamio still have the HD folder?

That thing is silly.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
I saw HD folder mentioned above. Does the Roamio still have the HD folder?

That thing is silly.
Yes
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #28
tomhorsley

Quote:
I'm not talking about how complex it would be to do, I'm talking about how complex it would be for an average Joe Schmoe to actually use.
A lot of Joe Schmoe's seem to like gmail's "labels" feature and can figure out how to use it.

The only problem would be avoiding getting sued by google for the 10,471 patents they probably have on it :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
A lot of Joe Schmoe's seem to like gmail's "labels" feature and can figure out how to use it.
I'm betting the vast majority of Joe Schmoe's don't even know what gmail is.

Don't forget TiVo sells these DVRs to MSOs to, and they have to support all the morons who have a DVR installed by their cable company and can barely figure out which side is up on the remote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #30
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I'm betting the vast majority of Joe Schmoe's don't even know what gmail is.

Don't forget TiVo sells these DVRs to MSOs to, and they have to support all the morons who have a DVR installed by their cable company and can barely figure out which side is up on the remote
Well, just because a feature is available, doesn't necessarily mean someone has to use it or even understand it. Don't want folders? Then don't add any! Problem solved...