Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #61
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
The only good thing about bringing back Colton would be if he got voted off first.
after Rupert please.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #62
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
after Rupert please.
Colton then Rupert, then anyone else who's played at least 2x before (Tina?) Why do the same people keep getting chances to win? Well I know it's entertainment and it's assumed that people want to watch them again. It's just tiresome. Does ANYONE want to see Colton again?

The thing is, they will still get people watching, and as long as we watch, we condone this all over again.

What no Boston Rob? He and Amber DEFINE Survivor love ones! But I'm glad he's not there.

I think I might tune in just to see Gervaise play again. He was one of my favorites from S1
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #63
pmyers

Somebody might want to start a new thread since this one has certainly turned into spoilers.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #64
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

There's no way I'm not watching. I love this show and will watch pretty much no matter who they put on. I prefer them bringing in all brand new players, but I don't mind seeing some of these returnees.

Would have preferred not to have Coulton or Rupert on but I'll still watch for sure. Coulton just needs to be voted out first. I liked Rupert a lot on his first season but after that he never seemed as entertaining and I see no reason for him to be back yet again.

But each season is a game of its own and sometimes it's also good to have somebody to root against, as long as there are people to root for as well.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #65
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I'm looking forward to this. I like going on knowing something about the people right away. The only one that I could do without is Rupert, but that's basically because he's been on several times, and I don't think there's anything new to see with him. I think it will be interesting to see if Colton has learned anything from his first appearance. He seemed fairly regretful at the reuinion, IIRC.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #66
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
There's no way I'm not watching. I love this show and will watch pretty much no matter who they put on. I prefer them bringing in all brand new players, but I don't mind seeing some of these returnees.

Would have preferred not to have Coulton or Rupert on but I'll still watch for sure. Coulton just needs to be voted out first. I liked Rupert a lot on his first season but after that he never seemed as entertaining and I see no reason for him to be back yet again.

But each season is a game of its own and sometimes it's also good to have somebody to root against, as long as there are people to root for as well.
This.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #67
brianric

I have not missed an episode of Survivor but am getting tired seeing retreads like Rupert coming back. I'm surprised Probst didn't bring back his buddy Boston Rob. With Colton coming back it will be just like watching Big Brother.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #68
laria
Librocubicularist

Man, I cannot stand Rupert. I didn't like him in his pirate season, and I have hated him more and more every season since. I'd rather see him go ASAP even though Colton is pretty vile.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #69
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
I have not missed an episode of Survivor but am getting tired seeing retreads like Rupert coming back. I'm surprised Probst didn't bring back his buddy Boston Rob. With Colton coming back it will be just like watching Big Brother.

I always watch, but am not excited about this cast. If all I wanted was "drama," I'd watch Big Brother or Real Housewives, and I don't watch those shows.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #70
crowfan
The Dude abides

I'll watch this year, as I always do. I don't really mind returning players but it is getting a bit old. I loved Rupert his first time around but less with each subsequent appearance. At least half the cast will be new.

I'm surprised (ok, not really) and disappointed that Colton is back. His attitude is really pretty disgusting and I'm hoping he will just keep his mouth shut (and go home first) this time around.

crowfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #71
pmyers

Huge spoilers here regarding the setup of tribes, etc:

Spoiler:
Jeff Probst already announced on Entertainment Weekly Radio that the next season of Survivor — subtitled Blood vs. Water — would feature returning Survivor contestants playing with (or, rather, against) their loved ones. Then, yesterday we revealed that one of those pairs would be Survivor: One World’s Kat Edorsson and her boyfriend, Big Brother season 12 winner Hayden Moss. Now the rest of the cast can be officially unveiled. And that cast will be playing in the most twist-heavy Survivor season ever.
Among the cast of Survivor: Blood vs. Water —which filmed this past May and June in the Philippines — will be a contestant from the group that started it all, as season 1 player Gervase Peterson returns to compete along with his niece Marissa. He will be joined by three million dollar winners — Tina Wesson from The Australian Outback (who will be playing with daughter Katie), Aras Baskauskas from Panama (with brother Vytas), and Rupert Boneham, who has never won in his three previous outings but did collect a million dollars as the winner of a special fan voted prize given away during the All-Stars season. He will be joined by his wife Laura.
In a surprise, the new cast also features three players from One World — which is generally considered one of the weakest Survivor seasons ever. Joining Kat will be Monica Culpepper (and husband Brad) and the controversial Colton Cumbie (and fiancé Caleb). Rounding out the cast are threepeaters Tyson Apostol (with girlfriend Rachel) and the former Candice Woodcock (now Candice Cody, with husband John), as well as Laura Morett from Samoa (with daughter Ciera).
Survivor host Jeff Probst gives credit for the loved ones concept to Survivor casting director Lynne Spillman. “It’s something she brought up for years,” Probst told EW.com. “But this year she pitched it and she said, ‘I think I can pull it off. I think I’ve found the right amount of couples.’ And once we started talking about it and talking about who would play, it went from something we thought about doing next year to something we were going to do this season. It was one of those moments were I left and went ‘Oh, everything’s different.’” As if having returning players playing against their loved ones was not a big enough twist, there are several other smaller changes, some of which could dramatically alter the way the game is played. Here they are:
* For the first time ever, the game will not be 39 days long, but rather 39-and-a-half days, as the couples will begin the game the night prior to day one with a new twist titled “Day Zero.” The 10 pairs will be sent out at sunset to 10 different locations to live by themselves for the night. They will then all meet up to be officially welcomed by host Jeff Probst and start the game the next morning. “The whole idea was to try and get them thinking and maybe believing that they would play as a pair,” says Probst.
* Just minutes after congregating, the returning players and their loved ones will be split into two different tribes, with the returning players making up the yellow Galang tribe and the newbies comprising the red Tadhana tribe. “Suddenly your partner becomes your adversary, your competition,” says Probst. “And that was the whole premise of Blood Vs. Water. How is that going to play out in a game where only one person can win?”
* First impressions can be key in the game like Survivor, and that will prove true here as just moments after meeting each other, each team will vote one member off their tribe. They will later be informed that these people have not been voted out of the game, but rather will be sent to Redemption Island, which makes its return after having been absent for the past three seasons. There they will battle to stay alive and reenter the game at a later point.
* Confused yet? Well, it gets even more confusing! Jeff Probst will then immediately offer each of the loved ones of the two people voted off the opportunity to trade places with them, meaning that if, say, returning player Tina is voted out of her tribe at the start, her daughter Katie can opt to take her place at Redemption Island instead, and Tina would then join the tribe of newbies.
* As mentioned, Redemption Island is back. Anyone voted out will be sent there and will then compete in a three person duel. The last place finisher in each contest is out of the game for good, while the top two remain. However, if someone’s loved one is still in the game they can take their loved one’s place before a duel. (So if, say, Monica is at Redemption Island but her husband Brad thinks he would do better at a duel involving strength, he can swap places with her, electing to do the duel while she takes his place on his tribe. They could then swap again at the next duel if it is a contest better suited to her strengths.) “That puts blood and water to the test,” says Probst. “And we’re gonna do it at every duel. So the first time early in the game, somebody may say ‘It’s just too early.” But as those duels increase and they get closer to what they think might be a merge, their strategy is going to start to change.”
* That’s not all when it comes to Redemption Island. The person who finishes first in each duel will also get to give a clue to the location of a hidden immunity idol to any person from either tribe that they choose. “There’s all these things you can do,” says Probst. “Because for a moment, even though you’re on the outest, furthest part of the game, you have a little bit of power.”

Sorry I don't have a direct link as this was emailed to me.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #72
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Wow, now that's a way to shake things up. Time will tell if those changes are too much or are brilliant
Old 08-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #73
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Glad to see Monica Culpepper will be back. She was great eye candy.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #74
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Huge spoilers here regarding the setup of tribes, etc:

Spoiler:
Jeff Probst already announced on Entertainment Weekly Radio that the next season of Survivor — subtitled Blood vs. Water — would feature returning Survivor contestants playing with (or, rather, against) their loved ones. Then, yesterday we revealed that one of those pairs would be Survivor: One World’s Kat Edorsson and her boyfriend, Big Brother season 12 winner Hayden Moss. Now the rest of the cast can be officially unveiled. And that cast will be playing in the most twist-heavy Survivor season ever.
Among the cast of Survivor: Blood vs. Water —which filmed this past May and June in the Philippines — will be a contestant from the group that started it all, as season 1 player Gervase Peterson returns to compete along with his niece Marissa. He will be joined by three million dollar winners — Tina Wesson from The Australian Outback (who will be playing with daughter Katie), Aras Baskauskas from Panama (with brother Vytas), and Rupert Boneham, who has never won in his three previous outings but did collect a million dollars as the winner of a special fan voted prize given away during the All-Stars season. He will be joined by his wife Laura.
In a surprise, the new cast also features three players from One World — which is generally considered one of the weakest Survivor seasons ever. Joining Kat will be Monica Culpepper (and husband Brad) and the controversial Colton Cumbie (and fiancé Caleb). Rounding out the cast are threepeaters Tyson Apostol (with girlfriend Rachel) and the former Candice Woodcock (now Candice Cody, with husband John), as well as Laura Morett from Samoa (with daughter Ciera).
Survivor host Jeff Probst gives credit for the loved ones concept to Survivor casting director Lynne Spillman. “It’s something she brought up for years,” Probst told EW.com. “But this year she pitched it and she said, ‘I think I can pull it off. I think I’ve found the right amount of couples.’ And once we started talking about it and talking about who would play, it went from something we thought about doing next year to something we were going to do this season. It was one of those moments were I left and went ‘Oh, everything’s different.’” As if having returning players playing against their loved ones was not a big enough twist, there are several other smaller changes, some of which could dramatically alter the way the game is played. Here they are:
* For the first time ever, the game will not be 39 days long, but rather 39-and-a-half days, as the couples will begin the game the night prior to day one with a new twist titled “Day Zero.” The 10 pairs will be sent out at sunset to 10 different locations to live by themselves for the night. They will then all meet up to be officially welcomed by host Jeff Probst and start the game the next morning. “The whole idea was to try and get them thinking and maybe believing that they would play as a pair,” says Probst.
* Just minutes after congregating, the returning players and their loved ones will be split into two different tribes, with the returning players making up the yellow Galang tribe and the newbies comprising the red Tadhana tribe. “Suddenly your partner becomes your adversary, your competition,” says Probst. “And that was the whole premise of Blood Vs. Water. How is that going to play out in a game where only one person can win?”
* First impressions can be key in the game like Survivor, and that will prove true here as just moments after meeting each other, each team will vote one member off their tribe. They will later be informed that these people have not been voted out of the game, but rather will be sent to Redemption Island, which makes its return after having been absent for the past three seasons. There they will battle to stay alive and reenter the game at a later point.
* Confused yet? Well, it gets even more confusing! Jeff Probst will then immediately offer each of the loved ones of the two people voted off the opportunity to trade places with them, meaning that if, say, returning player Tina is voted out of her tribe at the start, her daughter Katie can opt to take her place at Redemption Island instead, and Tina would then join the tribe of newbies.
* As mentioned, Redemption Island is back. Anyone voted out will be sent there and will then compete in a three person duel. The last place finisher in each contest is out of the game for good, while the top two remain. However, if someone’s loved one is still in the game they can take their loved one’s place before a duel. (So if, say, Monica is at Redemption Island but her husband Brad thinks he would do better at a duel involving strength, he can swap places with her, electing to do the duel while she takes his place on his tribe. They could then swap again at the next duel if it is a contest better suited to her strengths.) “That puts blood and water to the test,” says Probst. “And we’re gonna do it at every duel. So the first time early in the game, somebody may say ‘It’s just too early.” But as those duels increase and they get closer to what they think might be a merge, their strategy is going to start to change.”
* That’s not all when it comes to Redemption Island. The person who finishes first in each duel will also get to give a clue to the location of a hidden immunity idol to any person from either tribe that they choose. “There’s all these things you can do,” says Probst. “Because for a moment, even though you’re on the outest, furthest part of the game, you have a little bit of power.”

Sorry I don't have a direct link as this was emailed to me.
Wow, that sounds like it will be pretty exciting. Not thrilled about the return of

Spoiler:
Redemption Island

but the extra twists described should make it much more interesting.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #75
mdougie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
The problem with Big Brother this year is they had no one return and the game sucked for weeks.
mdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #76
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I got my favorite picked out!

Spoiler:
Brad Culpepper. Usually previous NFL players are old, not in great shape, etc but you can tell him and Monica have been hitting the gym still.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #77
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post

Spoiler:
Brad Culpepper. Usually previous NFL players are old, not in great shape, etc but you can tell him and Monica have been hitting the gym still.
The 2 NFL player that I remember were Gary Hogenboom and Steven Wright and they were both in good shape.
JFriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #78
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
He looks like he is in way better shape than when he was playing.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #79
LifeIsABeach

Like the ides behind Blood vs Water. New rules sound pretty cool and somewhat confusing. I wonder if all the players in the game will be smart enough to understand them and use them wisely.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #80
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdougie View Post
The problem with Big Brother this year is they had no one return and the game sucked for weeks.
Actually, I much prefer a game with no returnees that develops a season personality of it's own. You did have for the first few weeks a game influenced by a "returnee" in that Rachel orchestrated the MVP vote for her sister. But after that, we knew the HG and it took on the dark persona.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #81
VegasVic
Craps Player

I wasn't thrilled about this season anyway but
Spoiler:
the return of RI seals the deal. Ugh

Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #82
Hcour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnside1 View Post
Calling Colton a villain is giving villains everywhere a bad name. Colton is just a racist ******bag.
Exactly. "Villains" are fun. Colton, not fun.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #83
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
And if Colton wasn't bad enough already, I can only imagine that him being there with his fiance is only going to make him MORE Colton.

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to watch if he isn't knocked out very early on.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #84
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
And if Colton wasn't bad enough already, I can only imagine that him being there with his fiance is only going to make him MORE Colton.

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to watch if he isn't knocked out very early on.
Maybe his fiance knows how to keep him in line. He doesn't want to act like a tool in front of him

But yeah...I doubt that!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #85
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Never mind the "new rules" - how are they going to handle one of the existing rules: you're not allowed to make any sort of deal concerning splitting prize money with any contestant. (They were discussing this briefly on EW Radio on 8/27, and considering that Survivor Amazon winner Jenna Jenna Morasca is one of the hosts, you would think she has some idea as to what she is talking about here.) Of course, if the winner is competing with his/her spouse, then they can't really stop the spouse from accessing, say, a joint bank account.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #86
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

What if they put all the partners on separate tribes?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #87
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
What if they put all the partners on separate tribes?
That's exactly what they're doing, as outlined above. But eventually there will be a merge and some of the partners will then be together and could conceivably work together at that point. But just like tight twosomes in previous seasons, the rest of the contestants will be very wary of them and will probably break up those alliances.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #88
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I'm sorry I smeeked.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #89
Ment

in the Big Brother live feed one of houseguests spoiled the F4 Survivor. Is that info well known on the net already? What a bummer for fans.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #90
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post

In the Big Brother live feed one of houseguests spoiled the F4 Survivor. Is that info well known on the net already? What a bummer for fans.
Wait, your saying that one of the current BB houseguests is somehow privy to the Blood vs. Water final 4, and mentioned all four names on the feeds? I would be so pissed if that was somehow revealed to me.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote