TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #2341
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallW View Post
Nice, HD worked fine, now I just have to go back and connect with TiVo as my lifetime subscription doesn't seem to be working (listed as 11: Evaluation, and won't let me record anything).
Did you do the initial DvrBARS restore with a backup from that TiVo, or my 746 image? If you used my image, run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" the drive to the motherboard.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #2342
RandallW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Did you do the initial DvrBARS restore with a backup from that TiVo, or my 746 image? If you used my image, run Clear & Delete Everything to "marry" the drive to the motherboard.
Ahh, missed that info. Running that process now. Thanks! Sending you a follow-up PM as well. =)
RandallW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #2343
bryansee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I sent you a PM with a link to the 746 image if mattack's suggestion doesn't work.
Just received a used TCD746320. I could really use that as well. The hard drive is bad and ddrescue is having a hard time with it.

I have a spare drive I can re-image.
bryansee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #2344
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Just found this from NewEgg seems like a good deal?

Anybody try a NAS drive in a TiVo?

TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...-EditorsElite&
$79

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini

Last edited by Hi8 : 08-24-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #2345
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi8 View Post
Just found this from NewEgg seems like a good deal?

Anybody try a NAS drive in a TiVo?

TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...-EditorsElite&
$79

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It should still be good for storage in a PC if the TiVo doesn't like it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #2346
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It should still be good for storage in a PC if the TiVo doesn't like it.
yeah, that's what I figured... I ordered one w/free shipping ...

I should know in a week or so.

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #2347
Camlee98

Hi TCD652160 that has issues connecting via wireless. So I picked up a TCD746500 for a good price. So will I be able to use this process or does it only work when going from premiere to premiere (or series 4 to 4)? If it does work what about the transferring of service? Do I do that before or after I upgrade.
Camlee98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #2348
Camlee98

Ok so a little more digging and I found my answer. No I can not use this to go from a S3 to a S4. I kinda figured that anyway. I would still like to know if I should do the upgrade before transfering the service?
Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #2349
ggieseke

I don't think it really matters. Just get the 746 up & running, updated to latest software, expanded, etc and then if everything is fine pull the trigger.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #2350
Camlee98

Sounds good! So I can do all of the above without activating?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #2351
ggieseke

Yes.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #2352
haystax77

Newbie Question

I've been reading through the thread and I think I found the answer to my question but wanted to post this to confirm.

Based on what I read, the partitioning with the Tivo Premiere won't allow (or won't recognize/use) anything more than 2TB. Is that correct?

If that is correct than my second question of whether anyone has tried to upgrade a Premiere with the WD AV-GP 3TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD30EURS, is mute. Saw this one on Amazon for ~$145 and had me curious if it would work.

Thanks.
haystax77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #2353
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by haystax77 View Post
I've been reading through the thread and I think I found the answer to my question but wanted to post this to confirm.

Based on what I read, the partitioning with the Tivo Premiere won't allow (or won't recognize/use) anything more than 2TB. Is that correct?

If that is correct than my second question of whether anyone has tried to upgrade a Premiere with the WD AV-GP 3TB AV Video Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA II, 64 MB Cache - WD30EURS, is mute. Saw this one on Amazon for ~$145 and had me curious if it would work.

Thanks.
AFAIK, 2TB is still the limit for a Premiere. It might be possible someday given what we've learned from the Roamio rollout, but none of the existing tools will work.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #2354
kparcher

Hello,

I am new to posting but have been looking at this site for many years. My Premiere (TCD746320) with a 2GB drive (WD20EURS) had an s03 error. I rebooted and now it just loops with the GSOD. Running a windlg scan of the drive shows that it does have about 200 bad sectors. Western Digital will RMA the drive, but I am concerned the tivo image is corrupted.

Can someone please share the image for that tivo and can I use DVRBARS to restore? I am not concerned with saving my shows or settings I just want to get the system back up and running.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
kparcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #2355
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparcher View Post
Hello,

I am new to posting but have been looking at this site for many years. My Premiere (TCD746320) with a 2GB drive (WD20EURS) had an s03 error. I rebooted and now it just loops with the GSOD. Running a windlg scan of the drive shows that it does have about 200 bad sectors. Western Digital will RMA the drive, but I am concerned the tivo image is corrupted.

Can someone please share the image for that tivo and can I use DVRBARS to restore? I am not concerned with saving my shows or settings I just want to get the system back up and running.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin
PM sent.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #2356
kparcher

Thank You ggieseke! The Tivo is back up and running. I am just working my way through the guided setup now.

Again, I very much appreciate your help and I am sure others do as well!

Kevin
kparcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #2357
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparcher View Post
Thank You ggieseke! The Tivo is back up and running. I am just working my way through the guided setup now.

Again, I very much appreciate your help and I am sure others do as well!

Kevin
out of curiosity, how long was the WD drive running in the Tivo before it failed?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #2358
shoeboo

Nevermind, Kickstart 57 fixed things...

I have a premiere (with 1TB expander) that recently began a reboot loop, I ran a kickstart 54 and it came up with "fail 7" on my primary drive. I unmarried my expander hoping for some reason it would help but same result.
I then attached HDD to PC and ran extended WD diagnostic tool in dos (never connected in windows) and it didn't come back with any errors.
I have plenty of spare HDDs, so I ran JMFS CD figuring I would try and copy to new HDD but the software couldn't find my Tivo Partitions. At this point I figured drive may not be bad so I grabbed the HDD out of my other working premiere (same model but with 500gb expander) and copied that over to original HDD using JMFS. On first boot I unmarried the 500gb expander from broken Tivo, but I am still not able to boot (now get past Almost there... and a light blue one moment screen with circle comes up and then reboots) and now kickstart 54 completes with no errors.
Is copying image from married Premiere a problem? Something else I am missing? I know I would need to C&D everything once it boots up but can't get to that point.
Thanks,
Brandon

Last edited by shoeboo : 09-12-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Fixed the problem
shoeboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #2359
hfcsyrup

I am upgrading a stock P4 unit. I have a spare External My Book Essential 2TB WDBACW0020HBK-NESN i plan on using, dont want to have to sell this and buy a WD20eurs. I only have my laptop and one usb-sata cable. Can i upgrade with this my book in the enclosure as if it is external and once the process is done, take the drive out and put it in the tivo? I have a lot of shows to transfer so i cant transfer them to c and then to the new drive...
also i read somewhere the my book has another partition or two so not sure if that is an issue.

also what is the best way to transfer shows from my other tivohd and keep the most metadata? i wanted to use kmttg and pytivo, but have read both that direct pulling from the premiere would keep more metadata, though that is way more work. does using tivo desktop keep different metadata than kmttg?

Last edited by hfcsyrup : 09-15-2013 at 11:18 PM.
hfcsyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #2360
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfcsyrup View Post
<snip>also what is the best way to transfer shows from my other tivohd and keep the most metadata? i wanted to use kmttg and pytivo, but have read both that direct pulling from the premiere would keep more metadata, though that is way more work. does using tivo desktop keep different metadata than kmttg?
While the most metadata retention used to require transferrinng to a PC, then pulling from the PC via pyTivo, when the destination TiVo is a Premiere this seems to no longer be true and a direct TiVo to TiVo transfer works just as well. I would suggest trying a couple both ways and seeing what happens.

There are a some advantages to the direct xfer
1. it generally has no problems with minor glitches that might cause a transfer to the PC to fail to complete.
2. closed captions are intact.
3. Less total time.

Using kmttg and pyTivo to transfer to PC and push to the TiVo retains the least amount of metadata.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #2361
hfcsyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
While the most metadata retention used to require transferrinng to a PC, then pulling from the PC via pyTivo, when the destination TiVo is a Premiere this seems to no longer be true and a direct TiVo to TiVo transfer works just as well. I would suggest trying a couple both ways and seeing what happens.

There are a some advantages to the direct xfer
1. it generally has no problems with minor glitches that might cause a transfer to the PC to fail to complete.
2. closed captions are intact.
3. Less total time.

Using kmttg and pyTivo to transfer to PC and push to the TiVo retains the least amount of metadata.
ok thanks for the response, will try both, bot probably just do direct as i dont have much time.

so i used jmfs and had success transferring to my my book. this might sound crazy, but is it possible to try, before i open it up and ruin the enclosure, to hook up the new drive in the external my book via a usb-sata cable to the tivo?
also couldnt get my wdidle 3 usb flash image to boot properly, tried disabling ahci in bios but no luck
Old 09-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #2362
lpwcomp

Quote:
so i used jmfs and had success transferring to my my book. this might sound crazy, but is it possible to try, before i open it up and ruin the enclosure, to hook up the new drive in the external my book via a usb-sata cable to the tivo?
It has to be connected to the SATA port on the TiVo, so if you have an adapter that does that, try it and see.

Quote:
also couldnt get my wdidle 3 usb flash image to boot properly, tried disabling ahci in bios but no luck
Even if you had gotten it to boot, I don't believe wdidle3 would have worked. It cannot modify a drive connected via USB.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #2363
hfcsyrup

well that didnt work. it looks like the drive is encrypted when i configured it, jmfs doesnt recognize it being a tivo drive when i connect just it. hopefully it is only the bridge board that is encrypted
http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=24590&start=

so i took the drive out and it looks like a normal wd20ears. problem is i only have one sata-usb cable for my laptop, i guess i need to go out and buy another one.

but then i cant even disable wdidle, which the wd20ears appears to have enabled, since i dont have a non-usb method? there's no workaround?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #2364
lickwid

Sorry, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. Can the TivoHD support up to 2TB hard drives now? And secondly, I have a spare 2TB hard drive I pulled from my Tivo Premiere. Would I be able to swap that in and just do a Clear & Delete? Thanks in advance.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #2365
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickwid View Post
Sorry, I tried searching but couldn't find an answer. Can the TivoHD support up to 2TB hard drives now?
This is the Premiere upgrade thread so you're looking in the wrong place, but the answer is yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickwid View Post
And secondly, I have a spare 2TB hard drive I pulled from my Tivo Premiere. Would I be able to swap that in and just do a Clear & Delete? Thanks in advance.
No. If you thought this was even a possibility, you definitely didn't do any even a cursory search.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #2366
ruckus816

Same problem here!

I have a TCD746320 with the GSOD I have a new blank hard drive and I've been looking every where trying to find a fix. ggieseke you seem like the man with the plan can you send me the magical PM that you've been sending everyone else?

Thanks in advance!
ruckus816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #2367
a-hill

Need Help!!! with Hard Drives

Hello I have a somewhat complicated question that I would really appreciate a little clarity on. Thanks in Advance if anyone has any info that can help me.

I just upgraded 2 TiVo premiere to TiVo premiere elites (xl4's). One of the premieres is month to month the other is lifetime (not sure if it matters or not). Both of the premieres have the stock 320 GB hard drive.

I have jmfs iso burned to a disc and have two open sata and power hookups on my pc freed up.

Here are my questions
1. Is there any way to copy all the saved shows, ratings, season passes, ect from premieres to the elites (xl4's)?

2. I also have an old TiVo hdxl that is new in box never activated. I would like to swap the hard drive between the premiere (w/lifetime) and new hdxl. I would like the hdxl to have the 320 GB drive so I can give it to my sister and I would like the premiere (w/lifetime) to have the 1tb.

Thanks again
a-hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #2368
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus816 View Post
I have a TCD746320 with the GSOD I have a new blank hard drive and I've been looking every where trying to find a fix. ggieseke you seem like the man with the plan can you send me the magical PM that you've been sending everyone else?

Thanks in advance!
PM sent.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #2369
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-hill View Post
Hello I have a somewhat complicated question that I would really appreciate a little clarity on. Thanks in Advance if anyone has any info that can help me.

I just upgraded 2 TiVo premiere to TiVo premiere elites (xl4's). One of the premieres is month to month the other is lifetime (not sure if it matters or not). Both of the premieres have the stock 320 GB hard drive.

I have jmfs iso burned to a disc and have two open sata and power hookups on my pc freed up.

Here are my questions
1. Is there any way to copy all the saved shows, ratings, season passes, ect from premieres to the elites (xl4's)?

2. I also have an old TiVo hdxl that is new in box never activated. I would like to swap the hard drive between the premiere (w/lifetime) and new hdxl. I would like the hdxl to have the 320 GB drive so I can give it to my sister and I would like the premiere (w/lifetime) to have the 1tb.

Thanks again
1. Any recordings that aren't copy-protected can be copied directly from TiVo to TiVO as long as they're both active on your account. The season passes can be copied with kmttg or the online season pass manager at tivo.com. Ratings cannot be copied.

2. I don't think there's an image for the HDXL that would restore to a 320GB drive since it came with a 1TB drive. You might be able to frankenstein a 160GB HD image onto the 320GB drive, expand it, and put it in the HDXL but I don't think it would work.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #2370
ruckus816

When restoring from the image I get a little over halfway done and then I get an error 0x00000017 readfile. Does anyone know what that means?
ruckus816 is offline   Reply With Quote