TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #61
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
The sell-out nature of this initial release is just going to prove that Tivo, at this time, has no incentive to offer special upgrades. Either they have TONS of new customers who have been waiting for a Tivo DVR solution, or have TONS of older generation customers who have wanted a new HD box.

Great for Tivo, bad for me to have to wait to upgrade until (hopefully) the price drops after the holidays!
I don't know if it is truly a sellout nature rather than slow initial stock. My local BB still doesn't show any stock and have yet to get them. You still can't order the Pro from BB, but you can the Plus except it is backordered and has been since it showed up. The base is available and has been online, but still no stock in Florida. I tried asking a manger when their shipment was coming in, but all he could tell me is soon. This is the same response BB is giving in their forums.

Weaknees was waiting for their shipment today. Amazon gets their shipment tomorrow, but had a few boxes initially. They are also handling the shipping for TiVo though.

Walmart only shows the Pro, but ship to store by 9/2.

I think either TiVo held back the shipment and/or waited to notify the vendors until after the announcement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #62
jrtroo
User

Well, I'll put it another way. Can anyone ever remember tivo having a shortage of units with the release of a new box? I cannot.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #63
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Well, I'll put it another way. Can anyone ever remember tivo having a shortage of units with the release of a new box? I cannot.
TiVo has plenty of stock unless they have since sold out.

Like I said I think TiVo waited to ship their units to stores so it is more like a soft launch where you can only buy it direct and 30 days later the stores will have them in stock.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #64
trade
Tivo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I don't know if it is truly a sellout nature rather than slow initial stock. My local BB still doesn't show any stock and have yet to get them. You still can't order the Pro from BB, but you can the Plus except it is backordered and has been since it showed up. The base is available and has been online, but still no stock in Florida. I tried asking a manger when their shipment was coming in, but all he could tell me is soon. This is the same response BB is giving in their forums.

Weaknees was waiting for their shipment today. Amazon gets their shipment tomorrow, but had a few boxes initially. They are also handling the shipping for TiVo though.

I think either TiVo held back the shipment and/or waited to notify the vendors until after the announcement.
I agree with you there's not enough stock, and will be a smart movement, because instead make by example 100 thousands of each model, they can measure the demand with the short stock that are offering and make more of the product most demand.

Also the lower stock is measure in the time of shipping of the Tivo sold on the own store. Be realistic this is not the new PS4 or Xbox One, inclusive I think that they will be making offers to sell the stock of old Premieres in the next month.

I will wait until December to see what Tivo can gives a better offer.

Qnap TS-469L NAS 8TB WD Red
Sony StreamPlayer NP-2000
Apple TV 3

Last edited by trade : 08-26-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: grammar
trade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #65
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I had to order from the Magnolia department at one of my local BB stores. In the regional warehouse they had around 28 Roamio Pros and around 14 Roamio Plus models. Plus the Magnolia Department had 36 months no interest financing on any purchase. Supposedly it will show up at the store on Tuesday or Thursday for me to pick up.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-26-2013 at 01:54 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #66
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
I disagree here. I think Tivo is making a huge mistake not upgrading alot of premiere owners... quite frankly they should allow anyone under contract on a premiere to purchase a roamio and restart there 1 year commitment. with the exception of the few fanatics here.. they will lose alot of customers not happy with the premieres relative performance..
Lots of complaining about decisions made. Good thing we are all adults.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #67
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
If Weaknees coupon still works it still the least expensive place to purchase no tax and free shipping and $25 off the Plus ($40 off the pro and $15 of the basic). They expect more stock today or Tuesday.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #68
sbiller

I think the soft launch is intentional to allow for the few launch bugs to be discovered and corrected over the next few weeks.
sbiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #69
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I had to order from the Magnolia department at one of my local BB stores. In the regional warehouse they had around 28 Roamio Pros and around 14 Roamio Plus models. Plus the Magnolia Department had 36 months no interest financing on any purchase. Supposedly it will show up at the store on Tuesday or Thursday for me to pick up.
I tried at might, but the manager didn't feel like it. He wouldn't even look to see if there were any coming in. Soon was his only response when I asked about the TiVo.

I know they get shipments on Tuesday and Thursday so I figure I will check the Best Buy site tomorrow.

The soft launch makes sense from a support standpoint. I just wish they had announced a firm date for stores to have stock.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #70
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by trade View Post
Tivo is making obsoletes our DVRs and pushing to buy a new hardware and a lifetime service with a big disadvantage to their customers.
How is it obsolete? My Premiere XL still records the shows I want. Guide is updated daily. It's doing what I want it to do. With the Roamio Pro arriving tomorrow the Primiere XL will happily co-exit with it, giving me eight tuners and 600 hours of hD recording.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #71
brianric

Quote:
Like I said I think TiVo waited to ship their units to stores so it is more like a soft launch where you can only buy it direct and 30 days later the stores will have them in stock.
Plus is at my local Best Buy. My Pro arrives from Weaknees tomorrow.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #72
holycrap

None of these gen 3 or later boxes are obsolete, they just don't have the features of the newer boxes. I still run an HD in a guest bedroom which has no cable or antenna, but folks staying over enjoy the ability to stream from other boxes in the house and I keep a bunch of movies on that box as well.
holycrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #73
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If Weaknees coupon still works it still the least expensive place to purchase no tax
If your state charges sales tax, you are still required, by law, to report it on your state income tax forms and pay the sales taxes.

Not that anyone does it, but just saying
Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #74
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Plus is at my local Best Buy. My Pro arrives from Weaknees tomorrow.
I fully expect some stores to have them in stock based on how close they are to the shipping warehouses.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM   #75
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
If your state charges sales tax, you are still required, by law, to report it on your state income tax forms and pay the sales taxes.

You are correct, and I report all my out of state purchases on my state tax return, but I don't have to do that till next April, so I am earning interest on my tax savings. I think my bank is now paying me .01% per month, the pennys add up.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #76
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
I think TiVo has their beancounters who are tasked with maximizing revenue, as they should. The multi-unit discounts let me add another LT unit for $300, but of course that will create an extra unit at the back end. TiVo must know the secondary market is there for LT machines, and accepts that, VS an offer of $xx to truly 'transfer' service, i.e. kill the LT service of the old machine and for a fee, move it to the new one.

(And since an LT HD or Series 3 will still fetch $300, effectively, I have that deal already)

To the other comments about obsolescence, I recently bought a Series 2 single Tuner for my sister in law. With LT service, it was worth all of the $60 I paid, and works fine with her DTA from Comcast. She has a small TV, and one tuner is fine for her.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #77
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycrap View Post
None of these gen 3 or later boxes are obsolete, they just don't have the features of the newer boxes. I still run an HD in a guest bedroom which has no cable or antenna, but folks staying over enjoy the ability to stream from other boxes in the house and I keep a bunch of movies on that box as well.
Ditto to what you said. We have 2 S3 OLED's with lifetime on our primary TV (upgrades from earlier S1's) which are doing exactly what we need so right now there isn't any incentive for me to upgrade to newer hardware. They record shows, I can transfer all except HBO to my PC or between the 2 TiVo's and I can watch Netflix or listen to Pandora.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #78
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I don't care what kind of "upgrade incentive" they offer. I am waiting until the product is "full-featured" and not "half-baked", meaning until the Out-Of-Home streaming is deployed, and Android or browser support is added for the "non-iGarbage" crowd.

If TiVo says "coming soon", that means I am waiting until that feature is actually deployed. Android coming soon? No Thanks, I'll wait. Remote Streaming coming soon? No Thanks, I'll wait.

I bought a Mini with PLS because they said that a coming software update would bring DTA and I wouldn't have to lock out a tuner on my 4-tuner box. Well, we're still waiting for it. And I feel slighted and taken advantage of. Lesson learned, I will never do that again.

I'm sorry to tell TiVo that my $1,000 for a Roamio Pro with Product Lifetime Service is "COMING SOON".
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #79
midlomuncher

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Android or browser support is added for the "non-iGarbage" crowd.[/color]
Enjoy "Open"

U.S. government finds 0.7% of all mobile malware affects iOS, while Android accounts for 79%

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/26/u-s-government-finds-0-7-of-all-mobile-malware-affects-ios-wh/
midlomuncher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #80
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycrap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Ditto to what you said. We have 2 S3 OLED's with lifetime on our primary TV (upgrades from earlier S1's) which are doing exactly what we need so right now there isn't any incentive for me to upgrade to newer hardware. They record shows, I can transfer all except HBO to my PC or between the 2 TiVo's and I can watch Netflix or listen to Pandora.

Scott
So far the only functional obsolescence I am aware is that the Series 3 units can not record MPEG 4 channels. Other than that all Series 3 & Series 4 units can still provide all the functionality they ever could.

Sure newer units have additional features that the older units do not but that is just the way of the world. I really cannot believe anyone buys any piece of electronics and doesn't expect that there will be a newer device with features their device doesn't have soon.

So if you want new features you upgrade if you are happy with the feature set that your device has you don't. I really don't need another DVR and don't really need any more features but ordered a new Roamio anyways on the hopes it will have better OTA reception than my Premiere and just cause I wanted something new.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #81
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlomuncher View Post
Enjoy "Open"

U.S. government finds 0.7% of all mobile malware affects iOS, while Android accounts for 79%

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/26/u-s-government-finds-0-7-of-all-mobile-malware-affects-ios-wh/
iOS is malware.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #82
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
iOS is malware.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #83
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Quote:
iOS is malware.
It sure is!
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #84
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I bought a Mini with PLS because they said that a coming software update would bring DTA and I wouldn't have to lock out a tuner on my 4-tuner box. Well, we're still waiting for it. And I feel slighted and taken advantage of. Lesson learned, I will never do that again.
That is already available on the Roamio and, from what I hear, is coming in September for the Premiere. So you shouldn't have to wait much longer for this.

Out of home streaming was just announced, so it seems a bit premature for you to be irritated that it's not ready yet. Had they not mentioned it in all the reviews we wouldn't even know it was coming.

Android support should probably be done by now. The Stream has been out for almost a year now, it shouldn't take that long for a company with TiVos resources to add streaming to the Android app no matter how challenging it was to accomplish.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #85
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Android support should probably be done by now. The Stream has been out for almost a year now, it shouldn't take that long for a company with TiVos resources to add streaming to the Android app no matter how challenging it was to accomplish.
Because adaptive rate video streaming is easier than creating 5 or 6 HD text menus,..

Old 08-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #86
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Because adaptive rate video streaming is easier than creating 5 or 6 HD text menus,..
Yeah I'm definitely in the camp of the UI should be finished by now. I have no idea what the heck is taking them so long on that. All I can figure is they have one, part time, guy working on it.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #87
mdscott

Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely in the camp of the UI should be finished by now. I have no idea what the heck is taking them so long on that. All I can figure is they have one, part time, guy working on it.
One guy who prefers to play with iOS...
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #88
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post

What if you live in a state with no state income tax?

I know my Dad, who owns a business, has to report this kind of stuff as a "use tax" on his state/county taxes. But I don't think there is any way for a standard citizen to do it. And even if there is I doubt anyone is going to go out of their way to do it.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #89
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
What if you live in a state with no state income tax?
In Florida, you file form DR15-MO (Florida Department of Revenue Out-of-State Purchase Return): http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2013/dr15mo.pdf

Old 08-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #90
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlomuncher View Post
Enjoy "Open"

That is so FULL OF CRAP

You can make statistics say anything you want. Malware in Android when the ecosystem is USED PROPERLY through Google Play is almost a non-issue, no worse than iOS. It is only when one starts loading unsafe crap from unconfirmed sources does it get dangerous... and AT LEAST ANDROID GIVES YOU THAT CHOICE.