TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Rebate_King

Too bad you couldn't buy a "bare bones" tivo roamio directly from TiVo.

Now that you can just drop in a new drive, too bad TiVo didn't have options for consumers to buy units without hard drives.

I've upgraded dozens of tivo boxes in the past and not once have I ever had to use the old drive that I pulled out. It just sat on a shelf and then was evently discarded. Waste of money.
Rebate_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
innocentfreak

They would have to enclose the power supply.

Now in the future they could do something like a hot swap bay so it was plug and play with a locking mechanism similar to a NAS.

The loss of a drive would cut down on their costs, but it would also cut down on their profits depending on how much of a price cut it offered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
cr33p

It would also potentially be a support nightmare. End users mistakenly installing different drives that may or not be intended for DVR use. However for enthusiast's it would be ideal
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
They would have to enclose the power supply.

Now in the future they could do something like a hot swap bay so it was plug and play with a locking mechanism similar to a NAS.

The loss of a drive would cut down on their costs, but it would also cut down on their profits depending on how much of a price cut it offered.
When was the last time you saw Dell or HP offer a computer without any hard drive.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
When was the last time you saw Dell or HP offer a computer without any hard drive.
You can't compare the two. Dell and HP can't offer a computer without unless they sell the OS separately also. At which point why would you buy it since you would have to buy the OS?

But if you want to...HP Proliant Server. This is what most are now using to build small WHS.

Since TiVo now installs the OS or at least enough to install any drive, they could in the future sell a model without just like you can buy just about any brand NAS without drives, just like Sony introduced a PS3 with 12GB of flash built in for the OS for $199 and you install your own hard drive for save games and downloads, just like the 360 was originally sold as a model without a drive, etc.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebate_King View Post
Now that you can just drop in a new drive, too bad TiVo didn't have options for consumers to buy units without hard drives.
Why would TiVo build something a miniscule percentage of their potential customers would want? Not a smart business decision for them.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
Why would TiVo build something a miniscule percentage of their potential customers would want? Not a smart business decision for them.
If the Pro is designed primarily for high end home theater installers, it actually makes some sense since they wouldn't have to buy the 3TB drives. They would have a list of supported drives the installers themselves would add.

I don't think the Pro is designed to be the top seller. I agree on the base model it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
TC25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
If the Pro is designed primarily for high end home theater installers, it actually makes some sense since they wouldn't have to buy the 3TB drives. They would have a list of supported drives the installers themselves would add.
Who said it was designed for installers?
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 AM   #9
jfh3

Nice idea, but impractical for TiVo for a whole host of reasons. Maybe they have some sort of wholesale options for resellers like weakness to buy disk-less drives, but it would be a support disaster at retail.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It will never happen. TiVo would have to change their TOS and omit the part that mentions opening the box voids the warranty.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It will never happen. TiVo would have to change their TOS and omit the part that mentions opening the box voids the warranty.
Altough at least on the base Roamio there wouldn't be any risk of a user coming into contact with 120 v; since it's got the external power brick.

I still don't think they'd do it, but at least there's one less risk to opening the case for that unit. (But then if they offered it on the base you'd have people complaining that they couldn't get a diskless Plus/Pro)
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
Millionaire2K

If TiVo was smart they would NOT allow the drive to be upgraded.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millionaire2K View Post
If TiVo was smart they would NOT allow the drive to be upgraded.
How so? What makes that move smart?
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Nice idea, but impractical for TiVo for a whole host of reasons. Maybe they have some sort of wholesale options for resellers like weakness to buy disk-less drives, but it would be a support disaster at retail.
It would only be direct from TiVo. This way you knew only advanced users would buy it.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Millionaire2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
How so? What makes that move smart?
I don't know. Everyone else came up with crazy ideas. I figured my idea of keeping tight control over the echo system would help Tivo. Kinda how Apple has started to not allow you to upgrade their computers.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millionaire2K View Post
I don't know. Everyone else came up with crazy ideas. I figured my idea of keeping tight control over the echo system would help Tivo. Kinda how Apple has started to not allow you to upgrade their computers.
I hardly think keeping a tight control over the ecosystem would require them to lock down the hard drives. They are, for the most part, interchangeable parts. Sony for example, does a pretty good job letting folks replace drives in the PS3, despite having a heavily DRM'd ecosystem similar to the type content owners want to be able to enforce with DVRs. The main benefit to locking down the drives is support costs, or if you can gain some benefit by doing something non standard (speed via a PCIe SSD for example).

And Apple's move towards less upgradable computers has more to do with their priorities in their products than anything else. It says that they value weight and battery life over upgradability or having the top-of-the-line specs. And it doesn't really help them a ton when it means warranty repairs are more costly to them, and require more training in their techs. But to make the devices lighter and smaller while keeping the same battery life, they have to make room for the battery while the chassis shrinks. The easiest things to kick out are all the casing and connectors that make parts replaceable. It all adds up fairly quickly. Now if we want to talk about the App Store, that is definitely Apple trying to control their ecosystem. But is a separate issue from upgradable hardware. You can have one without the other.

It isn't the "right" approach. I'm fairly neutral on it, I see it as different rather than better or worse. It depends on your own priorities when it comes to these things. It isn't the only approach that works either.

Last edited by Kolenka : 08-27-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
Millionaire2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
I hardly think keeping a tight control over the ecosystem would require them to lock down the hard drives. They are, for the most part, interchangeable parts. Sony for example, does a pretty good job letting folks replace drives in the PS3, despite having a heavily DRM'd ecosystem similar to the type content owners want to be able to enforce with DVRs. The main benefit to locking down the drives is support costs, or if you can gain some benefit by doing something non standard (speed via a PCIe SSD for example).

And Apple's move towards less upgradable computers has more to do with their priorities in their products than anything else. It says that they value weight and battery life over upgradability or having the top-of-the-line specs. And it doesn't really help them a ton when it means warranty repairs are more costly to them, and require more training in their techs. But to make the devices lighter and smaller while keeping the same battery life, they have to make room for the battery while the chassis shrinks. The easiest things to kick out are all the casing and connectors that make parts replaceable. It all adds up fairly quickly. Now if we want to talk about the App Store, that is definitely Apple trying to control their ecosystem. But is a separate issue from upgradable hardware. You can have one without the other.

It isn't the "right" approach. I'm fairly neutral on it, I see it as different rather than better or worse. It depends on your own priorities when it comes to these things. It isn't the only approach that works either.

lol. I agree with this 100 percent. You spent the time to post what I was to lazy and unable to say... Thanks.