TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
gsusser

Roamio vs. Roamio Plus

Some stupid questions from an occasional TV watcher. I'm trying to decide between these models. Most of the differences I don't care about... the one of concern is streaming. What is the difference between TiVo streaming found in the Roamio vs. the Roamio Plus. Right now, I rarely use services such as netflix, hulu, etc., but who knows what the future holds. The only other concern is hard disk size. I rarely get past 75% full on my Premier, so I'm not overly concerned with having a bigger drive.

The only reason I'm even thinking about upgrading is because my Premier is starting to act flakey and I think it's on its way out (it's 2 or 3 years old).

Also, it seems only a few places are selling the devices and they're all advertised at list. TiVo offered me the Roamio for $150. Can I do better elsewhere?

Thanks.
gsusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
SugarBowl

The streaming services such as Netflix and hulu are the same for all roamio tivos. The difference in streaming between these models is concerning streaming of live Tv and recorded programs that are on your TiVo. The Roamio will require a Tivo Stream device (approx. $100) to watch your videos on an iphone/ipad. The Roamio Plus has this feature built-in and does not require a Tivo Stream.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
SugarBowl

oh, and $150 is probably the best price we'll see for awhile.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Series3Sub

Yeah, as much as I want (and will get a Roamio) I have decided to wait for things to calm down and get more reports (hope to not see an S5 version of the S3 capacitors or some such), and wait for the eventual deal for current subs or some such incentive in the coming months. Of course, I won't wait too long. Right now, TiVo seems to want MSRP and little flexibility on transfers. In time, they will loosen up.

I'm still hoping for a video on youtube from a sub to show us the Roamio in REAL LIFE use.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote