TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Streaming live TV outside the home with Roamio

So, it looks like the Roamio line will be able to stream live TV outside the home, correct? Basically, a built-in slingbox (Pro & Plus) if you will. When this feature comes, will it basically just use one of the Roamio's available tuners & not affect the current viewer?

I am hoping it works this way as I have looked into some slingbox type products that would work with TiVo, but all of them basically require changing the channel and would affect whoever is watching at that time. Having this non-intrusive feature on a Roamio would be great & could be a tipping point for me to get one.

Any thoughts?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Philmatic

Correct, also if you are watch a recorded show, no tuner is being used obviously.

The functionality is identical to the current in-home streaming implementation of the TiVo Stream.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
mcf57

I think I read somewhere that it will be available on the $199 entry level Roamio too, but an additional Stream will be needed. If so, is there any chance of getting this "live TV" (outside the home) feature with a stream and a Premiere 4 box (as I recently got one)? Or is this a pipe dream?

Last edited by mcf57 : 08-26-2013 at 03:45 PM.
mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcf57 View Post
I think I read somewhere that it will be available on the $199 entry level Roamio too, but an additional Stream will be needed. If so, is there any chance of getting this "live TV" (outside the home) feature with a stream and a Premiere 4 box (as I recently got one)? Or is this a pipe dream?
Definitely possible. I'm not sure though.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
holycrap

Most questions will be answered when the service is available and some not until well after it becomes available.
holycrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
mrizzo80

I hope TiVo offers an audio-only mode for cellular data connections. I could see myself streaming audio only in the car for certain programs (news, CNBC, Daily Show, etc).

According to this document, a high-quality Slingbox stream uses ~350MB per hour.

http://www.ehow.com/info_12184187_lo...-gb-limit.html
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philmatic View Post
The functionality is identical to the current in-home streaming implementation of the TiVo Stream.
Though I sure thought I saw mention of it in some reviews, I haven't been able to find it again.. are you sure it will be identical? as in the ability to DOWNLOAD when outside the home, not just stream?

Even inside the home, I *usually* download shows (and watch while downloading typically), just so I can skip around faster.. With it supposedly using adaptive quality (but maybe not as adaptive as it could be, based on some reviews), maybe it won't be able to download?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Though I sure thought I saw mention of it in some reviews, I haven't been able to find it again.. are you sure it will be identical? as in the ability to DOWNLOAD when outside the home, not just stream?

Even inside the home, I *usually* download shows (and watch while downloading typically), just so I can skip around faster.. With it supposedly using adaptive quality (but maybe not as adaptive as it could be, based on some reviews), maybe it won't be able to download?
I recall reading that both downloading and streaming will be available outside the home.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote