TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #571
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by series5orpremier View Post
My unmodified base Roamio says 'TiVo Customer Support' too, so no, they're not shaming you yet.
If they do, just tell them "It's a TiVo, I'm a Customer, and it needed to Support 3TB".

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-25-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: typo
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 AM   #572
Kobe_No_Means_No

I hope someone will try out a 4TB and let us know if it works!

I have a question, what is a difference between a Seagate Pipeline or WD Video drive vs a normal hard drive? Does it actually make a difference?
Kobe_No_Means_No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 AM   #573
Millionaire2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberloo View Post
Question for those of you who have installed a replacement drive, and also to those who haven't - what 'Manufacturer Brand' does your Roamio list in System Information? Mine has 'TiVo Customer Support' and I have a replacement drive installed. I'm curious if this is different on an unmodified unit.
I did "NOT" change my drive and my pro unit also says "TiVo Customer Support"
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #574
series5orpremier

I don't think 'Manufacturer Brand' refers to the hard drive but the box itself, and since it's a conglomeration of OEM parts they're saying 'call us if you have a hardware problem'.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #575
uberloo

Re: Manufacturer Brand

Thanks for your responses regarding "Manufacturer Brand" - happy to hear it's consistent across all units. I lol'd at lpwcomp's interpretation

I transferred several hundred GB of shows from an old Premiere to my Roamio yesterday without issues. I also used the new Netflix client for an impromptu binge viewing of the first season of 'The Fall'. It looked and sounded great. So far so good!
uberloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #576
Rkkeller

As a none techie, are people saying I can just put in a 2-3tb HD with nothing else done and it will run the guided setup and just work????

Also can someone please give me a link to a decent 3tb HD that will work? I don't want to order the wrong thing.

THANKS a lot..
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #577
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
Also can someone please give me a link to a decent 3tb HD that will work? I don't want to order the wrong thing.
Yes, it will just work. I'd get a 3TB WD AV-GP. I bought the 2TB version for my Basic.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #578
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Yes, it will just work. I'd get a 3TB WD AV-GP. I bought the 2TB version for my Basic.
Alot of peple must be ordering the Wd 3TB AV drives. Amazon had a bunch last week for around $137 but by Sunday there were only a few left. And everytime I checked it there were fewer until they were finally out. Since the price with shipping is around $8 more now and the drive is also more at Newegg. I had been considering the upgrade route but went with the Roamio Pro instead.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #579
monkeydust

Quote:
Any reason not to get the WD30EZRX instead?
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #580
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Wow. TCF crashed because it was too busy, so I'll shorten this post.

In Full Backup mode DvrBARS could care less what's on the drive. If it was a 10TB source and all zeroes it would end up with an image of a few hundred KB that I could analyze.

This Husky torx screwdriver is what I bought at Home Depot years ago. T4-T15 for about $6.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-I...4502/100087664

Images welcome (hint, hint).
I just backed up a blank 500Mb drive using DvrBARS, (I know it is blank because I did a low level format on the full drive) the file size was about 980Kb, and a restore was not possible with DvrBARS. The full backup took many hours, I will try this with the virgin 1Tb drive in my new Plus coming on the 28th, but I think the drive will be blank.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #581
Rkkeller

One other question so I can prepare as I want to order this week, what tools are needed to swap the HD's?

I also think I heard the model with the antenna is a little different???
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #582
ppartekim

Quote:
Yep, the one I ordered and it arrived this morning (a day early)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Alot of peple must be ordering the Wd 3TB AV drives. Amazon had a bunch last week for around $137 but by Sunday there were only a few left. And everytime I checked it there were fewer until they were finally out. Since the price with shipping is around $8 more now and the drive is also more at Newegg. I had been considering the upgrade route but went with the Roamio Pro instead.
Basically, after amseven11 showed how easy the upgrade was, the floodgates opened and folks started buying (including me). Since the 4TB are still expensive and there is a rumor of a possible hitch in using the 4TB, most are playing safe with the 3TB.

So, it doesn't surprise me at all that Amazon is currently out of WD AV-GP 3TB drives.
ppartekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #583
ppartekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
One other question so I can prepare as I want to order this week, what tools are needed to swap the HD's?

I also think I heard the model with the antenna is a little different???
Have you looked at Post #1? amseven11 updated it with what he used for his upgrade on a basic.. probably the same tools for the other two.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #584
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
Any reason not to get the WD30EZRX instead?
2-yr warranty vs. 3-yr, no support for ATA streaming command set, which may or may not be necessary.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #585
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
2-yr warranty vs. 3-yr, no support for ATA streaming command set, which may or may not be necessary.
Thank you.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #586
chg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yeah, it keeps going in and out of stock, directly from Amazon. Anyone interested should just keep checking.
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #587
Rebate_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppartekim View Post
probably the same tools for the other two.
I'm not sure sure about that. It looks like the plus and pro have the same chasis as the premiere boxes. I'm guessing you would only need one tool for those models.

Can anyone confirm for sure?
Rebate_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #588
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe_No_Means_No View Post

I have a question, what is a difference between a Seagate Pipeline or WD Video drive vs a normal hard drive? Does it actually make a difference?
Yeah, really hoping someone will try the 4TB Seagate drive. I'm tempted to do it when I get a Roamio but I don't really have any use for a 4TB drive outside of the Tivo.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #589
series5orpremier

The increased demand also caused the 2TB to go up $2 in price on Amazon; glad I ordered mine before that.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #590
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe_No_Means_No View Post
Weaknees has said there are issues trying to use 4TB. So I think you will find most people here reluctant to try one, unless they happen to have one laying around they are willing to play with. Certainly no one would buy one just for this purpose, until more info is available.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #591
TC25D

I have to chuckle every time I read yet another post from someone who wants someone else to perform an experiment.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #592
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I just backed up a blank 500Mb drive using DvrBARS, (I know it is blank because I did a low level format on the full drive) the file size was about 980Kb, and a restore was not possible with DvrBARS. The full backup took many hours, I will try this with the virgin 1Tb drive in my new Plus coming on the 28th, but I think the drive will be blank.
I kinda agree with you. That is still useful information once we can verify it. Another important information point is what partitions are actually created / stored right after the drive is ready for prime time.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #593
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I kinda agree with you. That is still useful information once we can verify it. Another important information point is what partitions are actually created / stored right after the drive is ready for prime time.
I get my Plus on the 28th and will be testing as much as I can.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #594
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
That was a very good idea, to try that.

I wonder why it took so long... I used DVRBARS, in Full-Backup Mode, to backup a TiVo HD 2TB drive as well as a Premiere 2-tuner 2TB drive. It only took 4 hours, per drive, via USB3-to-SATA3 StarTech dual drive dock, on a three year old budget laptop, with a USB3 SIIG expresscard adapter (NEC chipset), running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

EDIT/ADD: I did change the priority level in Task Manager to "realtime" for DVRBARS, and made sure nothing unnecessary was running, as well as not doing any other tasks. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I never tried leaving the priority at "normal", just to see if it did.

I also bought a similar StarTech dual drive dock, with one bay for PATA, but it wouldn't work, the drive(s) would just make horrible noises once spun-up, and would spin-down, spin-back up, and DVRBARS aborted. Likely was unlucky enough to get a bad dock, and waited over 30 days to try it out...

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-26-2013 at 06:58 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #595
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
I have to chuckle every time I read yet another post from someone who wants someone else to perform an experiment.
Not everyone has a 4TB drive lying around. I have a dozen 3TB drives in use but no 4TB drives. If I had the Plus and a 4TB drive I would give it a try.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #596
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
If there was a store that would let me return the drive if it didnt work I'd probably give it a try.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #597
ppartekim

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
If there was a store that would let me return the drive if it didnt work I'd probably give it a try.
Guess you don't live near a Fry's then...
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #598
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Amazon.com
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #599
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppartekim View Post
Guess you don't live near a Fry's then...
85% of the country doesnt live "near a Frys" and for those that do its often a 1+ hour drive each way.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #600
NYHeel

Don't live near a Frys and amazon doesn't have the Seagate pipeline drive at 4TB.