TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #241
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
I have Comcast. I see 57 or 58 Mbps download http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2918120644 Sometimes I see what you are seeing and sometimes I don't. 98% of the time I don't.
I see this every time I use Netflix, but ONLY when using TiVo. My Apple TV, and the TV's Netflix app don't have this problem. It is so annoying.

My thought is that the TiVo is slow in flagging the /24 FPS, and that is why it blanks out. Do you know if there is another thread addressing this issue? I don't want to hijack this thread with my problem.

My speed test:

DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #242
JWhites

Maybe it has something to do with SuperHD? https://help.netflix.com/article/en/node/512 I know Comcast and Verizon FiOS don't currently support it although our equipment does. The only threads I'm aware of regarding this issue is on the DSLreport forums. Regarding why we don't see the stuttering on other devices is because for example my PS3 outputs 1080p natively when it's simply running, so when I'm launching Netflix or Youtube or Hulu Plus or whatever, it's still outputting 1080p, even if the video content isn't, it simply upscales whatever resolution that video content is to 1080p. I'm assuming the same is being done on the Apple TV. I'm not sure regarding the TV Netflix app since how that works varies per model and brand. The only time my PS3 outputs something lower then 1080p is when I'm playing a videogame.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #243
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Latest Amazon 1 Star Review on the Roamio Base Model...
I like the response to that review:
Quote:
Samuel J. Biller says:
Would it be more stars if they added those features and it cost $299?
1 star is ridiculous.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #244
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Latest Amazon 1 Star Review on the Roamio Base Model...
Why would someone not read the specs, then rate it low for specs that are clearly listed all over the site? Every complaint he has except the composite connector is listed on the site. I would report it as an invalid review, because that is what it is.

It would be like buying a $20 blue, air-filled, latex balloon, then complaining that it was blue instead of red, too expensive, didn't float because it was not filled with helium, and pops when hit with a needle. Duh.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #245
elwaylite

I replied to the guy and reported the review.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #246
series5orpremier

That guy only has 3 1-star reviews and 1 2-star review in the last three years and hardly anyone finds them helpful. If the product doesn't meet your needs then don't buy it, you don't have to give it a trashy review. That's like me going onto Amazon and giving all the feminine products 1-star reviews because I'm a guy and can't use them.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #247
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I see this every time I use Netflix, but ONLY when using TiVo. My Apple TV, and the TV's Netflix app don't have this problem. It is so annoying.

My thought is that the TiVo is slow in flagging the /24 FPS, and that is why it blanks out. Do you know if there is another thread addressing this issue? I don't want to hijack this thread with my problem.

My speed test:
The blanking is caused by the tv switching from 1080p to 1080p/24. Same thing as when you first play a bluray with 24p content.

Netflix at 24p only happens on the higher quality 1080p streams ... Think 5800kbps and 4300kbps.

It should only ever happen once though. If it happens often then for whatever reason the netflix client is unable to hold the hq streams.

You don't see it on Apple TV because Apple TV doesn't output 1080p/24. No idea about your tvs netflix client but I expect its not 1080p/24 either
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #248
elwaylite

Still impressed by the PQ from Amazon 1080p/24 tv show downloads.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #249
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
The blanking is caused by the tv switching from 1080p to 1080p/24. Same thing as when you first play a bluray with 24p content.

Netflix at 24p only happens on the higher quality 1080p streams ... Think 5800kbps and 4300kbps.

It should only ever happen once though. If it happens often then for whatever reason the netflix client is unable to hold the hq streams.

You don't see it on Apple TV because Apple TV doesn't output 1080p/24. No idea about your tvs netflix client but I expect its not 1080p/24 either
The 3850kbps streams are also 1080P24. As well as the two SuperHD streams you mentioned.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #250
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
Wow, thank you! I had no idea this program existed...have just been using pytivo.
Unless I'm wrong, pytivo and kmttg are "opposites" of each other. Pytivo is a way to get shows on your computer BACK to the Tivo... kmttg is a way to get shows on your Tivo to your computer (as well as a bunch of other functionality nowadays).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #251
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Got mine hooked up several hours ago. Took an hour or so for all the setup and cable card and crap.

WOW. *THIS* is what the Premiere should have been. It is *RESPONSIVE*.... *FINALLY*. The UI still has some annoyances, like unnecessary animation and no sound effects(with a real AMP) and the newest one is the stupid-ass "what to watch now" they stupidly put in "My shows". But the font is so much sharper and easier to read, and things just seem to happen immediately when selecting or moving.

Granted, I have only actually been using it a few hours, but so far, I am VERY happy I switched. Have never used the multi-TiVo stuff before, and that is slick too.

If they would just give us more control over WHAT is in "My Shows", including custom folders... and ANDROID STREAMING, I will be silly happy.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:13 AM   #252
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Unless I'm wrong, pytivo and kmttg are "opposites" of each other. Pytivo is a way to get shows on your computer BACK to the Tivo... kmttg is a way to get shows on your Tivo to your computer (as well as a bunch of other functionality nowadays).
pyTivo goes both ways. But yeah, to the TiVo is its main function.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #253
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The 3850kbps streams are also 1080P24. As well as the two SuperHD streams you mentioned.
It looks like if the content is truly 24fps, then it will play at 1080p24, even if it has to upscale. At least for my TV where I only have 1080p and 1080p24 enabled on the TiVo. I had the stream reporting SD, but the TV was reporting 1080p24.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #254
Kobe_No_Means_No

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
If they would just give us more control over WHAT is in "My Shows", including custom folders... and ANDROID STREAMING, I will be silly happy.
I highly recommend getting a Slingbox. I have my Roamio hooked up to my Slingbox 500 and it's awesome. Streaming works on any platform and the quality is great.
Kobe_No_Means_No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #255
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe_No_Means_No View Post
I highly recommend getting a Slingbox. I have my Roamio hooked up to my Slingbox 500 and it's awesome. Streaming works on any platform and the quality is great.
I had a slingbox HD and could barely tolerate it. Terrible control lag and highly unstable audio/video.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #256
Rose4uKY

My Roamio will be here tomorrow and we have to return the Premiere I have an email from Tivo with all the return info. But I just realized we have a bunch of shows on our Premiere that I don't want to lose. Like all the concerts he records on AXS TV. How can we save those do we have to hook up both Tivos and just let shows transfer while were at work? There's a lot but I would like to transfer as many as we can.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #257
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I had a slingbox HD and could barely tolerate it. Terrible control lag and highly unstable audio/video.
Couldn't agree more... tried a while ago and returned after few days.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #258
Beryl

Quote:

Not my experience. I've had every model since the first one through the HD and they've all been excellent. The HD is the best of the lot. I'm loving the WD Live TV player. Admittedly, when Slingboxes don't work (usually a network thing), it is irritating. I hope some vendor (TiVo?) steps up to challenge Slingmedia in the placeshifting space. Belkin (Monsoon Tech) has not come close.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #259
HarperVision

Quote:

Really? I have a TiVo PXL into a Slingbox Pro-HD slinging from Philly to Hawaii using a WDTV sling app and its very good quality and stability. One thing that baffles me though is that I get about 2.4 MBps stream using the WDTV app, but when I use the old Slingplayer program on my PC I get about 3.4 Mbps and the image is noticeably better as well. I wonder why the wdtv is throttled back?

I'm thinking it was something in the network conditions causing your issues.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 AM   #260
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Do you mean switching from 1080i to 1080p? When running through my video processor, or the display on my second TV, I can verify that the TiVo Netflix output runs at 1080i and then switches to 1080p.

Quote:

Yes. That makes sense. I'm still thinking that TiVo is slow in recognizing the /24 flag because the first time the screen blanks is always after the show has started.

Based on what you have said above: When the screen blanks more than once, or at other times throughout the show, it's because the TV is losing the /24 signal because the Netflix client can't hold the signal, my internet connection is slowing down, or the TiVo is having problems passing the signal. Correct? I'm inclined to look to the TiVo first as other people have seen this problem, and my guess is that the TiVo is the only thing we have in common.

I can't tell if my both of TV's Netflix clients support /24p because the menu that shows what resolution is being displayed is not available when the Netflix client is running.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #261
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
... WOW. *THIS* is what the Premiere should have been. It is *RESPONSIVE*.... *FINALLY*. The UI still has some annoyances, like unnecessary animation and no sound effects(with a real AMP) and the newest one is the stupid-ass "what to watch now" they stupidly put in "My shows". ...
What to Watch is in My Shows, or is it separate - across the top, to the left of the live show playing in the upper right hand corner?
Old 08-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #262
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Really? I have a TiVo PXL into a Slingbox Pro-HD slinging from Philly to Hawaii using a WDTV sling app and its very good quality and stability. One thing that baffles me though is that I get about 2.4 MBps stream using the WDTV app, but when I use the old Slingplayer program on my PC I get about 3.4 Mbps and the image is noticeably better as well. I wonder why the wdtv is throttled back?

I'm thinking it was something in the network conditions causing your issues.
I have multiple WDTV Live Hubs with 1TB internal drives, and though the network spec on them is gigabit, I have never seen a throughput higher than ~100Mbit. It's the ONLY thing I DON'T love about them. I like that they have NAS capability, but hate that data throughput gets so throttled.

I can only imagine how bad the wireless capable models must work (unless they somehow work better).
Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #263
HarperVision

Thanks but why would this effect a minimal 2-4Mbps Internet stream?
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #264
Rose4uKY

deleted

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.

Last edited by Rose4uKY : 08-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #265
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I have multiple WDTV Live Hubs with 1TB internal drives, and though the network spec on them is gigabit, I have never seen a throughput higher than ~100Mbit. It's the ONLY thing I DON'T love about them. I like that they have NAS capability, but hate that data throughput gets so throttled.

I can only imagine how bad the wireless capable models must work (unless they somehow work better).
if it wasn't for the slow transfer speeds the WDTV Live Hub would be pert near perfect!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #266
Kolenka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
What to Watch is in My Shows, or is it separate - across the top, to the left of the live show playing in the upper right hand corner?
It is in the main menu, right underneath "My Shows". I actually find it kinda useful, since it gives me a bigger list of things currently on, and does help filter the guide a bit. I can see how not everyone would agree though.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #267
TheWizz

Just left the dark side (DT*) for Roamio Pro

I've been with DTV for a decade now, but they finally ticked me off to the point of no return, and Comcast offered to give me free cable for a year, so... I'm diving into the Tivo waters!

I just received the Roamio Pro a few days ago and installed it last night. The setup took about an hour by the time it did all its updates. Weird that it needed an update so soon when I bought it direct from Tivo.

The setup was pretty easy. I'm struggling to learn the "Tivo way" vs. DTV DVRs, which I've used for about 8 years. Before that I had ReplayTV. I currently have the H34 (Genie) and GenieGO, so I can record 5 shows and download shows to my iPAD or stream them around the home or off-site/remotely. No issues with the technology, just the technology provider.

I setup a few sample recordings last night and plan to phase-in the Tivo after it has all my shows recording and I am caught-up on all my shows on the H34 before I cancel DTV. One thing I found interesting is that this morning it warned me that one of my shows from last night would be deleted soon. WHAT?!? I still have about 440 hours of HD recording left and it is warning me about deleting a show so soon? I did set it up as delete when space needed, but with so much space left, I am wondering if this is some sort of bug? I had another issue where it wouldn't give me a Season Pass option for my 9PM Fox News show, but would for my 10PM ABC/CBS/NBC News shows. Kind of weird. I may submit a request in the forum for both these issues to see if anyone else has run into them. Other than that, the setup went pretty well and I'm just trying to get over the learning curve so I can kick DTV to the curb!
TheWizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #268
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizz View Post
I setup a few sample recordings last night and plan to phase-in the Tivo after it has all my shows recording and I am caught-up on all my shows on the H34 before I cancel DTV. One thing I found interesting is that this morning it warned me that one of my shows from last night would be deleted soon. WHAT?!? I still have about 440 hours of HD recording left and it is warning me about deleting a show so soon? I did set it up as delete when space needed, but with so much space left, I am wondering if this is some sort of bug? I had another issue where it wouldn't give me a Season Pass option for my 9PM Fox News show, but would for my 10PM ABC/CBS/NBC News shows. Kind of weird. I may submit a request in the forum for both these issues to see if anyone else has run into them. Other than that, the setup went pretty well and I'm just trying to get over the learning curve so I can kick DTV to the curb!
If you're talking about the icon in the now playing list, that's just meaning it might be deleted (i.e., it's not prevented from being deleted if space is needed). It doesn't mean it's going to be deleted. Things won't just get deleted without necessity.

One thing I suggest is don't start setting "keep until I delete" options on most/every season pass. That does affect how the receiver will estimate the need for space and may result in spurious warnings that you won't have enough space for recordings. Anything you regularly watch/delete should just generally be left to be automatically dealt with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #269
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
It is in the main menu, right underneath "My Shows". I actually find it kinda useful, since it gives me a bigger list of things currently on, and does help filter the guide a bit. I can see how not everyone would agree though.
No, it [What to Watch] is in the main menu *AND* in "My Shows". It has NO BUSINESS being in "My Shows". It is not "My" choice, and it is not a "Show".

I have ZERO problem with it being on the main menu. And I would have no problem with it being in My Shows *IF WE COULD OPT TO TURN IT OFF" like the other crap they keep shoving in My Shows...
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #270
Kolenka

Quote:
No, it [What to Watch] is in the main menu *AND* in "My Shows". It has NO BUSINESS being in "My Shows". It is not "My" choice, and it is not a "Show".

I have ZERO problem with it being on the main menu. And I would have no problem with it being in My Shows *IF WE COULD OPT TO TURN IT OFF" like the other crap they keep shoving in My Shows...
Ah, now I see what you mean... they did add it at the end of the My Shows list. I've ignored it like I ignore everything else at the end of that list. :|