TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #61
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

We have information on our website discussing CableCARDs that don't support six tuners on Roamio:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2566/

Click on "CableCARD Troubleshooting" and then "I have Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro, but only four tuners are working".

We are aware that Comcast is in the process of updating the firmware on their Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cards in five markets (Memphis, TN; Naples, FL; Sarasota, FL; Redlands, FL; West Palm, FL) which should be completed in October. If you are in one of these markets, please use the code on the help page to set your number of tuners to 4, until their update is complete.
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #62
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We have information on our website discussing CableCARDs that don't support six tuners on Roamio:

Click on "CableCARD Troubleshooting" and then "I have Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro, but only four tuners are working".

We are aware that Comcast is in the process of updating the firmware on their Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cards in five markets (Memphis, TN; Naples, FL; Sarasota, FL; Redlands, FL; West Palm, FL) which should be completed in October. If you are in one of these markets, please use the code on the help page to set your number of tuners to 4, until their update is complete.
The article states:

"CableCARDs must meet minimum firmware requirements to support the 6-tuner functionality of Roamio Plus and Pro. If your CableCARD firmware is outdated, your Roamio Plus or Pro will only have four tuners available for use. However, the DVR will continue to schedule recordings as if all six tuners were working, which will result in missing or blank recordings from the two non-functional tuners.

The following CableCARD firmware versions are capable of handling six tuners:

Motorola CableCARDs — version 2.65 or later
Cisco/Scientific Atlanta CableCARDs — OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2.2801"

but my firmware is 1.5.2.3001 and I only can get 5 tuners.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #63
generaltso

Quote:
According to the support site, SA Cable Cards with OS version PKEY1.5.2.2801 should support 6 tuners. Since my SA cards are running PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 (which I assume is newer), this issue shouldn't be affecting me, correct?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #64
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:

Click on "CableCARD Troubleshooting" and then "I have Roamio Plus or Roamio Pro, but only four tuners are working". ...
Thank you for the information!

Last edited by DCIFRTHS : 08-26-2013 at 03:22 PM.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #65
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo

If you have firmware at or above the versions indicated on our website as supported, please:

1. Go to one of the non-working tuners in Live TV and enter 9-1-1-CLEAR and then 7-7-7-CLEAR. (This adds info to the logs.)

2. Go to Settings > Network and "Connect to the TiVo Service" TWICE. (This sends us the logs.)

3. After both calls are complete, please email me (margret@tivo.com) with the title "Roamio: less than 6 tuners" and include:
- your TiVo Service Number (TSN)
- the date/time you did step #1

Thanks!
--Margret
TiVo Inc. *

TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #66
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf View Post
The article states:

"CableCARDs must meet minimum firmware requirements to support the 6-tuner functionality of Roamio Plus and Pro. If your CableCARD firmware is outdated, your Roamio Plus or Pro will only have four tuners available for use. However, the DVR will continue to schedule recordings as if all six tuners were working, which will result in missing or blank recordings from the two non-functional tuners.

The following CableCARD firmware versions are capable of handling six tuners:

Motorola CableCARDs — version 2.65 or later
Cisco/Scientific Atlanta CableCARDs — OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2.2801"

but my firmware is 1.5.2.3001 and I only can get 5 tuners.
I think the Motorola version info is wrong then. It should be 6.25 or later, not 2.65 or later.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #67
andyf

Well that's interesting. After going back to 6 tuners, the 6th tuner suddenly kicked in and started working, maybe the 6th stream in the card got re-initialized.

The only different thing I did was to enable 5 tuners, reboot (presumably to force use of the 5 good streams) and then re-enable the 6th tuner (maybe reinitialized the stream). All 6 are working now.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #68
generaltso

Quote:
Well that's interesting. After going back to 6 tuners, the 6th tuner suddenly kicked in and started working, maybe the 6th stream in the card got re-initialized.
Or maybe it got authorized and one of the other tuners got unauthorized. That's the kind of thing I'm seeing. It's not always the same tuners that aren't authorized. They seem to jump around.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #69
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I think the Motorola version info is wrong then. It should be 6.25 or later, not 2.65 or later.
I just checked mine.
FW = 2.65
FW* = 6.25
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #70
andyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Or maybe it got authorized and one of the other tuners got unauthorized. That's the kind of thing I'm seeing. It's not always the same tuners that aren't authorized. They seem to jump around.
Nope. I checked all 6 tuners and they are all working on encrypted channels fine.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #71
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
I just checked mine.
FW = 2.65
FW* = 6.25
Status page for me shows FW* 6.25 and there are no numbers for "FW".

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #72
generaltso

Quote:
Nope. I checked all 6 tuners and they are all working on encrypted channels fine.
Nice. Hopefully they stay that way.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #73
geekaren
TiVo Rocks, eh?!

Quote:
According to the support site, SA Cable Cards with OS version PKEY1.5.2.2801 should support 6 tuners. Since my SA cards are running PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 (which I assume is newer), this issue shouldn't be affecting me, correct?
I think you should be okay. My SA cable card is running PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001 and I don't seem to be having problems recording concurrently on all 6 tuners (from what I'm seeing so far... the Roamio box just arrived this afternoon).

Here's how I checked -
I selected 6 movies (from premium channels like HBO, TMC, Cinemax, Starz) that all ran more or less concurrently. I was able to toggle "Live TV" to see the expected movie on each of the 6 tuners. I also went into "My Shows" and started to play each recorded movie to see that it wasn't a black screen. Each looked fine, though I didn't play each movie to the end (yet :-).
Pioneer DVR-57H (retired)
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #74
temitch

Motorola CableCard Firmware Verion

My Cablecard FW Version shows FW Version: 03.31, 02.65, 03.25
Hope that the 02.65 in the middle number means I have a version that supports 6 tuners.
temitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #75
generaltso

I put in the new PKM801 and had Comcast pair it. But this card has FW version PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401, which is older than what's supposed to support 6 streams. I guess now I'll just have to wait for the firmware to upgrade itself to 3001 to see if the new card fixes the issue.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #76
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Here's one thing I found at the end of the CA screens. What looks like the sixth stream in the CC doesn't have any numbers associated with it.
What do you make of this? See pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2635.jpg (76.8 KB, 155 views)
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #77
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
I put in the new PKM801 and had Comcast pair it. But this card has FW version PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1401, which is older than what's supposed to support 6 streams. I guess now I'll just have to wait for the firmware to upgrade itself to 3001 to see if the new card fixes the issue.
Not sure how Comcast works, but with Cox and SA/Cisco CCs, as soon as you insert the new CableCARD, within 15 minutes the latest Firmware automatically starts to download (the TiVo pops up the Black CC screen informing you of this) and takes about 15-20 minutes to complete.

Sometimes a reboot of the TiVo is required to complete the CC FW install, after the CC menu has been displayed for over 30 minutes, otherwise the TiVo will just revert back to normal operation.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #78
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I think you may be right. When I posted to Margaret, I didn't even list the FW version (it wasn't populated). I only listed the FW* version.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...40#post9785340
Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #79
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Status page for me shows FW* 6.25 and there are no numbers for "FW".
I have FiOS, and mine displays the same info as you.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:01 PM   #80
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I hope it works for you. Keep us posted.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #81
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Not sure how Comcast works, but with Cox and SA/Cisco CCs, as soon as you insert the new CableCARD, within 15 minutes the latest Firmware automatically starts to download (the TiVo pops up the Black CC screen informing you of this) and takes about 15-20 minutes to complete.
That's generally how it's worked for me in the past as well. But that doesn't seem to be happening this time. The new cable card has been in the Roamio since yesterday, and it still hasn't updated its firmware, so I'm stuck on 1401. I noticed that the CP screen also still says "Waiting for CP Auth". But the card is paired and my channels are working (on 4 tuners), so obviously it's not really waiting for authorization. But maybe whatever it's waiting for is preventing the firmware update?

This sucks. Now I'm going in the wrong direction.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #82
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
That's generally how it's worked for me in the past as well. But that doesn't seem to be happening this time. The new cable card has been in the Roamio since yesterday, and it still hasn't updated its firmware, so I'm stuck on 1401. I noticed that the CP screen also still says "Waiting for CP Auth". But the card is paired and my channels are working (on 4 tuners), so obviously it's not really waiting for authorization. But maybe whatever it's waiting for is preventing the firmware update?

This sucks. Now I'm going in the wrong direction.
That is definitely wrong, It should say:
Auth Status: CP Auth Received

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2571

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #83
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
That is definitely wrong, It should say:
Auth Status: CP Auth Received
Yup, that's what the old card says. But I don't understand how the new card is working at all if it hasn't received authorization from Comcast. Any time I've ever seen a card say "Waiting for CP Auth", the encrypted channels don't work. But channels are all working fine (on 4 tuners). I'm going to have to call Comcast again when I get home tonight, but something tells me they aren't going to have any idea what I'm talking about. Now I kinda wish I kept the old card.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #84
Rose4uKY

My Roamio just came but we just moved and got a premiere 3 weeks ago and Time Warner gave us a new card. I am hoping that card works with our new box and we get all 6 tuners. I know before ours was a Motorola card not sure if it still is. But now I want to unpack the Roamio and ship back the Premiere..

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #85
jgerry
save vinyl

Quote:
I just checked mine.
FW = 2.65
FW* = 6.25
I'll add to the data pool since mine is different:

Motorola
FW* 06.25
FW 05.23

I'm not sure what this means to me yet, my Roamio arrives today so I'll know soon I guess.
jgerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #86
lessd

Quote:
I just checked mine.
FW = 2.65
FW* = 6.25
That exactly what I have on my Comcast Moto cards.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #87
brianm729

I have been getting a V58 error message with my outdated cable cards. I enabled 4 tuners and have not seen this error message since, but some channels randomly will not tune. I can switch tuners or change the channel a few times and it will usually work again. Is this related to the outdated cable card firmware? Or am I dealing with 2 different issues. I am getting pretty frustrated.
brianm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #88
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm729 View Post
I enabled 4 tuners and have not seen this error message since, but some channels randomly will not tune.
Did you reboot the TiVo after dropping down to 4 tuners?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #89
brianm729

Quote:
Did you reboot the TiVo after dropping down to 4 tuners?
I did and from what I can tell it us only using 4 tuners and I no longer see the V58 error. I am now just getting a black screen or channel not authorized message. If I switch tuners then switch back, or change the channel a couple times it seems to fix itself. I'm trying to figure out if this is related to the firmware or a different issue. Comcast has repaired my cards about 5 times now.
brianm729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #90
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm729 View Post
I did and from what I can tell it us only using 4 tuners and I no longer see the V58 error. I am now just getting a black screen or channel not authorized message. If I switch tuners then switch back, or change the channel a couple times it seems to fix itself. I'm trying to figure out if this is related to the firmware or a different issue. Comcast has repaired my cards about 5 times now.
If you're seeing "channel not authorized" messages, it could very well be the same issue.